Alex O'Loughlin to Take Leave From Hawaii Five-0 to Seek 'Treatment'

Hawaii Five-0 star Alex O’Loughlin will be sitting out at least one episode of the CBS series while he undergoes treatment for prescription pain medication, our sister site, Deadline, reports.

“Alex is taking a short break from Hawaii Five-0,” the actor’s rep said in a statement, “to receive supervised treatment for prescription pain medication due to a recent shoulder injury.”

The show, which is currently shooting Episode 20, will continue production as planned. And, even though there is no word yet as to how the absence of the leading man’s Detective Steve McGarrett will be explained, the series is expected to complete its Season 2 order.

“We respect and support Alex’s decision,” added CBS Studios. “Everyone at CBS Television Studios and Hawaii Five-0 wishes him well, and we look forward to his return.”

1. Zee says:

It’s good that he seems to be getting out ahead of the problem. Usually people don’t seek treatment until they are too far gone. Best of luck to him! Love the show!

• lorna says:

Yes, congrats. I’ve only seen a few eps of s1 but plan to catch up, I love this show! Best of luck buddy, we love you!

• jamie says:

i agree with your comment some people dont get help till it to late and they die i am glad alex is getting help i hope he recovers from it fully

• nancy schiltz rn says:

I really respect that Alex O”Loughlin is taking a medical leave from the show. This is a responsible mature healthy response to a condition that requires a solution.

I am certain that many of the movements Alex preforms as Steve McGarrett are down by stunt doubles, his role requires a lot of movement and manipulation not required in everyday life.

Compliments to a man who is trying to change the way actors respond to medically prescribed drugs and their solutions.

This example should be followed and used as an example for us all, to realizae that there is a need for prescription analgesics and that lifestyles may have to be modified at times to promote a long and healthy life.

Congratulations, Mr. O’Loughlin. Was hoping to catch a glimse of you on our Hawaii trip in May. Maybe someday you will come to California.

Keep up the positive attitude and hang strong.

Nancy Schiltz

• Valerie says:

I will miss him but respect his decision to get help,and pubically admit it.

2. Linda says:

Oh wow.

3. JanK says:

Your fans love and support you, Alex! Be well and let your stuntman do more of those stunts!!

4. Lillyg says:

I wish him the best. Every fan has been wondering about his health recently. He looked like a zombie at the beginning of the last episode.

• PAT says:

I am glad I wasn’t the only one notice, he look very thin and sick in the face. I am so happy that he is getting the help he needed miss him alot and looking forward of seeing him so. Love you and take care of yourself God bless.

5. DL says:

Good for him that he’s nipping this in the bud. Takes a lot of guts to get help. I hope he gets well soon.

• Lori says:

Proud of Him and Everyone for not thinking of their wallet and thinking of the PERSON! Hope He is feeling teriffic,healthy and strong in body and mind soon!

6. TV Gord says:

Good for him to recognize a potential problem and deal with it before it becomes a real issue. Good for CBS to support him, too!

7. alex says:

I have to agree with others. Congrats to him for being aware of the problem and seeking help before its too late.

8. amanda says:

I have a lot of repect for Alex seeking treatment and allowing it to be announced publicly.

9. Amanda says:

You’ll have a different opinion when you start watching season 2 unfortunately.

10. Lorie says:

Alex, best of luck with your treatment. Please, take care of yourself. Your fans love you.

11. JWB says:

I would stay medicated if I was on that pos show. Lets hope he gets off the meds and wakes up. He’s wasting his talents.

• Les says:

Wow, what a nice and sensitive comment, jerk. If you don’t like it, don’t watch. Some of us happen to like the show.

• Rick says:

Wow…what a puke….your comments don’t make sense…you must be watching so you must like it…stand down ..

12. I FELT PAIN COMING FROM HIM BUT HE IS SO BRAVE AND SO FANTASTIC AS AN ACTOR THAT IT IS WONDERFUL HE CAN GET HELP AND RETURN..WE NEED HIM..GOD BLESS YOU ALEX…FROM ALL OF US IN TV LAND…YOU WERE TERRIFIC IN THE VAMPIRE ONE AND THREE RIVERS AND GREAT IN HAWAII 50 NOW

13. Kelsey says:

I agree with all the above. As a fan, I’m proud that Alex is seeking treatment. I hope he gets well and returns as soon as he is able. It’ll be hard to watch without Steve, but I’d rather Alex get better than risk things becoming worse. So, I’ll look forward to his return instead! I wish him nothing but the best! c:

14. John W says:

I LOVE VOMITING! BUTTS!!

