TVLine Items: Grey's Boss on Katherine Heigl Return, New Game of Thrones Trailer and More!

Katherine HeiglGrey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes has confirmed what we pretty much already knew after watching Ellen Pompeo on Chelsea Lately last week: Katherine Heigl will not be returning to Grey’s Anatomy anytime soon.

While Pompeo chuckled and replied with a simple, “No, I don’t think that’s happening,” when asked about the prospect of her former co-star returning to the ABC series, Rhimes was even more definitive about a possible Izzie comeback.

“We are on a track we have been planning, and the idea of changing that track is not something we are interested in right now,” Rhimes tells TV Guide Magazine, adding that it’s “really nice to hear [Heigl] appreciating the show.”

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

HBO has released a new trailer for Season 2 of Game of Thrones (premiering April 1), featuring Florence + The Machine’s chilling “Seven Devils.” (Speaking of Game of Thrones, do check out The Simpsons‘ awesome homage to the HBO series’ opening title sequence during last night’s episode.)

Loading video...

Game of Thrones Hot Shots: Season 2 Is Coming

Warner Bros. TV has pulled the plug on the CBS drama pilot Quean, which features an edgy hacker girl and an Oakland police detective who solve crimes together, Deadline reports. Sony Pictures, which owns the rights to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book series, threatened to sue the studio over alleged similarities to the popular trilogy.

Guillermo Diaz (Weeds, ABC’s upcoming new series Scandal) will guest star on Episode 18 of Law and Order: SVU, TVLine has learned exclusively. He’ll play a convict and self-educated lawyer who maintains his innocence.

CBS will air the special ACM Presents: Lionel Richie and Friends — in Concert on April 13 at 9/8c, featuring performances from country music stars Sara Evans, Tim McGraw,  Jennifer Nettles, The Band Perry, Lady Antebellum, Martina McBride, Rascal Flatts, Kenny Chesney and more.

GSN will pay tribute to the late Davy Jones by reairing his episode of The Newlywed Game on March 6 at 7/6c.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Krystal says:

The only reason I would even want Heigl back on the show would be to give the Izzie story line proper closure, for Alex.

With that being said, Im happy to know Rhimes will not derail the show for the sake of Izzie because I’m so over that character and Katherine Heigl in general. I don’t know why everyone is so jazzed for her return. The idea of Izzie coming back gives me nausea. Once Denny died, her character became unbearable. I honestly wish they would have gotten rid of her sooner than they did, or at least killed her off with George. There was something poetic about the BFFs dying together.

• Julia says:

Me too. Actually, I stopped liking Izzy once she got together with Denny behind Alex’s back. I know, Alex is a man-whore. But, for Alex, the sex was just sex- and a way of self-sabotaging serious relationships. (You know, that whole drive-them-away-before-they-can-hurt-me thing.) When Izzy met Denny, Alex had committed to her. She not only fell for someone else, but wasn’t upfront with Alex when it happened. I hated Izzy’s histrionics when she was trying to convince Denny to let her steal a heart from someone else on the transplant list.

I think that Shonda interviewed before the start of this season that she doesn’t intend for Alex to have Izzy-closure anytime soon.

BTW, whatever happened to Izzy’s hospital bills that they dumped on Alex in season 6? When Izzy’s shamed Webber into giving her former teacher surgery for free by bringing up the 8 million dollars she donated to the hospital, did they wipe out her own bills as well?

2. Shuayb says:

Ok that’s just mean on Shonda’s part! Surely they could add her next season or a small guess stint? Nothing is set in stone!!! It certainly looks like they really don’t want her back! Would have been nice to have Izzy for a bit! Damn U Shonda!

• Samantha says:

How is it mean when Katherine was so rude before?

• Antwon says:

I think it was fine. She didn’t bash KH at all…unlike what KH did while still on the show. She had a great gig on a hit show and they bent over backwards to accommodate her only to have her ask to be let out of her contract. She wanted off the show–so she should stay off.

3. Meg says:

I think you mean season 13 of SVU. Episode 13 was a couple of weeks ago.

4. Carly says:

I think its hysterical that Grey’s is still using Katherine Heigl for promotion. Katherine herself said that while she’d like to see where Izzie was at she understood the show has all new characters now and that there probably wasn’t room. Ellen Pompeo can laugh all she wants. Let’s see where she is 2 years after leaving Grey’s.

• RLS says:

Does it matter? She makes ungodly amounts of $$ from that show and will have residuals forever. She could literally do nothing for the rest of her life and still be set. You really must know nothing about tv to make a comment like that.

• Amanda says:

Heigel is the one who first told reporters that she would consider doing a guest stint on Grey’s to bring closure to the Izzy/Alex storyline, not the otherway around.

• amberjj says:

ellen pompeo is one of if not the highest paid actresses on tv. Girl will be laughing all the way to the bank.

• Dorrie says:

Grey’s was silent on KH this season and for good reason. She’s not on the show anymore. It was KH who, while trying to promote her latest movie, made comments about wanting to return to Grey’s and the media churn started.It was KH who is still using Grey’s for promotion! As far as Pompeo is concerned, since she’s friendly with KH and keeps in touch, it may have been KH who told her it was a no go for whatever reason. And based on Rhimes’ latest comment it was a true statement, at least for now. Both of these ladies are laughing all the way to the bank IMO.

• Matthew says:

Ellen Pompeo isn’t stupid enough to bite the hand that feeds.
      She knows as an actress how hard it is to break in, and has thanked Shonda profusely for backing her, and has given the due respect to the show, writers, producers, assistants and her character whereas Heigl did not.
      I’d laugh too, if such a diva thought she had a chance at coming back, just because her big screen career failed.

5. shaun says:

Great looking GOT trailer!!King of the North!!HODOR!!

