Idol Leaderboard: Who Are Your Favorites From the Top 13? (Take Our Poll!)

idol top 13The American Idol Season 11 finals kick off tonight — with male contestants tackling the Stevie Wonder songbook, and the ladies covering Whitney Houston. Before they do, check out our pre-performance night rankings, then vote for your three favorite vocalists in our scientifically infallible poll!

1. Jessica Sanchez | Quietly roared onto the scene with powerful Buddy Holly and Celine Dion covers in Vegas, then nailed a J.Hud ditty despite a sore throat on Top 12 girls night. Even better? Despite her youth and immense talent, Uncle Nigel has been allowing folks to hop aboard Jessica’s bandwagon instead of getting behind the wheel and running them over with it. Hey, maybe old dogs can learn new tricks?

2. Elise Testone | After Season 10′s youth domination, this 28-year-old’s emergence as a front-runner is refreshing. The only one of four contestants to tackle Adele in the semifinals and survive — she’s got a gorgeous sandpaper-y tone and a real ability to connect with the lyrics of the songs she chooses. Bonus points for weaving room-service flowers into her hair.

3. Phillip Phillips | Immediate contender based on his scorching, acoustic, auditon-round cover of “Thriller,” and he’s done little since to dissuade his legions of fans. Top 12 rendition of “In the Air Tonight” proved he’s willing to take chances with his arrangements, and Jimmy Iovine’s “I’d sign him today!” critique bodes well.

4. Joshua Ledet | He brings Gospel fervor and a gale-force instrument to the Top 13 — and he’s yet to hit a bum note while receiving plenty of screen time since Hollywood Week. Ability to show restraint and position himself as a relevant radio artist will be keys to his success, but there’s really no denying he’s got as much raw talent as any of his competitors.

5. Skylar Laine | Human firecracker proved absolutely combustible on Top 12 ladies night with a fantastic cover of “Stay With Me.” It can’t hurt that she’s the only country artist left standing in Season 11, or that she’s apparently got the power to convert non-country fans (like yours truly).

6. Colton Dixon | Has a powerful rock voice, serious skills at the keyboard, and hot/ridiculous hair — three qualities that help him stand out with voters in a still-crowded field. Could probably benefit from a little more levity — sometimes, dude seems to take himself a little deathly seriously for this particular venue — but if he can navigate Idol‘s theme weeks and make songs his own, he might keep the show’s white-guy winning streak alive.

7. Hollie Cavanagh | Has gotten less hype than Jon Huntsman in the Republican primaries, yet voters rewarded her with a spot in the finals after a powerful (albeit slightly tremulous) cover of “Reflection.” A little more confidence, slightly better enunciation, and hipper choice of material could catapult her from live longshot to legit front-runner.

8. Erika Van Pelt | Needed a Wild Card to overcome her No. 2 performance slot and not-entirely-flashy showing on Top 12 ladies’ night, but her tone is sublime, and her “Edge of Glory” results-night cover had more passion than a Twilight junkie outside Robert Pattinson’s hotel balcony. Being the sixth most-popular woman with Idol voters could make her vulnerable, but additional/very positive Wild Card exposure can’t be underestimated.

9. Heejun Han | May be a case of personality over voice — but less entertaining and less talented contestants have cracked the Top 10 in seasons past. If he can pull off an uptempo number, it might make his musical persona seem a little less fusty, but either way, he’s got a good chance to last until April — provided he keeps the “Jimmy who?” jokes coming.

10. Deandre Brackensick | He’s got plenty of raw talent — but the emphasis is on raw. His Earth Wind & Fire cover on Top 12 guys’ night revealed Deandre isn’t entirely sure what to do with his voice — or his body — in front of a big, live audience. Needs to grow in confidence — and quickly — to have a legit shot at the title.

11. Shannon Magrane | If it looks like a pageant contestant, and sings like a pageant contestant, and gives sound bites like a pageant contestant…can it make the Idol Season 11 Summer Tour?

