American Idol Top 13 Cover Whitney Houston and Stevie Wonder: Who Was Your Favorite?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. The road to the American Idol crown, however, is littered with the wreckage of Whitney Houston and Stevie Wonder songs done very, very wrong.

It’s a testament to the Season 11 Top 13, then, that on a night where the ladies were asked to cover Whitney, and the gentlemen tackled Stevie, we barely heard the sound of tires squealing and metal combusting against metal. Oh, sure, there were a couple of minor fender-benders (from contestants whose names rhyme with Man-In Da-Pain and Yer-Pain Moans), but for the most part, the current crop of Idol contenders ranged from solid to downright spectacular.

I’ll be back in the morning to post a full episode recap, but until then, here’s my pithy thoughts on the evening’s performances:

Joshua Ledet, “I Wish”: Sung what he brung. And he didn’t bring a boring-ass ballad, either! What’s his 866-number again, por favor?
Elise Testone, “I’m Your Baby Tonight”: So they basically asked a tennis pro to play basketball, then criticized her for not being able to slam dunk? I rather liked her drowsy-blues twist on this pop piffle!
Jermaine Jones, “Knocks Me Off My Feet”: Exciting as getting another credit-card offer in your mailbox.
Erika Van Pelt, “I Believe In You And Me”: Hit all her notes, but might’ve sounded (and dressed) better in her rehearsal clip?
Colton Dixon, “Lately”: Does exactly what he sets out to do (but I liked Stefano Langone’s Idol version better).
Shannon Magrane, “I Have Nothing”: I’d rate that No. 6 on the list of seven Idol covers of “I Have Nothing” over the last 11 seasons. And let’s be honest: Leah LaBelle isn’t exactly the gold standard by which Idol performances are rated.
Deandre Brackensick, “Master Blaster”: The funky chicken in an assembly line of processed poultry. J’adore!
Skylar Laine, “Where Do Broken Hearts Go”: I love her so much, I might rent Country Strong this weekend. Or at least dig out my copy of Reba’s Greatest Hits.
Heejun Han, “All in Love Is Fair”: He’s no Pia Toscano, but he was plenty good enough to survive into next week.
Hollie Cavanagh, “All The Man That I Need”: With great power comes a great need for proper mentoring.
Jeremy Rosado, “Ribbon in the Sky”: A very nice performance, but nice is often the deadly adjective that lulls one’s fan base into a false sense of security.
Jessica Sanchez, “I Will Always Love You”: How can J.Hud have been reincarnated into this child’s body when J.Hud is still alive and in her prime? Yowza!
Phillip Phillips, “Superstition”: A little less screameration, a little more subtlety please. Still your originality brings satisfaction to me.

Who was your baby tonight? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. chochang02 says:

HOLLIE!!!!! Like you said, she’s all kinds of adorable and I’ve been tweeting her all week to sing All The Man I Need. GLAD SHE DID :)

• SallyinChicago says:

I liked Jessica did not LOVE her. She had the flood lights & wind machine going for her. Loved the different entertainment by Deandre. Did NOT like PP and Colton, I think they’re overrated.

• SallyinChicago says:

Oh I forgot that Skylar girl — what a performer. One thing about Jess, I notice she’s taking all the Jennifer Hudson songs….I guess she feels singing all JHud songs will get her to the top.

• AdamWasRobbed says:

Agreed on most of this… Jessica was VERY good with a VERY tough song, but not 100% spot on (Didn’t expect her to be, so no problem).

Really liked Hollie… Great voice and great singer.

One comment I really want to make is that after Phil Phillips performance, I could actually hear Simon from where ever he may be sternly saying, “I thought I was over-indulgent rubbish if I’m being quite honest…”. Kid is original for sure, but he was a caricature of himself last night… JMO..

• SallyinChicago says:

PPhilip is David Cook 2.0. Do we really want another David Cook and Kris Allen clone to win?

• Mary says:

P2 doesn’t even come close to either of those two. For one thing both
            Kris and David can sing not scream. Both of those guys can sing without the guitar, take P2 away and he will crumble. He is so over
            rated. I did not enjoy his performance at all plus he already did it for his audition. I hope he gets voted off soon.

• Templar says:

Go to youtube and listen to David Cook’s Idol performance of Music Of The Night from Phantom of the Opera. Then come back here and make a comparison to PP.

• darcy's evil twin says:

David Cook is a vocalist and chose “Music of the Night” to demonstrate his versatility. Good point!

• NHinBaltimore says:

Totally agree with all of your comments. Jessica was very good, but I didn’t get the “emotion” from her as I did from Hollie – love her. And I was thinking the exact same thing after PP’s performance – I could hear Simon saying he was being “over-indulgent” and I would actually agree with him. Enjoyed PP’s performance last week, but thought he went over the edge this week…

2. Jessica Sanchez. C’mon! Unbelievable, this is Top 13 week, if she is this good now, I can’t imagine how she’ll be a few weeks down the line. Hands down best of the night. Shannon is in major trouble, and Jermaine and Jeremy are in some trouble on the guys side. Decent night tonight. Hollie and Skylar also were great. Very strong tonight.

• SallyinChicago says:

She’s good because she looks and feels comfortable on the stage, and she just has great control. But she needs to stop singing all Jhud songs.

• Mary says:

I thought this was a Whitney song not a Jennifer Hudson song. Yes Jennifer did it in a tribute but that doesn’t make it her song. I actually liked Jessica a little better. Top three were all girls, Hell the top five were all girls for me. Joshua was the only guy I actually enjoyed.

• ChrissieK says:

Thanks for clearing that one up…my mind got twisted as I read and I’m thinking why are they saying JHud songs when the ladies were doing Whitney? And that is how rumors get started!!
          Last night was a good show but I am so, so sorry in that I just don’t like Skylar…talk about singing thru your nose (as JLo pointed out, thank you) and we had the Country Dominance last year!

• SallyinChicago says:

Who in thunder-nation is dressing these girls? they look horrid! Jessica in the long gown? Why? Skylar is the only one who seems to dress like she’s having fun and going out to party. Like her style, but the others – no way!
      Last year the girls were allowed to go shopping and buy their own clothes, this year it seems like they have someone coming and presenting their clothes. Stop it!

