Breakout Kings Season 2: Serinda Swan Teases 'Organized Chaos' and a Game-Changing Death

If you’ve seen the promos for Season 2 of A&E’s Breakout Kings (premiering Sunday at 10/9c), you’ve gotten wind of the big twist that’s coming: One of the Kings falls. But that shocking send-off not only packs an immediate emotional punch, it has a ripple effect on the surviving team members, making them more cautious, but also, contradicting enough, bolder in the actions. Meaning, rules are gonna be broken as the ragtag team of crafty cons help the U.S. Marshal service hunt down escaped prisoners.

Serinda Swan, who plays the deadly sexy Erica Reed, spoke with TVLine about Season 2′s changes, where she stands on “boobs out, ass out” characterizations, and the new threat that promises to keep the Kings on their toes all season long.

TVLINE | Is there is a theme to Season 2 of Breakout Kings?
We have this through line of Damien [the season premiere's elusive target, played by Roswell's Jason Behr], which is pretty cool. But the main thing we heard from the fans last year was the desire to know more about the characters’ stories, about their lives, to see them interact more. And I think [series creators] Matt [Olmstead] and Nick [Santora] and the whole writing team did a wonderful job listening, because this year they did that. As a result, we got to have more fun, and we get more laughs. For example, there is a lot of humor in the breakouts. You’ll have [a convict] running naked across a field, while all of us are staring at each other like, “What exactly is going on here?”

TVLINE | And in the premiere there’s this utterly random flirty moment between Erica and some guy who accidentally gets off the elevator at their headquarters.
We relax a little bit more — because in the first season, it’s difficult to do that. That about coming together as a team, and now we are that team, which is a lot more fun.

TVLINE | Would you say that the Kings are more empowered this season?
We proceed with some caution based on the fact that one of the kings falls [in the premiere] — that puts a bit of hesitation in us — but yes, we definitely get different kinds of privileges. You’ll see a few rules, like “No cons get weapons,” get broken. We push the boundaries a bit.

TVLINE | Good, because having an extra gun handy could have changed how the premiere ended.
I think they address that really well in the [second] episode, because that was a problem. In the first season, I know I got a gun twice, and I think Shea (played by Malcolm Goodwin) got a gun once… but it was always in very live-or-die situations. And yet you have to remember who you’re working with – Shea the gang-banger, Lloyd the super-eccentric brainchild (Jimmi Simpson), and Erica the rage-issue mother who is a murderess. Put all of them together and it’s organized chaos.

TVLINE | In Season 1, we touched on Erica’s daughter, and her bounty hunter father’s death. There will be more of that?
There’s actually another storyline that comes into this season that’s quite interesting — a possible love interest comes into her life, and that shakes things up. She gets her game on. I can’t say who with, but.. she’s definitely getting something that I don’t think she’s supposed to be! [Laughs]

TVLINE | Well, let’s talk about Erica’s innate sexuality. Is that something you’re OK with because she owns it, and more often than not she is being badass?
That was one of the main things I talked to Matt and Nick about before I did the show — Who is Erica? And how do they see her using her sexuality? Because if it’s very overtly sexual and she’s just sort of this campy girl, I wasn’t really interested in playing that. That’s in her bag of tricks, but it’s not her go-to move. She’s not always dressed up, boobs out, ass out. When she has to be feminine – you see her go undercover this season in a tiny little dress and in heels – it doesn’t bother me, because it’s just a part of her repertoire. It’s not just, “I’m sexy, I’m sexy, I’m sexy.” I get to do a scene in a dress and a wig, and in the next one I’m punching a 6-foot-6 monstrosity of a man 20 times in the face because I have rage issues. That’s the type of diversity I love.

TVLINE | It’s also fun to note that while she’s been deducting time from her sentence doing captures with the Kings, she’s also had time added….
Yeah, for bad contact time [in prison] – “BCT.” This season she gets a little more punchy. She doesn’t really take any bulls–t. But at the same time she’s not as much of a spazz. You get the more calculated side of her.

