American Idol's Season 11 Top 12 Women Perform: Who Was Your Favorite? Take Our Poll!

jessica sanchez idolThis just in: Randy Jackson made a huge mistake. I know, I know, you’ve been aware of that for a decade now, but the big news is that the Dawg actually admitted it on Wednesday night’s edition of American Idol.

Yes, fellow Idoloonies, the headmaster at Our Lady of Limited Vocabulary Preparatory School confessed to Ryan Seacrest that after watching Tuesday’s telecast — featuring performances from Season 11’s Top 13 guys — that maybe, just maybe he and his fellow judges could’ve been a little more critical. Ya think?

But hey, let’s take progress where we find it, and be thankful that the judges didn’t spend the entirety of Wednesday’s two-hour telecast on evasions, half-truths, and lies. And let’s also hope that starting next week, it won’t just be female contestants who receive negative feedback while the men skate by with cries of “beautiful!” “glorious” and “emotionally perfect!”

Chelsea Sorrell, Carrie Underwood’s “Cowboy Casanova”
Sang in tune, but enunciated as if her jaw had been wired shut. Also, in interest of full disclosure, crazy binding of breasts made me feel skittish.

Erika Van Pelt, Heart’s “What About Love”
Mother-of-the-bride fashion and No. 2 performance slot might prevent her from taking her rightful spot in the Season 11 Top 10. She’s actually really solid.

Jen Hirsh, Adele’s “One and Only”
Really pretty voice, but perhaps a little too studied to convey all the emotion of that Adele ballad? Elise’s Pimp Slot triumph didn’t help her cause.

Brielle Von Hugel, Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay”
Not half bad for an exit performance.

Hallie Day, Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good”
Really pretty, sultry vocal, but Adam Lambert and Jennifer Hudson have sung it better and more charismatically in very recent times. Call 9-1-1, Shannon Magrane is about to rob her!

Skylar Laine, Faces’ “Stay With Me”
I haven’t had this much fun watching Idol since…actually I don’t know that I’ve ever had this much fun watching Idol.

Baylie Brown, Lonestar’s “Amazed”
Oh dear.

Hollie Cavanagh, Christina Aguilera’s “Reflection”
I heard flashes of brilliance percolate through the obvious stage fright. Judges’ effusiveness seemed like a way to help Hollie overcome a serious lack of Season 11 screen time.

Haley Johnsen, Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”
This song brought down Tiah Tolliver on X Factor, and sorry to say, even Tiah’s vocals were more on point than Haley’s.

Shannon Magrane, Kathy Troccoli’s “Go Light Your World”
Randy said she reminded him of — wait for it — Lauryn Hill. I didn’t realize Lauryn Hill competed in Miss Teen USA.

Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson’s “I Love You I Do”
If this was Jessica with swollen and sore vocal cords, then she might as well skip the next eight weeks and head directly to the Top 5.

Elise Testone, Adele’s “One and Only”
Ambition and emotion slightly outweighed actual execution, but still among the night’s Top 3 females. Room-service flowers in her hair made her a mortal lock for results-night success.

Your turn. What did you think of the Top 12 ladies. Which five will sail thorugh to the finals without the help of a wild card? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to expand on your opinions!

1. Elena says:

I don’t really have a favorite yet, however, I do like Erika, Elise, Jessica and Skylar best. Skylar, in particular, felt the most genuine to me as a performer — sort of a hybrid of Miranda Lambert and Reba McIntyre. Shannon can sing but she leaves me cold. I don’t know what it is (probably lack of connection to whatever it is she sings). Overall, I do believe the girls are better.

2. Ruby says:

Top 5: Jen, Jessica, Erika, Elise, Hollie. The worst were Brielle, Chelsea and Haley…absolutely excruciating. But if this goes like DialIdol is predicting, I’m out. Because Brielle is at the top, and there’s no way I’m sitting through a season of Brielle Sanjaying this thing.

• darcy's evil twin says:

So dialidol has Brielle and Eben at the top? Who the heck is running dialidol? Could it be…SATAN?

• somebody says:

Nope. Because then it would be Skylar and Eben at the top.

• TheBeach says:

The folks at vftw are voting in bloc for Eben and Haley.

• I-heart-Slezak says:

My sentiments exactly. Although the out-of-tune cowboy for me gives Eben some competition for worst.
        Eben has a truly beautiful voice, he just sorely needs a few years to develop it and ride with the changes it’s likely going through. And my god, why didn’t the judges call him out on how completely age inappropriate that song was for him?
        How Brielle made it through and Colton’s sis did not is BEYOND me.

