Lindsay Lohan Leads SNL to Season's Second-Best Ratings

Get More: Late Night TV, News, Ratings

Saturday Night Live was on the high side with LiLo serving as host this weekend.

Though Lindsay Lohan would go on to take many critical drubbings for her mediocre outing, the telecast nonetheless gave the NBC sketch show its second-highest rating (a 5.5) in metered-market households this season, trailing only the Jan. 7 installment. (That episode amassed an 8.2, goosed by a late-running, well-watched NFL Wild Card playoff game lead-in. Charles Barkley served as host with musical guest Kelly Clarkson.)

Lindsay Lohan Hosts SNL: What Were the Best and Worst Skits?

Versus the same night last year (Miley Cyrus/The Strokes), SNL was up 2 percent in metered-market households.

Comments (19)

• I think it disturbs me that those people who don’t usually watch snl may come to think that that episode is indicative of what to expect from it.

Comment by Juan – March 5, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about a mixed reaction from the critics and audiences.

Comment by kevin – March 5, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not really. Just because someone watched it, doesn’t mean they liked it. That said, I didn’t think it was THAT bad.

Comment by Captain – March 5, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What has Lindsay done to her face?? She’s hardly recognizable anymore.

Comment by Kat – March 5, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She has a terrible hairdo, she’s gained quite a bit of weight, she’s gotten older, she’s had a rough few years, and she did something to her lips.

I think if she lost a few pounds (note, she’s skinny as is, but to get back to her ideal weight she needs to lose a few) and fixed her hair she’d still be stunning.

Comment by rjcarr – March 5, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I don’t understand why someone would want to look like a bloated corpse pulled out of a river after being submerged for a couple of weeks. And it looked like fish had already started chewing on her nose because that was definitely not the one she used to have.

Comment by jennrae – March 5, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YEah especially when her face used to be so beautiful. I saw her up close at Coachella about five years ago and she was stunning!!

Comment by Jason – March 5, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only sketched I really liked was the Disney Princes one.

Comment by Emc – March 5, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I recorded and watched this for one reason and one reason only: Jack White. And retroactively, Jon Hamm. But I skipped all Lohan-related content.

Comment by Nicole – March 5, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a regular SNL viewer, but I don’t get the vitriol about Lindsay Lohan. Do people not want this girl to work? Do you want her to remain a train wreck? Have you forgotten Robert Downey, Jr. and his recovery? Cut the girl some slack and if you ever liked her hope she can have a decent future.

Comment by Linderella49 – March 5, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Robert Downey Jr has the talent and charisma that Lohan lacks, he was able to recover out of his own merit, she has been given every chance to bounce back… but maybe she’s just not good enough to stick around, or should we pretend that she was good even though she wasn’t just for the sake of getting her back on her feet? And speaking of RDJ when do we get to see him host? SNL needs to start scheduling some genuinely funny people. I would also recommend Lauren Graham, but I’m afraid they might think she’s not “big enough” to host.

Comment by gillian – March 5, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a host, she was nothing special. But, she can only do as good as the skits written for her.

Comment by connerc – March 5, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to know how many actual people watched the show, like in millions.

Comment by Fabe – March 5, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the ratings bump was from Jack White! That being said. Lohan was not that bad. She was funny in most of the sketches she did. But the writing was horrible in those sketches so that brought her down. She was good in the Radio sketch, the Princess sketch and the others she was mostly just there to say lines. Blame goes to the writing not Lohan!!!

Comment by Jason – March 5, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh and that Kristen Wiig sketch where she just keeps freaking out about the telephone has to be one of the worst SNL sketches of all time. It’s like they think just Kristen Wiig acting crazy is funny enough to carry a sketch. Personally I think she is awful in most sketches and way over used. it has only gotten worse since Bridesmaids. I hope she quits soon!!

Comment by Jason – March 5, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She had a couple good sketches (house wives and prank calls) and a really bad one (lorenzo from prison). The prison sketch was bad because of her, she was terrible. All the other bad sketches weren’t her fault.

Since there were a couple repeat sketches at the end I don’t think the writers had a lot of time to work on the material.

I think Lindsay did OK though … not great, not terrible given what she was working with.

Comment by rjcarr – March 5, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like to think that the purpose of this episode was to foreshadow that Jon Hamm will be back to host later on this season to promote Mad Men.

Comment by Alex – March 5, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In a perfect world everyone would have been watching for Jack White.

Comment by Anna – March 5, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post