Castle to Host Firefly Reunion With Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin

Get More: Casting News, Scoop

Firefly fans, rejoice: Mal and Jayne are coming together again — on ABC’s Castle.

In his first post-Chuck gig, Adam Baldwin will be reunited with his former sci-fi series co-star Nathan Fillion on the hit ABC drama.

As first reported by TV Guide Magazine, Baldwin will guest-star in a spring episode of Castle as a “rough-and-tumble” detective named Ethan Slaughter. (John Casey would approve, no?)

Slaughter is said to show Castle a dirtier side of law enforcement, one that gives him a new, dangerous perspective on future cases that will ultimately put the mystery writer in harm’s way by season’s end.

Baldwin and Fillion also starred together in Firefly‘s 2005 big-screen foray, Serenity.

Comments (87)

• HELL YEAH

Comment by Chad – March 1, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty much my words exactly. Between this and Nimoy on BBT, I may implode at some point over the next several weeks. If so, I’ll die happy.

Comment by Annie – March 2, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh my oh my oh my!!!! i cant wait!!!!!

Comment by christa – March 1, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news totally makes my day. So glad it is finally happening.

Comment by Lila – March 1, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHINY!!!

Comment by Adrienne – March 1, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly! Also would like to add, they both look so effing young in that Firefly picture! Sheesh, has it really been that long?

Comment by Ari – March 2, 2012 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • young AND skinnier… they’ve been living the good life on the central planets for too long…

Comment by Jess – March 2, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news in the ‘verse! Con’t stop the signal!

Comment by Alyssa – March 1, 2012 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • +10000

Seriously this news just made my entire week.

Comment by Tessa – March 1, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I echo Adrienne’s sentiments: SHINY!

Comment by TrulyRoxie – March 1, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yeah, this is just about the best casting news ever, and it put an enormous smile on my face, but…could we have Summer Glau on Castle too?

Comment by raven – March 1, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No power in the verse can stop my excitement!!!!!

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – March 1, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shun-sheng duh gao-wahn! Can’t believe this is finally happening!!!!!

Comment by Browncoat – March 1, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah its like Gao yang jong duh goo yang (Motherless Goats of All Motherless Goats) Best news ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Browncoatno2 – March 2, 2012 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Castle Powers That Be,

Find a way to keep Adam!

Sincerely,

Me

Comment by Kim – March 1, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agreed!!! :)

Comment by Doc_Harley – March 2, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed indeed!

Comment by Jackie – March 2, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s make Adam Baldwin the new “Captain” at the Precinct. I’m so not liking this new captain and it has nothing to do with the actress. They just haven’t done anything with her.

Comment by Bridget – March 2, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Signed by all the browncoats.

With a name like Ethan Slaughter, they can not possibly only have him in for a single episode. TPTB must find a way to keep him now that Chuck has finished.

Comment by Scott – March 2, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! let the fun begin. These two play off each other so well. I cannot wait until Adam lands a full-time gig again. I miss seeing him light up my tv screen each week.

Comment by Ali – March 1, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stop the Serenity :)

Thank you, Castle TPTB for FINALLY doing this. So pumped :)

Comment by Alyssa P – March 1, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I swear my heart skipped a beat =D=D

now, if only they started talking about bringing Jewel, Alan, Sean, Morena…
    well, girl can dream…

Comment by Mari M. – March 1, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does this make the producers of Castle?
    Big Damn Heroes, that’s what!

Comment by Les Ismore – March 1, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be in my bunk…

Comment by Jayne fan – March 1, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s about time they got someone from Firefly on the show. I expect multiple references. And honestly, it doesn’t really matter what they do, my ridiculous amount of love for Firefly will make me love the episode one way or another.

Comment by The Nameless One – March 1, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t recall one of the Halloween episodes when Rick was rockin’ the Browncoat and tightpants?

Comment by Andy – March 1, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What about the “I was aiming for his head” line in Boom?

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – March 1, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And when Castle speaks Chinese.

Comment by Lisa – March 2, 2012 02:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • or 2×2 hands of blue

Comment by amanda – March 2, 2012 04:50 AM PDT
  • Sweet – that will be cool.

Comment by tim – March 1, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH YEAH!!!!! THIS MADE ME DAY!!!!

Comment by Ella – March 1, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1 down 4 to go… :))

Comment by Krissi G – March 1, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whoops meant 7 not 4!

Comment by Krissi G – March 1, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!! I love Castle, I loved Firefly, and I already miss having Adam Baldwin on my tv every week. High five, internet!

Comment by Other Meredith – March 1, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Unleash The Casey!

Comment by TJCrinc – March 1, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Respectfully, I hate to mention but Baldwin has been the kiss of death to TV shows ( except CHUCK ) .

–Angel ( after one season in a season where it was at a creative high)
    –Firefly ( creatively a great show 1 season)
    –X-files ( at the end of season7 introduced-season 8 was the shows final)
    –Stargate?

sorry… just a joke , but you can’t help noticing a trend.

Comment by kevin – March 1, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You realise, the same can be said (and was said) about Nathan Fillion?