• me says:

Yup Brielle and Eben at top of dialidol. And even Skylar seems to be getting just enough love to make it. Skylar, Eben, Randy, JLo, Nigel and I seriously can’t imagine being able to watch. And you just know the cute kid voters will keep Eben there forever and “the block that votes like mad” will keep Skylar in forever and you just know dawg and lo will spout non-stop nonsense fed to them by Nigel. Not sure I could bare heaving to hear Randy and JLo go on about how Sklyar is so much amazingly better than Elise or Hollie or Jessica.

• Ben says:

So does this tell you that your instincts and everything you are reading everywhere else online and what people are actually saying they like are wrong, or that dialidol is wrong…..

• dialidol says:

Dial Idol cannot be used for this week. The raw numbers may give a hint for this week. The base predictions don’t work though when six get cut in one swoop. So it tells me that Dial Idol is wrong.

3. darcy's evil twin says:

Mr. Slezak, you’re the man! I think the judges read your column and our comments re: the lack of judging.
    Poor Baylie Brown. “Style over Substance”. And she gave us our first, “I had fun” comment. Anyone up for an “I had fun” drinking game?
    Skylar was my favorite. I also liked Hollie (but not the song choice), Hallie Day, Elise, and Erika VanPelt, who gave a very solid performance. Jen Hirsch would be my wild card pick.
    I don’t care for Jessica but obviously I’m in the minority and I can’t really explain why I don’t share everyone’s enthusiasm.

• Marsaili says:

I’m with you, Darcy, although I am admittedly on the Jessica bandwagon–I’ve like her all along—to me she is comparable to Thia Magia but with feeling and soul. I was disappointed in Baylie—and once she said-“I had fun” it knew it was all over for her.
      My fav of the night was Elise, hands down. I also really liked Hallie Day, Erika, Skylar and Jen—although I felt that Jen should have sung that song lower—she’s got such a great lower register and it just seemed too high the way she sang it (Elise, however, had it spot-on!) I like Hollie—but at the beginning of the song it sounded like she had a wad of gum in her mouth, or something. She cleared up before she got to the belting it out part—but it just seemed her pronunciations were off at first. Oh, and I know I’m in the minority here, but I kinda liked Haley’s Sweet Dreams—although the eyeballs in the background were freaky—in the Eurythmics video it was a cow eyeball, LOL!

• Billy says:

Perhaps because Jessica needs to reign in the vibrato just a teeny tiny bit? If she does, I think she’ll be in it to win it, dude!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yea, I’d commented last week she needs to get that vibrato under control. I think I need to listen to her again.

• syb says:

I would have suggested the “beautiful” drinking game but I was afraid someone would find my lifeless body on the sofa this morning.

4. Louie says:

Wow! Jessica was the best of the night. She kinda had a little J-Hud going on with that song too which just made it sound better.

5. Louie says:

No worries, DET
    I feel the same way about Joshua Ledet. I just don’t get it even though everyone is falling all over themselves for him
    But I do love me some Jessica

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think Joshua Ledet is “okay”. I think I need to hear just a little more of Jessica.

• TheBeach says:

I was really impressed with Jessica’s solo in Vegas…crystal clear and pitch perfect. I could definitely hear the strain on her vocal cords tonight. Randy is an idiot.

6. Steph says:

Jessica is my favorite. She’s been my fav since Hollywood Week. I hope she takes it this year. Her voice is amazing.

7. Vicky says:

Ohhhhhhhhh…awful. Extremely disappointing season start.

8. Kevin C. says:

My net reaction from the night: This was supposed to be a girls’ season? Egads.
    Two of the best three performances (Jessica and Elise) were hampered by oversinging, many of the rest were flat both in terms of pitch and emotionally.

• somebody says:

Yeah it was a bit of a night of train wrecks. Only two or three really did anything at all and even then only one was really anything even hinting at special. Some did so much worse than I had ever feared. I only saw parts of the last couple weeks but it seemed like at least half of them did a lot worse tonight than ever before. The judges are as annoying and fake as ever and the show is as fake as season again, it is sadly clear. And all the cute girls are probably going home first week. So really not anything to be thrilled about on any level deep or shallow.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Kevin – you may have hit on what bugs me about Jessica. Oversinging. If she dials it back a notch I might like her because I liked her on the group number with Candace and Deandre.