3. Zach says:

Ms. Cavanagh & Ms. Sanchez. The rest were forgettable and bland. And Phillip? Taylor Hicks #2.

• jaxguy says:

I had 3 that I liked. Colton, Heejun and what will probably be mentioned in the discussions of the great performances of all time JESSICA SANCHEZ. Incredible!
      Everyone else was just ok for me. Hollie gets honorable mention though.
      Phillip? EVERYTHING sounds exactly the same.

• Tarc says:

And I’d say that Jessica and Phillip were about equal, and the pair miles better than the rest.

• Idolhead Ed says:

Tarc, if you think Jessica and Phillip were about the same you need to go back to The Voice. And those of you who are forgetting Erika, she nailed it tonight.

• Billy says:

Tarc, are you serious? Jessica can SING and Phillip can…well he can shout and growl very convincingly. He needs to sing a melody instead of do a Dave Matthews impersonation every time he hits the stage. He seems like a really cool guy though, so I understand his popularity.

• Nae says:

They should have let Philip play the song as an acoustic version, or at least dialed back. (it sounded great in the pretaped bit), live the band just drowned him and he started shouting to keep up. It also lost a lot of the cool groove, just sounded messy altogether.

I agree to Billy about the Dave Matthews thing though, he needs to dial it back.
            It’s cool to have a similar style, but totally replicating some signature things is pushing it too far (like those two short bended notes he threw in, those were 100% exact Dave Matthews signature move copies)

• ChrissieK says:

Phil Phillips…a one-note, one-trick pony methinks. Too much screaming last night, way over the top PP–watch it next time!

• Owen says:

Yeah but…you do remember Taylor Hicks won…

• Annie says:

Jessica was incredible, but the over pimping by the judges could hurt her. She deserves the credit, but they are going over board.

• JJ says:

I’m already going the other direction about Jessica. There’s a whole robot with a voice vibe that I find off putting. And I can’t stand PP. It’s about to get interesting.

• TB says:

I’m SOOOOO happy I’m not the only one having this thought. The entire time I was watching her, all I was thinking was that I don’t know if i’ve ever disliked an idol this much. The pimping is ridiculous, and you know they’re doing it because a girl has to win this year before idol becomes completely irrelevant, and that if they’re going to have a girl win, it might as well be a woman of color to get those naysayers off their backs too. She’s extremely talented, and vocally she does deserve to go as far as the producers clearly want her to, but really, she’s going to get a record deal no matter when she goes home, so what’s the point of her being on the show in the first place? I think for right now I’m definitely Team Joshua (I know everyone thinks he’s got the Stank on him, but honestly, he just moves me like no other contestant comes close to doing) but I love Skylar at least as much as Joshua, and I think I should hop on the Hollie train now before it blasts off. Soft spot for DeAndre too.

• jaxguy says:

you guys are why IDOL is getting to be a crapfest. I can find fault with every singer on every show. When a person can sing, as Jessica proved lats night, THAT’S what this show should be about. She is getting “pimped,” because last night she was by far the best. If this keeps up we are on our way to another Lee DeWyze, Taylor Hicks, Kris Allen and Scotty McCreery. Way, Way better people came in 2nd, 3rd, even fourth those years.

• TB says:

@jaxguy fair enough, but I think I should clarify, there are issues with Jessica as a performer that make her troubling to me as a viewer. Firstly, and most importantly, she sounds like she listened to a recording and then mimicked it for the cameras. The mimicry is astonishingly good, and I don’t think anyone is arguing that she has a bad voice, or even that she is a bad performer. She’s just not much of an original. Vocally, she is by far the best contestant. No doubt. But will she make the best record ala Daughtry? Probably not. I’m thinking Skylar’s album would be a knockout, and Joshua’s might be a winner too. Will she make for the best TV ala Haley Reinhart? Definitely not. No doubt there. The producers would rather kill her than let her change anything, so she probably won’t show much growth over the season, and she’s too pimped to need to put up much of a fight. Hollie would be my bet for best TV narrative. Will she perform songs in a unique and emotional manner ala Crystal Bowersox? So far, she’s not showing much hope in that department either, that looks like it’ll be Phillip, Colton, and maybe DeAndre’s job this season. Will she perform songs at an extremely high level of technical skill but not much originality ala Pia Toscano? I think that seems the most likely right now. So what’s the point in a year of rooting for her in a competition that is filled with around 8 other contestants that could fulfill at least 1 of those criteria? I won’t be happy to see her go, but I wouldn’t be surprised, nor would I be heartbroken.

• lemon says:

Pia was never remotely as gifted as Jessica. It’s not even close.

• TB says:

@lemon I agree. Jessica has more control over her voice and her tone is more interesting, no arguments from me on that one. I just think they filled similar roles as contestants, i.e. the technically superior ones who struggle with originality.

• Eurydice says:

I don’t think she’s a robot, but she does seem to be approaching the competition like it’s a mathematical equation. At some point she’ll have to inject some emotion into her performances, and not just the emotion of “I want to win.”

• jahno says:

can you change a person’s voice. all of them are robots. if you hear phil phillips a thousand times it sounds robotic. you’re a half-baked person. persons like you will not make your country progressive.

• kyrjar says:

I haven’t been watching (first time since Season 2 that I haven’t) but tuned in last night. I don’t know how she was before but Jessica was less robotic than Carrie, just as beautiful (in a different way) and younger than Carrie. I can’t believe she is 16 and can do Whitney note for note (better than JHud). I wanted Carrie to win that year because it was readily apparent she was a phenomenal female vocalist like few others on AI (Kelly, Katherine, and a few others do come to mind). Jessica could be huge if given the right material. Carrie grew performance wise after AI.

I’ll tune in to see Jessica, Hollie, Phillip2, and a few others do other songs. Not a fan of forcing Whitney on these girls but hey most did well.

• Daw Johnson says:

If you compare the comments for Jessica to those given to the other contestants, they absolutely did not go overboard.

If Jessica was a 9.5, no one else was even a 4. She was THAT much better than the rest of the contestants, and if they want to get that across without being “mean” to the others, they HAVE to “overpraise” her.

• Jen says:

I totally agree. Does anyone remember Pia?

