The Voice Recap: Pick Your Battles

jesse campbellXtina sat in her boudoir while her team listened up. But girlfriend did not serve magnolia wine. In the Battle Round heat, is where her singers began to freak. Gitchie, gitchie yaya da da. Gitchie gitchie ya ya here.

Oh-whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh, apologies for the unfortunate riff on “Lady Marmalade.” But it was hard not to take the plunge after seeing the Lady Aguilera train her team for The Voice Battle Rounds in a brothel-esque chamber — complete with candelabras, velvet animal-print furniture, 10,000 ornate throw pillows, a taxidermized owl, and yet another “peeka–boobs” blouse from Xtina herself. (Enhancing the bedroom theme, Cee Lo showed up to coach his minions clad in violet silk pajamas!)

Perhaps all the sleepytime accouterments made our coaches a wee bit drowsy: They arguably got things wrong in four (maybe five) of the week’s six decisions in the segment of the competition where each coach divides his or her team into six sets of two, assigns a song to each duo, and then asks them to (as Adam Levine would say) “sing in harmony while secretly trying to destroy each other.”

(Side note: Does anyone wish that the coaches weren’t allowed to lay eyes on contestants after “turning around” in the auditions, meaning the Battle Rounds could still be a “blind” part of the competition? Perhaps the guest mentors could handle the training sessions at this stage of the game, leaving Blake, Adam, Cee Lo, and Xtina to make all their picks before the live rounds based solely on vocals. Just some food for thought.)

Anyhow, let’s break down each individual battle — ranked from least- to most-promising winner:

Team Cee Lo: Cheesa d. Angie Johnson
I liked how Blake politely noted this duet had some good moments and some average ones, because honestly, that’s about as effusive as anyone could get over this not exactly stellar rendition of “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” Angie definitley had a few more pitch issues in the opening third of the Bonnie Tyler classic, but by the end of the song, Cheesa sounded like a woman who’d just run a half-marathon in stilettos, and her appealingly husky tone had dissipated into little more than a gasp. I guess you could say she nailed the “now I’m only falling apart” part of the lyrics? It’s probably a moot point, since neither woman seemingly has the chops to go far once the voting begins, but I’d have sided with Blake and chosen Angie based on “clarity and diction” alone.

Team Xtina: Chris Mann. d. Monique Benabou
The pre-performance edit for Chris and Monique was definitely the most suspenseful. Would the untrained Monique use her raw passion to prevail on “The Power of Love,” or would it be classically trained Chris, who played the “pay myself a subtle compliment when I’m asked for my weakness” card and declared that he sometimes psychs himself out with his complete commitment to vocal perfection? (Insert eye roll here.) Jewel turned out to be a great guest mentor — playing back video of Monique’s audition to point out how her breathing led to pitch problems — but alas, it turned out that Monique won’t yet be able to make good on her dream to “retire my mom and dad.” (Anyone else conjure up an image of the Benabous being sent to a pasture behind Blake’s barn?) To my ears, Chris was absolutely abysmal — employing ridiculous amounts of vibrato and such violently strained passion that I actually started laughing mid-performance — but the chick with the bespangled veggie steamer strapped to her head disagreed, and for the time being, she’s making the calls around here.

Team Blake: RaeLynn d. Adley Stump
Blake’s wife, Miranda Lambert (herself a reality veteran via Nashville Star) gave great advice to RaeLynn: If you don’t have enormous lung capacity, don’t try to outbelt a belter. Alas, though, it wasn’t enough to prevent RaeLynn from being just under the melody for almost the entirety of Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin’.” Adley, who didn’t impress me at all during her audition, showed massive improvement this round, employing finesse and restraint on the verses, cheekily pointing to Cee Lo on the line “all the bad boys,” and pretty much swallowing her rival whole on the chorus. How this led to Blake “believing” RaeLynn’s storytelling more than Adley’s is as much a mystery to me as whether or not he was coaching his team on an actual farm, or just an intricate Hollywood set made to look like a farm.

Team Blake: Jordis Unga d. Brian Fuente
In a reality genre where contestants rarely take ownership of their failures, I appreciated Jordis calling her performance of “Ironic” a “trainwreck,” even though I actually thought she sounded pretty solid on Alanis Morissette’s dippy ’90s hit. Still, even if Jordis didn’t exactly succeed in her mission to “become this song” — surely, she’d have needed bib overalls, a patchwork blouse, and a floppy hat to achieve the desired result — it would’ve been hard for her to lose to Brian, who performed the whole number as if he was Jordis’ breathy, pitch-challenged backup singer. Let’s hope that going forward Jordis treats The Voice less like a therapist’s couch to explore her personal and professional demons, and simply exorcises them by rocking out. If so, she might have an actual shot at winning!

