American Idol Recap: Season 11's Top 13 Are...

The moment we’ve been waiting for since Scotty McCreery’s confetti shower back in May 2011 finally arrived Thursday night: The Season 11 Top 13 announcement/Wild Card episode!

Below, find my pithy reactions to the biggest news that’s happened to Fox’s reality franchise since Kris Allen’s “The Vision of Love” hit YouTube.

But first, can we discuss Jimmy Iovine? Yes, folks, the Interscope honcho, dressed as usual in his 15-year-old nephew’s “dopest” duds, is back this season. And on Thursday, he was employed as a bracing tonic to the judges’ “everyone gets a gold star!” critiques, a ghastly ghoul to toe the soulless record-industry party line, and a killer of suspense. (Indeed, over the course of the show, Jimmy gave his own pre-recorded critique of each member of the Top 25, and every time he expressed that he loved a contestant, that person made it through to the top 13). Among his more eye-popping/astute/hideous remarks:

* He’d sign Phillip and Jessica on the spot, and considers the latter singer “the one to beat.”
* He found Aaron to be “cheesy” and “Don Cheadle”-ish.
* He likes Joshua but doesn’t want him to turn into “Sister Act 3.” (Um, offensive much?)
* He gets Heejun’s shtick, but doesn’t think the show should be turned into American Comedian. (In the night’s best moment, Ryan asked Heejun what he thought of Jimmy’s comments, which resulted in this hilarious response: “Who’s that?”)
* Erika shows “great restraint,” Jimmy said, and that’s a quality Idol is too often missing. (Truth!)
* He could listen to an entire album of Jermaine’s voice (I don’t believe that for a second); thinks Deandre desperately needs a coach (very true), and would like to change Idol‘s rules so Eben can audition again in a few years (blasphemy!).

Gah! Jimmy is the worst, isn’t he? And yet he was also correct about 90 percent of the time on Thursday, so he’s also kind of the best. I mean, seriously, if these kids are going to have any real hope of succeeding, they’re going to have to be confronted by some of the ugly, un-sugar-coated truths of the music industry, not just be judges on a scale from “That was beautiful!” to “Beautiful just gave birth to a little bundle of beautiful!”

And with that, I’m going to cut to a rundown of how the Top 13 got built, along with my first-impression responses to each bit of news:

Voted Through By America into the Top 10!
Phillip Phillips: Smart going by Uncle Nigel to get the least suspenseful announcement out of the way first.
Jessica Sanchez: And the pimping of Jessica “the one to beat” Sanchez begins, but girls need all the help they can get on this show, so I’ll put the kibosh on my kvetching.
Hollie Cavanagh: Oooh, Jessica, watch your lunch, girl! Hollie’s got her eye on it!
Joshua Ledet: God himself would’ve smote the Idoloonie nation had Joshua been eliminated tonight. And seriously, Jimmy Iovine can eff off with that Sister Act 3 comment.
Heejun Han: Personality prevails! But if he keeps mocking Jimmy, I could get aboard this train for a spell.
Shannon Magraine: Uff da. She seems like a sweet kid, but honestly she was about as interesting as lukewarm tap water on Wednesday.
Skylar Laine: HERE’S YOUR ONCE CHANCE, SKYLAR, DON’T LET ME DOWN!
Elise Testone: Did Jimmy just say he’d like to hear Elise perform some of her own material? Could that be a hint that original songs night — or songs written with the help of A-list writers night — is coming?
Colton Dixon: And see, Uncle Nigel? His sister is happy for him!
Jermaine Jones: He seems like such a sweetheart that it’s almost impossible for me to say how I can think of at least five other singers from the Top 25 more worthy of a spot in the finale. (Hey, also, whatever happened to Cortez Shaw?)