• Tarc says:

Which means that he’s awesome enough to win? Yup, I agree that he is.

• ET says:

Actually, Cavanagh was forgettable. Colton was GREAT. Jessica is very, very good, no doubt, but she was given the plum song and the girls’ pimp spot. She did a very nice karaoke rendition of Whitney; I will not really like her until she starts putting her own twist on songs instead of simply regurgitating the original.

• SallyinChicago says:

No love for Skylar? A cross between Reba and Dollie — got fire power in her. I think she’s turning out to be the MOST commercial and saleable. I also think Deandre has room for growth and could be commercial….but Idol has never to my mind had TWO black males in the top 10 so one has to go.

• ET says:

Actually I do like Skylar. She is probably the most UNDER-rated contestant in the top 13. She is comfortable on stage, very real, and loves to do her own thing with the songs she’s given. She’s the real deal!! Don’t care for Deandre, though.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I think both Deandre and Joshua have a good chance of cracking the top 10. Hell, I wouldn’t be upset if both were in the top 5.

• SallyinChicago says:

Skylar and Deandre. He’s still got growth in him, but I loved that he stepped into a different zone.

4. Elena says:

I really liked the night overall and am very surprised by the small number of train wreck performances. The girls were the best by far by the guys were solid as well. I think it’s obvious that Jermaine is the bottom for guys and girls it probably Shannon but could be Erika (though that would be sad if it’s her over Shannon). I’m pretty impressed with this crop of contestants overall.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree – the performances were better than I expected on the Whitney songs. I would say the bottom should be Jermaine, Jeremy, and Shannon. I have always loved “Ribbon in the Sky” and wished someone would sing it, but I wasn’t wild about Jeremy’s rendition.

• TheBeach says:

Yep, those would be my bottom 3 as well. Good Call.

• Craig says:

I could listen to a whole cd of Jermaine jones singing that beautiful song he sang in his beautiful way while I take some advil and dream of Shannon Migraine.

-Steven Tyler

PS-Anyone seen my floppy purple hat and I loved Randy’s pin of Whitney Houston. Did I mention it was beautiful?

• darcy's evil twin says:

I mixed up a big pitcher of daquiris last night and ran out of daquiri long before Steven Tyler ran out of “beautifuls”.

• AJ says:

Yes tonight restored my faith in this being able to be a great season. Jermaine and Shannon were the only bad ones, and everyone else was solid with a handful of knockouts (Jessica, Hollie, Skylar, DeAndre, Phillip).

• Craig says:

It was doomed as soon as the theme was announced. Did anyone get excited about hearing more Whitney or Stevie songs? So tired. Everyone remember the producers could have picked anyone ANYONE that they wanted to bring back for their crazy twist and they chose Jermaine Jones! WTF were they thinking? I hope it works the same way it worked for Melanie Amaro on the X-Factor and he wins the whole shebang (no not the William Hung cover). Seems like a great guy but he is awful to listen to. I though the DVR was on slow motion while he was singing. If Hollie Cavanagh could get a great song she can and will slay. Watch the pimp spot for her in the coming weeks before she gets the boot for less talented male singers. Skylar Lane might also be one to watch. Wish I liked country twang. Also so disappointing to hear that Scotty is singing the song played during the Thursday montage of the contestant that is going home. I have been trying to avoid him like the Duggar’s avoid birth control. Slezak we need a mult part Idology this week. Please.

• Leila says:

I predict Jermaine and Elise on bottom 2. Hopefully Elise will continue.

5. Davey says:

I wish I liked Skyler more. She sings well but she just doesn’t appeal to me.
    Heejun was simply awful. He has a sweet personality but please.

• Ana Muti says:

Totally disagree about Heejun. He has a lovely tone, great vibrato, and showed more emotion in his singing than some of the other contestants.

I find his vocals pretty awesome.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Agreed. I was pleasantly surprised by Heejun. There was a nice arc to his song, and he put a lot of emotion into it.

I’m still not sure he can go the distance, though. He hasn’t shown himself to be very versatile, and eventually the soft-soften ballad act is going to get old. But right now, it’s novel enough that I can enjoy it. Plus: funny.

• JJ says:

There’s something disgusting about a girl who hunts and kills things every chance she gets and her hobby is collecting knives. No thanks.

• Craig says:

You finally heard about Sarah Palin?

• darcy's evil twin says:

ZING! What in the world is wrong with hunting and collecting knives? Chelsea Sorrell (who left rather quickly) was a darned good shot. Her target shooting was better than her singing.

• Billy says:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. I have no problem with her knife-collecting hobby. The fact that she “hunts and kills things every chance she gets” is just indicative of mental illness. So, feel sorry for her (and her victims) but please don’t hate.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Feel sorry for her “victims”? They’re ANIMALS. As long as she’s not poaching or shooting something protected by the ESA there’s nothing wrong with hunting. Does everyone on this board live in a Manhattan high-rise or a Santa Monica condo?
          I guess one could argue the mental stability of the residents of this household but it’s not because of hunting.

• dini says:

There’s just something really off-putting about the enjoyment of violently killing living things. there’s something wrong with the souls of those people IMO.

• darcy's evil twin says:

There’s something extremely annoying about people that refer to hunting as “enjoyment of violently killing living things”; however, this is not a discussion that belongs on these boards. Go over to the PeTA website to whine about hunting. This is American Idol.
            I was pleased to see Idol not “sanitize” the lives of some of the contestants for fear of offending viewers. Chelsea was shown doing some target practice (hope she had earplugs in her ears). Skylar hunts and collects knives. Chelsea, Baylie, and Skylar all enjoy a small town life that’s far removed from the big city. Shannon is obviously a Christian. For some viewers this is their life and it was nice to see.

• marie says:

Not in a Manhattan high-rise, but pretty close: I live across the river in an apartment house in Brooklyn. I mention it because my perspective is decidedly urban, and I mention THAT because I think the outlook someone develops depending on their enviroment can really impact their views on certain subjects. I personally find the whole idea of hunting totally repellent – I could never in a million years do it myself even if a gun were pointed at my OWN head – BUT – I am a city girl, born and bred: I realize that if I’d grown up elsewhere in a different environment, I might well feel differently. There’s room for all kinds in the world without tending towards being judgmental.

