Terra Nova Cancelled By Fox, Series Being Shopped Around to Other Networks

Terra Nova CancelledDinosaurs are headed back onto TV’s endangered species list.

Fox has pulled the plug on its pricey prehistoric drama Terra Nova after one moderately rated season, TVLine has learned.

The show is currently being shopped around to other networks by 20th Century Fox Television.

“Bad news guys, Terra Nova has been cancelled by Fox,” leading man Jason O’Mara tweeted late Monday. “We’re gonna try and get another network to do it. Stand by.”

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news. Post your eulogies in the comments.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News

1. tabularasa says:

Feel sorry for the fans, but the show was a let down IMO. I hope in someway that this frees up some money for Fox to renew Fringe and Alcatraz.

2. Melinda says:

NOOOOOOO!!!!! So Bummed!!!

3. Benjamin says:

Couldn’t care less about the death of Terra Nova. I just hope that FOX has the common sense to renew “The Finder” for a Second Season, people give it a bad wrap because its a spin-off.

4. Marc says:

Fox screwed this one up, just as they did cancelling Chicago Code last year.

5. Brooke M says:

Sorry to hear this for all the people who enjoy the show but I stopped watching after the third episode. Really expensive crapfest. It had some real potential but they just didn’t carry it off, in my opinion.

6. Michelle Mosing says:

This is so not right! Why does Fox cancel shows that has real entertainment value. It seems that all the shows enjoyed by South African audiences are cancelled first Human Target now Terra Nova! Give it a chance?

7. Alexandra says:

First firefly and now this. Why?!?! :(

8. cj says:

the show was entertaining enough, that’s too bad, but i’m not terribly surprised. interestingly, in terms of production quality, i would put Terra Nova on par with Once Up A Time, so what exactly makes one more watchable than the other shall remain strictly subjective for the time being.

• Justin says:

Terra Nova and Once Upon a Time are really the only shows I can sit and watch with my kids. Fox really does not have any other family friendly shows. I am not going to watch their cartoons as those are not appropriate for young children.

Thanks Fox…I guess just one family friendly show was a bit too much for you.

9. Guy says:

Devastated. This series was about to lift off and stupid FOX cancel it. I am over it. Its one thing to cancel House but to cancel Terra Nova? Not happy FOX! Please NBC or even cable pick it up. I want to know what happens next.

10. AngelMoonGirl says:

I’m actually glad, because this *might* be good news for Fringe!!!

11. angelstorm says:

That sucks :( I enjoyed it !
    Maybe SyFy will pick it up ? lol wishful thinking I’m sure !

12. Ryan says:

Darn. The show wasn’t perfect but it became a staple for watching with friends. I think had it continued, it could have gotten darker and better. Alcatraz I’m on the fence about. I thought it and Terra could do another split season. Finder is decent.

13. amos says:

I am shocked and hate to hear this. My wife and my daughter loved to watch it. They will be bummed.

14. mac says:

First Off the Map, and now this! This was a good show with action, romance, and excitement rolled into one. Why? Remember the show mash? It was going to ba cancelled after its first season but the tv stations owners wife liked it so he let it continue another season. Look where its at-the record books!

15. Robin says:

I liked this show…but I can’t say I’m too surprised… Fox has cancelled many shows in the past that could have had potential. This was kind of different though. It was not like anything else I have seen on tv… ah well if it means we get to keep Fringe I guess I can be ok with this…I think Terra Nova would be great on Scifi network though. :) Not that I watch a lot of Scifi network but I would watch Terra Nova on it…

16. Harold says:

I hope this means the far superior Alcatraz will get a second season.

17. justmeinatl says:

Do they count Hulu viewers as viewers of the show? I dont know anyone who has cable anymore, but nearly everyone I know, cable or not, watches shows on Hulu. I liked the show and I hope that someone will pick it up.

18. Patrick says:

Terra Nova was down right terrible! good for the kids? yes! but terrible dialogue and story. I laugh at the person who said Touch will tank… Obviously they’ve never watched the pilot.. and if touch does tank, they should just bring back 24!

19. Mark says:

In the United States, “canceled” is overwhelming preferred to “cancelled”.

20. Seraph says:

haha….

21. Hannah says:

Oh no don’t cancel it I love this show it’s
    My favorite :(

22. IronB says:

Too bad, I enjoyed it though it really did not ever live up to its potential. Still, I would’ve DVR’d it at least one more season, especially since they killed off the son’s love interest. Plus, I love the idea of a cut off civilization, I actually thought the continuing contact with “THE FUTURE!” kinda stunk.

Oh well, just gives me more time for other things in my life. The USA network has been picking up a lot of the slack. Not awards winning shows to be sure, but to while away a cold dark evening…sure!

23. Amy says:

Bummer. I’d given up on Terra Nova after the first few episodes then was talked into giving it another go… by the end it was a fun show and I would’ve been front and centre for season 2.

24. Rebecca says:

So this show get second chance but not Human Target. :(

25. Jasmine says:

Aww man, I loved Terra Nova, never missed a episode. Me and my family looked forward to mondays to watch the show. I hope another network picks it up

26. Olivia says:

I LOVE TERRA NOVA
    Why would you even want to can it, it’s amazing and funny and the only thing that I ever watched. Now I don’t watch that channel because I love movies like that

27. Ruby says:

And this is why I don’t watch new shows on Fox anymore. They are out of control with how quickly they cancel things. Shows need to be allowed to grow. No trust in Fox anymore.