• Elisa says:

Thank you, Rush, for yet another illuminating rant.

Now the decent people all wish this lovely man well. The show is entertaining, and he seems to be the heart of it. But it isn’t worth his health and well being.

15. Debs says:

I was wondering. He has been looking way too skinny for the last few episodes.

Get well soon Alex!

• angelstorm says:

Yeah I was thinking exactly the same – it just looked like he’d lost loads of weight all of a sudden !

16. Lol says:

Err. Perhaps someone can shed some light on why this “seeking” treatment is so big that his fans would say that they are glad he acknowledged and is brave to announce? Sounds like he is a drug addict going to rehab.

I swear if he tells the crazy ones to jump off a bridge, they would.

• Kit says:

That’s not nice. You’d be surprised how many “normal” people have issue with pain medication. Must be nice to be such a healthy well adjusted human being to bad that you didn’t get any empathy.

• DL says:

He’s brave because he’s doing this of his own volition, before it has become an issue that requires intercession of an outside party such as his family and friends, CBS, or worse, the courts after some sort of incident.
      Many times it takes a wake-up call before someone realizes they have a problem, and it is to Mr. O’Loughlin’s credit that he has recognized the issue and wants to fix it rather than ignoring until something bad occurs.

17. Holly says:

I wish him the best, but everyone knows what this means in Hollywood. Pain medication? He has been looking really bad for months now.
    Hope he recovers.

• Sheri says:

I read where he was injured in October — so I believe those episodes would have been aired in December, that’s about the time he started looking thinner and ill on air

Good for him for seeking help and I hope he recovers fully

• Amy says:

And I read he went to Ski on Europe on Christmas. So how could he had gone skiing with an injured shoulder and in so much pain? Makes no sense.

• Elisa says:

Um, because he was taking pain meds? Thus began the problem.
          If he never got the shoulder fixed and kept working and working out, the pain probably got worse and required more meds and, well, the viscious cycle. Shoulder injuries can take a long time to heal. TV doesn’t wait.

18. brian says:

Happens to the best of us get well best show on tv

19. Eliza says:

I wish Alex well. Hope treatment leads him to getting healthy and staying healthy.

20. joecup says:

“to receive supervised treatment for prescription pain medication due to a recent shoulder injury.” that statement doesn’t make sense… treatment for an addiction to pain medication? treatment for his shoulder? wth? i get that its prob an addiction to pain pills but that sentence doesn’t even make sense.

• Mike says:

What doesn’t make sense? He’s receiving treatment for prescription pain medication which is due to a recent shoulder injury.

• Kalie says:

They left out the word ‘addiction’. I noticed right away that the sentence doesn’t make sense. In other words, they don’t want to say right out that he has developed a problem. They’re trying to make it sound like a better situation than it really is. Anyway, I’m certainly glad that he’s getting help and I wish him all the best.

• Emily says:

Finally, someone says what I was thinking. You can’t receive treatment for prescription pain meds… pain medication is a treatment in itself.

21. positive thinker says:

I wish him the best. Addictions to drugs of any kind is a horrible thing which can happen to anyone. I truly wouldn’t wish that kind of hell on anyone. I try not to judge people because life is complicated & absolutely none of us is perfect.

22. Shawn says:

its good to see someone responsible enough to know when to seek help. best of luck

23. JD says:

At least he’s getting help, that’s a really good thing. And CBS hopefully truly has his back on this. The show isn’t the best thing on TV, but it is pretty good. I’d hate to seem them have to re-cast or do something ridiculous.

24. Chrispy says:

Maybe Jack Lord could come back and substitute!

25. Jane says:

If I was stuck on that awful show, I’d become a drug addict too.

26. kevin says:

Hope Alex O’Loughlin doesn’t want to be like Kiefer Sutherland of all people.

27. Deb says:

The first thing you have to do is admit you have a problem or rehab won’t help. Alex has done this. So he should get better. It’ll be hard but he seems to be a very strong person. He really needs to take the time off to get that shoulder healed too so he won’t need the meds. Definitely let his stuntman do more of the stunts! I wish him all the best with his recovery!!

