Scoop: Cougar Town's Dan Byrd Cast in CBS Comedy Pilot Produced by Louis C.K.

Dan Byrd Louis C.K.Another Cougar Town star is readying a Plan B.

Dan Byrd has been cast opposite Ashley Tisdale in CBS’ Louis C.K./Spike Feresten-produced multi-camera comedy, which revolves around a group of young people trying to achieve their creative dreams in these tough financial time.

Byrd will play Fred, a bright but penniless film editor who can’t stand stupidity and serves as a sardonic observer of people and their foibles.

The gig is in second position (see definition) to Cougar Town, which essentially means CBS will be forced to recast Byrd’s role should ABC renew C-Town for a fourth season (as we all hope it will.)

Earlier this week, Byrd’s C-Town co-star, Josh Hopkins, also landed a pilot — the NBC comedy Lady Friends.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Kyle says:

Uuuhh this scares me. I hate these castings, I know it could end up meaning nothing but still… I can’t even imagine no Cougar Town

• TheBeach says:

Yep, scares me too. That’s two cast members in one week. I hope it’s just a job security safety net. Dan would be easier to lose as he could be away at college or Hawaii, Josh not so much.

2. h. says:

*we all hope it will

sorry, couldn’t resit!

3. the girl says:

My hope for CT is high but the realist side of me is saddened by this news. If CT is cancelled despite being one of the best comedies on television, it will be because of the awful way ABC treated the show this year. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that the bosses slap out of it and realize what a gem they have in CT.

• Guilherme says:

hahaha reading the end of your comment I couldn’t help but imagine myself slapping one of those bosses and saying slap out of it hahahaha #SixSeasonsAndaMovie

• Cam Shepherd says:

ABC justifiably treated this show awfully this year as when it was given the best position to succeed last year, following Modern Family, it tanked. But guess what, as much as it is a critical success, it doesn’t rate well, so don’t blame ABC for viewer ignorance and poor taste.

• Dash says:

It was rating just fine until they pulled it for Mr. Sunshine. If ABC hadn’t jerked it around for the past season and a half it might not be dying an undeserved death. I’m till hoping NBC picks it up somehow. A Community/Cougar Town/Parks & Rec block would be so awesome.

4. Mike says:

C-Town cast is such a hot commodity and I’m glad they’re getting cast but I also don’t want them to have to actually do those other jobs!!

5. JJ says:

He WILL have to be recast WHEN Cougar Town is renewed for a 4th season!! It MUST happen! Can’t imagine TV without the best comedy!

6. airhead says:

i will probably cry if cougar town gets cancelled. but i might find comfort in the fact that we would at least still get to see some of the cast on TV (but CT will always be preference #1!)

7. Rebecca Parker says:

ABC has a real opportunity to screw over the other networks by renewing Cougar Town. Hope they take it!

8. Midori says:

Let’s stop the spin here, we aren’t Fox News. When the show is canceled this year there is one and only one reason.

The lame name the creator gave the show three years ago. It doomed the show’s ratings.

• Mitholas says:

After about 2 seasons and a bit of coming down on the title, let’s just give that a rest. It’s just a title. An audience should know not to judge a show just by that.

9. Sam says:

I don’t think Cougar Town will get renewed. Those anemic ratings are just a cancellation waiting to happen.

10. Jessica says:

I have been a loyal Cougar Town fan from the beginning. I don’t think a title has anything to do with the quality of the show, and by now if people aren’t comprehending the fact that even the show runners agree it is a horrible title and they wish they could change it then I think the other people need to get over the title. On a side note, I kind of like the idea that my Cul-De-Sac crew will still be on tv even if they are on different shows, it beats not seeing them at all.

11. Martin says:

I think ABC will renew it even more so now, after hearing this news. It will be like when they renewed Happy Endings to piss off NBC and FOX when they cast Adam Pally and Damon Wayons Jr. in BFFs and New Girl. So, hopefully it will be the same as that, i know the execs love Happy Endings though.

12. Juan says:

Please ABC, renew the best comedy out there

13. Volcfom says:

A film editor who can’t stand stupidity and is struggling with the dry creative market? Sounds like the male version of me!
    If Cougar Town does get cancelled, I’ll be first in line to watch this one.