• darcy's evil twin says:

marie – I’m not being judgemental – but you are correct about environment affecting your beliefs. Come visit me and after about three deer take out your car you’ll be shopping for a 30-06 with a scope and calling yourself Annie Oakley, LOL. Deer hunting with a gun is much cheaper than doing it with a $30,000 vehicle, trust me.

• freedom says:

Hunters are people who gain pleasure and enjoyment from taking something’s life. Something that wants to live.

Knowing this about Skyler now, makes me less interested in her. Ick.

• Eurydice says:

You don’t want people to judge you for your upbringing, but you want to judge Skylar for hers – I guess there isn’t quite as much room for everyone in your world as you think. And, if you’re eating animal flesh and wearing their hides, somebody else is doing the killing for you. So maybe it’s best to just stick to talking about the contestants’ performances.

• Joy says:

Eurydice, well said! The idea of hunting rubs me totally the wrong way, but if I’m honest with myself, I know that the animals I eat probably live and die under much less humane conditions than most hunters’ game. Even if I have the luxury of not having to think about it right when I’m biting into a nice juicy burger, the fact is that I wind up getting a lot of enjoyment from animals’ untimely deaths too — so I’ve got no reasonable grounds for hating on somebody who’s simply a little more in touch with her place in the food chain… So yes, let’s set that aside and talk about Skylar’s performance — which was AWESOME. :-)

• Leila says:

It’s not a mental illness, it’s called being brought up by generations of hunters that did the same thing and thought it was part of life/fun. It’s cultural.

6. Vicki says:

My faves were Joshua, Colton, Holly, Jessica (WOW!) and Phillip for his originality. I admit, I really miss the creativity, talent, originality of some of the recent past Idols. Only one seems to really want to rearrange and create he own song but still it’s not as good as those in the past.

7. MSD says:

Pleased with the night…. especially because the 3 who I believe are least deserving of a spot in the Top 10 (Jermaine, Jeremy, Shannon)- proved that tonight. Now I’m off to vote for Erika….

8. josie says:

HOLLIE!!!!! and of course jessica was spectacular as well but I just love hollie

• MamaLis says:

See, I don’t get the whole Holly thing AT ALL. She is like pure vanilla to me. Vanilla ice cream on a neutral colored cake-cone. Totally forgettable. There are lots of great music or theater teachers in the country with great voices. Doesn’t mean they should be “stars.” And why is no one talking about her speech issue? What is that and why doesn’t that count?

9. rod says:

hollie and jessica were AMAZING !!!!!

10. Vetle says:

No poll?

I love me some Jessica, Hollie and Deandre.

11. woahzer says:

Hollie, Jessica and Skylar all ripped it! Amazing amazing amazing! Daresay we have a possible final three? Also loved Erika though not as much and I love Elise though I do not think this her best night at all (she was better than they made it out to be though). On the guys side I think Joshua and Phillip are good but that’s it for me! Colton is alright too! Such great talent this year.

• Joy says:

Elise wasn’t all I’d hoped for, but she’s in excellent company — Haley Reinhart butchered that song last year too. :-)

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m thinking several contestants have butchered that song. I’ll have to rely on the readers here that have minds like steel traps. I think that song needs to be put in the “Against All Odds” Hall of Shame. It just doesn’t work on the program.

• Craig says:

There is absolutely no way that the final three will be all girls. If there is even one girl in the final three I will be happy. Not because they are less talented than the boys but because of the voting system. Votes from men and adults should count as 5 votes so we can compete with the young female voters. Also, get the tomato’s ready to throw at me, but I didn’t think Shannon was as bad as the judges said and no Im not a fan of hers. Far more talented females didn’t make the cut and she has no edge to her. No danger. She holds back and doesn’t perform the way say Skylar does where she leaves it all on the stage. Shannon wants to make sure she doesn’t mess up her hair.

12. Lo says:

As soon as J. Lo started off her critique to Shannon with “Sweet baby” I immediately cringed. But really, Shannon was just not her best tonight. She should have gone with something fun and uptempo, not a song that’s been done a billion times on Idol.

13. K. says:

I thought Elise was great and I’m still seething over the fact the judges tore her apart but didn’t even blink at the hot mess that was Phillip Phillips performance. UGHHHHH!

• Owen says:

Oh please. Elise was one of my faves last week, but she really, really wasn’t good tonight. Phillip was far more special.

• Paramour says:

I agree…Phillp Phillips is a one trick pony. too much screetching

• forrest says:

I must admit, I challenged the judges to critique – to be constructive, to call a bad performance – bad. This episode they did. I didn’t even recognize these people who sat in those same chairs last season. Randy has gotten away from the catchphrase; Jennifer & Steven calling a bad performance ‘not your best’. Wow. I really didn’t think they could do it. They proved me wrong. It’s early, early in the season, so I have hope that this turnaround continues.

• Sallyinchicago says:

Jeremy hurt my ears.

14. Jessica says:

I think this is the first year (and I’ve been watching since the beginning) that I’m really impressed with the contestants. Usually there are probably at least half of the contestants that I could see going very easily. This time there’s only a couple that I wouldn’t miss at all. I also have to say that I think the judges actually did a pretty decent job in their critiques tonight. I give them props …they’ve figured something out this season. Took ‘em long enough!

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree, Jessica. I thought they handed Jermaine a little too much praise and I’m not sure what they said to Jeremy because my husband started yakking at me right after Jeremy sang, but overall I thought the judges handed down some good comments last night. And yes, the contestants are better overall.

15. Joe says:

Is online voting not working for anyone else?

16. blingedup.susan says:

I enjoyed Elise’s performance. Didn’t get the judge’s criticism…

Skylar was great. Heejun was good!

I will be disappointed if anyone besides Shannon goes home.

• Julia says:

I enjoyed Elise as well. I had a flashback to my Haley rage when the judges raked her over the coals. I kept thinking, “how did we hear such different things?”
      Shannon better not stay longer than Elise. Just say “no” to pageant princess.

17. Evan says:

My thoughts tonight did not change. The best in AI11: Joshua and Skylar.

Can I just say that Stevie Wonder songs are, in the words of Rhonetta, “so funky and played out”? They’re also just plain boring. I wish the producers would make it STOP.

