American Idol's Season 11 Top 12 Women Perform: Who Was Your Favorite? Take Our Poll!

jessica sanchez idolThis just in: Randy Jackson made a huge mistake. I know, I know, you’ve been aware of that for a decade now, but the big news is that the Dawg actually admitted it on Wednesday night’s edition of American Idol.

Yes, fellow Idoloonies, the headmaster at Our Lady of Limited Vocabulary Preparatory School confessed to Ryan Seacrest that after watching Tuesday’s telecast — featuring performances from Season 11’s Top 13 guys — that maybe, just maybe he and his fellow judges could’ve been a little more critical. Ya think?

But hey, let’s take progress where we find it, and be thankful that the judges didn’t spend the entirety of Wednesday’s two-hour telecast on evasions, half-truths, and lies. And let’s also hope that starting next week, it won’t just be female contestants who receive negative feedback while the men skate by with cries of “beautiful!” “glorious” and “emotionally perfect!”

Chelsea Sorrell, Carrie Underwood’s “Cowboy Casanova”
Sang in tune, but enunciated as if her jaw had been wired shut. Also, in interest of full disclosure, crazy binding of breasts made me feel skittish.

Erika Van Pelt, Heart’s “What About Love”
Mother-of-the-bride fashion and No. 2 performance slot might prevent her from taking her rightful spot in the Season 11 Top 10. She’s actually really solid.

Jen Hirsh, Adele’s “One and Only”
Really pretty voice, but perhaps a little too studied to convey all the emotion of that Adele ballad? Elise’s Pimp Slot triumph didn’t help her cause.

Brielle Von Hugel, Otis Redding’s “(Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay”
Not half bad for an exit performance.

Hallie Day, Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good”
Really pretty, sultry vocal, but Adam Lambert and Jennifer Hudson have sung it better and more charismatically in very recent times. Call 9-1-1, Shannon Magrane is about to rob her!

Skylar Laine, Faces’ “Stay With Me”

Baylie Brown, Lonestar’s “Amazed”
Oh dear.

Hollie Cavanagh, Christina Aguilera’s “Reflection”
I heard flashes of brilliance percolate through the obvious stage fright. Judges’ effusiveness seemed like a way to help Hollie overcome a serious lack of Season 11 screen time.

Haley Johnsen, Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)”
This song brought down Tiah Tolliver on X Factor, and sorry to say, even Tiah’s vocals were more on point than Haley’s.

Shannon Magrane, Kathy Troccoli’s “Go Light Your World”

Jessica Sanchez, Jennifer Hudson’s “I Love You I Do”
If this was Jessica with swollen and sore vocal cords, then she might as well skip the next eight weeks and head directly to the Top 5.

Elise Testone, Adele’s “One and Only”
Ambition and emotion slightly outweighed actual execution, but still among the night’s Top 3 females. Room-service flowers in her hair made her a mortal lock for results-night success.

Your turn. What did you think of the Top 12 ladies. Which five will sail thorugh to the finals without the help of a wild card? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to expand on your opinions!

1. BRS says:

Holy honest feedback Batman!
    The judges were spot on tonight, and aside from where duly noted, the ladies really brought some solid talent to the stage. Breaking the WGWG trend with a female winner is a very strong possibility this season.

• shanekwa says:

NO BLACK WOMEN????

• Owen says:

The Sanchez makes up for it!!!! Go Jessica!!!!!

• darcy's evil twin says:

Unless you count Shannon Magrane/Lauryn Hill. ;-)

• freedom says:

Chelsea Sorrell

• A.W. Baimun says:

… and an ocean of blonde girls.

• Ben says:

I think this accounts for why I don’t really need many girls to get through this year. They all blend together way too easily.