Eliminated!
Jeremy Rosado: BOOO, America! (But methinks J.Lo is gonna give him that Wild Card.)
Chase Likens: I have already forgotten him.
Hallie Day: I’ve got this feeling they’ll let her sing for her Wild Card life, then send her to the guillotine anyway.
Brielle Von Hugel: True confession: It is possible I could grow to like this girl over time, but as far as the Wild Card goes, as Aretha once sang, “there ain’t no way…”
Adam Brock: True confession: White chocolate (the food) has never made any sense to me.
Chelsea Sorrel: Poor dear had about as much chance as I would in a Welterweight boxing match.
Baylie Brown: True confession: I will always wonder what might have been with this one.
Aaron Marcellus: I hate to ever agree with Shrimpy McSourmug, but yeah, he was seriously overrated by the judges on Tuesday.
Creighton Fraker: His “True Colors” was definitely among the five best performances on guys’ night, but man he pulled some annoying facial expressions when he was mugging for the camera tonight.
Reed Grimm: Even if you voted for the guy, you have to admit it’ll be nice to not hear Randy breaking out the Casey Abrams comparisons all season, right?
Erika Van Pelt: Blasphemy! If she doesn’t get a Wild Card I’m gonna send a strongly worded Tweet to @YO_RANDYJACKSON!
Haley Johnsen: Wait? She has no regrets? Srsly? She obviously hasn’t had time to watch back her Wednesday night catastrophe.
Jen Hirsh: Her family owns a vineyard, so hopefully she can chardonnay the pain away.
Deandre Brackensick: They are so gonna give him the Wild Card and take it away from Jeremy, when really Jeremy should be taking it from Jermaine. And yeah, I’ll probably be referencing Jeremy well into April.
Eben Franckewitz: If he gets the wild card I will “set fire to the staaaaage, watch it burrrrnnn…”

Wild Card Peformances
Jen Hirsh, The Beatles’ “Oh Darlin”: A pedestrian, occasionally screechy opening half, followed by an awesomely breathy high note on the word “die,” and a massive closing note. Muted response from the judges — “it was good” — makes me think she’ll soon fall to Erika (who really deserves some quality time with the Idol stylists).
Jeremy Rosado, Carrie Underwood’s “I Know You Won’t”: Not a great start, but that last note was so amazing, it made me cry a little bit.
Brielle Von Hugel, Adele’s “Someone Like You”: She hit a couple rough patches, but I felt it more than Jen’s performance. I just wish she’d extended that tender moment toward the end, and dialed back on the power growl.
Deandre Brackensick, “Georgia on My Mind”: Missed opportunity to sing Willow Smith’s “Whip My Hair.” (I kid, I kid!) Seriously, that was wretched excess piled on top of ridiculous runs, but he’s got a killer voice, and if he learns to use it, he could actually go very far.
Erika Van Pelt, Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory”: That was so electrifying, I almost forgot to update this blog post! She might’ve botched a note or two, but who cares? When a grown-up vocalist feels every note and every word of a song — and the song is good — everybody wins. (On a petty and unrelated note to Erika, when your BFF said you’d be able to re-use your bridesmaid dress someday, she didn’t mean on Idol!)
Reed Grimm, Bill Withers’ “Use Me”: Ugh. An insufferable souffle of self-indulgence, vocal tics, shout-outs to the audience, and general foolery. I hope J.Lo meant it when she said they wanted to give him “one more chance” to show his stuff to America. Let’s leave it at this, please.

Judges Picks to Round Out the Top 13
Randy: Erika Van Pelt (HELL YEAH!)
J.Lo: Jeremy Rosado (Can I get an AMEN?)
Steven: Deandre Brackensick (Woohoo! I have to put my rage back in the closet and store it for Season 12!)

Well there you have it! One of the most evenly matched groups of finalists in Idol history. Honestly, I feel like at this point in the season, 9 or 10 of these contestants still have a legitimate chance to win Season 11. And that’s pretty exciting — even with a Stevie Wonder/Whitney Houston theme next week. (Oy!)

What do you think? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Mike says:

Can we make Jimmy a judge? Finally some honest feedback.

• Ben says:

Jimmy IS a judge. Just, you know, actually in the forumt hat the contestants need it, instead of live on tv where it is utterly irrelevant.

