Comedy Awards Nominations: Parks and Rec, Happy Endings Get Some Love

The oft-overlooked Parks and Recreation and relative newbie Happy Endings muscled their way through the crowd of usual suspects to score major nominations for the second annual The Comedy Awards, to be held April 28 and then air May 6 on Comedy Central.

As typical, Modern Family and 30 Rock led the pack with five nominations each, including for Best Series, Directing and Writing, while Curb Your Enthusiasm collected four nods.

Parks and Rec, though, landed in three races, including Best Actress (for Amy Poehler). Happy Endings, meanwhile, drew a single yet significant nod, for Best Series.

Here’s the complete rundown of TV nominees:

Comedy Series
30 Rock
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Happy Endings
Modern Family (2011 winner)
Parks and Recreation

Writing – TV
30 Rock (2011 winner)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Modern Family
Parks and Recreation
Saturday Night Live

Directing – TV
30 Rock
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Modern Family (2011 winner)
The Office

Performance by an Actor
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (2011 winner)
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Louis C.K., Louie
Steve Carell, The Office
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm

Performance by an Actress
Zooey Deschanel, New Girl
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live (2011 winner)
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family

Animated Comedy Series
Family Guy
The Life & Times of Tim
The Simpsons
South Park (2011 winner)

Late-Night Comedy Series
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (2011 winner)
Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
Late Show with David Letterman
Real Time with Bill Maher

Sketch/Alternative Comedy Series
Childrens Hospital (2011 winner)
Saturday Night Live

Comedy Special of the Year
Louis C.K.: Live at the Beacon Theater
Norm Macdonald: Me Doing Standup
Patton Oswalt Finest Hour
Colin Quinn Long Story Short
Daniel Tosh: Happy Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Ari says:

If Parks & Rec doesn’t win something I’m going to sic Champion on someone.

2. Alienate says:

I’m kinda bummed that New Girl only got 1 nod.
    Funny show.

3. Volcfom says:

No love for Conan this year? Sad face…

4. dani says:

I can’t believe how everyone overlooks Community. Not one single nomination ever.

• Juan says:

even for comedy awards, the funniest show on V still gets snubbed

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Well, Donald Glover did get nommed for Breakout Performer, but that encompasses all media (e.g. standup, movies) and not just TV.

• godzilla's_foil says:

That’s just too little. How can they even think of best writing, ensemble and overall comedy series and not see Community going strong right there? I call some sorta of embargo, there’s no other explanation.

• David says:

The episode Remedial Chaos Theory alone should have gotten Community some nods for something. O well its just going to be one of those shows that the voters don’t “get” since it does not play it safe. I love a lot of the comedies on here…but would have helped Community with its renewal bid if it had some nods.

• Mike says:

Or people just don’t find it funny, funny is subjective you know.

• Brendan says:

Usually funny is subjective, but clearly you haven’t watched Community.

• RecceR says:

Community actually is both extremely hilarious and intelligent, something all the other comedies on broadcast (besides a few) lack with that combo. You clearly don’t know what funny is and considering SNL and 30 Rock are nominated, Comedy Central doesn’t seem to know “funny” either. Those old dead horses are already glue, but NBC keeps them going.

• Angela says:

I know! I’m mystified by that, too. Stuff like this could help the show get a wider audience, I’d think.

5. lee says:

Where is the nom for Community!? Low blow “comedy” awards.

6. Sandra says:

Parks and Recreation for all the awards! It’s also such a shame that Nick Offerman isn’t nominated in the performance by an actor category.

All of the nominees are really good. However, as much as I love Modern Family and 30 Rock, it would be nice seeing another show win SOMETHING.

7. juli says:

They should add awards for Best Supporting Actor and Actress

8. Amanda Leigh says:

Seriously? No Community? It’s so much better than all of these things…

9. Justin says:

I’m very happy for Parks and Recreation and Happy Endings getting some love. Of course, Modern Family definitely deserves some love,too. Three of my favorite comedies up for awards?! Wooo-hooo!

10. juan says:

Very happy about Happy Endings getting nominated, if only Cougar town would have been nominated for anything I would have loved these awards

• Maggie says:

if adding this category would get some love for any of the happy endings gang, esp eliza coupe & damon wayans, then i’m all for it!

11. Tenney says:

For comeday series, I would replace 30 Rock with either Community or Cougar Town.

12. sole says:

No Cougar Town. :(

13. greatdane says:

how did steve carrell (left in 2010-2011 season) get nominated for the office and zooey deschanel (started in 2011-2012 season) get nominated at the same time?

• Little Scarf Girl says:

That is a puzzler…unless it’s just for the 2011 year in general. (Which I guess would include the back half of last season and the first half of this season.)

14. austen. says:

15. Wolfie says:

Finally, Archer is getting some awards love. Easily the funniest show on TV, after Cougar Town of course.

16. Carmichael says:

Yeah, add my voice to the outrage that there’s no Community on this list anywhere. As for the suggestion that there be a supporting actor/actress, I’m against it because like the emmys it would just get dominated by the less funny office clone Modern Family.