Team Xtina: Jesse Campbell d. Anthony Evans Jr.
If you’re not a fan of over-the-top, Gospel-inflected holleration, then chances are you shut off this week’s Voice episode around 9:50 ET, and got an early start on your pre-bedtime reading. But in all honesty, even if the complaint hotline for Jesse-Vs.-Anthony was 1-800-Waaay-Too-Much, it was nevertheless an impressive display of raw, unrestrained vocal horsepower that nearly blew Xtina’s tiny hat off her tortured blonde locks. Anthony’s glory note was insane enough that it would’ve been locked in an English countryside attic by its dashing ex-husband (if it was in a ye-olde-times novel), but Blake was correct that “however Jesse said ‘baby'” sealed the deal in the one decision tonight that really can’t be disputed: Jesse may be a little cocky, but as long as he hits every note with Jeter-like proficiency, he can probably get away with it.

Team Adam: Tony Lucca d. Chris Cauley
Of all the night’s battles, this was probably the most difficult to call — especially since Tony and Chris’ voices often blended into a seamless harmony on their cover of U2’s “Beautiful Day.” All things being equal, then, you’d think Adam would’ve rewarded the singer daring enough to rock a pair of red pants, as opposed to the one who was dressed like the most stylish dad at a grade-school parent-teacher conference. Okay, okay…I’m kidding. (Not really.) But even though I knew from the second Adam announced the matchup that the former Malibu Shores/Mickey Mouse Club star was certain to win, and even though Tony was arguably the most talented singer to advance on Monday’s telecast, I’ll say that I was more impressed with Chris’ slightly more current, R&B take on the U2 hit.  I guess that’s the frutstrating part of Battle Rounds, though: The judges can think you’re the second-most-talented person from a group of 12 singers, and you can still wind up getting cut.

What did you think of the first week of Season 2 Battle Rounds? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Keisha says:

Blake’s choices proved that the show isn’t about The Voice. His picks were based on looks and personality, not that that’s a bad thing.

Last night’s episode flowed better than last season’s Battle Round, it’s like the fixed the issue just by making the show longer.

• wendeeloo says:

Blake’s choices also show that this is the part of the show where the judges get rid of the choices they regretted. So I think they know who they will choose, but they don’t count on their lesser choice to stand up to the challenge. I think Adley was the clear winner in that duo and it made Blake look bad.

• GMom says:

I definitely would have picked Adley over RaeLynn! RaeLynn’s voice is very whiney and weak. But I’m not a country fan so what do I know? I do wish they had given the guest coaches (Kelly Clarkson) a little more screen time. Surely they had more to say than they showed!

• Kara says:

I thought free falling was a very poor song choice by Blake for them to have to sing.

It is a great song, however, it is not a good choice to showcase someone’s singing abilities for a competition such as this.

I do realize that the mark of a good singer is to be able to take any song and lend it their own flair & style & make it special – no matter what the song. But this song was not sung well by either of the girls; their competition would of been more interesting with a wiser song choice.

This was not a good pairing either. RaeLynn & Adley Stump have completely different voice styles ; there is nothing at all similar enough for them to compete against one another. (except maybe Country genre)

Adley definitely had the strongest voice ; I think Rae Lynn struggled more with this song but neither one of them sang this song well.

By the way, a lot of the song choices were very poor.

The best song choice so far was Alicia Keys’ hit “If I Ain’t Got You.” This was awesome. Can you imagine these 2 guys, with their awesome vocal ranges and strengths, having to sing a song that does not allow those qualities to be showcased?

• TheBeach says:

I totally agree with this post. I do think the judges hear the live singing a bit differently we viewers do. Maybe he’ll realize his mistake when he watches it back on TV.

• Sara says:

I agree. I was not a fan of Adley at all to begin with, but she was really good on her performance, and clearly far better than RaeLynn, who was all over the place with her pitch. I try to convince myself that maybe mentors see things during rehearsal that can make up for a bad performance on stage, but this one really seemed like a bad choice to me.

• Kelly says:

Well, to be fair to Blake, the show isn’t about just The Voice – that’s only the premise of the blind auditions. After that, they’re looking for a lot of things: performance, ability to engage the crowd, charisma – and an ability to follow direction. The one thing I noticed, more than anything, is that the judges were more likely to pick the singer who actually seemed to listen and adapt to the advice that the judges gave. While I disagreed with most of the picks based on performance alone, when I looked at “actually listens to their mentors,” the choices the judges made seemed a lot easier to understand.