• jj says:

seriously. so many of them look and sound the same! it’s setting themselves up for failure. the guys, i can remember the difference between most of them- if not by their singing, then by their looks/personality. but the girls? at least half of them i can’t remember a thing about, and have to go back and figure out what they sang and then (if it’s a song i didn’t know) still have to think a bit harder. this is why i liked crystal bowersox so much. from the start, she had a defined PERSONA that worked in an artistic sense. But everyone being pretty and flat ironed within an inch of their life seems more appropriate to a beauty pageant than the personality fest that idol is. sure, some of them shoot guns and what not, but since most of them were down home good ol’ country girls, that part of their package did nothing for me. oh. and one girl could do some gymnastics. woohoo.

• tiwanna says:

No black women with talent so why put in a token?

• Hugh says:

Candice Glover? She would have been better than that dreadful Haley Johnson.

• SallyinChicago says:

I thought maybe the 16 yr old who fainted would get in. But I also think maybe the boys who auditioned this year were just a weak bunch, because at least three of the women are great singers. I had to strain to like two of the boys. But this is not as good a group as last year anyway.

• Christina says:

We actually had judges tonight! Hopefully that just doesn’t last for the female contestants only. And here’s to hoping the WGWG trend gets broken up by a girl this year.

• Joseph says:

I think I saw another show , the judges let a lot of stuff get through that should have been called out.
        As for the show :)
        Okay 1st the worst train wreck of a vocal and song choice , Haley Johnsen – HORRIBLE attempt and version of Sweet Deams Are Made of This.
        Then you had the battle of One and Only with both singers missing the mark but for different reasons ,, Jen Hirsh had a clean vocal but no soul and the vocal from Elise Testone was a train wreck but at least I believed she connected to the song.
        Then there was Shannon Magrane , who should have just gone for it and taken the AI idol to some Wednesday evening worship.
        Most everyone else took the stage and failed to have a vulnerable moment , the exception being Hollie Cavanagh who did an AMAZING job with Reflection , she reminded me a little bit of Kellie Pickler and hopefully will stay another week :)

• AdamWasRobbed says:

The judges once again confused the heck outta me.
        Thought Holly Cavanaugh was superb with probably the most difficult song of the evening and they give her a, “Eh, you coulda done better.”.
        Then J Lo and Tyler try to give Haley Johnsen a “Well Done” for that crapped up version of “Sweet Dreams”? (Thank you Randy for calling it out for what it was… A Nightmare…).
        Thought Jessica Sanchez was superb, followed by Holly C. and then thought Elise Testone was fabulous…
        Obvious from what I’m reading that we have a lot of people hearing different things so far…. Guess we’ll see what happens when the start to “thin the herd” a bit… :-)

• See the judges keep thinking that we want them to be Simon, and although I miss some of the Simon-esque comments, in all sincerity all I want them to do is be honest and critical. They got panned last year, and they got panned last night. Not everyone is great or else they wouldn’t be on this show they would be selling out arenas and making millions, but no, they are on a competition show without judges actually judging.
      -Tonight they didn’t make fun of anyone or say something outlandish, they pointed out the flaws in the performances, like Baylie and Hollie and Chelsea, and then were on point about Jessica and Elise and Erika to name a few. You can’t say everyone is great or else everyone is gonna be clumped together so much that when you are critical or are overly praising someone it becomes too polarizing. There has to be a level playing field, and if Eben Frankawhatsit makes it into the Top 13 then only the judges are to be blamed for not telling that kid that he was awful. They should know by now that teen girls vote for teen white boys, so they should have told him the truth, not sugar coated it. Tonight’s a start, but I’m scared for what’s possibly to come in the next few months.

• SallyinChicago says:

Well a couple of things Simon would have criticized:
        1) 16 year olds singing adult songs (agree)
        2) the clothing on those women. My eyes started bleeding from the bling and sparkles. Overdone!