• Evan says:

And I have to say that I love Jessica Sanchez and she did just fine tonight, but I think should could have brought a little something extra to I Will Always Love You, but failed to do so. Of course I still like it– it’s IWALY– but I expected even better from her.

• yeahbuddy says:

That’s the thing with IWALY. You can never measure up to the original, no matter what you do with it. I think the only thing you can do right with the song is sing it as close to the original as (if) possible. I think Jessica did amazing with it, and I’d rather have her sing the song than say, Shannon.

• Kevin C. says:

By “the original”, do you mean Whitney’s cover, or the actual original? Because Whitney herself didn’t sing it anywhere close to the original.

• yeahbuddy says:

My bad. I mean Whitney’s version. And even if she did perform it the country way (original) or in any other way just like Syesha, it will never be enough. J Hud performed the exact same version at the Grammys and heck no one complained about her not changing anything on it. I think as long as you give justice to a “Whitney” song (which not a lot of people can) clearly that should suffice.

• Kevin C. says:

Jennifer’s version at the Grammys had the same melody and words, but she kept it slow and melancholy. I wouldn’t call it the same at all.

Jessica’s performance was very good, but I think to be “one of the best of the season” quality you have to do more than just “give justice to a Whitney song”. You don’t have to chance it up and do it completely differently to “make it your own” (to trot out a phrase the judges pull out way too often), but at the same time something of the singer should shine through.

To put it differently: If Jessica’s performance were truly memorable, I should be able to think back to it and remember it. It’s only been a couple hours, but when I think back all I can hear is Whitney’s version.

• Brett says:

Jessica Sanchez is a Jennifer Hudson wannabe. First a JHud song last week, then this week she does the same song JHud sang at the Grammys… Hopefully their stories end the same, and Jessica is gone early, only to find success when she is older and has matured a bit.

• Craig says:

@ Kevin-You should mention who sang the original in your post. A lot of people have no idea it was a Dolly Parton song. Dolly is going to make a lot of money off of the death of WH.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And the money just keeps rolling in for Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You”. Dolly is funny – in an interview a few years ago she said, “Emmylou (Harris) recorded ‘For Daddy’ and I put a little money in the bank, then Whitney Houston recorded ‘I Will Always Love You’ and I bought the bank”.

• jmac says:

I think Jessica is a terrific singer but that song was almost EXACTLY like the original. I was quite surprised that noone picked up on it until Evan. Just sayin.

• TB says:

100% agreed. Joshua and Skylar are my Top 2. Of course, he’ll never make it because he’s a young African American man and the last time an African American man was in the finale was season 2 and I think we can all agree American Idol is a completely different show nowadays in terms of viewership and voting patterns, but Skylar probably could get to Top 2 if she keeps knocking it out like she has the last couple weeks.

18. Christina says:

Are the rest of the contestants going to be able to keep up with Jessica all season? She is hands down the standout in this competition.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that Shannon is the girl in trouble. If its Elise that will be so wrong. On the guys side they can lose either Jermaine or Jeremy.

19. jojo says:

I honestly think that there could and should be a 5 girls at the end (minus shannon)

20. David says:

I know I’m going to be in a very tiny minority here, but I hated Jessica’s performance. She has a great voice, but it felt totally paint by numbers to me. “Soft here, check!, good long vibrato here, check!, big crushing note here, check!”. Didn’t buy a second of it. Felt more in five seconds of Heejun’s performance than all of Jessica’s. I know she’ll stay around for a long while, and I hope she starts connecting for me or it’s gonna be a long season.

But Hollie is my fave, hands down.

• Matt says:

I am right there with you. When I hear Whitney or even Dolly sing it, you just get that feeling all over and especially on the key change it’s like a punch in the gut (in a good way). I felt absolutely nothing in this performance. It was in tune. She hit the notes. Tone was good. Feeling and emotion was completely absent.

• Templar says:

As I’ve posted on other sites, there’s a Thia Meghia robotic quality to Jessica. I’m betting she won’t make top 5. I got nothing from her performance. Hollie was much better IMO.

• Joy says:

Honestly, I never thought Whitney’s recording conveyed that much feeling, either. When Dolly sang it, the heartbreak came through in every word, but I remember back when Whitney’s was on the radio all the time, people kept being surprised when I pointed out that it’s a “goodbye” song. It was a lovely recording, but it felt to me like its loveliness was more just the beauty of Whitney’s voice than any meaning that came through with it.

• Owen says:

Look, J-San did basically a copycat performance. Which generally would be something I’d hate. She used all of Whitney’s inflections, but sang it with a J-Hud polish. Again, something I wouldn’t usually like. But the thing is, she nailed it. I didn’t miss either original singer. I was on the edge of my seat bathing in this girl’s talent. Outrageous. She can sing. She can SANG!! She does need to learn to be a little more individualistic, she has to become an artist, which, of course, means to interpret a song in her own way, not just sing big. And we all know, because of these different theme nights, she will soon be forced to learn how (I have a feelings she’s been singing this song, this way, since she was five). But for the first night, for now, what she did was just fine. Just fine indeed!

• Marsaili says:

I agree—and the weird thing is, she did bring me to tears—but when I recovered the first thing out of my mouth was—I don’t know if I was brought to tears because she was technically perfect, or because Whitney’s version brings me to tears and I’m never going to hear her sing it again. Jessica was technically perfect—-the ONLY thing missing was the feeling behind the song. I actually think Dolly’s version moves me more than Whitney’s.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh David, will you marry me? Wait – I’m already married. I got a little carried away there, LOL.
      Anyway, I agree about Jessica’s performance. I’m in that tiny minority as well. She is very, very good – she just doesn’t do much for me. I liked Hollie better and overall I prefer Hollie’s voice.

• skyfiremage says:

Dave – I think more people agree with you than you think.

I thought Jessica was trying to be like a wind-up Whitney doll – but minus the sweet notes and emotiveness than Whitney is known for.

Overall – I’d put Jessica’s performance in the bottom half for the night.

• Pally says:

Agreed. J Sanchez can clearly sing, but she’s a bit of a snoozer, and I didn’t believe it all. I’m more in favor of Hollie, Erika, Phillip, and (when he does what he did tonight and not the garbage he did last week) DEANDRE, which is a shocker because I did not expect to like him at all.