• Jason S. says:

No the judging on the show is not irrelevant it is a huge part of the formula of the succesful TV show. Simon’s original vision of the show was to have real criticism from the record label’s point of view! Jimmy is proving to be as adept as Simon at pointing out the riddculata of the performances in a real world situation. If I were Nigel I would give him the fourth chair as soon as next week. If he wants a chance at keeping the ratings from sinking any further a change needs to be made. It has even started to lose against it’s direct competition NCIS and Big Bang Theory.

• cjinsd says:

I wouldn’t give Jimmy the fourth chair, I’d give him Randy’s chair. Randy is useless and doesn’t have an original thought in his head. I cringe every time he opens his mouth.

• Stephie33 says:

AMEN! Jimmy’s feedback was the most honest of the whole week! Except for Slezak’s of course.

• Leila says:

Bingo!

But unfortunately they will stick with his role as “coach” prior to the performances.

• RTW says:

Jimmy Iovine is the voice of reason. Not only does he comment on the performances, he questions the “judges” motives. Example: Aaron Marcellus gave a completely bland performance and he gets a standing O; if he was that stellar, he would’ve made the top 10 or chosen for a wild card spot – Jimmy was right to call them out on that. I feel like we need to stop referring J-Lo, Randy and Steven as judges but TV personalities only. Jimmy isn’t right all the time, but he’s like the last hope of any kind of relevancy on this show.

• Cheryl says:

My thoughts exactly!! And that’s been my opinion for a long time now. Actually, they could save a lot of money if they just got rid of all these judges. They are all pretty useless…and a waste of space. Bring on Jimmy and anyone else who can actually give concise, useful critiques!

• Luna Maya says:

I know who should replace Randy : That vocal coach from hell (from Las Vegas episodes)

• Ben says:

It may part of the formula of a successful tv show, but by the time Simon left people were saying how bored of him they were and clamoring for his head. People forget so quickly. The judging is irrelevant though, it doesn’t help the contestants and it doesn’t guide the viewers, either. It just gets in the way. Scrub the after-performance critiques altogether, and make the performances longer.

• Francesca says:

I agree that Jimmy is a judge – and that he and Nigel made a lot of these decisions for the judges.

• Ali says:

I second that, I was so relieved by his honesty and most of it was very spot on. (No more Adele, exactly! Eben, too young not ready, precisely! Deandre and Hollie. have great potential with the right guidance, yes!) Come on Slezak, you can let slide his Sister Act 3 comment against one of your faves for the sake of having at least one source of constructive feedback. I could’ve sworn you had expressed concern yourself about Josh edging into Jacob Lusk territory, no?

• TheBeach says:

Actually, I thought the Sister Act 3 comment was perfect.

• Tarc says:

Personally, I don’t get the appeal of Erika Van Pelt. Her judges pick was lame – all the praise just mystifies me. I’d have taken Jen Hirsh in a heartbeat over Erika.

• jaxguy says:

I completely agree.

• jennrae says:

Jen’s choices were all wrong. Adele should be the only one singing Adele songs, but particularly when Elise was bound to, and did, school her in the pimp slot. And then “Oh, Darlin!” You need some grit in your voice to keep both songs from losing what makes them so special. I would have rathered she choice whatever the current equivalent of Gershwin is, or “Over the Rainbow”-like, without actually being “Over the Rainbow,” of course.

I’m glad they didn’t waste a spot on Brielle since her mother would’ve gotten her voted out next week, and I echo the dishwater comment re: Shannon, and Jimmy Iovine’s criticism of her getup. It’s what nice girls want to wear to the prom, or their wedding, like a princess–when she really needs to slut it up and do something about that hair if she wants to get very far.

Also, I get that it’s a singing competition, but it’s also kind of like competing to win the lottery, and I have a hard time rooting for someone who owns a vineyard or has a daddy who was a pro baseball player to win the lottery.

• Nedsdag says:

I thought Erika sounded good, but I still confuse her with Elise.