• Brad says:

MF is nothing like the office and far funnier than Community

• RecceR says:

While I do agree that Modern Family is not like The Office at all, besides them both being filmed in the mockumentary style, I don’t find it funnier than Community. MF plays it safe and most of the storylines can be found in shows that inspired it like Married with Children and The Brady Bunch, but with a modern take (hence the name). I’m not bashing MF, I really like it, it has some clever and funny moments, and I even hope it goes on for several more seasons. However, I enjoy Community much more because they have intelligence behind their humor, have a original storylines, and don’t play things safe.

17. Jake says:

Ok, Commmunity is amazing but fans need to stop acting like its the only great show on tv, there are tons of great shows on the air.

18. DL says:

Glad to see Happy Endings got a nomination, although I’d really love to have seen Damon Wayans, Jr., Eliza Coupe, or Adam Pally get a nod as well. Those three really make the show for me.

Also, SNL got nominated for writing? I mean, yeah, the season has been on a quality upswing (except for the recent Lohan episode), but it’s still nowhere near its former glory.

19. Liza180 says:

I absolutely love Happy Endings and Parks and Rec. I hope they both win. Sick of Alec Baldwin, Larry David, Steve Carrell. They’re not that funny. I really hope Portlandia gets a win. That show is hilarious and ten times better than SNL.

20. Oaky says:

Love love Happy Endings! But no Big Bang Theory? New Girl is terrible.

21. Farsia2010 says:

what about Glee?? not even one nomination??
    And what about supporting roles?? no nominations there at all?

22. godzilla's_foil says:

While it’s nice to see some recognition for the good, somewhat low-profile Happy Endings, it’s just inconceivable that a comedy awards that wants to be taken seriously and to create any momentum gets any nominations for Sofia Vergara. I mean, she is stunning, but represents just the opposite of any sort of acting, and mostly acting funny. And not only that: on the other hand, it doesn’t show any love for the best comedy currently on television, which is clearly the case of Community. Donald Glover is probably being nominated because of his Childish Gambino thing, as “Breakout Performer”. How can we take this as an honest representation for the current state of comedy??

• godzilla's_foil says:

What I mean is, we’re not talking about “a good series”. Happy Endings, The Big Bang Theory, Archer, Parks and Rec, those are good, sometimes really good series that deserve nominations, audience and praise. (BTW, it’s still nice that abominations such as 2 Broke Girls don’t get anything. At least that!). No, we’re talking about the best one, objectively speaking, the best writing and ensemble — and it doesn’t even get a nod at a very specific awards? Something is going on in the background, either against Dan Harmon or Chevy Chase or McHale, I don’t know.

• M says:

Because it is, clearly the best comedy is Modern Family.

23. fernando says:

Comedy Series should go to Happy Endings and Writing and Directing needs to go to Modern Family.

Ty Burrell needs to win best actor for Modern Family and Sofia Vergara for actress.

And South Park needs to win again this year.

24. Rich says:

@CraigyFerg snubbed again! Also, no Community? Now I’m really crying.

25. Doug says:

30 Rock is well past it’s prime, and Curb isn’t very good. Haven’t seen enough of Happy Endings to have an opinion on it. Community needs to be on there with Big Bang Theory.

26. Fabe says:

I’m sad that Community did not get nominated, but am super happy that Parks and Recreation and Happy Endings did! Now if only Casey Wilson and Elisha Cuthbert could get some nods for their acting as well! Along with Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs!

27. Kwell says:

Very happy to see Happy Endings finally get recognized for being one of the funniest things on tv right now, I don’t when it happened but all of a sudden it got so good and now makes me laugh more than just about anything else. It’s a shame more people aren’t watching it, it really deserves to be as huge a hit as Modern Family is.

28. Jess says:

as much as I love P&R and Happy Endings and hope they win, where’s the Big Bang Theory and Jim Parsons?! >_>

29. Gwen says:

Who votes for these awards, anyway? No “Big Bang Theory”???

30. josh says:

sorry cant take these seriously as Kristen Wiig won for SNL… which hasn’t been a decent show in over five years and Wiig has been tirelessly repeating the same characters week in and week out for at least 3 seasons.

31. Tom says:

Hey Community fans, before you start on your America loves crap rant,why do you get to decide what crap is?

• Brendan says:

We never called the other shows crap. HIMYM, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, The Office, and 30 Rock are all good shows, and all worth watching. I haven’t watched Happy Endings yet, but I’ve heard good things and it’s on my to-do list, so I’ll include that in the list. Community is just simply BETTER.

32. No way Happy Endings and New Girl should receive nominations over Community and Cougar Town.

33. Tami says:

When will Bill Hader ever be recognized for his work on SNL? He is by far the most talented and most funny cast member. Kristen Wiig relies on weird characters and overacting.

34. Guy says:

No Big Bang Theory? Well that sucks. Typical really.

35. Nancy says:

HOW did both Community and Cougar Town not get nominated? Why don’t these shows ever get any love? They deserve it.

36. dot says:

So glad love parks and rec its just a shame nick offerman (Ron) keeps getting over looked my these award shows bt I love Amy GO AMY!

37. Sandy says:

No Big Bang Theory?? Come on¡¡ must be a “joke”

38. Mike says:

Yay Happy Endings! Hope it can get some Emmy love.

39. Chad O. says:

Norm Macdonald truly deserves the stand up special award. His comedy and delivery is completely unique and original.

40. Jakes says:

Happy Ending is awful. WTF are you people talking about.