9. Jason says:

First off am I the only one who thinks Adam Brock looks exactly like Michael Slezak. THis has to be the worst group since season six, I know a lot of people will say season nine but that actually would have been a great season had America not voted in Paige and Katey over Lily and Kaetlynn. Either of those two could have gicven Crystal and Lee a run for their money. BUt this group has no artistry, no individuality and no soul. Of the girls tonight I think the best were Brielle and Haley. Yeas HAley hit one really bad note but at least she was trying something different with the song. She almost seemed relevant and she hit some really solid notes at the end. Brielle kind of reminded me of Haley Reinhart and she at least sung a fun song and did some interesting vocals with it. Elise was also pretty good but she had wonky notes as well. Not sure anyone was perfect note for note (Maybe Skylar but she only sang about three notes in that song so she doesn’t count) so I don’t think we should be judging on notes tonight. THe six I would keep in are Haley, Brielle, Elise, Bailey, Skylar, and Holly.
    Guys should be Philip, Joshua, Deandre, Colton, Creighton, Reed,
    If they go with a top 13 maybe Jen Hirsh or Jessica Sanchez.

• syb says:

LOL: No, in fact, I saw a collage of all the semi-finalists on some site the other day, and said to myself, “Why is Michael Slezak pictured with the contestants?” before I realized it was Adam.

10. Tahoe Mike says:

~Chelsea Sorrell- I like her. She is hot, and I hope she is old enough to be bringing those guns to town. A nice country voice, and a nice start to the show. I’m looking forward to hearing more.
    ~Erica Van Pelt- She rocks! I liked her presence on the stage, she seemed comfortable and confident. Despite the “judges,” she gave the song all it needed and no more. I get that that’s a concept Randy doesn’t understand.
    ~Randy is on my last nerve, first thing tonight.
    ~Jen Hirsh- I like her, but was not blown away by this. Erica was a tough act to follow.
    ~Brielle von Whatever- She is toast. Dock Of The Bay was a weird song choice for her, and it didn’t fit.
    ~Hallie Day- The best I’ve heard from her. I am a fan now. She showed power, control, and amazing tone. For the first time, I saw some life in her eyes.
    ~Skyler Laine- This girl had me at “Time to change clothes, and go kill a deer..” Every time I hear her she blows me away all over again. She countrified a Rock & Roll classic and I loved it. That was radio ready right now and it would be a hit.
    ~Baylie Brown- I can’t take my eyes off this girl. This was not her strongest song, and I hope she gets the chance to do better. The nerves did show. This country ballad on the heels of what Skylar Laine did was another tough act to follow.
    ~Hollie Cavanagh- Another case of nerves. She started kind of weak, but got stronger. The word “Disney-esque “ came to mind . She looked like a deer in the headlights, and had better be careful or Skylar Laine will take her out in a heartbeat.
    ~Haley Johnsen- She is not Annie Lennox, but who is? I do think there is a voice there, and I want to hear her do something else.
    ~Shannon Magane- Another slow start that got better. I didn’t like the song choice, Simon would have killed her for it. The “Judges” liked it more than I did, that’s for sure. It sounded like a prom or wedding song.
    ~Jessica Sanchez- uh, ok. She sounded like she’d lost her voice at first, and then found it; or decided there was no tomorrow so use it now. She defiantly has something there, but I can’t say I loved it. This was another one that the judges liked more than I did. Randy is fecking high! He is in full blown praise his favorites , and bash everyone else mode; no matter what happens on stage. She seems to be getting a lot of love here on the board, I just don’t get it.
    ~Elise Testone- A really soulful voice. There were a few cracks in there, but I liked it! She is a keeper.
    ~
    The girls kicked the boys butts tonight. I’d use all the saves on the girls and make it 8-5 going forward.

• TheBeach says:

You are spot-on with your comments about Erika. She sang the song with the perfect amount of everything and her tone is fantastic. It drove me crazy when Randy et al told her to really let loose next time (read: put in a thousand unnecessary runs).

• darcy's evil twin says:

Perfect comment on Erika. I’ve said this before but I’m a sucker for good old fashioned singing.

• C says:

Just a side note–I think “Dock of the Bay” is one of the most boring songs ever, and it doesn’t have enough range to really show what your vocals can do. I’m surprised so many contestants have used it.

