Scoop on Bones' Delivery Date and Baby Name, 'Intense' Season Finale Teases, Season 9 (!) Talk

Get More: PaleyFest, Scoop

Bones SpoilersBones fans attending PaleyFest 2012 Thursday night had a ringside seat to a most blessed event: The birth of Booth and Brennan’s daughter!

Prior to the Q&A (moderated by TVLine’s fearless leader Michael Ausiello) with the show’s cast and producers, attendees were treated to an exclusive screening of the show’s April 2 spring premiere, an action-packed, super-eventful episode that culminated with the arrival of tiny Bones.

Not surprisingly, the delivery was anything but smooth. Let’s just say it started in the midst of a prison riot and ended in a… well, not a hospital (to view the hilarious set piece, click here and scroll down to question No. 13.)

Later, Emily Deschanel insisted that her real-life delivery — son Henry was born in September — was far less dramatic than Brennan’s. “The experience was completely different,” she laughed.

The episode’s emotional high point came in the final minutes when Brennan revealed the name of her and Booth’s bundle of joy (hint: the wee little one is named after two very special women in Brennan’s life).

And how will Booth’s son Parker react to his new half-sister? “You’ll see,” said executive producer Stephen Nathan. “That’s a pretty interesting episode, and not what you’d expect.”

Other topics covered during the PaleyFest panel:

GRAND FINALE | Perhaps the most tantalizing topic was the Season 7 finale, which is being directed by Boreanaz himself. Though the shortened, 13-episode season didn’t allow for many appearances by big baddie Christopher Pelant, “He will show up in the finale and change the course the series for a while,” says Nathan. How so…? “It’ll be a really, ‘Oh my God, how could that person do that?!’ moment,” Boreanaz told us. “That’s all I’m going to say. And it’s pretty intense. It’s not happy.”

BABY + BONES = ??? | Regarding the setting for Brennan’s childbirth  — OK, we’ll say it: she delivers in a stable! — Deschanel was on board with the unconventional venue, as she personally could see Brennan “going to some tribe and having some ritual [during labor] with some women around her.” As for how or if the baby will change the show, “It’s still Bones,” Nathan promised. “We’re not gonna do Parenthood. There’s still going to be someone dead and something revolting… but this baby informs their lives in a completely different way. The show takes a very different turn from a character point of view.”

THE DOC IS STILL IN | “Booth and Sweets [in the field together] is really amusing and works for us,” so look forward to more of that even after Brennan’s back on her feet, Hanson said.

NO MONDAY BLAHS | Hanson called Bones‘ move to Monday nights a “good” thing. “I know we’re supposed to be so upset, [but] we’ve always wanted to be with House and we’re a good match with House. So, we’re up for it.”

ZACK ATTACK? | Fielding an audience member’s inquiry as to whether Eric Milligan might appear as Zack again, Hanson explained that the trick is to find a return story that satisfies longtime viewers but doesn’t alienate new fans. “We have to juggle whether to pick that scab or not,” he said. “If we find something that makes it worthwhile, and Eric is available, then we’ll do it.”

BONUS BONES | Asked about the four “bonus” episodes Fox tacked onto this season… or in front of next season… or somewhere in between… Hanson said the scheduling was still TBD and that the hours would be extremely standalone, yet presumably cover a time period preceding the season finale. “They exist in their own separate universe… so they literally can go anywhere.”

BUT WAIT, THERE’S EVEN MORE? | At one point, Hanson freely referred to Season 9, inviting the question of whether he believes the show will be renewed past next season. “In many ways, Bones is Fox’s most successful hour-long scripted drama,” he contended. “So I’m very confident we’ll be back for Seasons 8 and 9.”

THE PRODUCERS’ TO-DO LIST | The significance of the numbers 4-4-7, which are occasionally sprinkled into scenes (including at least one more time this season), will be revealed “in the last episode of Bones,” Hanson promised. But before anyone gets talking series finale, there’s all this on the bucket list: “Hodgins’ brother, Angela’s mother, Booth’s mother…. These are all places we have to go.”

And how about going to the chapel…? “If they ever get married,” Hanson hedged, “we’ll see a wedding.”

Tags: ,

Comments (167)

• I’d just like to point out…

Am I the only one who remembers that Hodgins said he was the SOLE HEIR to the Cantilever Group?! How can he have a brother?! :/

That is all.

