Exclusive

Exclusive First Look: Hawaii Five-0 Gets a Blast from the Past!

Hawaii Five-0, as previously announced, will tap into the past — namely, that of the CBS drama’s original incarnation — when Ed Asner reprises a role he first played more than 30 years ago. And TVLine has a first look at the seven-time Emmy winner’s encore.

In the episode airing March 19, Asner will again portray August March, who in the 1975 episode “Wooden Model of a Rat” was an up-and-coming world-class smuggler. When today’s Five-0 team needs advice on a case involving smuggled gems, they turn to March, who’s now living free after serving 30 years in the joint.

As an added call-back, the new episode will weave in original footage from Asner’s original guest-starring appearance. Check out the first photo from Asner’s encore, then read on for more:

Asked for his reaction upon getting the call to revisit a character he thought he had left behind long ago, Asner told TVLine, “It was a delight that I was alive to inspire the idea, firstly. And secondly, I was glad to have the opportunity to work on a top show like Hawaii Five-0 with [executive producer] Peter Lenkov, who I admire enormously.”

Plus, of course, there’s the perk of a trip to the Aloha State. “Yeah,” Asner acknowledged, “that’s always nice!”

1. Matthew says:

I like that Hawaii Five 0 has had nods to the original. Looking forward to seeing Ed Asner. To the so called “journalist” that commented that EA is on because AOL is in rehab – this episode was filmed prior to that.

2. kevin says:

Wish Alex the best of luck to him and get well soon.

3. LeeD says:

How neat. I was born in 75 so my only #H5O is the reboot but I’m sure my folks will enjoy the flashback. Hopefully, Alex won’t miss too many episodes past those already filmed but it’s more important to have him back healthy & pain free.

4. wordsmith says:

The trouble with callbacks to the original is that then they might have to explain how this character happened to run into four other cops with the exact same names all those years ago…
    Clearly, they need to revise history at least a little bit.

• Beany53 says:

Agreed. Ed Asner has aged 30 years and none of the other characters have. I like Ed but this seems ridiculous.

• suzi says:

If they don’t use footage with the original actors or mention the characters, just a younger Asner in Hawaii, I don’t see a problem. It’s a nice tribute the first version.

• Beany53 says:

But he is interacting with Kono and Danny in above picture. And it says “When today’s Five-0 team needs advice on a case involving smuggled gems, they turn to March, who’s now living free after serving 30 years in the joint.” I like Ed and will enjoy seeing him just not the way it is being done.

5. karley j says:

This is great I loved ed asner in the Mary Tyler Moore show and now he’s guesting on my current fave. Really needed this good news after hearing about AOLs troubles

6. LoveH50 says:

@wordsmith – to quote Yogi Berra “it’s deja vu all over again” LOL! Looking forward to the episode but more importantly, looking forward to Alex’s healthy return! Speedy recovery Alex, miss you already.

7. sarah says: