Pilot Scoop: Gifted Man Star Leads CBS Drama, LUX Alum Back at CW in Carrie Diaries and More

Fresh off of A Gifted Man‘s season (series?) finale, Rachelle Lefevre has been tapped star in the CBS drama pilot Applebaum.

Also among the latest pilot castings: a Life Unexpected alum returns to The CW, a Little Liars lady moves to Americana and more.

Based on the Mommy Track Mysteries book series, Applebaum centers on Juliet Applebaum, a former public defender (Lefevre) who becomes a private investigator to fight off the boredom that can come along with being a stay-at-home mom.

The gig is in second position (see definition) to Gifted Man, which essentially means CBS will be forced to recast Lefevre’s role should the latter get a second season order.

In other pilot news from our sister site Deadline:

• Just call him Little Mr. Big! Life Unexpected grad Austin Butler — who currently recurs on Switched at Birth — will star opposite AnnaSophia Robb in The CW’s Sex and the City prequel, The Carrie Diaries, as Sebastian Kydd, a brooding heartthrob whose presence at Carrie’s school shakes things up.

• Sarah Wright — who recently recurred on Parks and Recreation as Jerry’s daughter Millicent — has landed the lead in the NBC comedy from Hilary Winston (Community/Happy Endings). The untitled project revolves around Agnes (Wright), a shy, focused woman who, after being dumped by her fiancé, leans on her co-workers — two of whom will be played by the previously cast Mena Suvari (American Horror Story) and Kyle Howard (My Boys).

• Annabeth Gish (Pretty Little Liars/The West Wing) will play the mother of Ashley Greene’s budding fashion star, Alice, in ABC’s opulent family soap, Americana.

Which pilot castings have your interest piqued?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Linda says:

Life Unexpected grad Austin Butler
    I wonder what this means for his role on Switched At Birth.

• Idol says:

I hate him! He’s sooo ugly, and everyone thinks the exact opposite. He just took away from me the tiny interest I had on TCD! :/

• Tav says:

I’ve been getting the feeling he’s on his way out on SAB. His character has started to break away. It’s like they’ve been setting him up for leaving. It’s too bad because he brings some comedy to the show.

• Kelley says:

I think you mean Austin BASIS.

• Tee says:

I was never too crazy about him on Lux or Switched. His char and Daphne’s haven’t been clicking anyway.

2. dee says:

So let’s see if I have this right. CBS has “A Gifted Man,” a show “on the bubble” that it has neither cancelled nor renewed. CBS also has this pilot “Applebaum.”

And they just hired one of the stars of “A Gifted Man” to star in the pilot?

Doesn’t that tell us all we need to know about What CBS plans for “A Gifted Man”? Why don’t they just cancel it already, and put cast and crew out of their misery?

It’s a shame. It’s a good show. I really enjoyed it.

• Sara says:

Dee, just because something is ordered to pilot doesn’t mean that it’s going to be on the air or ever see the light of day. They order several pilots for each network and then make a decision as to what stays and what goes.

• dee says:

I fully understand that. But with all the actresses in Hollywood, why cast the star of one of your other shows if you planned to bring that other show back? You wouldn’t. The ONLY reason for them to cast Rachelle Lefevre in the pilot is if the have no plans to renew A Gifted Man.

Patrick Wilson took to his Twitter (@patrickwilson73 if anyone’s interested) a little while ago to say this:
        “I wanna be honest to the Gifted Fans. When the SAME network does this…and TODAY…then chances are we are done.”
        “this” being the announcement of casting Rachelle, and “TODAY” being the day after the Gifted Man season finale.

• Jess says:

Wow, what a bitter man. Be a little professional, dude

• dee says:

Repeat reply that didn’t post in the thread….

Since when does honesty equal bitterness? If you’d read the rest of his tweets on the subject, you’d know that he’s anything BUT bitter.

• David says:

Still, this is the same network and same production company as “A Gifted Man”. I don’t think they would cast her in second position for this pilot if they thought “A Gifted Man” was coming back.

3. Carmen says:

I agree. No mention of switched at birth. Hmmmm

4. wordsmith says:

My main fear about Gifted Man being cancelled is that it would mean Rachelle Lefevre would no longer be on my TV every week, so this news is encouraging.

• Fido says:

Amen to that :D

btw: did A Gifted Man really have anywhere to go with the relationship between the Man and Rachelle ? imho it would be kinda weird for them to get all snuggy and have the dead-wife standing in the corner ebing all “bee-arch, take yo stanky hands off of my man” (that’s what dead wifes do, right ?!)

5. mandy says:

I love Austin Butler on Switched but honestly the show could go on without him. I am not surprised to see him cast in a pilot I think he is a good actor who has been geting a lot of press lately because of his girlfriend Vanessa Hudgens. It is a smart move for the CW

6. Lambsilencer says:

Great to see Rachelle Lefevre having a back-up plan now, too. But I still like her to be able to continue on “A Gifted Man”, as it would be nice to see a second season of that.

Speaking of Austin Butler: His “Intercept” pilot got passed over, which also meant that Danielle Panabaker is without a gig at the moment. I sure hope to see her land a new series, as she is one hugely talented girl. Too good actually to be wasted in all those horror movies. But granted, looking forward to “Piranha 3DD”, after seeing her looking so fine in that trailer… ;)

7. Dee says:

8. Martina says:

If A Gifted Man doesn’t get renewed then it will be 2 in a row for Rachelle Lefevre, maybe a move to a legal drama will be better luck for her.

9. Karen Scott says:

I WILL BE BITTER if A Gifted Man ends. Hard for a Fri nite series to develop a following when CBS took it off more often than not a few months after it started due to holiday shows from Nov to early Jan! Patrick, Rachelle and Rhys became favorites ~ all fabulous and believable in their roles. I liked this show more than any in a long time. Superb work, actors…thanks.