12. Jeremy Rosado | His restrained and lovely “Gravity” was one of the best among the Top 12 guys, but he needed his fairy godmother J.Lo to advance him to the finals via Wild Card. Needs to prove his commercial relevance pronto — and banish any hint of borderline panic/desperation for success — or a “Mr. Congeniality” banner may be his consolation prize.

13. Jermaine Jones | His semifinal cover of “Dance With My Father” was okay, but would he really have cracked the Top 10 without the “last-minute dramatic-twist” entry into the Top 13 guys, and subsequent pimp spot on performance night? Doubtful. And without those advantages this week, he might become the proverbial “It’s an honor just to be nominated” contestant.

Who are your Season 11 favorites? Vote for your Top 3 in the poll below, then explain your picks in the comments!

Comments (103)

• HOLLIE <3

Comment by Zach – March 7, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You forgot Shannon on the poll! My vote is for her.

Comment by Jo – March 7, 2012 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish I could forget Shannon…

Comment by Louie – March 7, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Louie: I suspect there are many who share your sentiments. Hopefully, we soon will.

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 7, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sorry, I am not getting the Jessica Sanchez love. It’s reminding me of last season when I couldn’t get on board with Pia…..

I have three favorites this year…Elise, Erika, and Phillip. Hoping Heejun stays around for awhile too — he makes me smile.

Comment by blingedup.susan – March 7, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know exactly what you mean about Jessica. Technically perfect. Emotionally a vacuum. There’s just no “there” there, no connection to the song. I can’t believe a thing she sings. I have the feeling she’ll go home before the final six.

Comment by Rock Golf – March 7, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Emotionally a vacuum? No connection to the song? Did you not see “The Prayer”?

Comment by Tim – March 7, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes. She was very good but there was way too much vibrato for me. Plus, that’s just not my style.
          I DID love Holly singing “Reflections”. Don’t ask me to explain.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree about Jessica, I’m just not getting the love for her. I think she’s a total Pia/Thia 2.0, technically very talented, but just doesn’t connect.

Comment by Loni – March 7, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too like Elise Erika and Phillip. And it be nice if Heejun stayed around til top 8 week. I also dont get why Jessica is being put at nr. 1 so quick… She is good and one the strongest on the show. She is def. one the top 5 best… But she isnt nr.1 yet at least not to me and some my friends.

Comment by JJ – March 7, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @blingedup.susan – I’m glad there are other people that aren’t wild about Jessica. Technically she’s quite good but I’m just not connecting with her. In a way she reminds me of some of those young performers on those Disney shows my nieces watch that are pretending to be more grown-up than they actually are. I wasn’t sure if age (mine, not hers) might be the problem – But I LOVED Allison Iraheta! Let me make it clear I don’t dislike Jessica and I wouldn’t refuse to ever watch the program again if she won.
      And yes, I felt the same way about Pia. I loved Pia’s voice but wasn’t wild about her performances.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jessica reminds me of Thia and David A., pushed unmercifully by overbearing stage parents.

Comment by Templar – March 7, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Funny you mention David Archuleta. I felt the same way about him. Technically he was absolutely solid and a nice guy but I wasn’t wild about him. Loved David Cook, though! :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree..Cook was like 8th place during the wild cards and then blew by the field…it’s hard holding on as the frontrunner all year..I think only Carrie and Scotty pulled it off in last 7 years.

Comment by mailmanjim – March 7, 2012 07:24 PM PDT
        • Are you sure that Jessica is “pushed unmercifully by overbearing stage parents?” Or is Jessica herself so starstruck that she’s driving her parents so that she can be crowned “American Idol.”

I haven’t seen the footage on her parents, but my impression is that this is what Jessica wants. Either way, it’s still seems emotonally unhealthy to me.

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 7, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The fact that she is technically near perfect, yet has zero emotional connection to the music should answer your question. We all saw David A’s stage dad and read about how interfering he was to the Idol people. Thia is another example of what happens when parents live vicariously through their children. Watch David sing sometime. False, practiced [dare I say corny] emoting.

Comment by Templar – March 8, 2012 07:25 AM PDT
    • I felt no emotionalconnection from Pia, and also nothing paticularly special about her talent despite being technically perfect. I feel Jessica’s connection strongly, way more so than Pia – but also, her vocal talent is transencdent.