I do not have a vestige interest in this season, and frankly, as bad as The X Factor was, I felt more invested in last season’s XF contestants than this seasons AI contestants. It’s as if everyone this season was given a gold star or a ninth place trophy for trying. I want to be proven wrong by this season’s AI finalists (I am talking to you, Jessica Sanchez).

• Joe says:

The more I saw of Jen the less I liked her. Her voice was thin in tone. It’s powerful, but thin sounding. It seemed like she used up everything in her bag of tricks during the Hollywood rounds and by the time she got to the live shows she had nothing else other than a pretty bland vocal. She went from one of the favorites to an afterthought in a couple of days because her performances did not light up the stage. Singing the same song as Testone really killed her chances. She should have fought that tooth & nail when it happened but I think she didn’t want to be the one to back off from it first.

• Gorm says:

Agree that the Sister Act 3 comment was spot on. A has been pointed out, Jacob Lusk took it all the way there when left to his devices, he was outright righteously condemning the audience if they didnt like his Man In The Mirror performance, It all got too preachy and too swept up in gospel affectations. Jimmy called it perfectly with Joshual Ledet. If, and only if, he stays on target towards pop marketablity will he succeed.

• freedom says:

I don’t see much difference between Michael S. openly stating that Joshua shouldn’t go down the Jacob Lusk path, and what Jimmy Iovine said about Sister Act 3. The two comments are essentially saying the same thing. Iovine was snarkier, but it is the same concern. Jimmy wants Joshua to be successful and this is a show where Country Singers and WGWGs are dominating.

• Kiki says:

I did, too!! Spot on!!

• Leila says:

I blame the parents for encouraging those kids to try out so young. Why don’t you wait until your child is at least out of high school? History shows us what happens to child stars, and it’s not usually pretty.

• brandy says:

YES. I’ve been saying this for a year now. He is completely what that panel needs. Someone to disagree with them and say what people at home are thinking. (And his opinion actually matters to these kids if they want to succeed after the show.)

• bill says:

Absolutely ! It was great to hear Jimmy’s comments but they have less value when heard after the voting .

• corey says:

please

• Kaddy1 says:

Did the 3 judges show a little ego bruisation when Jimmy smacked ‘em down?

• TheBeach says:

They sure needed to be smacked down. He was so correct to call them out on their trying to every contestant over-kill every song. When Jimmy said there was already too much over-singing on Idol and that they needed to pull back instead of encourage more, I stood and applauded.

• Leila says:

Yes, J. Lo was livid.

• somebody says:

Yes I was so glad he gave them a smack down.

Part of me likes to think he was disgusted by what they pulled on Haley last year but I’m probably reading too much into that.

The show has lost all credibility due to the judging panel. And half the time what they say doesn’t even match their reactions while they are listening.

Again I won’t agree with everything he says and will disagree strongly at times but hey not everyone will always agree on subjective stuff but overall what he says generally seems reasonable. He commented on 24 singers last night and I only strongly disagreed with him one time and only to a partial degree another time while the judges nonsense just makes me wanna hurl, after last year I just can’t even tolerate them for a second any more.

• jj says:

Jimmy needs to be the ONLY judge. He seems to be the only one grounded in the reality of what the biz is. Acerbic like Simon, but with much more insightful comments. Why can’t any of these reality shows get judges to say these kind of things? They are so worried about being entertaining… Hello? The VOCAL TALENT should be entertaining, not the judges!!

• Stephie33 says:

I agree a bazillion 1000% percent!!!!

• marie says:

The coaches/judges on The Voice are very entertaining: both contestants and judges can be entertaining.

• somebody says:

To be honest, unless they do that I simply can’t watch any more. I skipped everything until Hollywood week and now I think I may skip the rest of the season, maybe flip in to see a few people each week and then go do other stuff, at most.

• AJ says:

IKR? It felt amazingly refreshing to finally here someone tell the TRUTH about these contestants. I don’t think I could’ve taken an entire season where these contestants got nothing but constant praise. They need criticism, seriously how else are they gonna improve? And for once the top 13 is actually the deserved top 13, save for maybe swapping Shannon with Jen or Baylie.

