Natalie Zea Joins Kevin Williamson's Fox Pilot - Will She Juggle It With Justified?

Well, this may not bode well for Raylan Givens and his baby mama Winona.

Justified star Natalie Zea has landed a co-starring role in Kevin Williamson’s drama pilot for Fox.

The untitled project centers on Joe Carroll (played by James Purefoy), a deranged serial killer who creates his own cult of murderers via the wonders of technology, and the retired FBI profiler (Kevin Bacon) who is hunting him down. Zea will play Carroll’s ex-wife, who finds herself in the middle of a nightmare when he escapes from prison.

It’s unclear how this gig (should the pilot be ordered to series) would impact her existing role on the FX drama, but Zea is no stranger to multitasking. This season alone she managed to star in Justified, appear in the Person of Interest pilot and nab an arc in Californication. Still, the casting seems to cast a shadow over any future longterm reconciliation between the on-again/off-again Winona and Raylan.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Rose says:

Hope she doesn’t leave Justified.

2. Kath says:

hope she leaves justified.

3. Tatiana says:

Ex-Wife of a serial killer and ex-wife of a Marshal. Hopes she becomes a Marshall wife again. Love her on Justified.

4. Jbkr73 says:

I hope she can do both. She’ll be in the background on Justified anyway since she and Raylan aren’t together, but I’d hate for him to be far away form his kid.

5. Diana says:

I’m glad she’ll have more work but it’s gonna suck if she’s not on Justified. It’s like they’d be letting the trolls win.

• aunt_deen says:

You define anyone who dislikes Winona to be a troll?

• jbkr73 says:

No, but…there was a very persistent poster or two who spread horrible rumors on imdb, FX. and other websites, even setting up a facebook page criticizing not only the character, but Natalie as well. It seems to have stopped, thank God, but it was truly evil.
        Don’t like the character, fine, but blame to writers, not the actress. Kudos for NZ for doing a fine job with a character that was hard to sympathize with, at least last season.

• Tara says:

Honestly, I found it amusing that they whined so much about a character who they claimed was too whiney.

• aunt_deen says:

I have no problems at all with the actress. But I find Winona to be self-centered and tedious. She’s been better this season, but if they write her character out, or maybe just have her as occasionally recurring, I will be quite relieved.

6. april-ann says:

I’ve never seen Justified but she was great on Dirty Sexy Money.

7. Darlene says:

Hope she’s done with Justified. That story line was finished long ago.

8. Carrie says:

I want to say that if Winona’s out, I’m out, but Justified is too good to just be deserted.
    But I will definitely not enjoy the show in the same way if Natalie Zea is no longer a series regular. PLEASE KEEP HER A SERIES REGULAR!

• Doug-H says:

If you saw previews for next week’s Justified, she’s a major part of it again… And it’s freaking pilot episode… No reason to fear her leaving her current role.. Depending on shooting schedules, she could very easily do both if she had to.. Plus as someone has pointed out, I don’t think Season 4 has been OK’d yet but FX doesn’t usually renew till the end of the current runs of shows…

• Carrie says:

It may only be one episode, and yes, Winona will be part of the rest of this season, but that the above article says “co-starring” not guest starring. Zea guest starred in a pilot last season, which is different.
        That and the fact that the producers even let Zea participate in pilot season does not sound good for her Justified character. Usually networks don’t let their series regulars get involved in major roles in other series, even if it is during the other show’s hiatus.

9. Brian says:

Has JUSTIFIED already been renewed for a season 4?

10. Juliab. says:

I would be willing to bet she will juggle both shows. I like Natalie Zea on Justified and she isn’t in every episode, so I hope we see more Winona and Raylan.

11. jonathon says:

love all the actors on justified but will definitely miss her on the show if she leaves.

12. aunt_deen says:

Natalie Zea is very good. Winona is awful and annoying.
    I hope this new show is a massive hit that takes up ALL her time.

• Tara says:

Kevin Bacon has it in his contract that it will only be 15 episodes per season. So it seems that your hopes were dashed before even being able to take flight.
      How about focusing on what you like about a show you watch and not incessantly whining about what you don’t.

• aunt_deen says:

I’m incessantly whining? Really?
        I love most things about Justified. In fact, I love every other character on it (except for maybe Arlo), to varying degrees. And with most of my discussions about the show, I am focused on those things. But this is an article about Natalie Zea so I’m pretty much focusing on her and her character on this board.

13. Writer Bob says:

@Brian: Justified has yet to be picked up for a fourth season.

14. Geo says:

Natalie Zea’s Winona isn’t the answer to Ausiello’s recent ominous blind item is she?

• jbkr73 says:

No. Ausellio said that was a character on a network (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW) show, not cable. Justified is on FX.

15. jenna says:

I hope she can do both.
    She’s not on Justified much, but I like how she humanizes Raylan. She brings out his tender, sweet side. And I love me some sweet Raylan. :)

16. TL says:

I love Natalie Zea (loved her since she played Gwen in Passions LOL!), but I don’t enjoy Winona. Rayland and Winona came back together and they broke up. I would hate Graham and his writers to constantly replay that dynamic over and over again inn depth each season. That being said I wouldn’t mind an appearance of Winona and the little baby once in awhile. So, I’m happy we can see Natalie in other roles because she’s too talented to be stuck playing the one note with Winona.

17. Lynn says:

I hope she is out!!

18. peggy says:

I don’t see how this would be a problem. Tony Dennison was on both “The Closer” and “Prison Break” at the same time. “Justified” like “The Closer” only has a certain number of episodes each season.

19. Cristi says:

Does this mean that justified will be renewed for season 4?

20. Natalie says:

Good riddance Winona! I’d say I’m sad to see you go, but that would be a blatant lie. I hate the emotional roller coaster you constantly put Raylon through and hope that you stay far away for as long as possible.