Comment by Ben – March 7, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tonight is going to be a bloodbath. People either vote for who sang it best or vote their fave regardless of poor performance. If they vote on good performance Heejun will be history. If they vote for faves, Jermaine is out. JMO

Comment by Templar – March 7, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • People absolutely need to get behind the best performance. This is a singing contest. Who can survive all the genres, themes, etc. and make EACH song special enough for a rewind? Haven’t heard/seen that in a while now. I keep flashing back to Season 8 when that actually happened to me every single week.

Comment by Meme – March 7, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “This is a singing contest”. It’s like Randy saying “you’re in it to win it”. Saying it doesn’t make it true. Sorry, but its an entertainment contest, its a looks contest, its a personality contest. The comment above you has a fundamental flaw in that it says ‘if people vote x way’ – the votes will come in for all sorts of reasons, and the overall results can never be catergorised so simply as that. I think Shannon, Erika and Jeremy may be in bigger trouble than Heejun or Jermaine, because I think they might miss out on both the ‘best performance’ and ‘most favourite’ votes.

Comment by Ben – March 7, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *sigh*
          Does this explain how Lee Dewyze beat Crystal Bowersox?
          oh, the inhumanity!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • D.E.T – Yes, no, maybe, sort of. (*sigh*)

Without a doubt, Crystal was the true and best talent of that season. (With the exception of “Farmer’s Daughter” and a few others, I LOVE the stuff she writes. And her style is highly unusual for me.)

The result of that season may have been the epitome of the much discussed “tween” vote for the WGWG. (This, despite the obvious fact that Crystal was a white GIRL with guitar!)

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 7, 2012 06:57 PM PDT
          • It would be really interesting to be able to nail down the exact voting demographic.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 08:01 PM PDT
    • Since Jermaine beat Jeremy and Deandre in last week’s voting, shouldn’t either of them be at more risk than he is if people just vote for their favorites instead of taking this week’s performances into account? Or did the wild card performances already win them a lot of new fans?

Comment by Joy – March 7, 2012 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good point, Joy.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • colton dixon and philip phillips my favs

Comment by erika – March 7, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite is Elise Testone. I love her whole bluesy rock fun intense talent vibe. She should perform a Stevie Nicks song!!!

Comment by Brianna – March 7, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • although Jessica is awesome I wouldnt give her the nr 1 spot. She is top 5 for sure but not nr 1 to me yet. I agree with Elise and Phillp they are def in my top 3… Erika is better than 8th she is at least top 6 worthy and in my top 4. Josh is good but not top 5. I’d place him 6th or 7th. But everyone has their favorites and for good reasons. So ya.

Comment by JJ – March 7, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t get the Jessica love either. She’s not that uniquely talented and won’t prove likable as winners need to be to earn the ultimate vote. Skylar is my bet top female, likable and commercial.

Colton and Phillip are my top guys. If anything I think Phillip comes off most serious of the guys, not Colton. I’m looking forward to what unique spin both bring to the competition.

Comment by JK – March 7, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I choose Hollie, Elise and Phillip. I hope that Hollie gets out the big ballad box, but I loved the final song she did in Vegas. I just can’t get behind Joshua, but then I am not a Fantasia fan either (I know, blasphemy on Slezak’s site)

Comment by cheri – March 7, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hollie, Elise, Erika. Strong field this year!

I feel like we need to accept that Idol is a new animal now- a singing contest without any judging. I like it. Just throw a bunch of really talented people up there, and let the audience fight it out. It makes me want to vote.

Last year I didn’t feel like voting for anyone because the results seemed like a foregone conclusion, and the pool was pretty weak. If the pimping is less obvious this year and the judges become cheerleaders and nothing more, and the contestants are naturally competitive, I’m tempted to vote every week to keep my favorite on the show. Just like when Idol originally debuted.

Comment by Karen O – March 7, 2012 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said Karen O. I like the new beast too. I’m sick of being told who to vote for.