• somebody says:

I’d keep Shannon but swap Sklyar for basically any of the others. Baylie is fine. I would have liked to see her get the shot instead of Jen just since Baylie went out in such an unfortunate way overcome by nerves, sad to go out that way, feel bad for her. Even if she still went out at least with the save me maybe she could left it all out there properly.

• Tim says:

+1 million

• kellybelly says:

I am SO happy with the top 13! And the Top 10! I could not believe that America voted in the right people! It was completely and utterly amazing. My husband and I couldn’t believe what we were watching. We had to check to make sure it was still AI. No fodder. No contestants forced down us, who shouldn’t be. Actual singers. Actual contestants that can perform. Amazing.

• somebody says:

+infinity
      I didn’t agree with everything he says but at least the better part of it by far, something that I can scarcely say about what the judges have to say. Also note that he pretty much predicted the entire top 10 other then Heejun while the judges appeared to be way off.

2. karenb says:

“Vision of Love!” whoop!

3. Erin says:

So bummed to hear about Hallie and Jeremy. Hopefully one and/or both of them get a shot in the wild card.

4. Jessica and Hollie deserved a spot as does Phillip. I’m nervous about the judges’ wild card picks. Who knows what they will do.

5. Erika says:

I’m ecstatic Hollie and Jessica made it. I voted for them last night. I’m also really happy Chase and Brielle got cut.

6. Debby says:

So far so good…Brielle….so glad she’s gone, she will never be a big star, shes far too up herself…

7. YowzaPowza says:

Jeremy? WTF? He was the best of the night. Best voice of ALL the guys. So stupid.

8. karenb says:

Wow. Puttin the Go in Gokey so soon?!

9. Ben says:

White Chocolate never made sense to me, either.

• Mark says:

Talk amongst yourselves… I’ll give you a topic.

White chocolate is neither white…. Nor chocolate… Discuss.

(OK, it’s sort of white. But it’s definitely not chocolate. You can look it up.)

• just saying says:

That’s actually why i like white chocolate. It’s only made with the cocoa butter as opposed to “real” chocolate which has the cocoa bean. I’m not a chocolate fan, so white chocolate is my only equivalent to real chocolate. If you like real chocolate, you don’t NEED to like white chocolate. Leave it to those us who do. That is all.

• Gail says:

I was so sure that White Chocolate would make it through. My husband and I both thought he was good. I’m not sure I like some of the ones that got through, were picked because of talent, they were picked because they were hot. The judges in my opinion didn’t make the best choices either. I think Reed made a bad choice in his song tonight. It did not show his real talent.

10. Sasha says:

I really dislike Brielle referring to herself in third person

11. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Skylar is so short, especially next to Shannon. Just pointing it out.

12. Voiceofreason says:

YES HEEEEEEEEEEJUN!!!!!!!!!!

13. Tim says:

Shannon and Skylar? Barf. Elise better be the last one.

14. Debby says:

Sorry, never been a fan of Heejun…dunno why, he just irritates me….but might be proven wrong…lets see….

• Templar says:

I know he’s a joker, but sometimes Heejun gets a look like he’s about to go postal. I hope that’s just part of his schtick.

• Tarc says:

Yeah, Heejun wouldn’t have made Top 24 in my world. I’d have added Reed, if only for the ‘what will he do this week’ factor. Oh, and his amazing _ss.

• Gorm says:

I am so glad to not live in your world. Here in mine, where I know I’ll never see Reed Grim’s crazy eyed grin break out into skitchy dancing and a scat breakdown. I know he wont be showing up as a guest on the finale. I know that I’ll never see or hear him ever again. And, in my world I get to be amused by the Heejun & Phillip Phillip’s Most International bro-out hoedown.

Also in my world that Danny Gokey clone (and his inner large black woman) are also gone for good.

Its a wonderful place my world, come, visit then stay a while. Its a long season from here on out.

• Tarc says:

Clearly, your world isn’t for me – though Phils *is* awesome and White Chocolate really did have to go (if only because of his nickname). As I mentioned, Reed wasn’t going to last, but he was looney, ADHD enetertaining.