28. Modesty says:

I love Alex but call a spade a spade: it’s treatment for prescription pain medication ADDICTION. Why sugarcoat it by leaving out such an important word? All the entertainment sites are doing this… Best of luck, Alex!

• H says:

Yea, seriously. Why the sugarcoats? If he’s man enough to admit that he’s sank low, then why the need to cover for him?

• Nemo says:

you are a loser H!! Have you ever been in pain at all in your life…? Then think about it so severe its debilitating and 24/7… !! Then knowing that your Job and many others count on you being able to perform… !!! The only relief is pain medication so you can get through the day…!!

H, I pray you never get married or have children!!! Your lack of compassion and self righteous attitude will destroy anyone in you care!!

H, you should consider this a wake up call…!! Learn compassion!!!

• Bev Kauppinen says:

I couldn’t agree more and what is wrong with all of you who are so hung up about whether the word addiction was mentioned or not. You have to be pretty thick if that quote was not clear enough for you. If you don’t like the show don’t watch and why bother wasting your time writing a comment if u think the guy is such a dope?!

29. Crystal says:

Love you to pieces,,,come back real soon,,,will miss you,,bless you,,

30. Linda N. says:

I enjoy Hawaii Five-O and the actors who are on it. Alex is a wonderful actor and person. Yes, many people do get addicted to pain medication including celebrities. My question is with his shoulder pain did he find the reason for the pain such as torn rotator cuff, bursitis, etc. Next question is the Dr. who treated him- did he treat Alex with physical therapy or did he even get a real diagnosis or just give him a RX for pain? I feel these questions need to be addressed because his fans and others are now looking at him as a drug addict. Alex, I wish you the best, get well and get back to the show as soon as you are able.

31. Joe says:

You could see that he looked beat down. The producers prob gave him an ultimatum. Glad he took the smart choice.

32. jamie says:

i think it good alex is getting help and i think he is a good actor i hope he recovers and come back to work on hawaii 5 o i think alex deserves a big hand in relizaing he needs help i wish alex well and hope for his recover from this addiction

33. K says:

Another actor screws up his life, his opportunity, his fellow actors.

• Barbara says:

Huh?? Many actors as well as non-actors have a hard time dealing with pain meds. He’s getting treatment so his life is not screwed up. As far as his opportunity, CBS is backing him. He’s not going anywhere. His fellow actors…well, more time to shine for them. However, production is ahead of schedule and they have some wiggle room. So it might only be one episode that he will miss. Think you might want to think about your generalized, pigeon hole statements before you open your mouth.

34. kirads09 says:

I wish him the best.

35. Nina says:

There’s a fine but very sharp line between drug abuse and medication addiction but why would the media bother to acknowledge that as long as it makes for a good headline? Maybe it’s not about “sinking low” like someone said, so just use your brain and think about what it might mean just for a split second, will you? Maybe it’s not the very Hollywood like “Let’s pop a pill and see what happens” but that’s how it’s made to sound like.

It’s even rude to put the term TREATMENT into quotation marks as it clearly implies that there’s much more to the story than anyone knows for sure. Maybe it’s more of a “I took pills that the doc prescribed me for a good reason and now I’m having trouble discontinuing”. Guh…

• JB says:

I agree, putting Treatment into quotation marks merely helped insinuating a hell of a lot more than is going on.

36. JEREMY says:

I am a fan of the original and this new show,and I am damned sick and tired of all the naysayers on this post.
    You’re the one’s who would vote for Michele Bachman or Newt Gingrich.

CBS already went through this with Charlie Sheen,and you see what it’s done to THAT show.

I have a suggestion as to how to save the McGarrett character and the show.

Have Wo Fat or some of his operatives make an attempt on Steve’s life;have Steve disappear while Danno and the rest of the team try to find the perps.Later on in the story,Steve RETURNS with a new face operating under a new name as part of the 5-0 team to make it seem as though Wo Fat killed him(this could bring in another actor to replace Alex if necessary).

That’s the best way to do it, if push comes to shove.

I look forward to feedback on this idea from all readers.