Comment by Ben – March 7, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m on the Elise bandwagon. Am I the only one who heard echos of Janis at the end of her last song? I loved it, whatever it was I heard lol.
    I’m not a country fan normally, but Skylar has converted me for now. Time will tell, but she’s got a decent voice and a personality that’s very much likable.
    So sue me, I like Heejun. I’ve heard wonderful qualities in his voice that I don’t believe he’s aware he has. I hope a good mentor can bring that quality to the surface before it’s too late. People are either going to accept the fact that English isn’t his first language or not. If that is the criteria some will use not to vote for him, no amount of wonderful vocals will change that. Unfortunately.

Comment by Ana Muti – March 7, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Heejun too and agree with you that he has more than he knows. Love Elise’s voice but don’t like Skylar’s voice at all!

Comment by Meme – March 7, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with your comments on Heejun as well. I actually think his VOICE is really nice, its just that his ACCENT makes it harder to hear that. In ‘Angels’ I loved his tone, and thats what I am listening to for him. His phrasing is always going to be a bit “foreign” to our ears, so here’s hoping voters can get over it.

I really do wonder how his voice would sound if they could find some song in Korean he could sing?

Comment by Kiwi – March 7, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree Ana – I love Heejun’s voice and his tone. I think the whole ‘accent’ thing is only a problem to those who want everyone to sound exactly the same (or exactly like them). I don’t mind it at all, in fact in some ways it adds to the character of his performances.

Comment by Ben – March 7, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Ana Muti – you are not alone in recognizing some lovely qualities in Heejun’s voice, as Meme, Kiwi, and Ben have echoed.

As I have mentioned in an earlier post (I’m not sure when — maybe last week), I see Heejun as the one who will benefit the most from the vocal coaching the contestants get (which is not to say that he’s the only one who needs it, but only that I think he may be more receptive to this guidance than others). If that perception is correct, his journey on Idol could be a very interesting one for those of us interested in him.

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 7, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Skylar will be as good as Reba some day, but personally I don’t think that will happen. She would be my number 13, not number 5 … really?

Comment by Meme – March 7, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t like Shannon if I thought of her as a pagent singer.

But her audition (start at 2:00 in to avoid the lame stuff) is far from pagent… and shows something that I think can be refined and perhaps really flower over the season (it needs improvement to be great but she’s got some instinct for it to build on)

off the internet

again needs polishing, but coaches and a band etc… she seems to like this sort of things.. when she improves its kinda interesting.

Comment by Tom22 – March 7, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Darn, cant edit

the second one is Improv not improve .. its more interesting than the audition.. might not be super great or anything but it was 100% natural for her and not at all pagent.

Comment by Tom22 – March 7, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Top 3 for me: Erika, Jeremy, Skylar

Comment by Karen – March 7, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IMO Skylar is an Allison Iraheta wannabe.

Comment by Templar – March 7, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was a big Allison fan and I’m not seeing the comparison at all. But time will tell.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haaaaa, no one has voted for Shannon yet. Awkward.

Comment by Carrie #2 – March 7, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because somebody left her (Shannon) off by their ignorance…not fair. Start the poll over!!! :)

Comment by wayne – March 7, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whitney Houston week for the ladies…HA! Many will crash and burn but I anticipate a few may be able to hold their own: Jessica, Hollie (if she can manage her nerves and stay on pitch), and Erika. I also do hope that Idol has banned the singing of “I Will Always Love You”.

Comment by Margo – March 7, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is Satan running this program? Whitney Houston and Stevie Wonder? Seriously? Whitney Houston was an incredible talent but this will be tough. The ladies will definitely need to avoid trying to sound like Whitney and put their own spin on the songs. I’m just plain tired of Stevie Wonder’s songs on this program. Nothing against Stevie Wonder – he’s an incredible talent and I grew up on his music. “Songs in the Key of Life” is still one of my favorite albums. I’d just like to see something different on Idol.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hence why I said a lot of ladies will crash and burn tonight LOL You really do have to be a true vocalist to be able to perform a Whitney song justice…and I feel like a lot of ladies will come out sounding quite underwhelming. We’ll see if they prove me wrong lol As for Stevie…I was going to mention that but I was like blah…but Im glad to see someone finds performing Stevie on Idol…tiring. From the ones who sound like wannabes to the ones who just suck…I’m not looking forward to it lol

Comment by Margo – March 7, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “albums”. Yikes. My old is showing.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah none them can dare sing it anything like she did, nobody could be expected to have the voice for that but more so nobody here even has a hint of that sort of voice, so anyone who tries…. doom.

