Pilot Scoop: House's Jesse Spencer to Headline NBC Drama Chicago Fire

Jesse Spencer Chicago FireJesse Spencer is checking out of the hospital and into the firehouse.

The House actor has landed the lead in Chicago Fire, NBC’s Dick Wolf-produced drama pilot about the complex and heroic men and women of the Chicago Fire Department. According to Deadline, he’ll play Matthew Casey, a firefighter who is a natural leader when putting out fires, but in his personal life, he is a mess.

The news comes just weeks after Fox announced that House would end its eight-year run in May. Spencer’s co-star, Peter Jacobson, recently scored a recurring role in the Showtime pilot Ray Donovan.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Dani says:

Good for him! He deserves a lead role. Been watching him since he was a teenager.

• AP says:

Wish it was on another network – NBC screws everything up except sports and the Olympics. Their execs are ijits!!!!!!

2. A.P. says:

I’ve been interested in this pilot since it was first announced as there hasn’t been a great broadcast drama about firefighters since Third Watch, but it just got at least 2 times more intriguing.

3. rachel says:

he’s pretty and i like him, so i’ll definitely watch. i’ll also have my fingers crossed that NBC won’t screw this up.

4. Nancy says:

Yea! Jesse!! Love him! He’s such a cutie and a GREAT actor.
    Can’t wait for this!!

5. Saint Alicia says:

Gah! This is so awesome, now I definitely have to check Chicago Fire out (guess MLS doesn’t have the name trademarked?). Wonder if there’s any chance it might actually be filmed in Chicago (like the short-lived Chicago Code) or if NY will double for it (like The Good Wife). Anyway, good for Jesse, he’s been squandered on House.

6. Jennifer says:

I WILL be watching this show now! So glad he’s still going to be on the air. PLEASE let him keep accent!

7. kim says:

That’s awesome news! Jesse Spencer is so wonderful in House, so I bet he’ll be great in Chicago Fire. Congrats to Jesse!!

8. Sharona says:

Hooray for Jesse! Hope it’s a good show.

9. A.P. says:

I said broadcast, not cable. But yes, Rescue Me was a great show.

10. Kate says:

Yay! I was just thinking the other day that it’d be cool if he got some other show lined up right away. He’s really good and I’ll miss seeing him on House.

11. MIA says:

So awesome!!! Can’t wait!!!!!

12. LP says:

Sounds great! From sexy doctor to sexy fireman!

13. shiremaid says:

AWESOME JESSE! I will definitely be watching for any more updates about most of the cast of House.

14. ck says:

I hope the show does well, Jesse has been great on House all those years so he deserves to be recognised as the lead in another show.

15. TLG says:

So…He’s basically playing a PG-13 version of Tommy Gavin, on a family-friendly “Rescue Me”?

16. John says:

I wounder if he’ll be doing an American accent this time.

17. Andy says:

I know what I’ll be watching this fall! I’m so happy for Jesse. He’s hugely talented and they wasted his talent for so long on House. He deserves a leading role.

18. Aussie girl says:

Wow, that’s impressive news for Jesse. He certainly deserves a leading role – talented and handsome. I hope the show gets picked up by NBC. It’ll be interesting to hear Jesse’s American accent!

19. Katy says:

He’ll always be Billy Kennedy to me ;) lol

20. Denia says:

excited about Jesse but OK for me is not ready for a leading role..he always have the same look LOL Great news I wish I could see Hugh Laurie in a new series but…I wishing the best to Jesse !

• Aussie girl says:

Well, he’s been a successful television actor since the age of 15 (Neighbours and House), he’s handsome, the right age (33 – not too old, not too young), and talented (check our “Nobody’s Fault”, “Chase”, “The Mistake”…) – so I think he’s more than capable of filling a leading role. Actually, I’m surprised that he decided to take on another television role so soon after House – thought he might have done a movie instead.

21. Dany says:

Happy for him; he deserves it!

22. Rjrtist says:

Good pick for this show. Someone used there head on this one. Hope the writing is just as good.

• Kim says:

Yeah, great casting! Jesse has the right athletic look for a fire fighter and he can play drama really well. Hope the pilot is picked up … With Dick Wolf as producer (Law and Order), it probably has a great chance.

23. Cat says:

Good for him. Why does he look like a vampire in that picture, though?

24. Master_K says:

Oo my sexy, SEXY Dr. Chase is still going to be on TV… I like what I see!

25. Mina says:

Im soooooo happy he will be moving on to his own well deserved lead role show..

I will miss House :((((( and Hugh Laurie. :((((

26. Kimber says:

Good for Jesse! It will be great to see him out in front in a lead role, and he really can knock drama out of the park so this gives him a chance to mix it with some action. Glad to see he’s managed to land something new so quickly, too!

Wonder if he’ll be sublimating his accent for this role, or if Matthew Casey will be an Australian transplanted to Chicago.

27. Teach says:

Watching them film the pilot from my living room. More filming to come tomorrow. Love Jesse Spencer!