• Pally says:

Oh, and I also love me some Skylar. And Heejun. For crying out loud, that was pretty much half of the finalists right there.

21. Elena says:

Faves: Jessica, Hollie, Skylar, Erika, Deandre, Joshua

Just okay: Elise, Jermaine, Colton, Jeremy, Phillip

Are you kidding me: Heejun, Shannon

My bottom two: Heejun, Shannon

Likely bottom two: Jeremy, Elise (which saddens me because I think Idol threw her under the bus tonight)

22. TheBeach says:

May I say I was terribly afraid for Skylar on a Whitney Houston night? May I now say I had no reason for worry?

• Joy says:

You may! She was my favorite of the night. The way things went down last season had me fully sympathizing with the country haters, but Skylar has reminded me that I actually do love country music when it’s done right. :-) I also thought this performance was head and shoulders above Pia’s attempt at the same song last year.

23. Lindsay says:

Started dull, but turned into a very enjoyable night all around.

Joshua – It was good, sure, but I just can’t get into him. Kind of zone out while passingly thinking, “Oh, what nice background music.”
    Elise – I’ve seen her do so much better, but I didn’t hate it.
    Jermaine – Yikes. Notes were all over the place. Hardly any control. With some training, he could be a seriously great Broadway performer, though (and unlike Idol, that’s a compliment from me, not an insult)
    Erika – The dress: thumbs down. The performance: thumbs and toes in the air!
    Colton – ’twasn’t perfection, but couldn’t help but lurrrve eet.
    Shannon – I could feel her insecurity oozing out of my television and it was distracting from otherwise great vocals except a couple spots including a miss on the big note.
    Deandre – Beginning to really live up to his amazing potential. Love this kid to pieces.
    Skylar – I can still see her selling millions and packing arenas, but she lost me at the end with some shouting.
    HeeJun – At the risk of sounding like J.lo or Steven, there’s something about him and his voice that just pulls me in, makes me listen, and leaves me all starry eyed. Can’t wait to buy his album.
    Jeremy – Nope. Still not getting the love. He’s a gem of a person who will be a blessing in many people’s lives, but music star he is not.
    Jessica – Mind. Blown. Holy honey buns.
    Phillip – I think it was quite good? But I had trouble hearing him over the blaring instruments. What was that all about?

Predicted bottom 2: Shannon and Jeremy. Hopefully Jeremy will get the boot, but judges will probably pick Shannon.

• Ali says:

What about Hollie? Dare say that pint-sized powerhouse was one of the highlights for me anyway!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Yeah, what was with the blasting band during Phillip’s performance? He has a unique, gravely voice that has to be clearly heard for it to have its full effect, so a loud band is not his friend.

• Lindsay says:

I thought I heard Iovine say something about a cappella (not sure, on my third-ish glass of wine at that point), so I was expecting that, and then the Music Man’s entourage appeared. Too bad.

24. Paisley says:

Hollie, Jessica, Skylar, Joshua ,Phillip are my top five of the night. Although Shannon was worse, I am afraid for Elise.

• Marsaili says:

I am also afraid for Elise—although J-Lo did say “Sweet Baby” to Shannon (Insert Friday the 13th Stabbing music here) so I think Shannon is going to be the one to go.

25. Ashly says:

I really enjoyed Hollie, Skylar and Phillip’s performances. I think Elise is awesome, but it seemed like she was straining a bit tonight.

Jessica and Erika are two singers who I want to like, but their sound paired with their song choices aren’t appealing to me. Erika did a nice job tonight. However, I just don’t care for that deep, Cher-like quality to her voice. Also, I feel like she doesn’t sing the genre of music I enjoy (for instance, I’m not a big fan of Lady GaGa). Although, I’m keeping an open mind in the coming weeks. As far as Jessica goes, her vibrato is starting to be bit too much for me. I’m probably the only person who only thought her performance was just ok. To sum up, Jessica and Erika are very talented. However, for my personal taste and preference, I don’t think I’m a fan.

I tend to enjoy singers who feel the words that they are singing to the very tips of their toes. That is why I was a bit saddened by Elise’s performance tonight. I don’t really think she got into her song.

Also, did any one notice how the judges gave lots of praise to their wild card picks?

• Holly says:

I agree with you about Jessica! Way too much vibrato, and as the judges were heaping on the praises I was thinking “she’s wasn’t THAT good.” I disagree with you on Erika, but I suppose that’s a matter of taste. To me she has a very interesting mature voice, and I felt she really connected on her song. Her voice is not well-suited to Whitney Houston songs, but she made me like her performance anyway.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree with everything you’ve written,Holly. I”m not a fan of Jessica’s vibrato and I love the mature tone to Erika’s voice.
        A couple of seasons ago everyone was complaining about Casey James’ vibrato. for some reason it doesn’t but me in a man’s vocals as much as it does a woman’s vocals.

26. Holly says:

I really loved Erika, Joshua, Skylar and Hollie tonight. Jessica is extremely talented, but I think she did too many vocal runs at the end (annoying habit of some very good singers) and I was also put off that she started her song the same way Jennifer Hudson did on the Grammy’s. Despite Slezak’s comment, she’s not quite at J Hud level yet!

27. Meme says:

Jessica is wonderful, but I think I actually prefer Hollie’s voice over Jessica’s. They were both flawless and are probably the 2 girls to challenge the rest, and overall I think the girls are stronger this year than the guys. Erika surprised me though! Good for her.

28. Jesse says:

I thought Colton was stellar tonight. Also like Jessica and Joshua. Phillip was good but could have done better. Elise is one of my favorite girls and I agree with what Slezak had to say about her. Whitney Houston is not her thing by any means but she still did great IMO.

29. Miscellaneopolan says:

Best: Jessica Sanchez. Really, it’s just stupid how good this girl is. She had feeling, power, control, and drama to spare. Stupid.

Worst: Shannon Magrane. You all heard it.

Surprisingly Good: Heejun Han. I’ve been ready to dislike his performances, but it looked like he was really feeling this. I still say that quiet voice of his can’t last the whole competition, though.