11. Tim says:

Jessica is amazing. Her performance bordered on greatness at times, and she clearly wasn’t at 100%. As J-Lo would say, I got goosies!
    Scares me a little (just a little) that I’m agreeing with Michael this season.

12. TheBeach says:

I wondered how long it would take for us to get one of Randy’s trademark “Yo, I recorded that song with….”. We didn’t even make it through the second show.

13. Fawn says:

Top six girls…Hollie C,Jessica S,Hallie Day,Erika VP,Jen H and rounding it out with Brielle VH.
    I’m not sure who was worse,Chelsea Sorrell or Skylar Laine…Both have energy, yes, but as far as true singing talent…it’s just not there.Shannon Magrane struggled with the tone through most of her song(it was painful). Elise Testone,it was fun to watch her play the piano, but her rendition of Adel’s ” One and Only” lacked a connection..and wasn’t well sung.Annie Lennox must be turning over in her grave and she’s not even dead after hearing Haley Jhonsen’s version of ‘ Sweet Dreams” and Baylie Brown was Bar none the disaster of the night…..we’ll see how it all turns out.Absolute musts though are Hollie,Jessica and Hallie Day.

14. JenD says:

i loved skylar and elise. i am afraid that brielle will be with us for a while. she’s a party girl and this isn’t a singing competition as much as it’s a popularity contest. i would love to see skylar win the whole thing. it’s like watching reba mcintire. just amazing.

• Kait says:

hopefully her bad edit will be enough to keep america from getting behind her. Although in this day in age when shows like “dance moms” and “toddlers & tiaras” are on the air, the spoiled kid/stage mom thing might end up being a hook. ugh.

15. ShaneXtopher says:

My predictions:
    Top Ten – Colton, Phil, Jermaine, Heejun, Joshua, Jessica, Hollie, Skyler, Shannon, Jen.
    Jennifer saves Deandre, Steven saves Hallie, Randy saves Reed.

16. Swansteel says:

The only Idol for me this year will be watching your episodes of I dology. I given up for this year at least. The judges are just too much for me to take for such a long period of time and none of the contestants interests me in the teeny weeny slightest bit. Some of them are okay, I guess. They just do nothing for me. Zzzzzzzzzz…

17. IdleAmerican says:

Does anyone else think that Elise Testone looked just like Lady Gaga in the “Judas” video?

18. Muriel says:

My favourites of the night in order of appearance: Hallie, Skyler, Hollie, Jessica, Elise
    I think Skyler might win this year.

19. Jenna says:

I HATE Skylar Laine. I’m sorry to say that but I do. She was horrible and she looks like she’s 42. And why was she dressed like a streetwalker?

• Yo says:

On television who doesn’t look like a streetwalker? That’s entertainment! She was a great performance!

• darcy's evil twin says:

My husband called it the “hot young chicks with short skirts” show.

• w says:

Skylar wasn’t dressed like a streetwalker – It was a Tina Turner style rock dress – which is what she accomplished! Her breasts weren’t out and bouncing like Chelsea’s were! And how was she horrible? When people use words like “horrible” then not explain what they didn’t like – it bugs me. “Horrible” because “she looks like she’s 42″? Which she doesn’t at all. She inspired me to vote – which I usually forget to do!

20. Carrie says:

Jessica is a dynamo. 16? Frack. She can sang! Thought she was on a whole different level of talent to some of the blondes. Rounding out my top 5 of the night – Elise Testone, Hollie Cavanagh, Skylar Laine (for the electricity coming out of her pores and the Reba-esque quality – does not hurt she is tryin’ to save the family store) and Erika Van Pelt. Erika squeeked in by a blazer. Jen Hirsh has a lot of chops but her outfit was really distracting me from appreciating her voice – when your parents own a vineyard I assume one can afford more fabric or a stylist. Not being mean, but concerned because I have a feeling I’m not the only one that thought the look did not match the singing and this show is about image as much as it is about voice and song selection. Baylie Brown needs to go into modeling or acting. Gorgeous beauty pagent type who, imho, stole a spot from one of the more deserving brunettes/african americans/latinas/redheads that did not make the top 12.

21. Karen says:

My faves are Erika and Skylar, as they have been from very early on. They did not disappoint. Please send Brielle and scary mom from my sight NOW.

22. Eurydice says:

Erika, Skylar, Elise, Jessica, Hollie. I hope they save Jen and I don’t care about the rest.