15. Lisa says:

Hope Hallie gets another chance. Elise better make it.

16. Chmarin says:

Ugh, Shannon – BARF. Almost as fake as Taylor Swift.

• Voiceofreason says:

More like Shannon MIGRAINE

• jj says:

THIS. I’m sure she’d be thrilled to be compared to Taylor Swift as would many other young girls. But Taylor, personally, makes me throw up in my mouth a little. And then i have to still swallow it back down which makes it taste just that much worse.

17. xof1013 says:

I’m shocked at how right America’s gotten it so far – only 45 mins in.

18. BOO says:

Phillip Phillips was not a surprise…. Wild cards shall prove interesting

• Debby says:

I agree….but lets hope the judges pick those that can sing and perform and bring something different to the table….

19. jhgebel says:

I don’t get shannon…. these three guys are gone..reed, creighton, and aaron

20. shelbybb says:

I agree with Jimmy – tell it like it is!

21. Lisa says:

Aaron should have picked something more current…

• JudyVee says:

Yeah, I actually really liked this guy, really liked his voice. But his song choice doomed him. Having said that, this is one of the (the?) best group of singers going into the Top 10/11/12/13 that we’ve seen. (And Iovine’s comment seemed spot on to me.) Way to go, AI – this might be worth watching after all!

22. David says:

Thank God for Jimmy Iovine. I’d rather hear his honesty than the phony input from the three “judges” any day of the week. And if Grandma Steven says “beautiful” one more time, I’m ready to throw something at him.

• Debby says:

Let me know when I will throw a brick at him as well…getting to be rather annoying…

• Debby says:

Beautiful comment man…beautiful…LOL

• RTW says:

Jimmy for President! My gosh, every time he speaks it’s like ttthhhank yyyyou, thanks for returning people down to Earth.

• Ultra Venia says:

He says it so much I’m beginning to think he’s a major stockholder in Estee Lauder….

• forrest says:

Glad to see / hear Jimmy L./ His comments just on the result show (for the rest of the season?) will have no effect on the voting then.
      I forgot his commentary only effected the following weeks if Ryan brought it up after the fact. Obviously I’ve forgotten the format adopted by Uncle Nigel since returning as Executive Producer.

23. karenb says:

“Faux” white chocolate

24. Lisa says:

Anyone but Eben, please.

25. Joseph says:

Not seeing how DEANDRE BRACKENSICK will not make it based on his Working Woman song , but I really want Colton Dixon in the mix also.

• Ablo says:

Why? I mean, really — why? He’s awful.

• Tarc says:

Colton’s record ready now – he’s awesome. Deandre’s going to have to fight; his style of music is very out of favor, and the artists his voice best matches are all 1970’s soul singers – which the youngsters today don’t know at all.

• Leila says:

Colton may be a good musician, but his taste in music is TERRIBLE. All the generic, fake alt rock songs from David Cook and Daughtry… BARF.

26. shelbybb says:

Aww…..not a Colton fan at all!!!

27. Brittany says:

I really hope Deandre gets the wild card!!!!

28. shelbybb says:

Oh no……REALLY shocked now!

29. Ben says:

Reed, Deandre, Aaron, Jen. Wild Cards should go to three of those 4.

30. KK says:

No Eben!! Total win America!! I’ll be seriously pissed if they don’t give one to Erica.

My other two: 1)Deandre and 2)Jen or Jeremy.

It better not be: Reed or Eben!!

31. Joseph says:

No really surprise with who got through and with 3 wildcards it just comes down to who other then DEANDRE BRACKENSICK gets a pass to continue.

32. Debby says:

Deandre obviously did not connect with the audience…but he will get back in. I am glad Jermaine is in….

• Ben says:

I think he just didn’t sing that well on Tuesday (I had him in my pre-show top 5 based on his connection, dropped him out after based on his singing), but I think he connected enough that if his performances get better, he will last a lot deeper than normal for a wild card. And surely he is the definition of a certainty for an extra spot (unless he really stuffs the WC performance up).