• Pylgrym says:

Thank you. I thought I might be the only 0 for 6 out there. Most I disagreed with and some I didn’t care.

• Joy says:

I had a lot of those “didn’t care” ones. It seems like these battles are really good at calling attention to *both* singers’ weaknesses. In a duet where the singers aren’t directly competing with each other, you can arrange it so each person’s contribution reflects what they do best, and they cover over each other’s limitations — but that would defeat the purpose here. So instead, the “compare and contrast” arrangements usually wind up leaving me less than entirely satisfied with either person. Pitchy vs. grating, drab color vs. limited range, no power vs. no connection… None of last night’s performances wound up being anything I actually wanted to download, which for me pretty much means the episode was a flop.

• somebody says:

Yes, but RaeLynn did nothing with the advice. She was tentative and off key at times. Adley took all the advice she was given exactly to heart. It wsa clear Blake wanted to get rid of her and wanted to work our tour with Rae or who knows what, looked and acted like his wife, but when Adley so utterly blew her out of the water, come on, you gotta change your mind, come on. Even RaeLynn clearly looked like she knew she was getting blown out of the water, after one of Adley’s solos RaeLynn almost stopped singing for a moment and just looked stunned and oh noooo.

• marie says:

Blake likes the small, wispy, “quirky” (but not in a good way) voices – he seems to just prefer that sound vs. someone with more vocal horsepower. I’d have chosen Adley.

• Sookie says:

I knew as soon as he and Miranda started talking about telling a story and not “competing” with the other singer that he would pick Rae Lyn.

• allie8 says:

as soon as Blake said RaeLynn reminded him of a younger Miranda Lambert I knew she was going to win – if not, he would have totally dissed his wife! I don’t love RaeLynn but the other girl wasn’t anything special either. I preferred her voice over RaeLynn’s but there was no “it factor” to it.

• Deena says:

Pefectly said! Plus the whole setup with Raelynn in the Kia with Miranda calling to wish her luck? They could have just skipped the actual singing. And I love Blake but it was so obvious.

• Eurydice says:

I think Blake made the best of a couple of bad choices. Adley’s voice is powerful but robotic – when she turned down the volume, it was like she actually turned the volume dial down. At least Raelynn seemed to understand that she was singing a song that was about someting and that was different from any other song she might have had to sing. I wouldn’t go so far as to call her a storyteller, but she did get that there was a story to tell.

• Selena says:

I really like Blake, however he is doing the same thing he did last season. He is putting up a person he really likes against another person he doesn’t like (or just not as much). And I believe all the ones he wants to advance are going to work with him and his wife rather than Kelly. And if that is true and I am going to lose all respect for him.

• Sookie says:

Well to be fair it is his choice. And he also works with both singers not just the one his wife works with.

• Pan says:

At this point, the judges are thinking “who is going to get votes.” and once the blind auditions are done it takes more than a voice to win any reality show. I think the Voice is still the best of the talent shows out there, but anyone thinking it’s just about their voices is delusional. If it were just a singing competition it would be on the radio. Adley may have had a better voice on that song, but I think RaeLynn would sell more records. She has a distinctness to her while Adley is talented, she doesn’t give anything special to her performances.

• somebody says:

Ugh RaeLynn over Adley was just awful. Even RaeLynn had an oh sht look on her face and almost seemed to give up for a few phrases after Adley just blew her away and her pitch issues became clear when she hit notes at the same time as Adley the clash between on key and off key was kinda fierce. So how can you pick RaeLynn were her whole body language spoke to I just got blown away and when Adley took all advice to heart and did every last thing they asked of her??

2. DaisyKary says:

Why why why would Adam put his two best male singers against each other????? As soon as I heard it would be Tony vs. Chris, I KNEW Tony won that one because the producers have been pushing Tony since day one! His Mickey Mouse Club gig with Christina, blah blah blah. Don’t get me wrong – I love Tony. I’ve seen him live a few times and he is amazing in person. But CHRIS CAULEY totally had that one! Tony couldn’t hit all the notes. Stupid Adam! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chris’ voice and have no doubt he’ll do just fine! #TeamCauley

• TheBeach says:

I thought exactly the same thing. If you are wanting your team to advance, wouldn’t you put your best singers up against your cannon fodder? I like Tony but I also thought Chris could have gone far in the competition and bringing a lot of strength to Adam’s team.

3. Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

“…the chick with the bespangled veggie steamer strapped to her head…” Slezak, you kill me!

