Alex O'Loughlin to Take Leave From Hawaii Five-0 to Seek 'Treatment'

Get More: News

Hawaii Five-0 star Alex O’Loughlin will be sitting out at least one episode of the CBS series while he undergoes treatment for prescription pain medication, our sister site, Deadline, reports.

“Alex is taking a short break from Hawaii Five-0,” the actor’s rep said in a statement, “to receive supervised treatment for prescription pain medication due to a recent shoulder injury.”

The show, which is currently shooting Episode 20, will continue production as planned. And, even though there is no word yet as to how the absence of the leading man’s Detective Steve McGarrett will be explained, the series is expected to complete its Season 2 order.

“We respect and support Alex’s decision,” added CBS Studios. “Everyone at CBS Television Studios and Hawaii Five-0 wishes him well, and we look forward to his return.”

Comments (98)

• I agree too, I don’t think people realise how easy it is to get addicted to pain medication, especially when pain itself is still present.

Comment by LJ – March 4, 2012 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Took long enough. I noticed he was looking wrong a while ago. It was really bad the last episode that aired.

Comment by Slappy san – March 5, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch Hawaii, but he has been looking terrible for a long time now. He reminded me the way Charlie S. looked when he left Two and a Half Man. This was expected. I hope CBS keeps him in rehab until he is clean.

Comment by Alyssa – March 6, 2012 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I NOTICED THAT HE LOOKED THINNER ON THE LAST EPISODE.
    THIS IS MY FAVOURITE SHOW. I WISH HIM ALL THE BEST. HEALTH FIRST
    WE WILL AWAIT YOUR RETURN

ALSO PLEASED TO SEE THAT THE EXTRA BLOND WOMAN HAS DEPARTED. JUST KEEP THE ORIGINAL 4, PLEASE

Comment by MAUREEN – March 7, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best wishes for a quick recovery Alex. I agree with my fellow Twitterers, you’ve made a huge step toward recovery and only the brave face their demons head on!

Comment by Nikki Beech – March 12, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alyssa: For someone who doesn’t watch Hawaii Five-0, how are you able to say that he hasn’t looked good for a long time. If you don’t like him that is one thing but to make statements like those just makes you look silly.

Comment by super alex fan – March 18, 2012 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My prayers are with Alex. I hope and pray he beats this. Which I have faith he will. I hope his friends and family as well as the Hawaii Five-0 family is standing by him. God bless and a speedy recovery.

Comment by Emily – March 19, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they’re not just treating him for “addiction,” but that they fix his shoulder so that it won’t be the source of chronic pain and further injury.

He’s a treasure to watch…such an expressive face. My best to him and his family.

Comment by Jacqui – March 22, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My prayers are with. Get better soon. Love you. Your the best. 5 0 is the best

Comment by Mago – April 18, 2012 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Take care of you and come back, we miss you!

Comment by Steve – April 22, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t even notice that O’Loughlin was looking different! But as many people have said, good people (though none of us actually know O’Loughlin personally) can get addicted to pain medication. Take Cho from The Mentalist. Even though he is a fictional character, he is a good cop that got addicted to pain medication through no fault of his own. He was just a person in pain. Writers get this stuff from the real world. It can happen to anyone. And every situation is different.

Comment by Meghan – April 24, 2012 06:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really miss Alex and his character, not that the others aren’t doing a great job. Hope he is able to return soon. Best of luck to him.

Comment by P Jones – May 2, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Research, research, is the key to getting the best possible keywords and key phrases for your very own web site. Track how well the keywords are promoting your product or online services. There will be no optimization of any kind without careful keyword choice and usage. Once your site gets lumped into an

Comment by Therapy – May 18, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is as important to care for your children’s mental health as it is to care about their physical health. Back in past centuries, any discussion related to a person’s mental health was automatically assumed to mean that the individual had a problem with his sanity. Today we know that such assumptions are incorrect.
    What was termed insanity may well have been a state of depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder.

Comment by Therapy – May 18, 2012 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Alex will get better very soon not only because iam a huge fan who is dieng for the new episode of hawaii five o but also because i love Alex and his responsability on tv and personly best luck to Alex

Comment by samar – September 11, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this blog very much, Its a really nice place to read and find information.

Comment by Michalina – April 16, 2013 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post