Hot Video: Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo Squashes Katherine Heigl Comeback Buzz

Katherine Heigl may be up for a quickie return to Grey’s Anatomy, but it would appear the feeling isn’t mutual.

In a telling exchange on Monday’s Chelsea Lately, special guest Ellen Pompeo dismissed talk that Heigl may be checking back into Seattle Grace as Izzie.

“I don’t think so,” Pompeo replied with a rather telling chuckle. “No, I don’t think that’s happening.”

In January while doing press for her action-comedy One For the Money, Heigl told TVLine, “If they want me to return for an arc, I would love to know where Izzie is now. It’s been a couple of years. I really hope she’s succeeding somewhere.”

Press PLAY below to watch Pompeo’s lively interview with host Chelsea Handler, during which she also weighed in on her many Grey’s sex partners (Patrick Dempsey included).

Loading video...
TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, News, Video

1. Kat says:

Good. That ungrateful bitch doesn’t DESERVE to come back after everything she’s said and done.

2. Pamela says:

The show sucks anyways.

• Jarrod says:

Then why are you here and why are you reading interviews from the cast about the show? Silly troll.

• Tracy says:

Exactly, Jarrod. The show is still in the top 20 programs after 8 years. Deal with it, haters.

• Jarrod says:

I know, right?
          It still manages to own Thursday nights at 9:00 after all this time. These haters really need to go.

• sarah says:

I too laugh when people comment on shows they claim to hate. They must not have much to do if read about shows and make silly comments!
            I have mixed feelings. I did like Izzie but I think the things Katherine said about the show, the writers etc were super rude and she should not be allowed back. I think that she is not the hot movie actress she thought she was and the offers are not rolling in as her last 3 movies that she was the star of (not including New Years Eve as that was an ensemble movie) have not done well and I think she realizes that she made a huge mistake and is now trying to crawl back to Grey’s.

• jj says:

why shouldn’t they comment? do you think that the only comments on articles should be gushing arse kissing ones? what would be interesting about that? i get if someone is continuously making pointless negative comments that it’s trollish, fine. but one comment saying the show sucks? that does not a “hater” make. “hater” has to be one of the most overused terms of this generation. not everyone has to love everything all the time.

• Gabriel says:

@jj – the point is basically, why would someone waste their time commenting on something that means nothing to them? I do think Jarrod could have stated it better, but honestly jj, what do you think was even remotely interesting about someone saying “the show sucks anyway”? There was no reason given for why the show sucks. Is it the writing? The acting? The time slot? The color of the hospital scrubs? What? Frankly, JJ, you and your statement are completely illogical.

• Lucia says:

The reason the show is still on the air is because it is ABC’s top rated drama. And while the number of viewers may have dropped, it has consistently won its time slot in the 18-49 demo and in the network business, that is really important. Plus its DVR plus 7 numbers are very good.

• Mitholas says:

I understand that not everyone enjoys this show, but any tv series that can produce an episode (or two-parter) like the Grey’s Anatomy season 6 finale per definition doesn’t suck.

3. liam says:

Heigl and Pompeo are very good friends so I am sure she would welcome her back. She probably wasn’t aware of Heigl’s comments and thought it unlikely she would want to return.

• Lucia says:

Pompeo would have to be living under a rock, not to know that Heigl had made those comments about coming back on Greys for an arc. Heigl said it everywhere she went, while promoting One for the Money. Pompeo probably just knows that right now, there is no place for Heigl on the show, at the moment.

4. Amy says:

Well, Pompeo’s not really saying much about Dempsey there other than her standard “we’re like brother/sister, it’s awkward” comments she has always seems to say when asked about her kissing him, but it is interesting to hear her take on the “random” men who were one nighters in the S2 SL for Meredith. Really fun interview. Thank you sharing it here :)

5. Chris says:

If I remember correctly Heigl complained when the writers made her have sex with a ghost. You’d bitch too. Having said that, she should’ve been just as picky when she raped us for $17 for the horrid One For The Money.

6. Saint Alicia says:

I suspect Shonda & company know the show has done a complete turn around from the Izzie/Denny/George ridiculousness and it would be unwise to retread old ground. Grey’s is in a good place now, no need to bring Heigl back.

7. Rax says:

BRING IZZIE BACK!!!

8. Steven says:

Here we go again – random stories and inferences about Katherine without her even doing anything. The fact is all she said is she would like to come back to do a few episodes and update Izzies story. Nothing full time. She just would like to bring some closure to the Izzies story – her departure to spend more time with her family after her adopted daughter arrived much earlier than she expected – and a lot of people were asking her if she would do return. Get over this story making. There is no bad blood between Katherine and the cast. Its just the typical “Heigl is outspoken and women must just look pretty and not have an opinion of their are a diva” in Hollywood that stinks.