4. Malcolm says:

Loves me some over-the-top Gospel-inflected holleration! That was great.
    To be honest I thought Tony was pretty mediocre while Chris was impressive in spots so I was a bit baffled that they chose Tony.
    The rest was a bore, except seeing Kelly Clarkson. That’s always fun.

• tenney says:

I also was baffled that Adam chose tony. I thought Chris was the clear winner. This choice as well as Cee Lo picking Cheesa over Angie had me saying “what?”

• Justin says:

I’m with you guys…I thought Tony really struggled in this. He was one of my favorites after the auditions, but to me, it sounded like he was really straining, especially on the higher notes.

5. Heather says:

I think the biggest LOSER in tonight’s battle was Adam’s fugly grandpa sweater, by far!

6. dan says:

I can see why Blake picked Raelynn, because she’s cute and has a lot of personality in her voice, but it was sad when her battle round vocals weren’t that great. He did the same thing last year, with the cowboy over the guy in the bow tie, who was way better.

I thought the overly trained opera guy came across as creepy, and Monique was way better. Disappointing episode.

7. betsy says:

I think Miranda told Blake to pick Rae Lynn, and that’s got to be why he did it – Adley was soooooo much better

• Elisabeth says:

I don’t think Adley was better. Sure, she was louder, but that doesn’t mean better. When they were together, she was definitely under the pitch. RaeLynn has a more unique voice that, although not powerful, was on pitch the entire song. Blake knows what he’s doing and definitely made the right choice.

• David says:

You weren’t listening to Raelynn very well then. She definitely had some pitchy moments. Personally, I think blake likes the ‘projects’. If he thinks he can do more with one than the other, that’s who he’ll take.

• Sharon says:

Most Bizarre Choice of the Night Award has to go to Blake keeping RaeLynn. The little girlwas off pitch for so much of that song that my molars were hurting from being ground together. But it’s hard not to notice that both of Miranda Lambert’s coachees were Blake’s picks. And I second the comment that Chris Mann sounded like Monique’s backup singer. I said exactly that to my husband. Several puzzling and disappointing outcomes on that show. BTW, the idea of keeping the judges “blind” for the battle round is a great one! And maybe not allowing one’s spouse to be a mentor??

• MAS says:

On pitch the entire song? When RaeLynn started she was far from pitch. My husband and I both grimmaced.

• somebody says:

Hmm I think you revered the names there.

8. kt says:

The Voice Battle Rounds: Otherwise known as that round you can easily predict by simply remembering who has received the most sreen time thus far, or who has gotten a more favorable edit from TPTB. This is easily the worst part of The Voice, because people who KILL in the battle rounds and deserve a place in the live shows get the boot, while 50% of duos with lackluster performances get through. It’s frustrating….

9. Deaf says:

I can’t begin to think why Adam chose two of his strongest team members to square off. And if we’re being honest, Chris outperformed and outsang Tony on that one. Tony was too busy glory-noting to connect with the song. Raelynn was horrid and the Cheesa-Angie battle was a tossup. I felt Angie was way too restrained for a power ballad while Cheesa was losing steam near the end. The two black dudes hurt my ear. Hated that.

10. Bella says:

I thought Chris was better than Tony and that Adley has more potential than RaeLynn.

• Sara says:

Totally agree with you. I don’t know if maybe Tony is a safest bet on the long run, but on that performance, Chris was a lot better.
      I also loved the last battle between Anthony and Jesse and would have been hard pressed to choose, except on personality alone, in which case I’d have gone for Anthony, but this would obviously be a bad criteria in the context.

11. marie says:

Haven’t read the full article yet – at work, sneaking a peek! – but right off the bat, I agree that some of the coaches’ choices seemed less than optimal: I’d have chosen Monique over (the rather oily and sterile if technically competent) Chris Mann; powerhouse Ashley over not-ready-yet Ray Lynn, no question; and most likely Angie over Cheesa and Chris Cauley over Tony.
    “The judges can think you’re the second-most-talented person from a group of 12 singers, and you can still wind up getting cut.” – YES! This is the most frustrating problem with the Battle Rounds. Good idea: I wish they could keep the Battle Rounds “blind,” but I wonder if that’s practical (probably isn’t).

12. Stumped! says:

Adley was SOOOOOOOO much better than RaeLynn. But as soon as there was a mention of how she reminded him of a young Miranda, it was game over. Sad, really. RaeLynn needs a lot of seasoning and growing up. Guess we’re going to see if all of Blake’s picks are the ones that were mentored by Miranda, if that’s the case, BORING! But thank goodness for Kelly Clarkson, she’s always awesome.