37. Sarah says:

There is not a quick fix for addiction. Let’s hope CBS does the smart thing and doesn’t allow him back in the set until he finishes all the rehab treatment. Just remember what happened to Charlie Sheen.
    If not, cancel the show, which won’t be a big loss, or just replace him for another actor, as a poster previously commented .
    This things never end well for anyone if they r not not done properly. Rehab is not joke.

38. Lyn says:

Oh, nooooooo! Wish him well, but the Scott Caan-centric episodes make ME seek pain medication.

39. Rosalita says:

Alex is not Charlie Sheen. He had a shoulder injury, for which he was prescribed pain medication. Pain medications are highly addictive. Your body builds up a tolerance and you have to take more and more to get any relief. It’s pretty easy to get addicted to them. Doctors hand the damn things out like candy. Good for Alex for seeking help.

40. Andrea says:

Best wishes to Alex, his co-workers, and loved ones as he moves through the recovery process. I agree with others that he seems like a very nice guy in interviews, and I’m glad he’s chosen a path toward wellness.

41. Tim says:

Another actor playing too much with drugs going into rehab. Surprise !!
    At least CBS has done the right thing taking him from the show. I think they had enough with Charlie S.

42. Lisa says:

Good luck to AO. CBS can not be happy about this though, it being so close to the season ending and the filming of the crucial episodes that set up season 3.

43. So-SoFan says:

Really? Was it his choice? Producers have a way of forcing you into taking care of out-of-control problems before the it hits their bottom line. Wake up Alex–You are cute and sexy but there are lots of people just as cute and sexy that would love to be in your position–and would not chance their co-workers jobs so selfishly.

• l says:

This has nothing to do with selfishness. If you can’t see that, you’re a moron.

• becks says:

An addict – or someone who is dependent on pain meds which is a different thing – is not being selfish. They are SICK. Its a question of empathy and I mean that for everyone not just a-list celebs.

Addiction is not easy to understand if you’ve never been there. I think you are extremely harsh. People can have lives that look perfect looking from the outside in but have pressures and other things to deal with that can’t be easily understood or seen.

I wish him all the best.

There but for the grace of god…. (Or don’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes etc)

44. JB says:

‘Uncalled for’ doesn’t even begin to describe how wrong some comments are (‘drug addict’, ‘like Charlie Sheen’, ‘exchanging Alex for another Actor’,seriously, how cold can some people be?). It does tell however, that family and friends around those who are that judgemental better never turn to them when getting into a situation they need help & support with.

Having to take prescribed pain meds always includes the risk of possible addiction. By the time you realize your body craves more and more of it, it’s already too late. Realizing it is the first step, the hardest one following reaching out for help. All Alex gets from me is RESPECT. This kind of addiction can sneak up on every single one of us. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and being judgmental about it helps absolutely no one and can only be described as ignorant.

People who never went through chronical pain and taking prescribed meds for any length of time, living with the risk of getting addicted and the possible consequences of it, should just leave a ‘get well soon’ wish and otherwise keep unqualified comments to themselves.

• Nina says:

THANK YOU for that comment! I mean… the Charlie Sheen comparison (excuse me – but that guy is MENTAL in case you forgot – in what universe would you seriously compare ANY person who’s in their right mind to HIM?!?), “playing around with drugs”, “chancing his co-workers jobs so selfishly”…?? What the actual F*** people?

45. Nadine says:

Hawaii 5 O is a great show, I wish you all the best Alex and hope you will get well soon, we look forward to your return!

46. tamilu2u says:

I agree! I’m glad he is getting help before this is a problem for him. Kodos to CBS for their support of an exceptional actor! Your fans love you and are praying for you!

47. katz says:

Hurry back we will all miss you. Your show is our favorite. My son and I never miss an episode. Keep up the good work. Kathie and Jerod.

48. bernadette says:

Good luck alex hurry get well and come on back – will miss you god bless

49. Sarah says:

I love Alex. He is my favorite actor. I have said for months that he was way to thin. I am glad he is getting help. I am not surprised he got injured the physicality of the role and stunts he does it was a matterof time before he got hurt but I read this was an injury from last season. Scott hurt his knee too last season and had the cane for a bit. All the best to him… I will be happy to assist in the recovery..lol

50. Gillian says:

Good for cbs!
    Seems they learnt their lesson with Charlie Sheen. These things should not be ignored.
    Best luck to Alex and I hope he stays in rehab as long as it is needed.