9. Drew says:

Heigl probably should have been quiet about what she thought of those storylines, but she wasn’t lying. They were horrible. Everyone knew it was horrible, and I imagine that many people would be pissed if their character was at the center of such horrible plotlines. The George/Izzie story tore her character apart and removed every likable aspect of her. The ghost thing was drawn out and stupid, no matter how it ended. It was horrible writing and that is the fault of the writers. She should have kept her mouth shut. They shouldn’t have allowed that garbage on the air. So to put all of the blame on her isn’t justified. If she’s matured and changed since then, they’d be the petty ones to hold a grudge. If they don’t have any story for Izzie, fine. If it’s petty anger, that’s stupid.

• Reina says:

Denny was NOT a ghost. He was a hallucination.

• Drew says:

And ruffles have ridges.

I know. But it’s commonly referred to as the “Denny’s ghost” storyline. We all know what it means and how it ended and all of that. It was still horribly written. Drawn out. Stupid.

• Mitholas says:

I’m inclined to agree. Especially since seeing weird apparitions in non-genre shows tends to mean brain tumor anyway. It’s a trope. They ran with it too long for it to still be believable. She was a doctor herself, she should have recognised that as a sign from the get-go.

10. Jarrod says:

I understand why people don’t want her back, but I want some Alex and Izzie closure. At least gives her/us fans that before actually saying “no” altogether.
    I know for a fact that there is no bad blood between Heigl, cast members, Shonda or ABC. They’ve all stated so, then again, people lie.
    However, many cast members such as Patrick, Chandra and Justin have all said they’d love her back on. Not to mention, Katherine and Ellen are still friends. I mean, even their children have play dates.
    I think the smart thing to do would be to bring her back for the last two episodes of season 8 for Alex just incase Justin Chambers decides to leave. That way, Alex/Izzie fans can get closure and the characters can be happy together.

• Look... says:

Alex and Izzie had closure. They were in Alex’s room or something, Izzie was rambling on about how she was offered a job or had applied for a job in Tacoma and how she really wanted to make it work because her time away made her realize what a good guy Alex is. Then Alex said something along the lines of, “I know I’m a good guy now, that’s why I know I deserve better…” Closed. Frankly, if they ever put Alex back together with Izzie I think it ruins any character development he has experienced since she left. She treated him REALLY badly. He watched her almost DIE and then she just left because he was trying to look out for her. She stuck him with $200,000 worth of medical bills and then sent him divorce papers. I think what people mean when they say they want closure for the Alex/Izzie SL they really mean they want Izzie to come back so she can leave in a better light.

• Jarrod says:

It can’t really be closure if all Alex has done is mention her since she left. Examples:
        Season 6, episode 23.
        Season 6, episode 24.
        Season 8, episode 8.
        And trust me when I say there are more in the middle there, but quite frankly, it’s one of many reasons why him and Lexie broke up, why him and Lucy broke up and it’s one of many reasons why he can’t be in a relationship.
        Shonda Rhimes said herself that she planned killing Izzie off screen, but then she knew for a FACT that it would kill Alex emotionally and that he’d never recover. So, until you can find a substantial reason as to how Alex and Izzie got closure, then quite frankly, your point is invalid.

• Look... says:

In Season 6 his loss was still fresh, of course he’s going to mention her. I don’t remember any mentions past that though. Even if he does mention her, HE should once in a while! He was in love with her, they were married, they went through a very traumatic event together (her cancer), doesn’t mean they’ll end up together again, doens’t mean they should. Frankly, if all you have is whispers of Izzie to back up your argument of they need closure then quite frankly, your point is invalid.

• Jarrod says:

You can’t call out “fresh loss” after 12 episodes if they apparently “had closure” as you call it.
            It’s simple; they either had closure or they didn’t. I don’t believe they did, you do believe they did. We both have our opinions.
            I choose, however, not to believe them as whispers. Shonda Rhimes said it herself. Heigl wants to do a follow up of her character. Hell, she even left on bad terms with Meredith by saying “This was not my home. You’re just people I worked with and I can do that anywhere”. They can at least salvage her friendship with Meredith if she came back. There is a lot they can still do with her character, whether it be with Alex or not.

11. Ashton says:

Wow I’ve never seen Ellen do an interview before, she is so funny! Annd I love her shoes!

12. Mike says:

She seemed like she was drunk or something in the interview.

13. Jbee807 says:

Hey Heigl, how’s that whole movie star thing working out for you? Stay where you are!

14. AmandaNJ says:

I don’t want Izzie to return and I am not a Katherine Heigl fan but i found Ellen’s chuckle and tone rather snotty. Maybe it was a topic since she doesn’t seem to have much to talk about. She doesn’t really ever promote the show and instead talks about odd topics.

15. Erin says:

Let’s review what we learned in this intervew: Everyone she knows has been in jail. She broke machines at her place of employment to price gauge cigarettes. She ripped off her customers as a bar tender. Classy gal.

16. Ed says:

It’s hilarious when most Katherine Heigl news gets heated. SO I guess I will throw in my 2 cents.

Grey’s has not been the same since the departures of Izzie AND George. Now I just seem to watch it out of habit and nothing more. I remember the days (pre-Season 6) where I HAD TO WATCH IT, there were no ifs ands or buts about it. I was going to watch it.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is bad blood between Katherine and Shonda, which is why I think we’d see an Izzie is dead story before an Izzie returns story, the only possible way I could see it happening is if Grey’s slipped incredibly in the ratings and ABC would want to draw the previous audience back, and the way it’s looking it’s not happening anytime soon.In regards to Ellen and Katherine, they have both stated numerous times that they still talk and are in good terms.