13. KD says:

I have no idea how Raelynn won over Adley unless it was the Miranda factor.
    Somebody please get Christina a stylist or atleast a mirror.

14. Johnny says:

In nearly every battle, I correctly chose the singer the mentor would pick, but preferred the one who lost. I thought Chris Cauley decimated Tony Lucca (as much as I liked Tony’s first audition); neither country girl was great, but Adley outsang RaeLynn easily; I preferred Angie personally to Cheesa, even though I did think Cheesa outsang Angie in this song; I liked Brian over Jordis, who seemed to have a bit of a bad attitude, but Jordis was clearly winning since we didn’t even see Brian’s blind audition; and I thought Anthony was more pop-relevant than Jesse (why do they always pair up the African-American men?).
    The only close one was Chris Mann and Monique Benabou; while I preferred Monique in this song, I’m interested to see what Chris will be able to do in the future.

15. Sara says:

Anyone else notice that Adam called all of the winners in the first night of battle rounds? Was it a fluke or are Blake, Cee Lo & Christina (subconsciously) deferring to last year’s winning coach?

• Amy says:

I didn’t notice that, but will check it out when I rewatch.

I was actually wondering if the third coach to weigh in is contractually obligated to pick contestent B if the previous two have picked contestant A. I did notice that pattern.

16. EddieZ says:

I find it funny that people think that there are certain contestants that are spotlighted more than others and that it shows some sort of favoritism. For example, Tony Lucca has gotten more screen time than Chris. Hello?!!?? Does no one realize that the shows up till now are all pre-taped. Last night was not live. So, since the Blind Auditions and the Battle Rounds are taped, it makes sense for the editors to show you more about the people that are going to continue on versus the ones that will not make it to the live shows. Or did no one notice that the judges wore the same clothes for 5 weeks?

• Joy says:

No, we get that. The complaint is that the production of the audition rounds undercuts the suspense they then try to inject into these matchups, because they’ve already told us who turned out to be a serious contender.

17. Karen says:

My picks in the battle rounds: Angie, RaeLynn, Jordis, Jesse, Tony. In the Monique vs. Chris match-up, I pick nobody. That was horrid!

18. WTF says:

WTF were those judges smoking? The only decision I agreed with was picking Jordis (that dude made that really easy for her to win)…otherwise, everyone else lost their minds…Chris was WAY better than Tony…Angie was WAY better than Chessa at the end…How Adley did not make it to the next round over that pitchy as hell Raelyn is a mystery that truly baffles me!

I think the judges need to be in a separate room to be able to hear these performances for what they are…because at this point, their credibility for hearing talent is so off, it scares me.

• Dee S says:

DITTO everything you posted!!!! I’m done watching.

• Jessia says:

Thank you for this post! I agree with everything you just said!!! I thought I was going crazy because I picked the opposite from the judges on almost all performances (only one I chose “correctly” was jordis). I am glad to see that the majority share the same opinions though!! I am baffled at the fact that Adley or Chris did not make it to the next round. These judges clearly were not watching or listening to the same performances I was.

• Stephanie says:

I honestly wonder if each judge has their 1 favorite in all the 12, the one they want to win, then match them up and kick all the other good ones off, the ones that could potentially gather more votes for their favorites. It’s an interesting thought, and one that probably only can explain why they choose who they did.

• SMH says:

It’s definitely not about “the voice” in the battle rounds, is it?

• somebody says:

A real shame because I had turned to The Voice to get away from the ridiculousness of Randy/Jlo/Nigel only to have such things like RaeLynn over Adley which was as bad as anything on Idol……

19. Ellie says:

From what I have seen, Blake is just not fond of power singing. He goes more for the light and airy style.

20. Jana says:

It’s difficult to imagine that the coaches don’t have their minds made up about who to cut before the actual battle happens. First of all, they have to go back and analyze their teams and decide who to put together in the battles, knowing they’re going to have to cut their teams in half. Then they work with them for a few days on the songs, thus being able to take into account the contestants’ attitudes and personalities. It seems to me they should have a really good idea of their favorites after that. My guess is that they know who they want to pick, and they aren’t changing their minds unless the frontrunners are really terrible, or the underdogs absolutely blow their minds. But it would be nice if they’d openly agree to keeping an open mind until the battle has actually happened.

