Sons of Anarchy Boss on Season 5 Game Plan, and the Arrival of 'King' Jax and 'Queen' Tara

Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter and a handful of cast members hit the stage at PaleyFest 2012 on Wednesday to preview the show’s upcoming fifth season.

For starters, Sutter revealed that the premiere will begin “about a month” after the shocking events of fourth season finale, adding that the time lapse will give Tara time to process what her choice to stand by Jax means. “Tara’s clearly in [the club now],” he noted, “and [Season 5] really will be her trying to figure out, ‘Who am I in this world? Can I still be Dr. Tara Knowles and be this Queen?'”

Jax, too, will be dealing with personal conflict in the coming season. “I’ve always wanted to play this idea… of putting Jax at the head of the table, and the ripples of that and where people land,” the EP shared. “For me, the interesting dynamic to play next season is the struggle that Jax has of being King — how can you be the leader of an organized crime syndicate and not become Clay? And if you choose not to become Clay, are you forced to become [Jax's late father] John Teller?”

As for the overarching story in Season 5, Sutter’s basic outline includes playing the fallout of “Tig’s clusterf— with accidentally killing [Damon Pope]‘s daughter. So, that will be some of the adrenaline that gets the season started.”

Other topics covered during the panel:

• Sutter stood by his decision to not have Opie join Jax at the table in the finale. “I felt that it wasn’t true to [Opie's] character to have him come in the room and sit at that table,” he said. “He’s a soulful, deep-thinking kind of guy. For him to get all of that information from Jax, it didn’t make sense that he would be able to rectify that within a couple hours and sit at that table. This season we’ll get to see how [their] relationship has changed and [whether or not Opie] can come back from that.”

• “There’s always been an attraction” between Tig and Gemma, acknowledged Sutter, “[But] I don’t know where that’s going to go.”

• Sorry, Otto lovers. Sutter said it’s unlikely we’ll see much of his nearly-blind alter ego next season.

• Sutter, a former Shield exec producer, said that while he is still close with Michael Chiklis, he doesn’t really see a world in which he could appear on Sons. “I just feel like Michael’s character was so iconic on [The Shield], it would be really difficult to bring him on [Sons of Anarchy] and not have him overshadow as Vic Mackey… I love Michael, but that would be a tough one.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: PaleyFest, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Carmen says:

Ah, the panel was freakin’ AWESOME! Seeing them in the flesh, talking SoA, and being so silly was a great gift for a fan! Katey is even prettier in person. How is that even possible?!

• RaeAnnDOA says:

We @DaughtersAnarch are really looking forward to Season 5! We really loved interacting with Sons of Anarchy, during PaleyFest in Los Angeles, Ca. Please join our support group for support to the Cast & Crew! We also sell Official SOA apparel & accessories @ the link above! Thank You, @RaeAnnDOA always, ML&R!~

2. June says:

I am so excited about season 5. What a gifted writer you are Kurt. I just retired this Dec. 2011 after being in law enforcement for 36 years. Our dept is a one city/two states police dept. We have a chapter of Iron Pigs on both sides. Tx & Ar. We are all big fans. Keep it coming.

3. Tee says:

Can’t wait for the show to be back! Fall seems too far away.

4. Kasper says:

Whenever I think of Michael Chiklis, I can’t help but to think of him as Tony Scali from The Commish. God, that show was so awful, I can’t believe his career survived it.

5. Ben Kabak says:

O M G!!!

6. Lil says:

I’m just glad that Jax has learned how to groom himself. Cut the hair, trim the beard, much hotter.

7. cyn says:

My entire family is addicted to soa but my youngest son(22yrs.old)was obsessed with it!!! he passed away 6months ago,&Its destroyed me!!!idk how but somehow watchin sons every week helps us….in a strange way we feel closer 2him.we watch s4 over&over again so,yeah we cant wait for s5 to start!! Thank you so much,the writers,cast,crew..your all so special to us!!!