TVLINE | When we get done with this interview, you’re off to Cambodia, as part of your effort to raise awareness about human sex trafficking. What brought this cause into focus for you?
I saw a documentary on CNN about it, and I knew there was something that I had to do. And as soon as I was done shooting [Season 1], I booked a ticket to Southeast Asia to travel thru Cambodia, Malaysia and Thailand, where it’s a huge problem, to see firsthand what was going on. After I got back, I put on a fundraiser called “18 for 18,” which involved throwing myself out of a plane at 18,000 feet to raise $18,000 — and in 10 days we had raised over $38,000.

TVLINE | And how does that chunk of change possibly help?
There’s a group in Cambodia called Voices for Change, and they go to front lines and to brothels and do rescues, and they needed a van. We also did donations for computers to educate, because they do a three-year reintegration program [with rescues]. And there’s medical supplies, security for the sanctuaries and the rescue centers…. Tonight I leave for Cambodia, where we’re [bike] riding out of Phnom Penh, raising funds for Somaly Mam. I also have a nonprofit called Friends to Mankind. Nowadays people in the entertainment industry can have a louder voice than politicians and I think it’s important that they use that voice to say something positive, or to give a voice to somebody that’s had theirs taken away.

Comments (42)

• So who dies???? Is it Shea? Obviously it isn’t Erica, which is good, but how can the show go on without Lloyd or Shea?! Can’t wait until tonight.

Comment by Rachel – March 4, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess would be Shea as well since I don’t see them getting rid of Loyd. His character and what he brings to the table are pretty specific and I don’t see them doing away with that. Add that to the fact that we now know it isn’t Erica from the interview above that leaves Shea.

Comment by Dax – March 4, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think it might be the blond girl who does all the research. Her death would affect everyone on the team but it won’t hurt the dynamic of the group. Plus, I don’t really see anywhere for them to go with her story.

Comment by Jamie – March 4, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad the show is back, but I don’t want to see any of them killed off. I like the group the way it is. I hope they’ll at least bring in a worthy replacement.

Comment by Carrie – March 4, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anybody else see Wonder Woman when they look at her?

Comment by Cathy – March 4, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope. That picture of Serinda Swann is really unflattering. It looks like she’s aged badly – she’s got gray steaks in her hair and overhanging cheeks. She was a knockout as Zatanna on Smallville not so long ago. What happened?!!

Comment by Jo – March 5, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Lloyd doesn’t die he’s my favorite. He’s such a good actor. I love him on Always sunny in Philadelphia. But I really hope its not him I would probably not watch the show anymore if he gets killed off

Comment by andrea – March 4, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll take a guess and say it is Ray.

Comment by Tom – March 4, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is the guy that escaped in the (book van)?
    He looks so familiar I know I have seen him in other shows. Glad this show is back on!!

Comment by Michelle Hay – March 4, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so shocked, i had to put my hands over my mouth and almost cried felt deeply surprised at how it went down,,couldnt believe charlie took the fall, now the team is really tight, cant wait til next sunday,, RIP charlie Duchamp,, by the way why his character quickly die off after being promoted? oh well its just a show, but a good one,, LOL!!

Comment by Carrie – March 4, 2012 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BRAVO to sum it up in on word although very heatbreaking the writers and cast did an awsome job on the premier like i knew they would this is going to be an exciting season i for one will be tuneing in every sunday but will or sue miss charlie…again BRAVO to you all :)

Comment by juanta – March 4, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the premiere of the 2nd season. Killing off Charlie was the wrong move. Will not watch it anymore!

Comment by Joann – March 4, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, that was total garbage killing Charlie off the show. My guess is he has another movie role or something!

Comment by Alan – March 4, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was one of two things….either the actor had something else he wanted to do or they were looking to cut costs on the production and taking away 1/6th of the cast will definitely do that. I liked his character and the actor fine but it will not keep me from continuing to watch the show. I’ll take a guess and say this will be the last season of the show…barely made the cut last time on A&E. I would love to see another season after this one but I have a gut feeling we are going to be watching the last 10 episodes in this 2nd season.