23. Yo says:

I must be in a godawful mood, because I’m thinking anything that gets these kids removed from the strip malls they call home is a good thing. We need to work on the beautification of America. Really.
    There were excellent singers last night: I loved Hallie Day, although I think I should get over it, because she is leaving tonight. Elise was gorgeous and unique, even though I seriously thought she was going to lose her voice. And the little country pistol was terrific! These women are excellent, the men not so much.

• Carol says:

I don’t get the “strip malls they call home” comment. Are you insulting their houses or am I misunderstanding you?

24. darcy's evil twin says:

I think I figured out why I liked Elise’s performance of the Adele song but not Jen’s so much, even though technically Jen was very good. Elise seemed to connect to the song better and had more “soul”. Jen left me a little cold. I’m pretty good at “that was terrific” or “that was awful”, but sometimes I struggle with performances I didn’t care for, even if they’re good, to explain why I didn’t really care for them.

25. connerc says:

For those looking at dial idol, don’t look at their predictions. Change the stat to the raw numbers. Last year, the raw numbers were 100% correct predicting the five men and women voted in directly by America. So, this time, it would be Phil, Colton, Jermaine, Reed (?), Heejun, Hollie, Shannon, Jessica, Skylar and Jen.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Really? No Joshua? No Elise? In that case, the judges better be ready to do the right thing to round out the Top 13. They can’t be totally incompetent, can they?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Hm. I wouldn’t be entirely happy with those results, but I could probably live with them and they wouldn’t especially surprise me. Reed and Heejun gave less-than-terrific performances on Tuesday but I can see why people would want to keep such interesting personalities around. Joshua would absolutely have to wild-carded in, with a possible second slot going to Creighton or Deandre. On the girl’s side, I would have preferred Erica and Hallie over Shannon and Jen, but I could get over it. Elise MUST be wild-carded in.
      At least there are no horrible surprises like Eben. We’ll see tonight how correct those projections are.

26. Kait says:

I was surprised that Skylar Laine was actually my favorite. Not that I didn’t like her before now, I guess I just wasn’t expecting it to be as awesome as it was. She came out with a particularly strong song choice too. On top 12 girls/guys night they can pick anything, ANYTHING and not have to fit it within a certain theme, and yet half of them have baffling song selections. “Amazed”, really? that song is so overdone, even if she had sang it well it wouldn’t have been enough. that’s the kind of thing you have to sing brilliantly, AND truly but a different spin on to make it memorable. And she didn’t even sing a good copycat. And as Michael pointed out, “sweet dreams” has been the undoing of at least one other reality competition contestant. Out of all the songs, I don’t really know how she landed on that one.

27. IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Okay, after two nights of performances, here’s what I want:
    Top 5 Men: Joshua, Phillip, Colton, Jeremy, and either Heejun, Creighton, or Deandre
    Top 5 Women: Elise, Jessica, Skylar, Hollie, Erika
    Acceptable Wild Cards: Heejun/Creighton/Deandre (whichever ones weren’t voted in), Shannon (not my personal preference, but I don’t hate her), Hallie
    Actually, if all goes according to plan, I’d only have to give up one of these people.
    I may do serious damage to something if Eben or Brielle get in.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

As far as women go, your choices mirror mine exactly. I’d prefer the wild card spot to go to Hallie over Shannon. On the boy’s side, I’d switch Jeremy out for Creighton, put Deandre through, and hope Heejun and Jeremy get wild-carded in.
      And I wouldn’t be entirely upset if Reed somehow broke in, possibly in place of Heejun or Jeremy. I liked him so much before he frightened me with his live performance. Maybe he was having an off-night…?

28. JoMarch says:

Couldn’t you have predicted that the judges would be harder on the women than they were on the men? Haven’t we seen that since Jennifer Lopez has been on the panel? I could take this positvely and say that JLo cares so much for the girls that she’s harder on them… Nah! Let’s be honest: She’s a diva who wants to be the only girl in the room, so she’s going to trash the other women.

29. Templar says:

Ritalin Reed has to go home tonight. Ditto for Brielle the brat and Eben the elf. Also on that departing train should be “I’ll get by on my looks” Baylie, Captain Average Adam B., and couldn’t transport a tune in an SUV Hayley. The rest are a crapshoot.