Comment by somebody – March 7, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • D.E.T. – in an earlier post (last week after the theme for tonight had been announced), I responded, somewhat tongue in cheek, that the girls should do the Stevie Wonder songs and the guys should have to do the Whitney repetoire.

After I thought about it a bit more, I realized that my sarcastic/absurd idea could actually have been a good thing. While women have always sung Stevie’s songs, men don’t usually do Whitney’s songs. Which would mean that the immediate and obvious comparisions would be gone, at a raw point (her recent demise). It would also have really forced the guys to show “their stuff”, which could have been a revealing, and, ultimately, game changer.

Comment by My Alter Ego – March 7, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I hope they try that next year!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it just me, or does this theme come off as if Idol is perfectly happy to see another all-female bloodbath in this year’s early rounds? There’s a reason the judges have so often warned contestants away from Whitney songs in the past — almost nobody winds up sounding good when that’s the standard they’re being compared to. Stevie Wonder’s songs are definitely overplayed on Idol, but they still often show off contestants’ voices to pretty good effect — and they’ve also been easier for contestants to rework creatively instead of having to work so hard just to color in the lines of the original. I fear that lots of guys will come out of this week having framed themselves appealingly as “artists,” while the buzz on the women will be all about the vocal limitations their songs have forced them to expose.

Comment by Joy – March 7, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You bring up some interesting points about the choice of Whitney songs for the women. I noticed several of the girls last week had limitations in their lower register (including Jessica) and in the upper range on the Whitney songs most of them will sound like they’re screaming. Not too many people could sing like Whitney.
        Someone posted on an earlier board they should have the guys sing Whitney and the girls do Stevie Wonder, LOL. Now THAT would be interesting.
        As I said, the girls will have to avoid trying to sound/sing like Whitney, be creative, and put their own spin on the songs. And praise God and pass the harmonica, maybe we’ll hear some different Stevie Wonder songs. He had a huge catalog.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m torn between Colton and Elise. They finally have 2 unique artists with the talent to win, not just finish 5th of 6th place. Some of Casey’s antics last year were appealing, but I was shocked and disappointed he got the judges save. I never thought Casey took American Idol seriously. I hope they get rid of the 1 save. Then there would be no need for the dreaded “sing for your life.” I felt bad for the singers who obviously weren’t going to get another chance. And they never used the save on anyone good. Do they really need another way to extend the results show? Cut that sucker back to 30 minutes! It’s not like the actually judge anyway, so why should they have any say so as to what America wants. As Heidi says on my other favorite reality show, One day your in, the next day your out!

Comment by Jane – March 7, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HOLLIE, JESSICA, PHILLIP 4TW!!

Comment by Phill – March 7, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In 3 years from now DeAndre, Jessica and Hollie will have there music on the radio and looking at grammy nominations, they are the only unique voices on idol this year, that is not to say that the others aren’t talented, THEY ARE but they don’t bring anything NEW to the table. Just an old timers opinion.

Comment by 48np – March 7, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heejun’s “personality” will grow tired after a few weeks. He’s not a singer. He’s not even Casey and Casey turned into a bit of a novelty act. The novelty act guys give you same/same each week and then people get off the bandwagon.
    Very disappointed to see the “haters” out in force for Jessica. She’s amazing. She has the voice. She has stage presence. She’s way too good for her age. She’s beautiful. Hence, American Idol braindead voters will turn on her. AI Voters want to vote for bruised peaches. If you don’t show a major flaw, they hate you. It’s all self projection. Especially when it comes to female contestants. The best thing Jessica can do is burp, fall down a flight of stairs and fart while Seacrest interviews her, otherwise the underdawg voters will hate her all the way to a shock exit.