Comment by Tom – March 5, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t make that kind of a comment. Usually, when a character gets killed off, there’s a reason. If they thought he wasn’t good in that role, they wouldn’t have revolved the whole series about him. Most likely, he left due to personal reasons or another better role and they killed him off that way for dramatic effect!

Comment by Joe Piervincenti – March 5, 2012 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew it was gonna be a black guy. I just didn’t think it would be Charlie. Smh. Idk if I will continue to watch it.

Comment by tp – March 4, 2012 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had read that he was up for a number of roles, and was extremely busy. As an actor in demand, he probably took this as an opportunity to focus on other projects. From 2009-2012, he’s been in 12 separate projects, including I believe four movies and two television series.

Comment by Cathy – March 4, 2012 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I should have guessed it would be Charlie to get killed off. His portrayer (Laz Alonzo) is moving up on the big screen, and his commitment to Breakout Kings, a non-network show, would be troublesome to his burgeoning movie career.

The good thing is that since the show is more about the fugitives than the Marshalls, his death really doesn’t change the storyline too much.

Honestly, I’m just glad it wasn’t Lloyd.

Comment by Nicotine – March 5, 2012 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about the focus of the show being more on the cons. That is why before the show was aired, while most people were guessing one of the cons biting the dust, I picked one of the cops. Unfortunately for my prediction skills I picked the wrong one….Ray, instead of Charlie. But with Julianne and Ray and Charlie on the non-con side, the show could still function well with one of them gone….hard to imagine only having 2 cons.

Comment by Tom – March 5, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, weren’t they telegraphing this last season with all his heart(?) ailments and scenes where he had chest pains and was keepin’ on keepin’ on in spite of advice to not to?

Comment by grannygeek – March 5, 2012 05:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the record..I was looking forward to seeing the new season of Breakout Kings..did not know the character for Laz Alonzo would be killed off. He was one of the reasons I tuned into the show in the first place. Sadly I will not be interested in it any longer..Sorry .-(

Comment by Mscreole Diva – March 5, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Breakout Kings and so happy it is back.
    However I am not happy that Laz Alonzo is out. I wonder if he thinks he is a big movie actor now or if he wanted more money and they did not want to give him a raise or what…..

Comment by sarah – March 5, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t keep up with his career but according to some other posts above, apparently he might be up for some better roles. To be fair, A&E is not exactly a major network and also they also have given the show 20 episodes in 2 years. Geez, even USA Network gives their series I think about 15 episodes a season. I certainly can’t blame any of the actors looking elsewhere for most extensive parts and work. Acting is a business just like everything else. If I can make twice as much money somewhere else and have better job security, guess what…I’m moving on also. Please keep in mind that Breakout Kings was unfortunately on the margin for renewal the last time. A&E waited a long time to renew the series…my guess is this will unfortunately be the last season.

Comment by Tom – March 5, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a “BIG FAN OF THE BREAKOUT KINGS”. I was so shocked to see Charlie character killed during the first episode of season 2. I really enjoyed the cast members from season 1 all working together. When I saw that Charlie character was killed, I said to myself that I don’t think that I will be watching it anymore. I will have to watch episode 2 to see where all of this goes. I hope that you have a great replacement for Charlie!

Comment by Fan of show – March 5, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Her love interest will be the guy that came up to their office in the premiere.
    I think it will be a smart move to give the cons guns as now that Charlie is gone, Ray cant be the only one with a gun that will leave them at a disadvantage.

Comment by sarah – March 5, 2012 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Charlie!!!
    Lost a loyal watcher!!!

Comment by Nichol – March 5, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with you totally. I’m highly disappointed that they killed Charlie.

Comment by Charles – March 5, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R u sum of u serious? It’s just a show, it happens! People get killed off shows all the time..their actors they get new jobs and move on and trust me if u lost ur job or moved on they’re not gonna boycott the business lol..luv the show and will definitely b tuning n next week..so happy it’s back been looking for it!!!

