Scoop: Robbie Amell Lands Son Role in Bill Lawrence's Like Father Pilot for Fox

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

How I Met Your Mother alum Robbie Amell has been tapped to play the co-lead opposite Colin Ferguson in Bill Lawrence’s semi-autobiographical Fox comedy pilot Like Father.

The premise: When Van Lyons’ (Ferguson) wife dies, he shows up at son Will’s (Amell) college campus for a prolonged visit, hoping to get his son to open up and get on with his grieving.

Amell, the cousin of Vampire Diaries alum and newly-christened Green Arrow Stephen Amell, is coming off of guest stints on Revenge and CSI: NY. His additional credits include the Scooby-Doo live-action TV-movies (playing head-sleuth Fred) and Nickelodeon’s hit kiddie show True Jackson, VP.

Comments (10)

• Robbie and Stephen are cousins.

Comment by A – March 5, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, they’re cousins, not brothers.

Comment by M – March 5, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, your habit of turning a one or two episode appearance into alum status is getting out of hand. I know HIMYM is more well known than True Jackson, but he did two episodes of the former, and 38 episodes of the latter. Or if you’re going to pick a two episode appearance, why not go with his two eps of hot property Revenge?

Comment by Kiki – March 5, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, who was he on HIMYM? Was that Scooby?

(Lets just go w/ former guest star instead of alum.)

Comment by Reality – March 6, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I was like “HIMYM alum? Who is that? How do I not know him?”, and then I saw he just did two episodes.

Comment by Matheus Munhoz – March 7, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it sad that I remember him first and foremost from that made for TV movie, Picture This, with Ashley Tisdale?

Comment by NJM – March 5, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, I guess Bill’s attempt to find someone new to play the role via Youtube didn’t work out.

Comment by Amanda – March 6, 2012 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he looks way too old to be a college student.

Comment by Leah – March 6, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You’re never too old to be a college student. I should know, I didn’t start college till I was 27 and the mother of three.

Comment by gcem – March 6, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colin Ferguson is 39. Must’ve been a young father.

Comment by M – March 6, 2012 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post