• Joy says:

That makes a lot of sense, but I also think that if I were a coach, it would be really easy to stay in denial about having to choose until the very last moment — genuinely rooting for each of them to blow it away, and just kind of avoiding thinking about the whole choosing part. On the other hand, that approach doesn’t necessarily lay the groundwork for good decision-making either… :-)

21. ATLgroove says:

I may be bias and want Jordis to win the entire thing, but I also felt her first verse of “Ironic” was the best part of the battle. I also feel as if Jordis will only shine if Blake isn’t picking the song. “Ironic” was too emotionally passive-aggressive for either rocker.

• Justin says:

I’m not huge on Jordis, but I do agree with you. The opening verse sounded really good. It’s just too bad the wheels came off after that point.

22. lisa says:

slezak- have you considered an “Idology”-like video for the Voice. AI is so over, and the voice would be great for this!

• StorytellerGal says:

yes please do!

• Aaron says:

Because it’s that easy to just slap together a review video… everyone complained that the Idology videos weren’t long enough, and now you want one for The Voice?

• Tuzo says:

Well, it doesn’t hurt to ask. Also, I would think that Slezak would be flattered to know how people like his work and would like to see more of it. Doesn’t mean it will happen but I would watch another Slezak video — even if it was only Weekly Idology Part II. (Seriously, someone make this happen!) :)

23. allie8 says:

I love Jordis – she was amazing on Rock Star and she could be so fantastic on The Voice. But she has me worried – is she choking already? I hope she comes to her senses quickly because this is hers to lose!

24. StorytellerGal says:

Jesse vs. Anthony – hands down the best of the night. Forget the competition, those 2 should become a duo and hit the road now.

I love this show so much more than Idol because the coaches really seem to be invested in helping these singers. They feel sincere (well 3 of the 4 do at least) in their desire to guide and mentor – unlike Idol where they sit back on an ivory throne and toss of banal feedback like “in it to win it” (yes I’m talking to you Randy Jackson).

• seattlejohn449 says:

totally agree with you…if it was up to me I would nominate their battle-round for a year-end Emmy award for best musical performance and these guys could be great if they did a record or tour together…electrifying

25. Ryan says:

The barn that the Shelton/Lamberts were in seemed to resemble the barn on the Walking Dead where all the zombies are kept.

26. Leah says:

I don’t watch the voice, but I LOVE JORDIS!!!

• Stephanie says:

I am only watching The Voice because of Jordis. If she gets kicked off, that’s the last show I’m watching.

27. Ruby says:

I really hate this section of the show. I wish they’d just announce the pairings and let them go, rather than all the behind the scenes, airing insecurities bits. I really could care less about that stuff, and it just makes me irritated. I liked Jordis going into this, but all of the crying and crap made me want to kick her. Just…appreciate the opportunity, cut out all of the weepy bullcrap and SING for crying out loud. Act like a professional. Blake chose RaeLynn because he has a thing for girls with whispery baby-doll voices. Half the people he chose for his team sound just like Dia Frampton. CeeLo has the best team this year.

28. Jaime says:

I wish people would stop whining about Blake picking RaeLynn over Adley. Let’s be honest, Blake didn’t really want Adley that much originally and only turned his chair around because Christina was going to.

29. Amy says:

I thought Adley outsang RaeLynn in the battle round, but I think RL has more stage presence and persona—which I assume will be more important as the competition continues (I didn’t watch last season).

A recurring theme for me for this Battle Round was that the stronger singer in the battle wasn’t the stronger overall package–most notably Adley and RaeLynn, but also Tony and Chris; and Chris & Monique. OperaChris is definitely better than Monique, even though that “duet” was terrible.

Part of the blah factor is due to the song choices. “Ironic” is not a rock song! Terrible choice for Brian and Jordis! Which producer forcefed that to Blake and his team?

30. Amanda says:

I may be in the minority, but the Chris-Monique duet was my favorite of the night. I guess I really like big, powerful voices. I was sad that these two were pitted against each other, as it would’ve been great to see them both continue in the competition, but I agreed with XTina’s choice to keep Chris. He reminds me of Josh Groban and Andrea Boccelli, and it would be nice to have more singers in that vain, since the radio is already full of rockers and R&B singers. I also can’t believe Blake chose RaeLynn–she was off pitch and screechy most of the song. Comparing her to Miranda Lambert is a big insult to Miranda, who has a lovely voice.

• Tuzo says:

I’m not going to argue Chris’s training but for me (for you) his voice is just not that pleasant to listen to. Something about the tone that I can’t put my finger on.