Comment by Joe – March 7, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sorry, but I don’t believe anyone “hates” Jessica. She’s very talented. Some of us just aren’t connecting with her and there are other contestants we prefer to Jessica. That’s all.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, this. The comments I’m seeing aren’t about hate; a handful of people are just noting that they’re less enthusiastic than the majority at this point. I’m with those who are so far more excited about some of the other contestants, but I still think she’s an excellent singer and I would be happy to see her last a long way into the competition.

Comment by Joy – March 7, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. Jessica is programmed by stage parents to deliver. People will be picking up on this in the coming weeks.

Comment by JJ – March 7, 2012 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m tired of people who assume I vote for Heejun because he’s funny. I’d buy a Heejun album, which is more than I can say for Phil Phil or Colton.

Comment by Ben – March 7, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Okay. I hope people don’t assume I don’t care for Heejun because I don’t find him particularly funny, or because he has an accent, or because he’s Asian. I honestly don’t care for his vocals – it’s that simple. He put Robbie Williams’ “Angels” under a truck, drove over it, backed over it, dragged it down the interstate, and set that song on fire as far as I was concerend. But he seems like a genuinely nice person, his singing is decent, and I’m not going have major heartburn if he lasts a while.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I went back and re-watched last week’s performances by the ladies. And I decided the following -
    I’m still not on the Jessica Sanchez bandwagon. But she’s very good.
    Hollie has a beautiful voice. She reminds me a little of Martina McBride.
    I love Elise and Erika. They both have amazing confidence on stage. I love their style and their voices. I agree with Slezak – Erika should go brunette again!
    I loved, loved, loved Skylar’s performance and energy.
    Who should go home tonight? Jermaine or Heejun, assuming all the performances are good.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13. Jermaine Jones. I would not be able to listen to a whole CD with him singing, because of his voice. He sure is a nice guy, but I don’t think he has any chance at winning.
    12. Shannon Magrane. Has a great voice, but doesn’t have a lot of life experience. I would send her on a trip around the world for three years and then let her re-enter the competition. She has potential, but she simply came too early.
    11. Heejun Han. Is probably gonna make it far, because he is funny. I like him too, but his voice is not good enough to make it very far.
    10. DeAndre Brackensick. He could surprise, but I never really liked him. Too much falsetto and too much flipping his hair around.
    09. Erika Van Pelt. I’m not feeling it yet. I love the idea of making her a brunette and giving her a new look. I hope she listens to Idology, haha! Has an okay voice, but compared to some of the other singers she can be a little forgetable.
    08. Jeremy Rosado. I liked him since his first performance in Hollywood, but I agree that he might be too normal.
    07. Jessica Sanchez. Such an amazing voice. She is the same age as Shannon, but she shows much more passion and credibility. I only put her seventh because I’m not really sure who is going to vote for her and what her fanbase are going to be like. But she has real potential!
    06. Colton Dixon. Being the only rocker in the competition he should be a safe for a couple of weeks.
    05. Skylar Laine. Being the only country-singer in the competition she should also be safe for a couple of weeks, but can a country-artist really win two years in a row? Scotty and Lauren may be her biggest enemies in this.
    04. Hollie Cavanagh. I really like Hollie. I really want her to go far just to see what Nigel might do to her. Her final judgement performance is probably my favorite performance so far this whole season. She needs to show variety and she could go far.
    03. Joshua Ledet. Probably the best voice in the competition. I’m looking forward to seeing what he is going to do.
    02. Phillip Phillips. Great performances, great voice, lots of screen time (which means Nigel loves him), sweet guy, good looks. He’s the front-runner in my mind and I don’t mind that. He’s very talented and I would be happy to buy a record with him any time.
    01. Elise Testone. Showing a lot of passion for music, which is one of the most important things for me personally. She has had amazing performances and I agree that an “older” winner this year would be great.