Surprisingly Unmemorable: Erika Van Pelt. I enjoyed her while she was performing, but didn’t remember much about her performance afterward.

Okay, Now I Get It: Hollie Cavanaugh. I was on the fence about her before, but that was a powerhouse performance. She has the power of Pia but she puts more feeling into her voice. Promising indeed.

I Still Don’t Get It: Jeremy Rosado. I don’t think he projected well, he missed some notes, and he was kind of dull on stage.

Personal Favorite: Deandre Brackensick. I couldn’t understand everything he said, but I had fun anyway. He was loose, he made effective use of his chest voice, and he just looked like he was having a good time. I’m very glad he was saved.

30. lemon says:

Holy Cannoli! A girl might win this year!

This has to be one of the most talented top 13’s ever.

The weakest performance of the night: Elise. She just choked. I was looking for a vocally rested, less hoarse Jen Hirsch to take her place, as I wish it had been.

Top performance of the night: Jessica. Wow….I have no words. Mary J was an incredible coach, and helped Jessica give us that awesomeness. Im a fan.

Jermaine: I listened to him, but I didn’t watch. That is a gorgeous voice. He does need the patented ‘Idol Cool Guy Makeover.’

Hollie: Reminded me of Pia. Big voice…not a lot of tonal color or texture. She was better last week.

Joshua: Sounded gooooorrrrgeous in rehearsal and hoarse in performance. Still, he was very good. I liked it!

Hee Jun: A mix of weak and gorgeous vocals. He needs voice lessons to learn how to support his voice when he’s singing softly. But, is there time for that? He is charming. Very Charming….and that goes a long way. Will make the top ten.

Erika: Beautiful singing. Will she be able to get over looking like a 40 year hotel bar singer, and get the votes? Time will tell.

DeAndre: Sounded like Terence Trent D’Arby! Where was that voice last week? Stick to this voice, DeAndre…save the falsetto for little bits here and there. Probably got himself into the top ten tonight.

Jeremy: Such a beautiful tone, but can’t get the nerves/anxiety under control. Poor kid.

It was a great night, and I’m really looking forward to the season!

31. Al says:

I think Jessica wears a bracelet that says WWJD. She looks at it and thinks What would JHud do? She’s a great technical singer, there’s no denying. But i dont feel anything when she sings. Also, if you can’t do anything original with what you’ve got, what’s the point? I feel this way about a lot of the contestants this year.

• Templar says:

Thank You! I’ve been seeing the same robotic Thia Meghia clone in Jessica, But Thia is prettier, Just sayin’.

32. Maria says:

How can you use originality and Philip Phillips in the same sentence? He is emulating Dave Matthews to a T, right down to the signature Dave shuffle dance.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’m not very familiar with Dave Matthews. By “shuffle dance,” do you mean that thing where Phillips lifts his leg while singing a particularly important note? Cause that seems like a weird tic to me.

• AndyAxel says:

If the Dave Matthews “look” was a copyright, Nigel Lithgoe & Co. would be infringing in at least six ways.

Moderators plonked my link to a youtube cap of a live Dave Matthews Band performance, but they’re all pretty much of a piece. Look up “dave matthews live” yonder and take your pick. Same slouchy taste in clothes, same alternating foot-lifting shuffle, same haircut, same vocal affect, same managed scruffiness, he even holds his same-model Taylor guitar in the same way.

In Phillip Phillips case, imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism.

• AndyAxel says:

This. This. This.

COMPLETELY derivative. Same vocal affect, same stupid casual wear, same “blues face,” he even holds his same-model Taylor guitar in the same way.

Don’t be surprised when he busts out “Ants Marching” as his song of choice.

33. TheBeach says:

All I could think of when the judges were giving their (undeserved) brutal critique of Elise was “Well, they’ve found this year’s Haley”. Granted it was not her type of song but I liked it a lot better than some of the ones they heaped mega-praise on.

• yeah says:

+1 and she is even slightly Haley in that she has a bit of distinctive voice (of a non-country twang sort) unlike the rest

• darcy's evil twin says:

Beach – I thought the same thing. Although it wasn’t a great performance it was far from a disaster and the problem was more the song than her vocals, IMO. I thought the judges were a little tougher on her than they needed to be. On the other hand I thought they were a little too easy on Jermaine.

34. daisy says:

I completely agree. While she sounded great it sounded to me like a note for note copy of Whitney’s version which I got bored with. I preferred Joshua, Erika, and Hollie who I thought all sounded great and brought something unique to the songs.

35. Volcfom says:

Skylar is definitely my favorite, with Hollie a close second. I can’t believe I’m voting country after last year’s craziness.
    I haven’t liked either of Erika’s live performances. I feel like she forces her voice to be lower than where it is comfortable. If she sticks around, I hope she moves away from typical wedding singer fare. I don’t want ballads (or rock ballads) for the next few months.

My bottom two: Shannon and Jermaine. Can we just dump them both?

• Volcfom says:

Also, I love/am disappointed how none of the judges seemed to remember Phil singing “Superstition” as his original audition song. It was still a good performance, but I don’t think they can tack on the surprised-at-the-originality critique.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Weirder still: Lopez brought up his rendition of “Thriller,” which he sung in his audition right after finishing “Superstition.” And she still said she wasn’t sure how he would handle Stevie Wonder. Is she: 1) reading from a script; 2) genuinely failing to remember; or 3) suffering from a concussion? You decide.

• Templar says:

She just has too many balls in the air. Idol, twins, a clothing line, a boy toy, car commercials and a new show with the ex.

• Kris says:

Agreed! I missed JLo’s comment about wondering how he would do with a SW song…if I had heard I would have yelled at my TV “you’ve already HEARD him sing Stevie!”

I get that (mostly) a capella auditions are different than the live shows with the whole band, but still.

36. k says:

My top three: Hollie, Skylar and Phillip

Bottom three: Jermaine, Shannon, and Jeremy.

Ok, hold your tomatoes, but I am not really feeling Jessica. She’s got a powerful voice, but I don’t like a lot of the choices she makes in her songs. She sang “I Will Always Love You” almost exactly like Whitney. She proved she can do it but I want more originality. More of Jessica. She kind of feels like a really great imitation. But in the battle of big voices, I got to go with the rawness and personality of Hollie.