Comment by Alyssa – March 10, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’ve already released the name…it’s to be Christine Angela Booth.

Comment by Jenna – March 10, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Hanson said in the last paragraph “bucket list” for when they have their final season. But how can Hodgin’s have a brother … I thought he was the only heir to his family fortune. Did I miss something in pass seasons?

Comment by Rosalinda – March 10, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Following the Paley Fest there has been a lot of information puy out there and true fans of the show should be able to take the rough with the smooth. I have followed the show from the pilot and am still interested in the evolution of this show and it’s characters. Failure to make any changes will kill a show and therefore it’s hats of to the EPs for recognising this and taking their show forward. Of course I have routed for B&B to come together, but can never expect them to have an easy ride. Long time fans may not like it, but should expect it. The show has changed quite extensively but I am still interested in where it is going to take me as a fan. Good Luck to all the cast and crew. I hope we don’t have to wait too long here in the UK for the next episodes

Comment by CarlagUK – March 10, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Will air in the UK in April too.

Comment by Alison – March 10, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It certainly would NOT be Joy OR Ruth because Joy is not Brennan’s name, she wouldn’t really want the reminder that her parents were robbers and had to go into hiding. Ruth is a HUGE no because she knew her mother as Christine Brennan, so she’s probably going to name the baby Christine Angela Booth. Christine Booth sounds lovely.

Comment by Gabrielle – March 10, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The reason the baby got thrown in so quickly was because Emily was pregnant in real life and they didn’t want to push the show back for so long to wait for her to give birth. By including the baby in the story Emily was able to continie shooting during her pregnancy and keeping the show on time with nlrnal release.times for the season.

Comment by Sammi – March 10, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching bones since it started many seasons ago ……..I work in a pathology lab as a Technologists histologist and I love how bones finds who the person is Medical Examiner way……..

Comment by Barbara – March 10, 2012 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What time on Monday night? We love Bones and Castle. Sure hope yhey arr not opposite each other.

Comment by Lori – March 10, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joy wasn’t Brennan’s mom’s name, it was Brennan’s birth name but her parents changed it when they had to go into hiding.

Comment by Abby – March 10, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Angela Joy sounds wonderful for the name!

Comment by Mickey – March 10, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s wrong with the name Christine?!?!

Comment by Christine – March 10, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really looking forward to seeing the next season of bones but come on it is just a tv show it’s not real life…

Comment by Melanie sims – March 10, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love, love, love Bones!! I got acquainted almost 2 years ago in the summer. After that, I got Netflix and watched it from the beginning and began watching on TV at the beginning of Season 6. Can’t wait to see all that happens from now to the end of Season 7!!

Comment by Vic – March 10, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I simply cnt wait for the return of bones. why cnt we hv a movie.be so awesome best show ever..

Comment by steven madden – March 10, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even tho Brennan’s mother’s “real” name was Ruth….Brennan knew her as “Christine”…so I believe it will be some combo of Christine and Angela for the babies name. I’m guessing “Angela Christine”…Christine Angela just doesn’t sound right…lol. I don’t think Brennan’s real name “Joy” will have any part in the baby name. They said two important women in Brennan’s life…y would they use Joy? It doesn’t even make sense.

Comment by Ashley – March 10, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t there a episode that Brennan told Angela that if she ever had a baby girl, she would name it after her? I think it was the one when her father was on trial for murder and Angela was in jail because she wouldn’t testify.

Comment by Tricia – March 10, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He will, but nothing harmful in this episode. More like a very real threat. Something dark just b4 the delivery???

Comment by Christine – March 10, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOTHING

Comment by Christine – March 10, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bones..I have watched it from the beginning. I have waited all these years for the two of them to get together..I was dissapointed that there is not more romantic moments between them, but I will not stop watching them.. This is my all time favorite show..I am 69 year old grandmother, and I have loved every minute except when Booth had the other girl friend ..That was heart breking for me..Love the show and Castle is my number 2 show….. Can hardly wait for April 2 to come aroung………………..

Comment by Ann Trest – March 10, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think that she gnna name her after angelea and after her mother. And I think that parker is gnna love his sister.

Comment by Lydia – March 10, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo miss Zack….love the show great group of actors and actresses!!!

Comment by Tracy Tardiff – March 10, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To those who were wondering, Bones will be on at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time on Mondays. House is moving to 9:00 p.m.!

