Ratings: Idol Girls Outdraw Boys, ABC Sitcoms Smiling, Revenge Flat, Top Model Down

American Idol‘s 12 female semifinalists outdrew their male counterparts, playing to a Wednesday night audience of 17 million (versus the boys’ 16.1 mil) while scoring a 4.9 demo rating. Week-over-week, Idol was up 6 percent in total viewers, yet down a smidgen in the demo.

Over on ABC, the news was generally good, with The Middle and Happy Endings enjoying double-digit surges from season lows, though Revenge matched its own lows. (I blame Ashley… just because.)

Michael Slezak’s American Idol Recap: Iron Ladies

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | Trailing Idol, Survivor inched up a bit to 10.6 mil and a 2.9. Leading out of The Middle (8.5 mil/2.6), Suburgatory (7.2 mil/2.4) saw gains of 7 and 4 percent. Both NBC’s Whitney (4.1 mil/1.5) and Chelsea (3.54 mil/1.3) were flat. One Tree Hill‘s big reveal was witnessed by 1.56 mil (up 9 percent) and dipped a tenth to a 0.7. Damn, The Actress Formerly Known as Joie Lenz can cry.

9 pm | Criminal Minds held steady with 12.5 mil/3.1, while Modern Family (11.7 mil/4.8) came closer than ever (within a tenth of a point) to matching Idol‘s demos. Happy Endings (6.2 mil/2.8) was up 14 and 17 percent, amassing its largest audience ever versus Idol. America’s Next Top Model‘s “British invasion” premiered to 1.3 mil and a 0.6, down more than 30 percent from the show’s fall opener.

10 pm | CSI led with 11.2 mil/2.6, down a few percentage points. Revenge (7.4 mil/2.4) shed a couple of viewers while steady in the demo. SVU (5.4 mil/1.6) dropped 10 percent in audience.

1. kevin says:

Modern Family & Happy Endings continues to make me :)

2. davey says:

I think some TV viewers didn’t even know American Idol was on on Tuesday, which may explain why more people watched Wednesday.

3. Ella says:

ABC is really ticking me off with Revenge. We were just on a two week break and now, we had last night’s episode…..to hold us until April. No wonder it isn’t gaining new viewers. The network isn’t even promoting it much. Annoying

• Vivienne says:

I agree with Ella. I love this show, but not sure why they feel the need to make us wait. We could forget about this series and get hooked
      on something else. Too bad, ’cause I’m really into it.

4. Fernando says:

You made it seem like Revenge did awful it’s still in 7 million, but yes I’m pissed off at ABC for making us wait a month

5. SAM says:

Why are people always so surprised and annoyed that there is a break between episodes? Seasons are usually only 22 episodes, which is approximately 5 1/2 months. Perhaps the networks should consider just running their series from September until February or January to May but until they do, a break will almost always happens in March and April.

• Jess says:

No one is saying we shouldn’t/can’t have a break, but network TV should show blocks of at least 3 or 4 new episodes in a row to maintain SOME momentum. What ABC is doing is definitely not smart!

6. Jess says:

I’m loving Happy Endings! Glad to see it improve. More dave sex dreams please! lol just kidding please no.

7. ken says:

i’m hope ‘happy endings’ isn’t a bubble show. it’s performing really well. but i fear it could have a fate similar to ‘cougar town’ which is stuck with such a crappy lead-in. plus they had that exhausting long hiatus. not good.

8. sarah says:

So happy for Modern Family

9. dot says:

Happy endings is probly the best comedy ABC has

10. lj says:

Happy Endings is my 2nd favorite show currently on TV (after Parks & Rec) and I don’t understand why ABC won’t promote it more because it is SO funny. Max the Bear had me dying last week…and this week with the cleanse. Love it all!

11. Justin says:

I loved Criminal Minds last night. It’s definitely hitting on all cylinders this season to me. Also, Modern Family and Happy Endings back-to-back, is officially the funniest hour of television, in my opinion. Both episodes had me in tears!

12. TigerNightmare says:

Just stop watching Idol, people. Please.