Scoop: Downton Abbey Hottie Replaces Ryan Phillippe in CBS Drama Pilot Golden Boy

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Theo James Golden Boy CBSRyan Phillippe’s loss is Theo James‘ gain.

James, an English actor who played David in Underworld: Awakening as well as Lady Mary’s Turkish one-night stand gone bad on Downton Abbey, has replaced Phillippe as the star of Greg Berlanti’s CBS drama pilot Golden Boy

He’ll play the lead role of Walter William Clark, a young, ambitious police officer who rises quickly within the department — maybe too quickly — after breaking up a major drug ring and becoming a hero. Phillippe was originally cast in the role but dropped out after getting cold feet.

James joins an ensemble that also includes True Blood‘s Kevin Alejandro and Pushing Daisies Chi McBride.

NYPD Blue vet Nicholas Wootton penned the pilot and will serve as an EP alongside Berlanti.

Comments (29)

• Mr. Pamuk!!!!

Comment by Slizabeth – March 7, 2012 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Pamuk! YES!

Comment by kt – March 7, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never saw that much on James as Pamuk, but he’s waaay hotter in real life! I’ll give the show a chance – I was with Ryan Phillippe, and I’ll stick with Theo James on this one. :)

Comment by Juliana – March 7, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Kamal.

Comment by MockingbirdGirl – March 7, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Pamuk or Jed Harper…Good for him on the new role.

Comment by AmICrazy? – March 7, 2012 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cold feet? Such pejorative terminology. Was this an athletic challenge? I thought it was a professional choice.

Comment by SittingPat – March 7, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • too much of an acting challenge? maybe he was worried it was too close to his role in “Crash”?

Comment by sonr – March 7, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If RP had been worried about that, and personally I find that ludicrous, he wouldn’t have agreed to it in the first place. I’ve read he’s directing in a couple months. Couldn’t pass up that opportunity, I’m sure.

Comment by SittingPat – March 8, 2012 05:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Phillippe should have stayed with the show. His career is going nowhere.

Comment by Davey – March 7, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news! Ryan is pretty but Theo is a man and oozes sex appeal!

Comment by Apple – March 7, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Pamuk, i do remember a guest who was found dead in his bed the next morning

Comment by Lorena – March 7, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man does this mean no Bedlam any more?!

Comment by Jess – March 7, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing…I heard Will Young say they were doing another season of Bedlam but he wouldn’t be able to be on it; now presumably if this show takes off then Theo James won’t be available to do it either…who’s left? I wonder if it maybe was already filmed. Otherwise, I would presume it won’t happen unless his schedule is free again seeing how Jed was really the main character in the ensemble. Shame; I did enjoy the show and I was hoping they’d resolve that ending!

Comment by Tess – March 7, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I heard that Bedlam was coming back with a mostly new cast. I hope that if this is true, there is a satisfying onscreen resolution to Jed’s story. Preferably with Theo James in the role on screen and not him being mentioned in passing.

Comment by Alexia – March 7, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agreed!

Comment by SAM – March 8, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah I hope so too! It will be interesting to see how they resolve a bunch of the story threads they left untied in the first season.

Comment by Jess – March 8, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know about Golden Boy, but his casting on Downton was dead on….

Comment by Chase – March 7, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent! I can’t stand Ryan Phillippe – a mediocre actor with an annoying perma-pout. The show will be significantly better.

Comment by Tarc – March 7, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re kidding me right? He was fantastic in “The Way of the Gun” and “Stop-Loss”. He sincerely deserves a break out role.

Comment by Drew – March 7, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope, not kidding. I can’t stand the guy in anything.

Comment by Tarc – March 8, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whew, dodged that one. We almost upset Tarc. Aren’t the casting directors calling you ahead of time, Tarc?

Comment by SittingPat – March 8, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bedlam does return later in the year on Sky Living in the UK. Brand new cast and definitely some returning faces. And after the cliffhanger of season 1, all will be resolved and more in this new season.

Comment by Jax – March 8, 2012 01:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is Phillipe doing? This is the only thing that might have salvaged his failed career!

Comment by Jo – March 8, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr Pamuk!!! YAY! I’ll watch for sure…. RP is ok but I don’t think his dropping out will make a bit of difference.

Comment by TaraMisu – March 8, 2012 05:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder why Ryan is out. I may check this show out as I love Kevin Alejandro! He was great on Southland and so hot on True Blood!!

Comment by sarah – March 8, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay I have no idea who this guy is, but he is beautiful! In!

Comment by Sarah – March 8, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plenty of other ladies to get Pamuk’d.

Comment by Alicia – March 8, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! Pamuk is hot lol

Comment by mile – March 8, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Mr. James..Ryan…i guess you’re in retirement.

Comment by c – April 16, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post