Comment by Wendy – March 10, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure but it appears producers, management looking for a way to dump bones, move to Monday’s. Monday night football, going to show another rerun of finder calling it bones , scheduling 3-4 episodes then forcing fans to wait months for next show, now only 13 episodes,(does that include finder). Too bad. Great show, lost managment

Comment by Mac mcintyre – March 10, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!!! My only complaint this season is not enough episodes!

Comment by Maggiemae – March 10, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Btw SO EXCITED for the return of Bones! It is my FAVORITE show! I hope they continue for many more seasons! I watch the re-runs everyday too lol. I’m sure my fellow Bones fans r just as excited as I am! :)

Comment by Ashley – March 10, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the show so much that as long as the baby is healthy, it doesn’t matter whst the babys name is.

Comment by Tonya Jackson – March 10, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just read through all the postings. Love the debate on baby Booth’s names. I agree with the people who question why those who no longer like or watch the show feel the need to comment. I love the show and will watch till the end. We do know that it is only a TV show, don’t we.

Comment by Louise – March 10, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that Brennan and Booth are having a baby. The baby should get a unique name with those two as her parents but if she has to be named after others I also think it will be Angela Christine.

Comment by jennifer – March 10, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you remember last season she was talking to angela and told her what the names were gonna be! The babies name will be Angela just don’t remember what she said the middle name will be! Think it might have been someone close to booth tho! I think his mother!

Comment by Kandy – March 10, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Mary.. Hence the stable birth and Booth is religious. Mary Christine Booth.

Comment by Veronica – March 11, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, I don’t really mind what they choose to call the baby. At least Booth didn’t marry Hannah!

Comment by Sian – March 11, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First, the show is just fine the way it is. Yes, the characters and storylines have changed, but it is expected when a series has been on as long as Bones has. We change, our lives change so why not t.v.If the show had stayed the same, I feel it would have been cancelled by now. Secondly, you can only go so far with the stories and writing for each of the characters and development of the show before it gets boring for the viewers. After seeing the same storylines over and over again, viewers will lose interest. Change is a part of life, even for fictional characters. Watch it or don’t because there is still enough fans out there watching it to still make it one of the highest rated series on television.I happen to like the direction the show is taking. Hart and Stephen get it. However,I do agree with what others are saying about the Hannah issue. They should have never brought her on the show. That is the only mistake, in my opinion, they have made. Sidenote-Bones must be doing something right to still be one of the most popular shows on t.v after 7 years and counting. Add to that the millions of viewers that still watch.

Comment by Angie D – March 11, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really dont’care about the name of their baby after all they told about the season’s finale. Does the disaster mean the end of B&B’s relationship? That will be able to change ‘the course the series for a while’. After the break up they won’t work together for a while, but then they will start everything from the day one. And we’ll see the old cold and lonely Brennan again. I loved the developement of the show and it’s main charakter but now I think about not watching the series bevor the disaster happens.

Comment by Valerie – March 12, 2012 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Joy is not her mothers name… Joy was bones name until she was 3 …soo u doubt she is naming her daughter joy…

Comment by Jess – March 12, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok someone help me out here. I was so excited for the new season of Bones. I saw maybe 4 new episodes then they started showing reruns then American Idol started. Where is everyone seeing the show? I am lost ???!!!

Comment by Amy – March 12, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when does bones !! start on sky living

Comment by rachel – March 13, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • April not sure of date yet.

Comment by Alison – March 13, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why nobody asked if we will see everybody’s reaction to Bones being pregnant as flashback in the four extra episodes? They are stand alone and I would love to see Angela and Max’s faces when Booth and Brennan told them

Comment by Nan – March 13, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Parker ever coming back? He has to met his half sister!

Comment by brizasaur – March 19, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does anyone know if Booth and Brennans baby is going to be Emily Deschanels own baby Henry?

Comment by Nikkie – March 20, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Instead of bringing Zack back, why not have brennan discover a long lost or unkbown twin to Zack, maybe even smarter with more character

Comment by Ricki lynne – March 22, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am 2worried about the finale. I think bones and booth belong together ive been waiting a long time for this to happen so others need to stop their whining if dont like stop watching it dont take other people down with u. Cant wait to see how it fans out with them i hope all goes well

Comment by Diane – March 26, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • may babe name

Comment by dattatray – April 1, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, the worst direction the show has gone in is with Cam’s hair. They need to keep it long.

Comment by beez – April 11, 2012 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post