• Miscellanopolan says:

Don’t forget about I’m-not-Brendan-Fraser-but-I-look-like-him-on-TV Chase Likens. Although I guess you could be forgiven for forgetting about him; I think that’s kind of his problem.
      I had such high hopes for Reed… he was different, edgy (curse words!), and definitely talented, but clearly his brand of crazy just isn’t meant for the Idol stage. I hope he gets a late night show in Vegas somewhere.

• Templar says:

IMO Cyndi Lauper is different and edgy. Reed is hyper and creepy. Like he pulls legs off bugs, or makes anonymous phone calls. I’m not saying he does those things, just that I get that sort of vibe from him.

30. syb says:

I’ll say again, I dislike country music, but for some reason I can’t exactly put my finger on (except maybe the voice and charismatic stage presence and energy) Skylar is becoming a real favorite of mine. She’s Bonnie Raittish I guess, as much bluesy rock as country with a little more drawl.
    I was a big fan of Jen Hirsch through Las Vegas, and I still am, but I agree it’s unfortunate that she was outshone by Elise on the same song, although I thought she was decent. Only other one that captured my imagination was Hallie. I agree it wasn’t an astute song choice, but I like her style and sound. Jessica is a powerful singer, and she really impressed me in Vegas with her softer vocal. I wasn’t a big fan of what she did last night despite the technical acumen.
    The rest of them didn’t really do much for me.
    Shannon’s Polly Pureheart routine is going to take her far. Ugh…
    Baylie: Nice rack is the one positive I’ll give her.

31. fela says:

The judges at least did there job & critqued performance not like in the boys competition when they only critiqued Hejun.
    Jessica knocked it out of the park.

32. Amy says:

Chelsea..never come out, (epecially on 1st night live, intro to “who you are:) trying “out Carrie” Carrie…on the show Carrie helped build. Too iconic, too set up for comparisons. And I felt this way also about
    Erika..with the Heart song…another lead singer’s performance hard to beat. Both these girls have good voices…I much prefer someone come out with an unexpected song that gives them the chance to do their thing and not be compared.
    Jen…good job. Was already one to watch…still is.
    Brielle…Michael, you said it best. Unless Baylie “oh-dear” Brown doesn’t make it through on “hotness votes.”
    Hallie (do we really have a Hallie, Halie AND Hollie this year?…anyway..not for long methinks.)..no surprises in this song. But guys, (who don’t vote) WERE eating up the sexy pouts.
    Skylar…the complete package. Hit all the notes, worked the room, presented who she is without question, and yet probably still has more to show…at this point was the best complete performce.
    Baylie…uh-oh. and I was rooting for her…and her gramps. I thought she actually was better than that, maybe is…was almost like she heard something OTHER in an ear moniter and was singing off key.
    Hollie…she’s got me “placing bets” already…girl can sang. Can’t wait to hear more…since last week.
    Halie…she’s going to win me some money..(easy bet between bf thinking with wrong parts of anatomy) between who lasts longer Hollie or Haley. Thinking I should have bet more.
    Shannon…yes, pagenty. A segment of Idol audience may eat it up. I’m not hatin’ on her though.
    Jessica..Another contender. I loved her “my Prayer” even better than last night, but that was just about song choice for me…she’s got the goods; anxious to see more. A little powerhouse.
    Elise..Like her grit, her style, her emotion…we’ll see.
    Hollie’s my fav girl SINGER so far…as just the voice goes. Others I liked the overall performance…my mind is open.

33. Name That Tune says:

Shannon
    Candidate for the Haley Rheinart Underdog Award:
    Haley J
    Most Likely Shocking Pia T “too early” exit:
    Hollie C

• Miscellaneopolan says:

I’d give the Reinhart underdog award to Hallie D over Haley J. Hallie had a lot of soul, but Haley… was poor.
      Actually, I hope all but two of the girls whose names begin with ‘H’ get cut so I don’t confused for the rest of the season. And they’re all blondes, too! Eerie.