Comment by Mik – March 7, 2012 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not sure I’d call Colton a “rocker”. He’s kind of a cross between New Wave and contemporary radio. I’m not sure what he is and I alternate between liking him and being on the fence. I do believe he’s talented.
      Erika has more of a “rocker” voice.
      Joshua Ledet is very good but at one point I believe it was Randy that said they hadn’t heard a voice like his, to which one of my friends said, “Uh, been in CHURCH lately, Randy?”.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting Slezak. I have Erika in last place for 3 reasons: 1. Girls have gone home first in the finals for the past four years, with the last guy who went home being Brandon Rogers. 2. A wild card has almost always gone home first (they are coming in to the finals without the voting block most of the time) and 3. Erika isn’t unique. She has a rock voice but we’ve all heard it before and better. Plus her refusal to change the arrangements of the song and just sing a boring straight forward version smells like a Season 1 odor. Just my input. Jeremy Rosado is the one wild card with the most potential to go far. No one gets DeAndre, which is why I’ve referred to him in my Idol articles as The Tree of Life. He will be leaving shortly as will Jermaine.

Comment by Joseph Braverman – March 7, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brandon WHO???? LOL. You have an amazing memory.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Brandon Rogers sadly choked during the live shows. He was adorable and his voice was fantastic. Such a shame!

Comment by T – March 7, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m impressed and will try to remember this guy. What did he sing when he got voted off the island?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t be surprised either if Erika goes out first. She’s actually the type that the tweenie girl voters have no interest in.

Comment by Tim – March 7, 2012 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant to say “exactly”, not “actually”. She’s not in their age group, doesn’t sing their kind of songs, and isn’t a cute guy. Three strikes, you’re out.

Comment by Tim – March 7, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m also picking Erika (or possibly Shannon) as the first out. Jermaine is a chance, but I think he has a base.

Comment by Ben – March 7, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or a bass. ;-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As for my top favorites who I hope go far are: Jessica, Hollie, DeAndre, and Phillip.

Comment by Margo – March 7, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colton, Jessica, Philip, erika and hollie– don’t get the Elise love at all and if there’s any justice jermaine and deandre will be out soon

Comment by Phil – March 7, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m all about the Elise-Phillip-Erika trio of awesome this season, with a little bit of Reba Jr. mixed in there for good measure. Strangely enough, there’s only about two contestants I really don’t care for in the finals (Jermaine and poor Shannon). I can’t remember the last time I didn’t actively dislike more than 5-6 of them at this point. Season 7 maybe?
    I feel bad for all of them with this week’s theme, though. Probably pretty safe to call this one the Hunger Games arena of theme weeks.

Comment by Cat – March 7, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The Hunger Games arena of theme weeks”
      Oh, SNAP. Good one!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – March 7, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elise, Hollie and Erika. If they leave, then I’ll get behind Jessica and Skylar.

I do not get the Phillip Phillips love. I find him a Dave Matthews clone and completely unoriginal. But he’ll win unfortunately.

Comment by Pam – March 7, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You might be right about PhilPhil… it seems mr WGWG season 11 is alrady winning the poll! (currently)

Comment by Kiwi – March 7, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, You take away the guitar and his flaws will show. I really don’t think he is
      That good, maybe he will surprise me. The only two guys who voice I like are Joshua
      And Jeremy who don’t stand a chance.

Comment by Mary – March 7, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see why the girls and guys can’t choose between Whitney Houston and Stevie Wonder equally. Mariah Carey week turned out to be fantastic for the guys in S7.

While my 3 favs are (in no particular order) Hollie, Skylar and Phillip, I really don’t think Shannon is that bad. I don’t think she deserves to be panned the way she has been in this column. She was great in Hollywood week and deserves a couple more performances before being criticized so harshly – she has a great voice, just needs some mentoring, like Deandre, and everyone seems to forgive him.

Comment by Princess Adora – March 7, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe they’re forcing the gender segregation on the artists for that very reason – if (ie) Joshua took on a Whitney song and obliterated the competition (being the most likely male to do so at face value) there would be no way for a girl to reply – the ol’ “comparision to a great artist” would kick in on any whitney song they did, and there aren’t a lot of “belt-outable” stevie songs that could even the odds…?

