Pilot Scoop: House's Jesse Spencer to Headline NBC Drama Chicago Fire

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Jesse Spencer Chicago FireJesse Spencer is checking out of the hospital and into the firehouse.

The House actor has landed the lead in Chicago Fire, NBC’s Dick Wolf-produced drama pilot about the complex and heroic men and women of the Chicago Fire Department. According to Deadline, he’ll play Matthew Casey, a firefighter who is a natural leader when putting out fires, but in his personal life, he is a mess.

The news comes just weeks after Fox announced that House would end its eight-year run in May. Spencer’s co-star, Peter Jacobson, recently scored a recurring role in the Showtime pilot Ray Donovan.

Comments (32)

• Good for him! He deserves a lead role. Been watching him since he was a teenager.

Comment by Dani – March 2, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wish it was on another network – NBC screws everything up except sports and the Olympics. Their execs are ijits!!!!!!

Comment by AP – July 27, 2012 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been interested in this pilot since it was first announced as there hasn’t been a great broadcast drama about firefighters since Third Watch, but it just got at least 2 times more intriguing.

Comment by A.P. – March 2, 2012 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never saw Rescue Me? Though that also had plenty of humor.

Comment by Saint Alicia – March 2, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he meant network shows. Rescue Me was cable.

Comment by Jones – March 3, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he’s pretty and i like him, so i’ll definitely watch. i’ll also have my fingers crossed that NBC won’t screw this up.

Comment by rachel – March 2, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea! Jesse!! Love him! He’s such a cutie and a GREAT actor.
    Can’t wait for this!!

Comment by Nancy – March 2, 2012 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah! This is so awesome, now I definitely have to check Chicago Fire out (guess MLS doesn’t have the name trademarked?). Wonder if there’s any chance it might actually be filmed in Chicago (like the short-lived Chicago Code) or if NY will double for it (like The Good Wife). Anyway, good for Jesse, he’s been squandered on House.

Comment by Saint Alicia – March 2, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I WILL be watching this show now! So glad he’s still going to be on the air. PLEASE let him keep accent!

Comment by Jennifer – March 2, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s awesome news! Jesse Spencer is so wonderful in House, so I bet he’ll be great in Chicago Fire. Congrats to Jesse!!

Comment by kim – March 2, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray for Jesse! Hope it’s a good show.

Comment by Sharona – March 2, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I said broadcast, not cable. But yes, Rescue Me was a great show.

Comment by A.P. – March 2, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I was just thinking the other day that it’d be cool if he got some other show lined up right away. He’s really good and I’ll miss seeing him on House.

Comment by Kate – March 2, 2012 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So awesome!!! Can’t wait!!!!!

Comment by MIA – March 3, 2012 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds great! From sexy doctor to sexy fireman!

Comment by LP – March 3, 2012 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME JESSE! I will definitely be watching for any more updates about most of the cast of House.

Comment by shiremaid – March 3, 2012 02:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the show does well, Jesse has been great on House all those years so he deserves to be recognised as the lead in another show.

Comment by ck – March 3, 2012 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So…He’s basically playing a PG-13 version of Tommy Gavin, on a family-friendly “Rescue Me”?

Comment by TLG – March 3, 2012 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wounder if he’ll be doing an American accent this time.

Comment by John – March 3, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know what I’ll be watching this fall! I’m so happy for Jesse. He’s hugely talented and they wasted his talent for so long on House. He deserves a leading role.

Comment by Andy – March 3, 2012 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, that’s impressive news for Jesse. He certainly deserves a leading role – talented and handsome. I hope the show gets picked up by NBC. It’ll be interesting to hear Jesse’s American accent!

Comment by Aussie girl – March 3, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’ll always be Billy Kennedy to me ;) lol

Comment by Katy – March 3, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excited about Jesse but OK for me is not ready for a leading role..he always have the same look LOL Great news I wish I could see Hugh Laurie in a new series but…I wishing the best to Jesse !

Comment by Denia – March 3, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, he’s been a successful television actor since the age of 15 (Neighbours and House), he’s handsome, the right age (33 – not too old, not too young), and talented (check our “Nobody’s Fault”, “Chase”, “The Mistake”…) – so I think he’s more than capable of filling a leading role. Actually, I’m surprised that he decided to take on another television role so soon after House – thought he might have done a movie instead.

Comment by Aussie girl – March 3, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for him; he deserves it!

Comment by Dany – March 3, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good pick for this show. Someone used there head on this one. Hope the writing is just as good.

Comment by Rjrtist – March 3, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, great casting! Jesse has the right athletic look for a fire fighter and he can play drama really well. Hope the pilot is picked up … With Dick Wolf as producer (Law and Order), it probably has a great chance.

Comment by Kim – March 4, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for him. Why does he look like a vampire in that picture, though?

Comment by Cat – March 4, 2012 12:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oo my sexy, SEXY Dr. Chase is still going to be on TV… I like what I see!

Comment by Master_K – March 4, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im soooooo happy he will be moving on to his own well deserved lead role show..

I will miss House :((((( and Hugh Laurie. :((((

Comment by Mina – March 6, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Jesse! It will be great to see him out in front in a lead role, and he really can knock drama out of the park so this gives him a chance to mix it with some action. Glad to see he’s managed to land something new so quickly, too!

Wonder if he’ll be sublimating his accent for this role, or if Matthew Casey will be an Australian transplanted to Chicago.

Comment by Kimber – March 12, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching them film the pilot from my living room. More filming to come tomorrow. Love Jesse Spencer!

Comment by Teach – March 24, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post