28. :) says:

NOOOOO! Terranova is AWESOME

29. StupidFox says:

Wow fox way to go,
    So what will you have in drama next year:
    Terra Nova – Gone
    Lie to me – gone
    Chicago Code- gone
    Fringe – most likely gone
    House – gone

So Fox you are now going to pin all your bets on Bones, a S7 show and oldest now you dumped House, which was still you #1 drama, and newbie Touch. Well good luck to you, because I will not be watching anything on this network anymore.

• Anna says:

They shouldn’t have put all their eggs in one basket. It was stupid to cancel Lie To Me and Chicago Code. From what I’ve heard, they were both relative cheap to produce. LTM, at least, had a pretty devoted fan following.

Did they cancel House? I was under the impression that the House producers decided to end the show.

30. Jill says:

Darn. I was looking forward to the next season. I loved the dinosaur concept….

31. brayo says:

Thats y i avoid stuff from FOX you just dont know when it will get cancelld.

32. AnnALySe says:

The show wasn’t that good, but it did show some promise at the end of the season. I would have loved to see the second season.
    I’ll definitely keep my fingers crossed for other networks to pick it up !!

33. Dylan says:

Stop liking crappy shows

34. Joe says:

I think that TV networks rely WAY to much on the outdated Nielsen ratings system nowadays, and they have no patience whatsoever. I really don’t understand it. Look at Seinfeld. It came close to not being renewed after the 1st few episodes, and it didn’t crack the top 30 in the Nielsen ratings until season 4. Supposedly, the wife of one of the TV execs loved the show. That’s why it was given so many chances. Nowadays, Seinfeld would’ve been canceled after 1 season (maybe 2). I really don’t think the Nielsen ratings are accurate, but the TV networks accept them as gospel. The ratings are only an estimate based on the few people that actually have the boxes in their homes. They always figure in DVR viewings to the ratings, so why can’t they have a better system that gives more accurate ratings? They could probably get close to the exact number of viewers instead of relying on the outdated Nielsen ratings system to decide the fate of their shows.

And I’m not comparing Terra Nova to Seinfeld. I watched TN and thought that it just OK. The ratings were actually good, but the cost was just too high. Same thing with Fringe (which is one of my favorite shows). The ratings have declined from the start of the show, and it’s future is in jeopardy because of the cost to make it.

Sadly, this is why the dreck known as reality TV will never go away. Those shows, and I use that term loosely, cost very little to make. It’s a smaller gamble for the networks because they don’t have much to lose on that crap. Reality TV has killed creative, “real” shows. Very sad because like everything, it comes down to money. The Nielsen ratings need to go the way of the dodo bird. The networks know the exact amount of money a show costs. I’m surprised that they wouldn’t want to know exactly how many people are watching their shows.

35. KendoVT says:

If canceling Terra Nova gives Fringe one last season, I’m all for it…

36. kael says:

figured this would likely happen… fox always has been aweful about cancelling series. I’d truly love to see this show find another network and keep going though since it really is a neat concept.

37. Dominique says:

Not that I didn’t consider this possibilty, but this still hits me hard :( I loved this show, it had potential, and I’m sick of Fox cancelleing all these great shows after one season. Give it some time.

38. Stephen says:

This just ruined a morning that started off pretty good….

39. kirads09 says:

I can’t say I am surprised – it must be super expensive to produce. But I really hope another network picks it up. I love this show! :(

40. T says:

It’s a good concept. It just needs a little more reworking and attention to detail. I think if it moved to Syfy they could edge it up a bit. (or TNT and pair it with Noah Wylie’s show.)

41. Rosemary says:

That’s sad as we all watched that one as a family, 13 & 11 year old enjoyed it also. Husband just asked the other day when it was coming back on. Bummed I will have to tell him it isn’t.

42. Beth says:

Pity! It was a pretty good show, apart from the weird obsession with nuclear families.

43. Ivan says:

Noooooooo. I’m depressed

44. William G. says:

Fringe is amazing, it would be great when we would have another season. But in order to get a new follower base they have to reboot it, so it’s accessible for everybody. Other FOX news:

Alcatraz is getting pretty mediocre. The weekly format is boring. The characters are one-dimensional (except Sam Neil) and surprisingly shallow, the stories are unpleasantly predictable. 63 prisoners + a few guards.. 3 seasons before we get some answers?

The Finder has potential, but throw out the teenagers ..

Bones. Not the same since Brennan and Booth are together. Moves from the Thursday to the Monday.. The CBS rules there!! (which Network ruled there in the old days..?)

Glee. Last episode was enjoyable. Need more guest stints like Ricky Martin. Better story lines…(enough about the “I-am-gay-and-not accepted” stories).Teenagers have a lot of other problems to deal with in life.

Touch: The pilot was promising… Curious what’s happening next.

Fox!! Cliff ahead!!!

45. Dwayne says:

We all knew it was coming. Fox would have had to give them a heads up by beginning of last month if they were getting a new season because production takes that long. When Jan & Feb came and went with no word, it was fairly obvious.

46. Nadine says:

So disappointed! I stuck with it and it became one of my favorite shows. More and more, I wait to see how a series does after 1-2 seasons before I get into it.

47. csmitty says:

Sad to see Terra Nova go. Precious little good science fiction left on TV, and I’m afraid this doesn’t bode well for Fringe either, that continues to struggle with ratings. Hope someone else picks this up (Netflix? SciFi?) but doubtful since every story mentions “the budget.”

48. Labgrrl says:

That’s really too bad – this show really came together as it he season progressed…. I will miss it :(

49. Anna says:

Sad day, but I am not surprised,Fox likes to cancel the shows I watch on it, hopefully another channel will pick it up!

50. Peter says:

Cant say I’m surprised. The show ripped off a really good concept from Julian May and turned it into something totally banal.