• Joseph says:

I think the issue with Deandre was song choice , Earth Wind and Fire , was a really bad song choice and sounded dated , he would have done better with Woman’s Work , BUT , he already used that song to get through the last round.

• My Alter Ego says:

Perhaps. But yesterday, I listened to Joshua’s song twice; I don’t know how many times I listened to Deandre. Yes, I’m older than anything on the face of the earth (well, maybe not quite as old as the planets and elements, but it feels like it), so that’s why I could connect with that song more than the others. (I was a huge Genesis and Phil Collins fan back in the day, but PP’s “singing” just makes me feel that I’m going to lose my last meal, so I’ve learned to avoid listening to him butcher good tunes.) Just sayin’

• Tarc says:

It’s just you, man. I was around, too, and even Phil slighters his old music. It’s just insipid. Phil almost made that song good.

33. RTW says:

Oh Darlin’ belongs to Haley Reinhart…blasphemy!

• Terry says:

Hales ya! Have you seen this recent performance of Oh Darlin’… Haley live at the Hard Rock Cafe in Hollywood on Feb. 21, 2012… so f’n good…

34. shelbybb says:

Does anyone really want to hear a whole concert with Jermaine????

• Debby says:

Great thing about music is that everyone has different tastes..I could say would I sit and hear a concert with Heejun? Answer NOPE. But some might. Would I sit and hear a concert with Colton? NOPE. But here’s the thing….things can change and their abilities can either grow or not…so I won’t judge right now…I wanna see some more first.

• Ben says:

Agree. And anyway, to be its not about who do I want to hear in concert, its about who do I want to hear next week.

• Carol says:

35. karenb says:

Reed=FAIL

36. Ben says:

By the way,t his Eben-less, Chelsea-less, Hayley-less, Baylie-less top 10 is exactly why this semifinal format smokes the old one hands down. So pleased I don’t have to sit with Eben until top 8, as he keeps squeaking through each week.

37. Coco says:

Ugh on Jeremy.

38. sandra says:

Michael So right – again. I love Jeremy I want him to make it in. Say its so!!!!

39. Lindsey says:

What are the chances they will actually pick 2 girls for wild card? Small, huh? After all, it’s idol. But I must say, the girls are better this year.

• Debby says:

There I disagree..there are some girls who are fantastic, but most did nothing for me when I watched them.

• Ben says:

I agree Debby (ps, told ya Brielle would get a shot).

• Debby says:

(with a mouthfull of humble pie) yeah…guess you were right…but (spitting out the humble pie) I SO hope that she won’t get in…I for one would never sit and watch her in a concert…

• TheBeach says:

I was so sorry you called that one right. I thought it would have been Jessica Rabbit.

• Kevin C. says:

Whether or not the girls are better as a group, the judges threw away their chances at two female wild cards when Jen fell flat and they picked Brielle instead of, say, Hallie.

Of the three who performed, only Erika deserved to go through.

• me says:

Erika did deserve to go through. Brielle was actually kind of interesting and I think the top set could’ve used someone a bit different like her. I didn’t think Jen did anything necessary, would not have picked her for the save me either.

40. Adele Why? says:

Dear God,

Please convince these idiots they are not ready to sing Adele. It doesn’t matter how well you can sing – Adele is more than music. You can’t touch no matter how hard you try.

Thank you.

• Joseph says:

@Adele Why,
      Is it okay to sing Adele , Yes , BUT with the understanding that you never touch her songs unless you have the performance ability to transport your listener to the story via your being emotionally vulnerable.

• Kevin C. says:

I wouldn’t say all the idols are not ready to sing Adele. Haley did a decent job with it last year, and Elise had some great moments in her performance this year.

But you should never sing Adele on TV just because “I heard the song on the radio, and I loved it!” (Eben, I’m looking at YOU here!)

• Tarc says:

Agreed in principle. Just leave the Adele alone this year. It’s too fresh and just too damn well done to touch.

41. shelbybb says:

Note to Brielle: You’re not Adele now or ever!

