Natalie Zea Joins Kevin Williamson's Fox Pilot – Will She Juggle It With Justified?

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Well, this may not bode well for Raylan Givens and his baby mama Winona.

Justified star Natalie Zea has landed a co-starring role in Kevin Williamson’s drama pilot for Fox.

The untitled project centers on Joe Carroll (played by James Purefoy), a deranged serial killer who creates his own cult of murderers via the wonders of technology, and the retired FBI profiler (Kevin Bacon) who is hunting him down. Zea will play Carroll’s ex-wife, who finds herself in the middle of a nightmare when he escapes from prison.

It’s unclear how this gig (should the pilot be ordered to series) would impact her existing role on the FX drama, but Zea is no stranger to multitasking. This season alone she managed to star in Justified, appear in the Person of Interest pilot and nab an arc in Californication. Still, the casting seems to cast a shadow over any future longterm reconciliation between the on-again/off-again Winona and Raylan.

Comments (31)

• Hope she doesn’t leave Justified.

Comment by Rose – February 29, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is Raylen without Winona? I really hope she maintains some status on the show –

Comment by sash fan – March 1, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What is Raylen without Winona? Better.

Comment by spikesgrl – March 22, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hope she leaves justified.

Comment by Kath – February 29, 2012 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ex-Wife of a serial killer and ex-wife of a Marshal. Hopes she becomes a Marshall wife again. Love her on Justified.

Comment by Tatiana – February 29, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she can do both. She’ll be in the background on Justified anyway since she and Raylan aren’t together, but I’d hate for him to be far away form his kid.

Comment by Jbkr73 – February 29, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad she’ll have more work but it’s gonna suck if she’s not on Justified. It’s like they’d be letting the trolls win.

Comment by Diana – February 29, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You define anyone who dislikes Winona to be a troll?

Comment by aunt_deen – February 29, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, but…there was a very persistent poster or two who spread horrible rumors on imdb, FX. and other websites, even setting up a facebook page criticizing not only the character, but Natalie as well. It seems to have stopped, thank God, but it was truly evil.
        Don’t like the character, fine, but blame to writers, not the actress. Kudos for NZ for doing a fine job with a character that was hard to sympathize with, at least last season.

Comment by jbkr73 – March 1, 2012 03:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Honestly, I found it amusing that they whined so much about a character who they claimed was too whiney.

Comment by Tara – March 1, 2012 05:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I have no problems at all with the actress. But I find Winona to be self-centered and tedious. She’s been better this season, but if they write her character out, or maybe just have her as occasionally recurring, I will be quite relieved.

Comment by aunt_deen – March 1, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen Justified but she was great on Dirty Sexy Money.

Comment by april-ann – February 29, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope she’s done with Justified. That story line was finished long ago.

Comment by Darlene – February 29, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to say that if Winona’s out, I’m out, but Justified is too good to just be deserted.
    But I will definitely not enjoy the show in the same way if Natalie Zea is no longer a series regular. PLEASE KEEP HER A SERIES REGULAR!

Comment by Carrie – February 29, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you saw previews for next week’s Justified, she’s a major part of it again… And it’s freaking pilot episode… No reason to fear her leaving her current role.. Depending on shooting schedules, she could very easily do both if she had to.. Plus as someone has pointed out, I don’t think Season 4 has been OK’d yet but FX doesn’t usually renew till the end of the current runs of shows…

Comment by Doug-H – March 1, 2012 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It may only be one episode, and yes, Winona will be part of the rest of this season, but that the above article says “co-starring” not guest starring. Zea guest starred in a pilot last season, which is different.
        That and the fact that the producers even let Zea participate in pilot season does not sound good for her Justified character. Usually networks don’t let their series regulars get involved in major roles in other series, even if it is during the other show’s hiatus.

Comment by Carrie – March 1, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has JUSTIFIED already been renewed for a season 4?

Comment by Brian – February 29, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be willing to bet she will juggle both shows. I like Natalie Zea on Justified and she isn’t in every episode, so I hope we see more Winona and Raylan.

Comment by Juliab. – February 29, 2012 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love all the actors on justified but will definitely miss her on the show if she leaves.

Comment by jonathon – February 29, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Natalie Zea is very good. Winona is awful and annoying.
    I hope this new show is a massive hit that takes up ALL her time.

Comment by aunt_deen – February 29, 2012 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kevin Bacon has it in his contract that it will only be 15 episodes per season. So it seems that your hopes were dashed before even being able to take flight.
      How about focusing on what you like about a show you watch and not incessantly whining about what you don’t.

Comment by Tara – March 1, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m incessantly whining? Really?
        I love most things about Justified. In fact, I love every other character on it (except for maybe Arlo), to varying degrees. And with most of my discussions about the show, I am focused on those things. But this is an article about Natalie Zea so I’m pretty much focusing on her and her character on this board.

Comment by aunt_deen – March 1, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Brian: Justified has yet to be picked up for a fourth season.

Comment by Writer Bob – February 29, 2012 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Natalie Zea’s Winona isn’t the answer to Ausiello’s recent ominous blind item is she?

Comment by Geo – February 29, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Ausellio said that was a character on a network (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CW) show, not cable. Justified is on FX.

Comment by jbkr73 – March 1, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she can do both.
    She’s not on Justified much, but I like how she humanizes Raylan. She brings out his tender, sweet side. And I love me some sweet Raylan. :)

Comment by jenna – March 1, 2012 05:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Natalie Zea (loved her since she played Gwen in Passions LOL!), but I don’t enjoy Winona. Rayland and Winona came back together and they broke up. I would hate Graham and his writers to constantly replay that dynamic over and over again inn depth each season. That being said I wouldn’t mind an appearance of Winona and the little baby once in awhile. So, I’m happy we can see Natalie in other roles because she’s too talented to be stuck playing the one note with Winona.

Comment by TL – March 1, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she is out!!

Comment by Lynn – March 1, 2012 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t see how this would be a problem. Tony Dennison was on both “The Closer” and “Prison Break” at the same time. “Justified” like “The Closer” only has a certain number of episodes each season.

Comment by peggy – March 1, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean that justified will be renewed for season 4?

Comment by Cristi – March 1, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance Winona! I’d say I’m sad to see you go, but that would be a blatant lie. I hate the emotional roller coaster you constantly put Raylon through and hope that you stay far away for as long as possible.

Comment by Natalie – March 1, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post