6. Darth Pablo says:

Oh I could hide, neath the wing, of the blue bird as she sings, the 6 oclock alarm, will never ring…..

7. K.H. says:

Katherine Heigl will be back once Grey’s Anatomy drops in the ratings, particularly in the the 18-49 demo. That could either be next season or 3 seasons from now, but I always felt like Heigl return would be a potential stop gap solution if ratings dropped significantly!

8. misha says:

I know Katherine was the cause of all this but her departure was very poorly written, it’s not Izzie, who she is with her friends(for me, she was annoying with all the SL with Georges)

I don’t believe in the answer given by Shonda but in the Ellen’s smile at Chelsea Handler show and it’s what I thought that Shonda does not want Katie in the show (I understand) but fans of Izzie and Alex/Izzie expect that for a long time (Justin Chambers desired it too) a real closure between them or in the final season if Justin doesnt sign for another season. I think it would be nice for the fans (Iz/Alex, Iz) who follow the show for 8 seasons.

What Shonda said is not impracticable. Yes, there are many characters now (too personally, I loved their small group in the beginning and it has become more Callie’s Anatomy then Grey’s) Izzie may be included in the Alex’s SL and we didn’t need episode focused on her.

Since Izzie leaving, Alex had lame SL or nothing, like a secondary character while he’s normally a main character!

Too bad…

9. Forwarddad says:

I am getting a little frustrated with this site overall . Unfortunately there is no place to express my concerns. I love the writers but I feel this site is all over the place. Why can’t they group topics together like recaps, videos and interviews? Plus I find the recaps if showsbso inconsistent. Where is the Good Wife recap? Just sayin…

10. misha says:

Don’t need to bash Ellen, she’s friend with Katherine
    I think she smiles/laughs because she knows Shonda doesn’t want Katie to come back

11. Jrs says:

Wow, the only reason I would watch Kathryn Heigel period is if someone was holding a gun against my head!!!! Talk about a waste of human flesh.

• Linderella says:

Gun against your head? Really? Really? Now who is all melodramatic? I think the only way to close out Alex’s storyline when the time comes is having KH back as Izzy.

12. sabrena says:

well i guess im free after reading this i dont care enough abot KH but alex& izzie were my favourite couple from this show ….i think they`ll always be but it was really bad hearing this that iz might come back so i keep waiting ..watching mainly for alex but now i`m gonaa stop watching show supposed to be medical but it ended to stupid stupid recycled soap opera ..i really hope JC&SO leave too so i will never have reason to look back

13. Emma says:

I really love the new Game of Thrones trailer. I keep watching it over and over.

14. Nick says:

Please stop packaging crap together with good stuff on your links. I want to watch the Game of Thrones trailor, I could give a f*** about Greys Menopause.

• luke says:

THIS!!!

• Sina says:

Agree! I don’t mind Greys Anatomy, but it’s kinda unfortunately to see that all the comments are about Katherine instead of the awesome new GOT trailer, when it’s actually the reason you wanted to read this post.

15. Jess says:

Moving this conversation away from Grey’s. LOVE THE NEW GOT TRAILER! The music is so unexpected for this show, but works so well! Great job, promo trail-maker people! :D Seven gods and seven hells, so why not seven devils!

16. leo says:

Sorry, but I am over Izzie. There is not alot that seeing her character back could do for the show. I feel we did get closure with Izzie when Alex told her he was done. The character we never got real closure for was Burke but there isn’t a way to bring him back.

17. Mcat says:

Game of Thrones and Florence + The Machine?! Together???!?!

*faints from awesome overload*

18. Miffy says:

Stay away, Iggy – just because your movie career is bombing doesn’t mean you can come back.

19. Madison says:

“Game of Thrones” trailer is epic. Looking forward to it.

20. Win says:

I love GOT but did anyone notice that 98% of the scenes in the trailer were from last season. I am looking forward to new trailers but I guess they dont want to give anything away before the new season- Can’t Wait!!!

21. Hannah says:

Is anyone else over Katherine Heigl? I’m so glad they’re not bringing her back. She doesn’t deserve the opportunity.

22. jet says:

i Love watching grey when Katherine heigl was on the show and now that very sad that she is not retuning . as a fan of this show i want to tell shonda that, because of your latest comment on her not taking her back on the show break heart of lot of fans .lot of people who i know started to watch dis show beacause of katie. and if she wants to retun and not shonda is not gonna give her a chance we will no longer wanna watch dis show. now shonda can run this show without her fans, may be she wasn’t thinking that this show is running beacause of fans. who don’t want to take such a talented and beautiful actress. i am so sorry Katie, that was ur mistake that u have asked to come back, u deserve better than that.not every ones perfect human can do mistakes and she did apologize for her mistke .i want to tell her that the decision on leaving greys and those unkind people was very right thing that u’ve done. even the story line and the casts are v boring. words to those who dont want her back on the show, she didn’t do any harm to u so stop commenting and wasting ur time ,u ppl can use dat time to write some good comment about the ones u loved. on the other hand i think u ppl love her and are upset because of her leaving and now u have to watch dis show with all da boring ppl. Keep it up guys.

23. monic says:

Damn it!
    Izzie needs to come back!

24. Helvin says:

BOO Shonda! Izzie is an essential part of this show. Especially when KH says she would come back. C’mon I’m pretty sure every1 could put up with her for shooting at least 1 episode that can just give the fans some explanation of how Izzie turned out. Its selfish to let personal feelings get in the way… PS. Awesomest idea ever wud b to bring back George – just watched his death scenes now and it didn’t look like any1 actually proooooooved it was him hint hint

25. You could certainly see your skills within the work you write. The sector hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to mention how they believe. All the time follow your heart.