Scoop: Cougar Town's Dan Byrd Cast in CBS Comedy Pilot Produced by Louis C.K.

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Dan Byrd Louis C.K.Another Cougar Town star is readying a Plan B.

Dan Byrd has been cast opposite Ashley Tisdale in CBS’ Louis C.K./Spike Feresten-produced multi-camera comedy, which revolves around a group of young people trying to achieve their creative dreams in these tough financial time.

Byrd will play Fred, a bright but penniless film editor who can’t stand stupidity and serves as a sardonic observer of people and their foibles.

The gig is in second position (see definition) to Cougar Town, which essentially means CBS will be forced to recast Byrd’s role should ABC renew C-Town for a fourth season (as we all hope it will.)

Earlier this week, Byrd’s C-Town co-star, Josh Hopkins, also landed a pilot — the NBC comedy Lady Friends.

Comments (20)

• Uuuhh this scares me. I hate these castings, I know it could end up meaning nothing but still… I can’t even imagine no Cougar Town

Comment by Kyle – March 2, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, scares me too. That’s two cast members in one week. I hope it’s just a job security safety net. Dan would be easier to lose as he could be away at college or Hawaii, Josh not so much.

Comment by TheBeach – March 2, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *we all hope it will

sorry, couldn’t resit!

Comment by h. – March 2, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *resist.

don’t worry, the irony hasn’t escaped me.

Comment by h. – March 2, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My hope for CT is high but the realist side of me is saddened by this news. If CT is cancelled despite being one of the best comedies on television, it will be because of the awful way ABC treated the show this year. I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that the bosses slap out of it and realize what a gem they have in CT.

Comment by the girl – March 2, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hahaha reading the end of your comment I couldn’t help but imagine myself slapping one of those bosses and saying slap out of it hahahaha #SixSeasonsAndaMovie

Comment by Guilherme – March 2, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC justifiably treated this show awfully this year as when it was given the best position to succeed last year, following Modern Family, it tanked. But guess what, as much as it is a critical success, it doesn’t rate well, so don’t blame ABC for viewer ignorance and poor taste.

Comment by Cam Shepherd – March 2, 2012 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was rating just fine until they pulled it for Mr. Sunshine. If ABC hadn’t jerked it around for the past season and a half it might not be dying an undeserved death. I’m till hoping NBC picks it up somehow. A Community/Cougar Town/Parks & Rec block would be so awesome.

Comment by Dash – March 2, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C-Town cast is such a hot commodity and I’m glad they’re getting cast but I also don’t want them to have to actually do those other jobs!!

Comment by Mike – March 2, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He WILL have to be recast WHEN Cougar Town is renewed for a 4th season!! It MUST happen! Can’t imagine TV without the best comedy!

Comment by JJ – March 2, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i will probably cry if cougar town gets cancelled. but i might find comfort in the fact that we would at least still get to see some of the cast on TV (but CT will always be preference #1!)

Comment by airhead – March 2, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC has a real opportunity to screw over the other networks by renewing Cougar Town. Hope they take it!

Comment by Rebecca Parker – March 2, 2012 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s stop the spin here, we aren’t Fox News. When the show is canceled this year there is one and only one reason.

The lame name the creator gave the show three years ago. It doomed the show’s ratings.

Comment by Midori – March 2, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After about 2 seasons and a bit of coming down on the title, let’s just give that a rest. It’s just a title. An audience should know not to judge a show just by that.

Comment by Mitholas – March 3, 2012 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Cougar Town will get renewed. Those anemic ratings are just a cancellation waiting to happen.

Comment by Sam – March 3, 2012 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been a loyal Cougar Town fan from the beginning. I don’t think a title has anything to do with the quality of the show, and by now if people aren’t comprehending the fact that even the show runners agree it is a horrible title and they wish they could change it then I think the other people need to get over the title. On a side note, I kind of like the idea that my Cul-De-Sac crew will still be on tv even if they are on different shows, it beats not seeing them at all.

Comment by Jessica – March 3, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think ABC will renew it even more so now, after hearing this news. It will be like when they renewed Happy Endings to piss off NBC and FOX when they cast Adam Pally and Damon Wayons Jr. in BFFs and New Girl. So, hopefully it will be the same as that, i know the execs love Happy Endings though.

Comment by Martin – March 3, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please ABC, renew the best comedy out there

Comment by Juan – March 3, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t worry, The Middle will get a renewal. :D

Comment by rob60990 – March 3, 2012 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A film editor who can’t stand stupidity and is struggling with the dry creative market? Sounds like the male version of me!
    If Cougar Town does get cancelled, I’ll be first in line to watch this one.

Comment by Volcfom – March 5, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post