• TR says:

Agree on you about Chris Mann. He sounds horrible from the get-go(blind auditions), rough and strained for a “classically trained vocalist” where I thought precision is a must. The texture of his voice is just not altogether smooth and solid(ok, I dont really speak vocals but I think I know a good voice when I hear one). His voice sounds so forced.
        I wish the format for battle rounds would be putting up all duets against each other, ranking them via public voting or whatever and sending home the weaker duets/battles. If they had it this way then RaeLynn and Adley would be gone, while Anthony and Jesse both proceed to live shows.

31. Aileen says:

I am very disappointed in Cee Lo for choosing Chessa verus Angie. What was he thinking? Chessa seems to rub me the wrong way. I was hoping Cee Lo was going to choose Angie. She was a lot better singer.

32. John says:

To me, there were a couple of matchups that could have gone the other way, but I think they mainly got it right. Blake seems to have a weakness for the teen girls and not crushing their dreams, so I wasn’t surprised he went for RaeLynn over Adley. I’m not a Jesse fan at all, but the guy has mad vocal chops. The only decision I really disagreed with was Chris, who I want to like but sounded like an annoying Pavarotti to me.

33. marie says:

Side note: Can we please retire “The Power of Love” from ALL TV singing competitions? Please? Thank you. What a ball of cheese that song is!

34. Heather says:

These are pretty bad reviews that imo don’t give you an idea of how good or bad these singers actually did. “Ironic” was a horrible performance, It’s a hard song to sing but wow it was bad. Wasn’t impressed by Blakes mini Miranda but had a feeling he would pick her just because of that. I thought Christinas team were the best of the night by far. And Cee Lo seems to give the least amount of advice

35. GMom says:

Even though I like Adam, he lost me LAST year when he didn’t pick Rebecca Loebe. She is an awesome singer. I quit watching after that.

36. NoreenR says:

It’s clear from last night that judges were picking who they liked best overall, and not based on last night’s performance. I don’t know if that’s fair or not, but that’s what they were doing.

37. Dman says:

Obviously…… the judges have seen something, we the audience have not been privvy too. I was flabbergasted by some of the choices that were made based on the battle alone. Ultimately we are talking about someone jumping on the corporate entertainment treadmill and selling a product, but based on the battle I wouldn’t spend a wooden nickel on Rae-Lyn or Chessa, horrid performances.

38. L says:

I think the judges made bad calls as far as song choice for most of the contestants. None of the choices were good fits for the contestants, with the exception of the gospel duo.

Love Tony Lucca and Jordis Unga – based on past performances by her on INXS Rock Star I think she deserves a spot, some of the other choices were questionable in my opinion.

Do love the show though and I second the person who wants Michael to do an Idology type show. I don’t even watch Idol anymore but I watch Idology every week.

39. PixTweak says:

There where at least 3 moments where it became clear some outcomes where pre-planned. Either producers made the choice or some of the judges or producers have some sort of connection, agreement or favor to the contestants.

The biggest one
    • RaeLynn d. Adley Stump – Before they went off to sing they show RaeLynn “getting to the show” in what is clearly a tv spot for Fiat.

• Tony Lucca d. Chris Cauley – Obvious connection to Mickey Mouse club. Chris was way better.

• Chris Mann. d. Monique Benabou – Christina could not hide the fact she was forced to pick Chris who clearly had a terrible performance. It’s all in the eyes as she says his name.

With these shows, there’s always agents involved, favors to call in, producers who want to make a better show so they pick characters with better story lines. They throw in a couple of newbies into the mix but they pretty much have their eye on who they want to win and they will try to dictate through editing and screen time.

40. MW says:

I liked Anthony more than Jesse, which I know is not a popular opinion. Jesse obviously has an amazing voice, but his cocky-as-hell attitude is annoying. Anthony exudes emotion when he sings and he has a great voice to back it up. He seems more genuine and that goes a long way for me. I would have been pulling for Anthony throughout the competition had he moved on.

I do not like Adley. She may be able to belt a song, but there isn’t an ounce of emotion behind it. I agree with Blake’s choice; RaeLynn will ultimately be a better choice regardless of how she performed a song clearly not meant for her to sing.

I didn’t much like Cheesa or Angie, but Angie had the better voice to me. As for Chris and Monique: meh. They both had issues but I certainly would have gone with Monique. Jordis was better than Brian, so there’s one that I agree with.

I’ve been a fan of Tony Lucca’s for a long time. I saw him perform about ten years ago and I still listen to the EP I bought that night. I’ll be pulling for him until the end. Chris has a good voice, but again, there was a falseness to his performance that prevented me from enjoying it.

41. Christina says:

I thought it was super smart of Blake to pick the younger and worst out of tune country singer so he and his wife knows they won’t get any competition.

