Exclusive

Exclusive: ABC's Beauty and the Beast Pilot Finds Its Beauty in Irish Actress Ruth Bradley

ABC’s Beauty and the Beast has cast Irish actress Ruth Bradley as its titular beauty, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Bradley joins the project — which is described as a re-imagining of the classic fairy tale — as the Belle-esque Grace, an embattled princess. She’ll star alongside the previously cast Darius Campbell (Hotel Babylon), who will play Shiro, Grace’s “beast” of a bodyguard, and Chris Egan (Kings) as her fiancé Gorrick.

A relative newcomer to U.S. television, Bradley’s small-screen credits include RTÉ-Ireland’s Love/Hate, ITV’s Primeval and BBC One’s Innocent. She next can be seen playing “Mary Maloney” in the ABC miniseries Titanic, which will air over four hours on April 14 and 15.

Jon Steinberg (Human Target, Jericho) is set to pen and executive-produce ABC’s Beauty, with Life Unexpected‘s Gary Fleder and Mary Beth Basile serving as EPs as well.

The CW also has a Beauty and the Beast pilot in development, updating the late-1980s romantic drama/procedural and starring Smallville‘s Kristin Kreuk.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, Pilots, Scoop

1. sara says:

Thanks, she looks amazing :)

2. sasha says:

I prefer Kristin Kreuk! She’s a true beauty and perfect for the role of Beauty

3. Ryan says:

She looks like the child of Emma Watson and Emma Roberts. Pretty.

4. TGYH says:

She’s very pretty, and I wish I could be excited, but Darius? Fml.

5. RowellE says:

@Ryan Hopefully if the show gets picked up, they’ll recast.

6. me says:

Kreuk is so much better

7. celtRP says:

She showed true talent in Love/Hate. This has just become interesting…

8. Lily says:

What is with remakes of fairytales coming in pairs? First, Snow White, now, Beauty and the Beast, whats next Sleeping Beauty?

• lion says:

actually, yeah xD apparently there’s going to be a sleeping beauty movie coming out in the near future. oh the wonder of irony.

9. Jon says:

Uh-oh, bad idea casting an unknown foreign actress, in this part. I fear this is going to go the way of the Bionic Woman casting. Totally unknown, overseas actress takes on the pivotal lead in an iconic role, is not going to endear her to American audiences, no matter how talented she may be.

10. GeekGirl13 says:

LOVE THIS CASTING!!! RUth Bradley was great as Emily Merchant in series 4 and 5 of Primeval!!!!! And I refuse to think this means no series 6 in 2013!!!!!!!

11. Hazyl Martin says:

What do you mean, but Darius? He’s amazingly good looking, has a divine voice & is a great actor.

12. Summer says:

Woah she looks gorgeous

13. Caleb says:

Ruth is a fantastic actress! She definitely made an awesome Emily Merchant and I can’t wait to see her in some new stuff! But I am curious about why there’s a Beauty and the Beast when ABC already has Once Upon a Time…?

14. Come on says:

Ruth is amazing. She’s beautiful, a good actress, and will make a great Belle. Stop trying to make Kristen Kreuk happen. She will get her own lead when she acts as well as someone like Ruth Bradley.

15. Laura says:

I have never seen ruth bradley in anything but i would choose her over Kristen kreuk
    Kristen cant act she is terrible. I love the cw but they need to stop casting her. Yes she was in the hit smallville but she the worse thing about that show. She didnt make that a hit tom and allison did. So as for beauty and the beast im with abc. Even tho i love the show being eve with jay rayn. I just cant stand her

• Visitor says:

Rubbish! KK was amazing! she was one of the best casting decisions they ever made and Tom & Kristin chemistry suppressed Tom & Allison’s (not to say that Tom & Allison didn’t have excellent chemistry, but Kristom were better! always will be in my mind and heart and KK was the best actress on SV, followed by Allison)

• AJ says:

Kristen was one of the best things about smallville, Erica durance not so much.

• guest says:

i agree with the above post. Tom and KK’s chemistry was to watch out for in smallville, but KK’s acting sucked especially before the series ended. seriously, the woman can’t act. she’s just a pretty face. so the role beauty would fit her well (looks-wise). and CW better not make her a lawyer, a cop , a politician or somebody from wall street. her acting will suck more if she were given that kind of roles. it suits her better if she were a florist, interior designer or anything artsy…

16. Melissa says:

@ Lily, it seems fantasy/mythological genre is the new rage due to vampires becoming popular again which opened the door way for others i.e on CW the vampire show then the Secret Circle show and then on ABC Once upon a Time and on NBC Grimm.

@Kreuk fans, you will get your wish on CW if the pilot is picked up.

Well lets see how this will play out between CW and ABC on their takes of Beauty and the Beast. Then again one is a remake of an old show that was done in ’87 to ’90 and the other one is a kind of a fresh idea. However, I kind of have to agree with Jon a little bit based on past shows i.e Bionic Woman, which the show did cast someone unknown to the general U.S. market audience and the U.S market tends to stick with what is more familiar to them, not always though. But then again you never know.

17. smooth skin says:

Tremendous issues here. I’m very satisfied to peer your post. Thank you a lot and I am looking ahead to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

18. Asia says:

Actually, I disagree. I am kind of disappointed that Kristin was cast as beauty. Don’t get me wrong, she is pretty and a good actress. However she has already done a show on cw. It feels like she’s a recycled actress. I sort of wish they chose someone new, especially for cw. I would like to see Kristin on a different network. I like the fact that there is two different version of beauty and the beast. The two shows should not be compared. I hope they are both good.