Comment by Kiwi – March 7, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know Shannon extremely well and I will bet you she makes the top 6 or 7.

Comment by JChiro – March 7, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disagree that it is a competition that you vote on how you would score each round objectively like a teacher giving a grade. …. Strongly disagree in fact

This is the entertainment business and hopefully we are entering a new age of the live variety show like Ed Sullivan the smothers brothers tony Orlando and dAwn etc

Which singers would you want to watch perform and be a guest on shows in the future is the question I ask before voting

Grace iand humor in front of a microphone. And the some of past performance we’ve seen whether duets orr auditions or stuff floating on the Internet all count for me in deciding which performer I want to see on shows in the future

Comment by Tom22 – March 7, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know this isn’t the pertinent issue but I happen to LOVE both Colton and Deandre’s do’s. If I want to see generic man do’s, I’ll go to the mall.
    As far as my favorite performers…Colton, Jessica, Phil Phil, and possibly Elise.
    My bottom three (as always) – Randy, Jennifer, and Steven

Comment by Sandi – March 7, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Shannon the only one not listed in the poll? She’s my favorite by far.

Comment by Mel – March 7, 2012 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does have Shannon have a percentage yet we are unable to vote for her?

Comment by Where is Shannon – March 7, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s funny seeing the comments about Jessica not connecting…..I remember the same comments about Carrie Underwood.

Comment by Lori – March 7, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t see Season 4, but despite her voice I find Jessica very, I don’t know, fake? Whether she’s connecting with the song or not, I’m certainly not connecting with her. Hated her performance.

Comment by David – March 7, 2012 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, judges tough tonight, but will they be tough on all or all fake an only tough on some? So far they gave full critique to Elise. I just wonder if they will be 100% out there with the others. I tend to very much doubt it.
    If they are even and tough, awesome, if not, then it’s more B.S. of some version of last year.

Comment by somebody – March 7, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad to say Elise has let me down; nerves got to her. The others are stepping up. I think the judges have been pretty good so far.

Comment by Ana Muti – March 7, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shannon is trying too hard and she’s becoming a hot mess. She just needs stage experience and she’ll be very good.

Comment by Ana Muti – March 7, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colton is 866-436-5705, Erika van pelt is 5704

Comment by Jake – March 7, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow rough for most of the song for Skylar. Where Do Broken Hearts Go was NOT the song to take on! And my god not for a country singer!

Comment by John – March 7, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She had one tiny little good moment but the rest, especially the entire first two thirds so nothing doing. The judges were softer on her than some others. Others had more than a little good moment but got criticism out and out for all.

Comment by John – March 7, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone notice that Phillip Phillips number was different than every other contestant? Everyone else had a number that was in numerical order and he had a random number…. hmmm…. doesn’t seem right.

Comment by Laura – March 7, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I remember correctly, the number 866 436 5713 was already taken by something else — seems like it may have been something…..as we parents like to say….inappropriate. lol

Comment by blingedup.susan – March 7, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Jessica won the night, but I’m not convinced about her. I want her to move away from the Pia factor: someone who has a great voice but somehow just can’t get the personality to come through.

My sig/other and I debated whether it was a fail that JS seemed to do a cover more than make it her own, or better to honor Whitney by not improvising/changing what is now a classic.

I have to admit I’m simply tired of the song. But JS really showed range and a beautiful tone.

Comment by Ana Muti – March 7, 2012 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHANNON MAGRANE ALL THE WAY:)

Comment by oakley – March 7, 2012 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I seriously have to say it’s either Erika, Jessica, Skylar in the girls and in the guys I would seriously pick Colton, Deandre,Heejum ham they are my all time favorites of tonights show.

Comment by Tracy VanDusen – March 7, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really am enjoying the girls singers this season.

There are some powerhouses in the female contestants this season. I am loving most of them.

Comment by geegee – March 8, 2012 03:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is just something about Hollie that I love. Her voice is amazing.

my top 3: Hollie, Phillip, Joshua.

Comment by Mara – March 8, 2012 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post