34. Elaine says:

I felt like I was watching an episode of Fringe. I kept expecting Peter and Walter Bishop and Olivia Dunham sitting at the judge’s table.
    Why? Because the judges actually JUDGED the singers. They did a pretty darn fine portrayal of what judges are supposed to do. Cheers and Constructive Criticism. I don’t know what happened to them, but I can only hope it continues all season long.
    My only question: Why didn’t they judge like that for the boys? There were a lot more crappy performances from the boys to acknowledge.
    Is it really that much easier to criticize the girl singers? Really?
    Anyway, KUDOS to the judges for last night’s judging.
    Who Were Great Last Night: Jessica Sanchez (wow….. at this point, she’s my pick to win it all); Skylar Laine (Jessica’s top competition) Elise Testone (the one who make a move to the top). These are the top 3 competitors overall in my books. Rest of the top 5: Shannon Magrane & Hollie Cavanagh.
    Who Were Terrible Last Night: Baylie Brown; Hayley Johnson; Chelsea Sorrel, Erica Van Pelt
    The Rest: Forgettable.
    Love the girls this year. I think its the year they’ll break the “guy wins it all” curse of the last few years.

• Name That Tune says:

There is some talent there, but I don’t see one of them beating the guys. Top 4 for sure, but one of those White Boys is going to steal the crown again.

• Miscellaneopolan says:

Jessica, Elise, and Skyler all seem good enough to win, but I agree that it’ll probably be another boy’s year. Phil Phillips, and to a lesser degree Colton Dixon, are just perfect contestants. I think they cut Johnny Keyser early on specifically so there would be less competition in the cute-boys-who-can-sing section.
        I wonder how many years Idol can go without a female winner before girls start getting discouraged and stop bothering to audition.

35. Jason says:

Hollie, Hallie, and Haley??! No wonder I couldn’t tell 10 of the 12 girls apart from one another.

• IdolFlash-7-9-35 says:

Don’t forget Baylie, who rhymes with Haley. I told you, it could be the American Idol version of the Badger Song. Just insert another contestant’s name at the “mushroom” parts. Like this: Hollie Hallie Haley Baylie Hollie Hallie Haley Baylie…Elise! Hollie Hallie Haley Baylie Hollie Hallie Haley Baylie…Joshua! Obnoxious, isn’t it?

• Miscellaneopolan says:

And they’re all petite blondes! It’s like they were engineered for this or something. Thankfully, it seems like Haley at a minimum is going home, and probably Hallie too, so things should be less confusing going forward.
      I wonder if people will try and vote for Hollie but vote for Hallie or Haley by mistake.

36. mousie says:

Oh my… u r soo right! Do we live in the same household? We must because ANNOYING ISNT EVEN STRONG ENOUGH! Cocky…fake.. no dimension.. no soul.. no REAL SWAGGER. MAYBE YOU PEOPLE NEED TO LISTEN TO SOME REAL MUSIC. THE BLACK CROWES.. BEN HARPER.. JAMEY JOHNSON..OLD SCHOOL JOPLIN… BLUES. FUNK… RASP.. NOT BOUNCING AROUND LIKE A FAKE IDIOT.

37. I-heart-Slezak says:

I thought the judging was inconsistent. And I swear to god Randy must have someone in his past named Haley who ran over his dog or something. He was inappropriately hard on Haley Johnson, imo, and I also think she sang out of tune. I just think Baylie Brown was SO MUCH WORSE and don’t know why she didn’t have words like “trainwreck” or “nightmare” applied to her song as well. Also, I don’t think it’s fair to point out the female trainwrecks if you aren’t going to point out the male ones (and there were several).
    The singing was really disappointing for me overall. I swear these people cannot hear on the live stage. People like Jessica have a *serious* advantage here, due to their performance experience. As a vocalist myself, I can tell you that singing in your living room and singing on a big stage take completely different skill sets. And nothing beats experience as a teacher here. Expect to see in-ear monitors next week because the boys struggled here too.
    I’m irritated that this year’s crop of gals is SO DAMN WHITE and conservative. WTH did they throw out Candace, among others??
    Also, Shannon bored me to *tears*. Anyone else? Hollie was inching that direction as well…
    So many inferior singers made it through this year, as the judges yet again passed up skilled people to get the more marketable people. *sigh* It’s going to be a boring season, folks. I can’t tell you how many times I wanted to hit fast forward tonight. I’m counting on Elise, Jessica, Erika and Jen to keep things stronger for the gals. And I guess Skylar too; even though she ain’t really my thang, I can appreciate her charisma and skill.

38. PaulR1 says:

is all over people,,,,,,philipp phillps ,,jessica sanchez,,,,final 1 and 2 or vice versa…..heejun han,,,,will go finale 5 or 4….for entertainment…..his very likable….not for his singing but for his funny antics….

39. Miss Otis Regrets... says:

Looks like Phillip has discovered the awesome Cali smoke. Boy needs to understand that toking up and live TV, not a good mix.