Comment by Tasha – March 5, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Tasha, I agree with you but after finding out that Laz didn’t really want to be off the show, it DOES now bring up budget wise how dedicated A&E is to this show. Remember, the filming went from Toronto to Baton Rouge, LA which I would bet anything gave them a better deal. Now add to that a cast costcutting move, and anyone would have to be worried somewhat about the committment to the show, right?

Comment by Tom – March 5, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wasn’t a good start to the season at all.

Comment by Jo – March 5, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just read Laz Alonzo’s tweet (yes, it is him and from his twitter account) and he said “It was not my decision” in answer to why did he leave the show. He also posted best wishes to the cast and the production staff. Soooo, that pretty much leaves it as a cost cutting move. I thought it was either him wanting to pursue other opportunities or to save money….since A&E barely renewed it to begin with, I thought it might be the money. The other alternative… couldn’t fit the character into scripts doesn’t make sense here since of course the entire show was based on him and Charley forming the group to begin with.

Comment by Tom – March 5, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to see DuChamp go…now if they could get rid of the other Fed that’d be better…replace them both in one fell swoop. The hostility toward the Kings demonstrated by the Feds they try to help makes the show almost unwatchable. The Kings are creative and autonomous by nature..this can only be crushed by the morons who watch over “control” them. Adore the Kings but the Feds gotta become a little more human to help this show evolve…by showing appreciation for the efforts of the Kings would be a good start.

Comment by Vago – March 5, 2012 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was a career move for Laz… I’m sure we will be seeing a lot of him in the near future….

Comment by Mz Shae – March 5, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so saddened to see Laz Alonzo’s character killed off. But I can’t say I am not all that surprised… Black/brown male leads on prime time tv get no love or protection from the industry, web though his character was actually interesting and well acted. And before anyone gets all up in arms, I know Shea is still there… Better to keep a stereotypical black gangabanger than a well-educated, married, handsome, fair-minded law enforcement officer.

Comment by Lkwindy – March 6, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again, it was neither a career move by Laz Alonzo NOR a racial thing as has been suggested also. It was a COST CUTTING move, pure and simple. It would make 0 sense to have 3 cops (if you include Julianne even though she is technically a civilian) and only 2 cons. Thus, that mean they either had to cut Charlie, Ray, or Julianne. I predicted Ray but of course it turned out to be Charlie. But for someone to act like it was racially motivated simply makes no sense. When you cut 1/6th of the regular cast, you save a huge amount of the expenses in front of the cameras at least. Wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t cut the behind the camera staff also. We already know they moved production from Toronto to Baton Rouge….I bet they didn’t do that to be close to good gumbo. LOL!

Comment by Tom – March 6, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very angry they killed off Charlie. Was this an A&E decision or his?

Comment by mickey – March 6, 2012 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Charlie dies’!!!! Omg…. Why him? The show isn’t going to be the same without the lead actor!

Comment by Pierina – March 7, 2012 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think killing off Charlie was a major mistake and you will definitely see the ratings of this show fall rapidly.

Comment by Tricia – March 12, 2012 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched show for Charlie played by Laz. Couldn’t have an intelligent Black man? So, kill him off and keep the Black stereotype ‘thuggish’ character. It just sickens me that after all my Black people have been through for this country, you white people are still jealous and fearful of us, our talent and power.

Comment by dale armstrong – March 19, 2012 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • could someone would tell me the name of the girl with red T-shirt and blu jeans who meet Damien Fontleroi in the party.i heard he said ms pleasure,but i want to know the real name of that girl plz

Comment by blu – April 1, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her (actress) name is Brittney Alger.

Comment by Tettie – April 3, 2012 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Most problems in Cambodia, including sex trafficking, corruption, and human rights abuses may be blamed on poverty and the destruction of social and physical infrastructure stemming from the country’s tragic past, namely, the Khmer Rouge and the use of Cambodia as turf for Cold War adversaries.

Comment by Cambodian Music – May 11, 2012 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post