Ratings: NBC Has a Smashing Night Opposite Many Repeats, Alcatraz Steady

With CBS (and, yes, The CW) in repeat mode this Monday, NBC’s The Voice, with 16.7 million total viewers and a 6.1 demo rating, soared 13 percent week-to-week to deliver its best numbers since Season 2’s Monday time slot premiere.

Versus Season 1’s fifth telecast, The Voice is up 96 and 61 percent, respectively.

That teed up Smash to surge 17 percent week-to-week and deliver three-week highs of 7.9 million and 2.7, opposite Hawaii Five-0 and Castle reruns. NBC points out that the musical drama has (faint praise alert) given the network its five highest 18-49 ratings in the Mondays-at-10 spot since September 20, 2010.

All told, NBC dominated the Monday demos with an average of 4.9, besting No. 2 ABC (2.1) by more than double.

Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Pick Your Battles

Of the night’s precious little other fresh network fare, Fox’s double bill of Alcatraz averaged 5.7 million total viewers and a 1.8 demo rating, slipping 6 percent in audience but flat with the freshman drama’s previous outing. ABC’s The Bachelor: The Women Tell All drew 8.1 mil and a 2.5, dipping a tenth in the demo week-to-week.

Terra Nova Cancelled By Fox, Series Being Shopped Around to Other Networks

What were you watching this Monday night?

1. kirads09 says:

Please keep Alcatraz holding steady at least. I would be so sad if this were also cancelled. It was great last night.

2. ScrubsGuy says:

I’d be ok if cancelling Terra Nova, Alcatraz and House kept Fringe on for another year. Just sayin’.

3. kevin says:

The Voice still rocks and the battle rounds got me hooked. The Anthony vs. Jesse showdown was truly EPIC. :)

4. Titina says:

YAY! I am so happy for SMASH!
    That such GREAT NEWS for the show! NBC should totally announce its renewal soon.
    The show is gaining steam now and I am really enjoying it.
    Go Smash!

• Danielle H says:

Yahoo! recently included it in it’s list of 10 shows that are near cancellation but still should be given a chance. While I don’t quit agree with that, it’s renewal is not a lock.
      Albeit, I’m dying to have it renewed because I ADORE it.

• Matt says:

I would say renewal isn’t a lock yet. I just know TV Line is obsessed with Smash and Glee so I am seeing past their obvious bias.

It did well against repeats. That’s it. See what numbers it generates when it goes up against fresh competition.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The very headline itself and mentions throughout the article denote the decrease in competition for NBC this week; your claim of bias is unfounded.

• Dan says:

But TVLine is obsessed with smash and glee as the poster stated, and that is the bias they refer to. Not a bias for or against the show, but in covering the shows.

Those and American idol, dominate the headings at TVLine. Day after day. While I can possibly understand covering American idol because of its popularity shown in the ratings, and the sites goal is to beng in readers, that same argue can’t be used for the handful of other shows that so dominate this site, like glee and as of Late smash, where the ratings aren’t there to justify that level of coverage, assuming that is why American idol gets so much coverage.

If somebody breathes, those shows get massive coverage for every breathe they take.

• Alan says:

In total agreement, come on NBC and pick up this hottie for a 2nd season. This is TV at its best.

5. Sue says:

Enjoy the ratings boost while it last NBC, once CBS and ABC come back with all new episodes. Say Adios to higher ratings.

6. Katt says:

If they got rid of some of the story lines and Katharine McPhee, SMASH might even make it……in and of itself, it is a horrible, horrible show…….The Voice and the fact that other networks had on reruns is no reason to praise its surge…..it stinks!

• B says:

I only watch for Katharine McPhee and Debra Messing. I know a couple of other people who also only tune in for Kat. Everyone might not like her, but I assume that a good number of people would tune out if she were to leave the show. We’re not all Team Ivy. Even my mom called to tell me how she can’t stand Meg Hilty.

• Jess says:

i like Kat too! was never an idol watcher when she was on, but just with a fresh eye, i like her character in this show. I’m loving smash, so here’s hoping for at least another season!

And yes, i’m totally with Slezak. Are the tickets for the actual Marilyn show on broadway on sale yet!?!? I’m pumped up after yesterday’s “i’m bad” scene/song.

7. Janet says:

Hooray for Smash!

8. Jules says:

C’mon! That was easy without real competition (repeats on CBS) they went up a bit..but was boring anyway..stop watching after 10min..

As for Alcatraz, was a bit too long first … But enjoyable…and without [H]ouse leading @ 8
    I was kind of pissed off already and not very in the mood watching JGarcia doing such a bad acting/supposely stunt fall…terrible!!
    So was a bit surprise to saw their ratings..
    I mean c’mon, was crushed by the stupid Bachelor and the Voice…Beurk!
    Reality TV is killing, ALL good Drama’s & comedies!!

9. Ozzer says:

Beh, Smash. Hype hype hype. Just not my cuppa tea. Not watching it and no one can make me :p.

Can’t wait for Castle to have new eps again. Even the rerun was fun.

Was indifferent to Alcatraz for a long time, but in the face of reality teevee and the next hot band wagon of musical glee-esque dramz, I hope it makes it. Especially if Fringe goes down.

Dear networks: We need variety, not band-wagons.

(That goes for vampires & fairy tales and such too).

10. Renee says:

Terra Nova’s ratings were better. Just saying.

11. Pam says:

I have 6, now 8, episodes of Alcatraz to watch. The procedural part of was so boring. I did not care for the female lead. Only Jorge Garcia and the mythology kept me mildly interested but I cannot imagine having to watching 8 episodes. Ugh. So I will be deleting it tonight.

12. dlferriola says:

The Voice battle rounds were great last nite. I love

13. sarah says:

I like Smash. I think it has staying power. However if H50 is new then I PVR Smash. I was able to watch it last night however as H50 was a repeat

14. intelliwoman says:

SMASH was good for about 2 episodes, now its just more preicatable crap. Alcatraz rocks

15. dlferriola says:

I love Smash and hope it gets renewed because it is something different. I am getting an education about what it takes to put a show on Broadway. The acting is great as is the singing. I rewatch it just for the musical numbers.

16. Kat says:

Love Alcatraz. These days I hate watching new programs because 9 out of 10 times the networks don’t give them a fighting chance. Tera Nova wasn’t great but it was fun entertainment and will miss it…especially the gorgeous Jason O’Mara. Will someone PLEASE give this man a steady job? How about putting him on Southland, or make him the next villian on Justified???

17. Fernando says:

Yay for Smash, it keeps getting better

18. jennifer says:

Fringe MUST stay on the air! Terra Nova gone-o.k. If Alcatraz and/or the Finder are/is cancelled and that helps the chances of Fringe being renewed-I’m good. Seriously,Fringe is on a level beyond other shows. John Noble all by his lonesome could run circles (in terms of acting) around the actors on Terra Nova. I can’t imagine ANYONE else playing Peter’s father-it’s as if he was born to play that role. And,of course Walternet-the guy is truly an amazing actor. Anyone who watches Fringe on a regular basis( as I do) would see all of the nuance of his performance. John Noble deserves (not only to be nominated)but,to also win an Emmy. Thank you.

19. TLG says:

Gonna be a LOT of new shows on Fox next season….

20. Mitch says:

Alcatraz deserves a better fate than terra nova. Hoping fox reups for a second season

21. Agent52 says:

Hey! NBC Bring back Chuck on Monday nights!

22. Steph says:

Smash is such a good show and it keeps getting better each week. I hope it sticks around.

23. Dan says:

Samsh raised its ratings ona slow night, Alcatraz lost a tiny bit, I’d say that puts the nail in the coffin for Alcatraz.

24. Zoe says:

The “I am bad” song was amazing!! So was Kat’s version of “it’s a man’s world”. I dont get how anyone could call it a bad show. I am absolutely hooked, but I do have my degree in theatre, so maybe I am a little biased. But then again I care nothing about Glee.