I loved Izzie and love Katherine (since her Roswell days), so personally I’d love to see her walk through the doors of Seattle Grace. But the way Katherine ended her run, it’s not going to happen. I honestly would’ve preferred she waited out until her contract was up, and THEN leave. Obviously it didn’t go that way. I totally understand why she left, I just don’t get the manner in which she did leave. But again, that’s my opinion.

17. thesoundsfan#1 says:

i don’t like katherine heigl i didn’t like the character izzie so therefore she shouldn’t come back the show is fine without knowing what happened to her after she left.

18. Serena says:

I liked Izzie and I like Katherine but I didn’t think she would be returning. I don’t see why Ellen was even asked as its not like its up to her. I was surprised to see Ellen doing a couple of interviews. She never promoted the show much for all these years. She’s photographed food shopping and going to the gym but other than that outside of Grey’s she doesn’t do much of anything.

• Sam says:

I guess you won’t follow Ellen than cause she does plenty of intervews, always before the seasons starts and ends, and in between, and article interviews, she’s the one who promotes the most from Grey’s and of course Patrick since he’s huge in the media.

Also why not ask her? She’s in the show, I guess she heard something also she’s a friend of Katie’s.

19. double standard. says:

K.Heigl complains in the media about a storyline that was stupid, she has been blackend by the showrunner and sacked.
    Still the media treats her as the bad one.
    N.Sheridan was hit by a showrunner, said something about that in the media, and was sacked.
    C.Sheen gets drunk, abuses women, misbehaves, showrunner finally has enough, a deal is done , he gets millions, special treatment by the media, and a new show.And the media eats everything suoerstar Sheen says.
    J.Jackson on Fringe complained in the media and even said negative things about a co-star, and he gets the superstar treatment, an entire season around him, with that sacrificing the brilliant Torv and Noble and even that is not enough, he needs to make a film while Fringe is still filming, he signed his contract last year, while the rest of the cast is working hard on Fringe , from which he profits, and for which he gets the credit.
    And when he will return for the last 3 episodes, no doubt the media once again will entirely focus on Jackson again.

Double standards, women are not allowed to rightfully complain, men get special treatment.

• Ed says:

AWESOME AWESOME POST!!! ICAM!

• Lucia says:

Heigl was not sacked from Greys. She asked to be let out of her contract because she wanted “more family time.”

• Drew says:

Please. It has nothing to do with men vs. women. Seriously, Hollywood’s history is full of actresses who were grade-A b!tches and nobody cared.

For that matter, Joshua Jackson has been very supportive of Fringe. The storyline this year has not cost Anna Torv or John Noble anything, as they have both shined in their roles this season.
      I have no idea what comments you’re referring to (was it his stating that he and James Van Der Beek didn’t get along?) but you imply that he’s being given all sorts of special treatment because they let him to off to film a movie. It’s a fairly common practice. If they thought it would damage the show, they wouldn’t have let him do it. This is how television works.

20. Lizzie says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! LOVE it! haha! See, the cast and crew HATED her. She is just as annoying in person as she was in the media. Thank GOD she’s not going back.

21. Emma says:

Seeing as though Ellen has a personal relationship with Heigl and a professional relationship with Rhimes, she is probably in as good a position of anybody to have answered the will she or won’t Izzie return question. Asked and answered and of course everything is subject to change. I’m more interested in the current Grey’s cast status for next season. I guess they really aren’t going to announce anything until May.

22. Wendy says:

Can’t blame her publicist for putting the Katherine H. question on the list. All her client has to talk about is her cheating husband and overcharging customers 15 years ago.

23. Devon says:

Alright am I the only one who immediately watched this and thought Ellen was totally lying… just the way she said it seemed to me like she knows about talks that are going down but she’s sworn to secrecy! But who knows.

• Ed says:

No you’re not the only one. She had the smirk like “Even if I knew, I can’t say anything” Anybody who has watched Grey’s from beginning and reads Shonda’s interviews knows she is completely against spoilers.

24. Mendez says:

I think story wise is like for the Izzue/Alex closure arc. But personally I don’t think she deserves to go back.

25. Damien says:

Heigl totally overplayed her cards; the fact is you can’t publicly diss the show that you’re working for and then years later attempt to get back on for a story-arc. Katharine should enjoy the fact that she is probably the most successful castmember from the show and just leave it alone.

• Nicole says:

I would argue that Patrick is the most successful cast member from the show.
      In actuality Heigl is just the most exposed recently having done two or three mediocre movies.
      I’d take Sandra Oh over Heigl anyway.

26. kenichi rtanaka says:

Cast members of a television series are not privy to what the writers, directors and producers are planning. It’s all about ratings.

Ellen Pompeo is nothing more than an egotistical slob and I find it totally disingenuous that she would make this kind of comment. Ellen Pompeo is what happens when actors and actresses get too big for their shoes.