Community Cast, Producers Feeling 'Confident' About Season 4; Plus: Scoop on That Big Death

The cast and creators of Community hit the stage at the 2012 PaleyFest on Saturday, and did their best to answer the question on every Human Being’s mind: Will NBC give the little comedy that could a much-deserved fourth season?

While it’s still too early for a definitive answer, executive producer Russ Krasnoff (who handles the business side of the show) said he isn’t worried. “The people at NBC love the show,” he shared. “So, we’re feeling pretty confident.”

Exec producer Neil Goldman, however, warned the show’s fans not to be complacent. “We need you guys again,” he said. “You’ll get to see these next 12 [episodes], but continue to spread that word and be loud. Twitter is great, but sometimes we think it’s preaching to the converted.

“I don’t know that we’ll ever be able to reach those eight families who have Nielsen boxes,” he joked, “but keep it up.”

And, echoing Goldman’s sentiments, there are 12 new episodes to look forward to (beginning March 15), which showrunner Dan Harmon promised are quite the spectacle. “I wouldn’t say [Community] got better and I wouldn’t say it got worse [in these final 12 installments], he mused. “I know it got different.”

Continued the EP, “It’s got the highest body count of any TV season that I can think of… we’ve had three or four people die so far, and there’s more to come!”

Though the brains behind this whole Community operation remained mum on whose days are numbered, he did reveal some other scoopy stuff fans can look forward to.

“We’ve mentioned before there’s a Law & Order episode — old school Law & Order — and I saw the final cut of it and it’s great,” shared Harmon. “There’s also an episode that will either the best or worst thing that’s ever happened on television…where Annie and Abed basically spend the entire episode in the Dreamatorium. And there’s one where [the group] plays a video game together… so it’s a video game episode.”

Other topics covered during the PaleyFest panel discussion:

Community‘s first episode back involves Shirley, a Miss Piggy voice and a wonderful little proposal. “I told Malcolm-Jamal Warner ‘No pressure, but I need this to be the most romantic thing that’s every happened to me,'” Yvette Nicole Brown joked.

There are some fun new study group pairings in the second half of the season, particularly between Annie and Britta, which Alison Brie said has a “sisterly vibe.” There’s also some good Jeff/Shirley stuff ahead.

Community webisodes are on the way! From March 7 to March 9, “Abed’s Master Key,” parts I, II and III will air on Hulu and Hulu Plus. Check out the trailer here and take a peek at the awesome key art below.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, PaleyFest, Scoop

1. amy says:

This panel is probably the best thing I’ve ever seen. They’re all hilarious and sweet and ugh they’re just perfect, especially Dan Harmon.

2. Jonathan says:

What happened with the Bar Mitzvah episode? Is it still going to happen?

3. Jake says:

I dont see the big fuss on people thinking NBC is going to cancel the show, especially when its ratings are practically the same as the other NBC comedies and its needs another season to hit Syndication numbers.

• MrSitcom says:

It’s already been sold in syndication for a Fall 2013 start…with or without the extra season. But obviously, more episodes would be better for any show in double run weeknight syndication.

4. Mia says:

“old school Law & Order”

4 words and an ampersand that set my heart aflutter

5. Kat says:

OMG FINALLY BRITTA & ANNIE SCENES! I’ve been waiting for them to have some friendly scenes together. I hope this Annie & Abed thing doesn’t turn romantic. I just don’t see that to be honest. Can’t wait for more Jeff/Shirley stuff either.

6. Angela says:

I saw the PaleyFest thing with them tonight online. They seem like such a cool, really nice group of people and clearly have fun with this show. I can’t wait for these episodes, I’m dying to see what happens with them and how crazy things will get. And I like the new pairings of sorts-it’ll be fun to see Britta and Annie bond, and more Jeff and Shirley interaction is never a bad thing.
    And YES. Here’s to hoping for a fourth season. I will be sure to spread the word as much as possible.

7. Anon says:

I love the show as it was in seasons 1 and 2 … Don’t change too much!! And screw jeff and shirley friendship – EVERYBODY wants Jeff/Annie storylines!!

• Steven says:

Hey. No. Jeff and Shirley is one of my favorite dynamics. I actually miss Shirley when the show’s not on.

• Ari says:

I really like the Jeff/Shirley dynamic too. They are very different and bring out some very different but very great characteristics in each other. I do love Jeff/Annie though. :)

• Luz says:

I like the scenes between Jeff and Shirley, as she said many times they’re almost the same age so it’s normal that they can relate, but I totally support you on the Jeff/Annie storylines!!!! We were promised we were going to have more of thosse two during this season.

I truly love Abed, but I hope this episode with Annie doesn’t turn romantic path, Abed is perfect as he is, he doesn’t need a romantic interest.

PS:Sorry for my english

• NotAnon says:

I am a Jeff and Annie shipper and I CAN’T WAIT for Jeff and Shirley storylines! They’re hilarious together and Yvette Nicole Brown shows she can be really funny on those episodes!

• Orly says:

Everybody WHO?

• Not Me says:

Um, yeah. I for one do NOT want more Jeff/Annie content. J/S for the win!

8. amy says:

I second that Annie/Abed thing.

9. kevin says:

Season Four sounds pretty darn good to the rest of COMMUNITY fans.

10. Community fan says:

Loved the 8 boxes of Nielsen boxes comment-very funny & also very,very true. Community-funniest comedy on Nbc. Smartly done,well-played & did I mention:IT’S FUNNY!! Hopefully more & more fans will wake up to the fun of community.

11. Sarabi says:

Fingers crossed for a 4th season!

12. Bella says:

I love that Annie and abed are getting a storyline together because if you watch any of the behind the scenes stuff you’ll know Allison and Danny are the real life Troy and Abed just YouTube their rap about two many feet.

13. Mike says:

We need troy and annie action!

14. Little Scarf Girl says:

I’m excited for it to come back! I also really hope it at least gets a fourth season. It just makes sense! Besides which, I feel like its odds for renewal are better than Whitney and Chelsea, or even 30 Rock.

15. D says:

Great, more high-concept episodes. Don’t these people have classes?

16. Bradley Stein says:

If I had to guess who was going to die (without knowing the specifics), I would say Leonard. He’s old and could die off without effecting the show in a major way.

17. Emily says:

I love this show, but every time I encourage like-minded potential fans to watch it, they don’t have an easy way to check out past seasons. Why isn’t this on Netflix streaming? That’s how most people I know watch TV now… or at least catch up. Making it more accessible for people to obsessively watch seems like good marketing to me–I’ve certainly started watching shows that way and watched the broadcasts when I caught up. You *could* watch this show cold, but it is better with at least some of the progression, I think. Anyway, six seasons and a movie!