37. Sena says:

OMG you are reading my mind

38. GG says:

I guess I’m the only person in America that isn’t on the Jessica bandwagon. Yes, there is no denying the girl can sing, but im just not feeling it. Maybe she will grow on me as the weeks pass.
    Also, I know several people have had negative comments on Phillip, and while there is room for growth and improvement, he is probably one of the most overall talented contestants in terms of musical ability, and individuality. That is what true artists are made of.
    I am also a big fan of Elise, Erika, Hollie, Colton, and I thought Joshua did very well tonight. I think Jermaine and Shannon will be the bottom 2, and Shannon is going home.

39. jaime says:

I think Shannon should go home, hands down. But I’m worried the judges will pick a boy to even it up… Don’t they usually send 2 home this week? Also wonder if they’ll use the judges save this year…

• darcy's evil twin says:

According to Ryan voters will pick the bottom two (one boy/one girl) and the judges will decide which one to send home.

40. daisy says:

This was in reply to an above comment about not being overly enthused about Jessica’s performance but looks like it was posted all by it’s lonesome :-(

41. GSOgymrat says:

I really enjoyed Skylar, Jessica, Holly and Joshua. I don’t get the love for Heejun- his voice isn’t very distinctive and I’m not seeing any musical creativity. I thought Philip’s performance was a disappointing mess with way too much going on. He can do better. BTW am I the only one who thinks he looks toasted half the time?

42. Gary says:

At this stage in the competition I always find myself having five or six contestants who I like,…who I root for..and whose performances are so moving that I watch them over and over. But for me, I would buy Elise’s record right now. I love how she phrases her lyrics..sooo unique. Tonight was not the best song for her but I didn’t care and liked how she did it. My biggest complaint about her: Despite being the oldest/most experienced competitor by far, she gives a fragile impression…too deflated by criticism, too overwhelmed by praise, with almost a last-chance air of desperation about her. She needs to have more fun with this thing. Anyone see this?

43. PFitzDC says:

Oh, Michael–I’m in trouble this year. My heart is going to be broken many times this spring, because this year is finally the season we Idoloonies have been waiting for and there are very few people I will want to see leave.

13 contestants and there are only 3-4 truly weak links. The rest are good, great and amazing.

How sad am I that this seems to be the year that Idol has ended its relationship with iTunes! I am so ready to download Superstition and several other numbers…but nothing on iTunes, and despite Ryan’s assurances that they are available on Idol’s site, there is nothing there.

44. PFitzDC says:

One thing could have made this show truly stupendous….

If instead of a tired, stereotyped “boys sing boy songs and girls sing girl songs” approach, how amazing would it have been if the kids coulda picked out of a hat which singer they were going to get, with some of the ladies getting Stevie and some of the gents taking on Whitney?!

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Stevie Wonder certainly would have been a better fit for Elise. And Joshua probably could’ve blasted Whitney with the best of ‘em.

So what do we think of the elimination method that’ll be used tomorrow? The judges choose between the bottom guy and bottom girl. Have they done stuff like that before? I kind of like that they’re experimenting with the criteria.

• Kevin C. says:

My assumption was that the producers didn’t like how several girls were eliminated early on, so this was their way of forcing an even gender distribution on us next week regardless of how well people actually sang this week.

45. Lindsey says:

Picking a top 2 was hard… but I went with Jessica and Phil. Rounding out my top 3 is definitely Skylar. I didn’t like her at first but she has really grown on me!

46. Abby says:

Why do music producers insist on putting you to sleep at the beginning of a song? If Jessica was on the radio, I’d’ve changed stations at the beginning. As it was, I didn’t hear her, bc I was so BORED, I surfed. I thought I loved her. Not enough to stay awake through that sludge, though.

47. Ruby says:

Man, every year I go into this wanting my favorite to be a girl, and with Jessica, Erika, Jen Hirsh, and Elise, I figured it’d be no problem. But then Phillip Phillips has to happen, and I’m like that dog in Up: “SQUIRREL?!” He’s just so cool, man. But the girls are great too. The best we’ve seen in years on this show. (I also love Hollie! So surprising every time I see her sing.)

48. Danielle Notaro says:

There is NOTHIN absolutely NO_THING ORIGINAL about P.Phillips or PP. He is a Dave Matthews clone, from the sound of his voice to the way he shuffles his feet. Get him the hell out of there.

• Billy says:

You may be right, but tonight while he was “singing” I couldn’t help but wonder if he was also channeling circa late 80s Bruce Springsteen.

49. Tyriq says:

“Who’s that”? I LOVE Heejun

50. Ali says:

My prediction: I have a feeling that Hollie will outlast Jessica in the end. Not that I’m hating on Jessica, I just think she’s a prime candidate for the polished frontrunner backlash and Hollie has more of that slow climb to the top Carrie Underwood-esque potential. But props to the girls making a strong showing this year! Was it really only one season there was a girl-girl finale? Such a shame.

• Templar says:

From your mouth etc. I’m so with you on that.

• Josh says:

I like Hollie better then Jessica only because Jessica seems a bit…manufactured…from “oh me!” looks to her song choices etc…

• JB says:

Ok I got giggly at the thought of that. I love Hollie. Which surprises me, but as soon as they finally let us see her sing during the Green Mile episode I had goosebumps. Girl has one heck of a voice. And I like the way she has amazing control of it without sounding robotic.

And there’s just something “warm” about her. Love that girl. And I really, really want to see more of Erika. I think if they A)give her better uptempo songs and B)a stylist, she could be dark horse in the competition. I like Elise but I think she may not last. Jessica is great, I actually liked what she did last night. I really don’t see the robotic Thia Megia comparison, I see much more personality and emotion with Jessica then Thia. Though I agree she may wear out her welcome.

My husaband hates Skylar because of the Reba similarity(voice) but I think she could be great. But after last year’s disastrous country finale(disliked the final two immensely, poor Haley) I can’t help but root against another country finalist.

The guys I’m kinda meh on this year. They’re decent, just nothing that excites me. And oh god I would rather have a wisecracking Heejun in the finals then “I want to be Dave Matthews and grunt my words” Phil Phillips. Sadly I think the teen girl vote will push him to the finals. blech