42. Peeps says:

Who wrote this review?

For starters, Tony Lucca looked like he was getting an arm cut off while singing those “high” notes, if this reviewer thinks he is the most promising I have a bridge to sell hiim, lol.

Id you liked the way Jesse sang Baby then you must have missed how RaeLynn sang Horse to start the song. She turned it into 8 syllables.

Jordis, please please stop with the plan B stuff, this must be plan F or Plan G by now. I love how you sing but every one of these singers needs to win the show, do you think Tony Lucca isn’t as worried as you are? BTW that song they picked for you Ironic was ridiculous, nobody can make that song sound good. It was a trainwreck before the train wrecked.

Also Chris Cauley got robbed on this show, he sang clearer and hit more notes than Tony. If Tony hadn’t been a mouseketeer I think he would be gone.

Chris Mann did decent to win his song, not sure what this reviewer heard. He is a bit stiff and you can tell you is not adding emotion to his singing. He has a strange accent when singing too, like he is from Bulgaria I think.

• ATLgroove says:

I feel as if Jordis (as well as the other contestants) say a lot more in their interview packages than what is shown on air. I suspect the producers (based on the knowledge that she was on another reality competition) just zoned in on her Plan B comments and decided that will be her “storyline” for her time on the Voice.

43. Katy B. says:

I disagreed with the coaches more times than not, especially on Tony -vs- Chris – totally would have picked Chris, red pants & all. Liked Brian’s version better than Jordis’s. And definitely would have kept Monique Benabou over Opera Man. But I guess they’re the professionals. I’m only a consumer what do I know.

44. AT says:

Personally I agreed with most of these choices. Especially Tony. I thought Chris was great, but at the end of the day I’d still always pick Tony. It’s too bad they couldn’t keep both of them. Especially since there were singers just not as good as the both of them. Same with Anthony. That was a tough call. I do think Angie should have been picked over Cheesa. She’s just more likeable. Certainly that should be a factor in a performance where they both came out just about equal vocally wise. That all said, I think some of the comments on here are a bit harsh.

45. Deena says:

Just adding to the Chris Cauley cause. I had to pause the show & try to process what happened because he nailed the song. His voice was so much richer, fuller, and had more emotion.

I REALLY wanted Christina to pick Anthony. I just don’t care for Jesse’s voice & I though Anthony did a fantastic job. I liked him from his audition. I understand why Jesse went through but I wish there was a way Anthony could have moved on.

46. JB says:

For those that don’t see why RaeLynn won you must not listen to Country music. Adley had no twang while RaeLynn was a twang and a half.

There have been many country legends that were not powerful singers, that is what Blake is referring to. He is looking for a country singer that sounds country after all, and only RaeLynn sounded country on that song.

She made that song country if you liked her or not, and Adley gave the typical Karaoke version.

I have a feeling with the home voting sessions many tweens will vote for her and she may do well in the show. I would not underestimate her as a contestant, she seems very genuine and not pressed like some others.

47. Anna says:

I’m really upset that Jesse won over Anthony. I think Anthony has a lot more talent and Jesse was waaaay over-cocky for my taste. I liked Adley and Angie better in their pairings and I thought that Jordis v Brian was painful.

48. Isabelle says:

I’m living for Chris Mann, his voice makes me happy, I love that he pushes it and doesnt hold back, like he said during the audition he’s always had to shrink his voice and he shouldn’t he’s amazing. Monica was great to, I thought the duet was perfectly made, Christina did great with it. Jesse and Anthony was wow too, I think Christina is a great judge and puts together a production.

I thought Chris C should’ve won against Tony. And Adley shouldn’t won too.

49. Davey says:

I wish they had gotten rid of Jordis and Brian and asked Chris to return in their place. Chris actually sang better than Tony, who I like. But it was predetermined that Tony would be picked so there was no suspense.

I really don’t like Jesse at all. He can keep doing his showy singing I would never vote for him.

50. Dee says:

Here is my idea..have a fifth team of the ones kicked off. I bet they would do better than the ones saved. I was beginning to think that I wasn’t hearing the same thing as the judges because almost everyone I thought should win, didn’t. Thanks everyone for restoring my faith in what I heard. This was my first year listening to the voice. Not sure that I will continue wasting my time.

• Joy says:

I still want a “wild card,” where each judge can add a few of their favorites from among the other judges’ eliminees to their own teams. That way, if a judge makes a bad call, the competition doesn’t just lose a good singer — instead, they get snatched up by your rivals, so if you goof, you have the added risk that someone else will come back and win with the contestant you discarded…