42. Coco says:

Brielle = Fail

• TheBeach says:

Yep. The only reason she got a Wildcard shot is because her mama threatened to go all Sopranos on Nigel’s a**.

43. James Malnati says:

………i didn’t think brielle was THAT bad.

44. YowzaPowza says:

Set fire to the stage. Hehe. Good one. I’ll take it a step further and set fire to my ears though.

45. Rosemary says:

Please not Brielle. Really did enjoy Jeremy, he sings with such emotion.

46. Ben says:

Watch for Brielle to get in, languish in the bottom 2 for a couple of weeks, then suddenly find that everyone loves her voice, forgets her mother, says she isn’t THAT arrogant after all, and power her all the way to a third place finish, before moaning that the producers were biased against her all along and you could tell that even from Hollywood week.

• Debby says:

Think you are wrong there. If she is in out of all of the contestants she will be the first to go.

• Ben says:

Lol, I honestly don’t think she will get in. I just find the Brielle hate funny, because people were hating on Haley this time last year and I fnid their voices and demeanour to be very similar.

• Debby says:

And sitting here at my computer in the land Down Under (Australia) have noticed that Hayley is really no-where to be seen in the land of success…..

• My Alter Ego says:

Assuming that you are referring to the Lady Reinhart, Haley’s single will be out on the 27th of this month; the full album to be released in May. She will appear on the show 90210 (as herself) this month as well and AI. She just appeared on a gala birthday bash for Muhammed Ali. She’s been taking her time, scoping the out field, and has garnered many new fans and is keeping the earlier fans as captivated as ever.

• Ben says:

I’m down under too. Just a little further under.

• Tarc says:

An Aussie? I’m waiting for my Aussie Idol, Hayley Warener’s album to be released! I’m here in the US, but Hayley was my fave from the Aussie editions. Here in the US, one of my US faves, Hayley Reinhart, has a single and album due very soon as well.

• Raquel says:

No no no Brielle has nothing in common with Lady Reinhart

47. Coco says:

Please – can someone tell me why the love for Deandre? I think he is SO creepy. I don’t get it – is he someone who is better live. I just think it’s awful.

• Brittany says:

I think Deandre is great. I love his voice. He has such on amazing range and his voice stands out so much.

• jw says:

I don’t get the Deandre fandom, I’m not a fan of his voice or style. But cut the guy some slack. Creepy?

• Josh says:

I wouldn’t call him creepy but I think he’s pretty bad vocal wise…He’ll be one of the first cut.

• TheBeach says:

Please, somebody get that kid a couple of barettes…quick.

• Tarc says:

He’s got an amazing instrument, but he needs a LOT of coaching. He’s just a 17 year old kid… give him a break. He seems rather nice.

• C says:

I wouldn’t say he’s creepy, but I sure don’t want to have to listen to his falsetto every week for the next 2 1/2 months.

• Coolio says:

Deandre has a beautiful and powerful voice. It’s just not reliable because of his youth and lack of formal vocal training. If the coaches can bring him up to speed in the next few months he could be a top contender. He as raw talent, and why all the bizarre remarks about his hair???? His look is tame compared to a lot of famous, relevant entertainers.

48. Brittany says:

I think they just shouldn’t sing Adele. Nothing can compare to the origonal!

49. Josh says:

Oh the overblown theatrics with Jeremy the tears are not deserved he is good but i wanted to hurl at Jlos reaction

50. Joseph says:

There are only a few Idols in recent memory that could do Someone Like You , Adam Lambert , he could have done the song justice and of the current singers I want to think that Hollie Cavanagh is vulnerable enough to pull a song like that off.

• Debby says:

Tis true….but then again he has the chops to really make any song hs own….and I do agree that the singer to watch this year will be Hollie…

• Joseph says:

I think people really need to take another look at Hollie Cavanagh, she so reminds me of an early Kelly Pickler ,

• Loni says:

I don’t agree with your Kelly Pickler comparison at all! Kelly was always batty and silly. Hollie has a quiet dignity to her, even if she does get nervous, I’m pegging it on her British/Southern upbringing.