Scoop: Margo Martindale Joins ABC Comedy Pilot Counter Culture – Is A Gifted Man Doomed?

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Margo Martindale is readying a fallback plan in the event A Gifted Man fails to see a second season.

The Emmy winner has joined the cast of Counter Culture, ABC’s sitcom pilot about three aging sisters running their family diner together in West Texas. She’ll play the eldest sister, Joyce. Doris Roberts co-stars as coiffed southern belle who runs the cash register at the diner.

The pilot is in “second position” to Martindale’s current gig, CBS’ A Gifted Man, which airs its season finale this Friday and is considered a long-shot for renewal.

Showtime, meanwhile, announced Wednesday that Martindale will appear as a guest star in Masters of Sex, a drama pilot about 1960′s human sexuality pioneers William Masters (Michael Sheen) and Virginia Johnson (Lizzy Caplan). Martindale will play Masters’ secretary, Miss Horchow.

Comments (26)

• Good for her to have a fallback plan.
    “A Gifted Man” is a good little show, but would be better without the ghost part I guess.
    Still hoping for a second season there, but if not, let’s get the adorable Rachelle Lefevre a new gig, too, just in case, OK?

Comment by Lambsilencer – February 29, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be so sad if A GIFTED MAN is cancelled. :(

Comment by Nancy – February 29, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Love the show. Love the ghost. Love everything about it. I think they need to give it a second season……definitely!

Comment by Lainey – February 29, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I love this show too. I hope it isn’t cancelled.

Comment by Vannesa – March 1, 2012 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! I really like this show and thought is was one of the better scripted ones. Would be disappointed if it was not renewed for a second season.

Comment by Dawn – March 1, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I love A Gifted Man (and I do), I have to admit that this role sounds like it would be perfect for her.

Comment by dee – February 29, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How can Margo Martindale play the eldest sister??? Doris Roberts not only looks older she is older, by 20 years!

Comment by sylvia – February 29, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Doris Roberts isn’t playing one of the sisters. She’s playing their aunt

Comment by Ryan – February 29, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really loved her on “The Riches” — such a shame that show was cancelled way before it’s time!

Comment by Jesse – February 29, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree also loved her on the Riches. The whole show really

Comment by sandee – February 29, 2012 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Make that a third for The Riches-loved her there, and her Sandra Bullock movies-I counted 3-they must have been good friends!

Comment by brutony – March 1, 2012 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love Margo Martindale. This sounds fun. Kind of like Golden Girls meets Flo meets Designing Women meets Hot in Cleveland.

Comment by april-ann – February 29, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My family and I just love A Gifted Man and want it to come back for another season. Also, our friends love it too. Patrick Wilson, Margo and all of the other actors are awesome on the show.

Comment by Anonymous – February 29, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the season or series finale airing on Friday, A Gifted Man is most likely getting canceled.

Comment by kevin – February 29, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish her well. I really like A Gifted Man – I call it House light. But I like her character.

Comment by txhlfan – February 29, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE this woman. She is a treasure and can play anything from sympathetic (Gifted Man) to quirky (The Riches) to menacing (Justified). I’m sure she can play hilarious as well.

Comment by TheBeach – February 29, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A GIFTED MAN seems to have a lot of faithful followers including me and quite a few friends.
    Some of us have gone directly to CBS.com and filed a complaint and let them know what a good show they are thinking of not renewing. With so much garbage on TV these days, why do they need to cancel a show like this which appeals to many different people and educates us at the same time. Love the human interest part of the show, too, and also like the ghost ex-wife.
    What else can we all do to save the show?

Comment by Jackie Barlow – February 29, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She could probably do both shows, she is not in that many scenes on Gifted Man.

Comment by LadyCap – February 29, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love A Gifted Man! I’m sad that it got buried on Friday night and that it will likely be going away. I think it’s just starting to hit it’s stride.

Comment by Lana – February 29, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really hoping A Gifted Man isn’t going to be cancelled. It took a while for the show to get going but it’s one of the ones I most enjoy on TV now. (Much, much better than Blue Bloods which is going to get renewed.)
    Good for Margo Martindale for having a back-up plan.

Comment by Jill – February 29, 2012 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually love A Gifted man. My opinion on it is that I think it could survive without the ex wife ghost thing. But unfortunately they based the whole show on that, so they have to go with it. Not saying she’s a bad actress. The episode with the crazy shooter trying to kill Michael; that was a kick-butt episode that would be fine without a ghost at random points. Just my two cents!
    Renew Terra Nova! (have to put that whevere I can! ha.

Comment by Meggo – February 29, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, the ghost never showed up during the crazy shooter part of that episode, so you got what you wanted.
      The ghost has pretty much been written out of the show, it seems. I think she played a much bigger role in the show as it was originally conceived, but then CBS turned it into more of a medical procedural, and the ghost started being written out. I can’t imagine an actress of Jennifer Ehle’s caliber signed on for what she’s been given to do. Last week’s episode was the first one to really feature Anna in any important way in weeks, and that culminated in Michael telling her to go away.

Comment by dee – February 29, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When the cast starts planning their exit strategy it isn’t a good sign. I actually like(d) A Gifted Man, but the show has been uneven and seemed to have trouble finding itself in the first season. The whole ghost thing never did seem to “fit” into the overall flow of the show. It seems shows simply don’t get the chance to meander in the first season anymore. This is one of those shows that might attract decent ratings if it were given a second season, but probably will never get the chance.

Comment by Tom – March 1, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A gifted man is a really good show and a great lead in to CSI NY and Blue Bloods. I agree it started out slow but the episodes are getting better and better. I am keeping my fingers crossed it is picked up for season 2.

Comment by Kerry – March 1, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course “A Gifted Man” will be cancelled. The ratings speak for themselves.

Comment by Torched by Gandalf – March 1, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for counter couture. Like the old sitcoms could make a nice run.

Comment by Paul – April 4, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post