8. Candice says:

I have just recently discovered this show (about 2 wks ago) via Netflix. It’s been in my queue for months but I finally got around to checking it out and now I am totally obsessed. I have watched nearly through S3 in less than 2 weeks. It is SUCH a great show!!!! I watch a lot of TV but would happily trade any number of other shows I watch for this one. I absolutely love the characters (seriously, why do I care about a bunch of motorcycle thugs so much????), am in love with Jax (my new TV boyfriend), and I adore him and Tara together!!! I am not 100% familiar with everything that happens but I know the bones of it. Season 4 is not out yet so I don’t know what I will do when I’m finished with S3. I’ll have to be checked in to TV rehab I guess because I will go into withdrawls waiting on both it to come out and the new season to start. Thanks, TV Line, for the update on my new favorite show!!

• Prophecy says:

To Candice I just watched season 4 on fastpass.tv they have all the episodes there for that season just thought i’d help you with your fix lol enjoy….!!!

9. Laurel says:

Just seeing a picture of Jax makes me miss SOA even more !

10. Bad Breaker says:

Are there any plans for a Season 4 marathon before Season 5 starts up? I missed the whole season, unfortunately.

11. alr says:

I’m ashamed to admit this, as I am a big fan of the show, but I can’t remember who Damon Pope is or his daughter. What was the deal with that and Tig? If someone could jog my memory, I would appreciate it.

• Zee says:

damon pope is the father of the woman tig accidentally killed after trying to kill laroy (leader of the one niners). he tried to kill laroy because he thought he was behind the assassination attempt of clay because jax made it seem like the killers were black. the woman tig accidentally ran over is laroy’s girlfriend

• alr says:

Right! Now I remember! Thanks Zee! Season 4 was full of twists and turns and it was hard to keep up with everything. Thanks for the memory boost!

12. Pat says:

When will sons of anarchy start back. Best show on tv.

13. tammy phillips says:

HI I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT MONTH THAT THE SHOW WILL START BACK UP IM SO EXCITED TO START WATCHNG IT Y HUSBAND LOVES THE SHOWHE IS DRIVING ME CRAZY ABOUT WHEN ITS COMING BACK ON SO HELP ME PLEASE SO I CAN TELL HIM SOMETHING. THANKS TAM

14. bigmike says:

I hope the new season lets some other members have more screen time and script.
    Its too bad @ paleyfest they ignored some of the actors (happy for one)
    kurt loves the spotlight,surprising for a writer.
    Dillon Calie loves the spotlight,not surprising for an actor but was he a “star” on the show or am I missing something? I read somewwheres from a critic he thought paleyfest was about him,the video looks like that.
    I left after season 3.
    Some of you fans need a hobby or job.

15. dvdseriesonline says:

is ther anybody knwo when will this show come back !i can’t wait it

16. dawn says:

Hi I was just wondering when season 4 will be available on dvd? I recently watched soa on fx we had a preview month it cut off after the rape of gemma! By that time I was so into the show I had to go buy the first 3 seasons. I stayed up watching them 4 three days(drove my husband nuts). I watched the 4th online. I was looking 4 The 5th season when I found u havn’t even started filming yet. Really I gotta wait till september!!! Soa is the best series yet can’t wait to see the next 3 seasons. I gotta say Jax is the ultimate bad boy, he just gets HOTTER with every season!!! Sutter keep up the good work, it’s been so awesome so far! See u in september.

17. bostongirl_89 says:

does anyone know when its coming to tv my mom, dad, and i are trying to find out and we’re going crazy :(

18. Casey says:

When is this going to be back on t.v in New Zealand?
    Love it!

19. michelle crute says:

Why is Clay being referred to as a murderous husband they are all murders including Gemma. i hope Soa don’t make a hell of a mistake like killing off clay. Clay have more story lines to play and dealing with his wife rape should be one. Gemma need to deal with her rape also it destroyed her relationship with Clay. Clay Morrow was a broken man sitting at that table waiting and knowing those three little words was coming and his life would be over. THEY RAPED ME!

20. mike says:

I fast forward through the soap opera tara and jax stuff, I call that kind of stuff “filler material” its a cheap way for the show to fill minutes up, which I know they have to do, to balance out the expensive big action episodes. Yawn.