Comment by dfsf – March 1, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You realize that Adam played Colonel Dixon in Season 7 of a show that went on through 10 full seasons AND had subsequent TV movies, right? Hardly the “Kiss of Death” if it happens 3+ years later. (Not to mention this very minor character appeared in at least 3 tie-in books.)

Same could be said for Rohrer. 9 seasons of the X files (not the 8 commented above) and we all know damned well it was doomed before season 8 & 9 even aired.

Yes, Adam has mentioned this “curse” on numerous occasions himself (so you’re hardly the first the point it out)…but with the success of Chuck (in no small part due to Adam, IMHO) I feel confident in saying that this jinx has been broken.

Yay for the guest spot, but I’m hoping for something more permanent to see Adam on my TV weekly.

Comment by Bug – March 1, 2012 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did not know he mentioned this too, which makes it funnier to me.

I could’ve been clearer, I meant to address some of the squealing fans that think he should be a reg on Castle. ( which as much I like the guy…h’e doesn’t really fit the show IMO )

Comment by kevin – March 2, 2012 05:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You realize that Angel was cancelled prior to his casting right? I am fairly sure that he didn’t start until a couple of episodes after the cancellation notice went out.

Comment by Dash – March 2, 2012 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • False.

Adam was on the show before then . he was on the show by mid season, and fans were calling to save the show based on the strengths of the show at point. He had been CAST well before that.

I like the guy as an actor, I made an joke and observation. calm down abit buys.

Comment by Kevin – March 2, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jayne is a girl’s name.

Comment by Lex – March 1, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, Jayne ain’t a girl!

Comment by Christa – March 2, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The hero of Canton, the man they call Jayne!

Comment by Shane – March 2, 2012 03:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longtime Castle fan myself & absolutely loved Firefly. It should be lots of fun! Adam and Mal ,er, I mean Nathan together again. Yes, there have been references to Firefly before( such as the Halloween episode) but finally a Firefly member is actually on the show. Hopefully,in the future we will also get Jewel, Summer,and,so on and so forth. I’m greedy:I want everyone back with Mal. Thank you.

Comment by jennifer – March 1, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo, sweet serenity! I’m looking forward to it! :D

Comment by K W – March 1, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *sorry, I meant a Firefly member besides Nathan of course*

Comment by jennifer – March 1, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Browncoats, UNITE!! Our mission – Watch. This. Episode! Let’s reward whoever arranged for this reunion. Hopefully the increase in viewers results in Adam sticking around for a while.

Comment by Tor – March 1, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOO!! Love this news. Firefly fan FOREVER. :)

Comment by Mikaylah – March 1, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sah-weet :D

Comment by Tusk – March 1, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can’t stop the signal…
    :D

Comment by localboy – March 1, 2012 11:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just made the weirdest noise
    I’m so excited :D I’ve been waiting for this for ages. I hope they put loads of firefly references in that episode, too. Next I hope either Summer Glau or Alan Tudyk guest stars

Comment by Rachel – March 2, 2012 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About frakking time!!

Really stoked about this!!!

Comment by Philippa Chapman – March 2, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! I’m gonna watch my first ever Castle episode! Off to wikipedia to catch up!

Comment by Pepper – March 2, 2012 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds like the PERFECT opportunity for a Castle spinoff!

Comment by Shane – March 2, 2012 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it sinful to feel this good? If so-I don’t care-even if: As Mal himself would say:”I’M GOING TO THAT “SPECIAL HELL”

Comment by jennifer – March 2, 2012 04:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • \o/

Comment by Ace – March 2, 2012 05:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!!

Hope to hear that Jewel is next to guest star!

Comment by kay – March 2, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOO HOO…great news. Hopefully the other firefly castmates will make appearances as well. ;) :D Can’t wait to watch this episode. :D

Comment by Vannesa – March 2, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can hardly wait! I hope he’s a recurring character.

Comment by Bella – March 2, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! I have been waiting for this!

Comment by Kristina – March 2, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • <3 <3 <3 :D

Comment by E – March 2, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A new love intrest for Kate?????….I hope he gets a recurring role…as the new boyfriend…In your face shippers!
    AB is awesome….Col.Casey report for duty!!!

Comment by Castle Rules – March 2, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Adam, mainly from Chuck, but in no way can he be Kate’s love interest. The age difference between them would be too much (he can actually play her uncle!), plus she’s madly in love with Rick already.

Comment by Audrey – March 2, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I first read Alec Baldwin and went YUCK! Then I realized it was Adam Baldwin and went YAY!

They should totally make him a recurring character.

Comment by Mickey – March 2, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “A VERY FUNNY, VERY HIP, VERY TERRIFIC SCI-FI SHOW.”- The New York Post

Comment by jennifer – March 2, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be in my bunk

Comment by Jerri – March 2, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok, i will be watching this episode of castle for sure.

Comment by murley – March 2, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • John Casey would definitely approve of the name!! Oh, I can hear his satisfactory grunt coming…

Comment by Yay! – March 2, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love FIREFLY, but hate CASTEL
    Kind of 50/50 good news…..

Comment by J – March 2, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, loved FIREFLY! Hihihi!

Comment by J – March 2, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post