• somebody says:

No, the judges and the show are as fake as ever. It’s easy to see. I had hoped otherwise but I can see all the same sad signs of last year. I just can’t stomach them or the show any more.
      Skylar is simply beyond awful, worst of the worst and simply beyond annoying and yet they are treating her like she is the second coming. She is another producer’s country pet even though she is 100x more annoying than Lauren and 20x more annoying than Scotty and vastly worse than Lauren and worse than Scotty.
      If they are going to be fake why not at least prop up someone with star looks and a nice, friendly, non-super annoying personality, like Baylie?? If you won’t give us the best voice then why not the best looks and personality? Plus in earlier weeks her voice was way better than last night anyway, way better.
      Baylie definitely had more than a few pitch issues tonight but she was still better than Skylar and better than Hayley (who had a weird and rough night, sad to say) but she was the only one to get the 100% hate treatment and, in fact, Skylar all but got the praise of the heavens.
      Anyway the judging and producing and the show are a joke. So here is to Baylie and Hayley in the top five along with Shannon (who is also cute and actually did pretty well tonight).
      Can you imagine how utterly raving nuts it would drive JLo if Baylie were to stick around for a few weeks? Then nightmares that would rightfully haunt Randy if Haley stuck around and he had to hear that name again each week? And Nigel would probably explode.
      Jessica and Elise were probably the best of the night but hey this is Idol so who gives about the singing. It’s pointless. They show has been turned into 100% fake joke bs.

• Ultra Venia says:

I was not a big Skylar fan to start, but she tore it up last night. As for Baylie, well, in the audience, you can see Jeremy, the guy who cheers for everyone (that deserves it that is) shaking his head in a disappointed way during Baylie’s performance. I have to agree with him there…

• TheBeach says:

I really brightened at Randy’s oh so true comment that they over-praised and gave way to many passes last night. But all that hopefulness came crashing down in a steaming pile when the next singer, Brielle, got effusive praise from all 3 judges for a really mediocre performance.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, no kidding! Jennifer called her “a true performer”. ????? First, it was an odd song choice for her, IMO. It was too low for her range at the beginning of the song and the higher parts sounded awful as well. The pronunciation was annoying. I liked her a whole lot better last season when she sang “Grenade” with the group that had Pia Toscano. What the heck happened?

• Ruby says:

Right on. Has Brielle even BEEN to the Bay? No emotional connection at all that I could detect. She displayed none of the soul required to pull that song off.

• Snsetblaze says:

Both you and darcy’s evil twin hit it on the head although I think calling her performance mediocre was being generous. And why was she making “sexy” or “come hither” faces at the camera at the beginning of the song for a song that does not call for that at all?

• Tusk says:

Brielle was trying to channel Haley’s ‘come hither’ “Fallin'” performance, and failing.
            I know, typical comment coming from me, but if you watch and listen again (painful as it is), you can see/hear what I mean.

• RealityCheck says:

I thought Brielle sang sitting on the dock of the bay so that she could faint like the girl in hollywood week and garner more votes! I was kinda disappointed when she didn’t! :)

• AJ says:

Yeah a girl better win this year, especially with how much stronger they are than the guys. Jessica, Elise, Hollie, and Skylar each outdid all of the guys last night combined. Jen and Hallie were very strong as well, though I’m afraid neither will make it.

• Templar says:

To quote Steven Tyler, “Dream On”. Until they change the voting policy and take the power out of the hands of young girls with cell phones, you’ll never see another female win Idol.

• Jill says:

I didn’t like Jessica Sanchez’s voice – I thought her voice was terrible at the start of the song – seemed like it only got good when she could belt it out. When it was low and softer, just sounded bad.

• SallyinChicago says:

Jessica Sanchez! by a mile. That girl can sing and she can perform! Liked Elise too, but she’s too much Brooke White and we know where Brooke is these days. I hope Jess’ voice holds up.

• RealityCheck says:

OMG we definitely watched the same show. I thought about Brooke when Elise performed too. Only thing is I never quite connected with Brooke and I really like Elise. Jessica was my favorite, followed by Elise and suprisingly Skyler! I thought she sounded better than I have ever heard her and came across as really likeable in her interview.

• cathy says:

I thought I had made a mistake and turned on a Cheerleading tournament instead of idol. Wow, not one black women, not one with short hair, not one that is the least bit overweight. I guess this is what it takes to have Idol have a women win. Fill all the spots with eyecandy that can sing to some extent. It will be interesting to see what the tweens and cougars do with these. I couldn’t keep the blondes straight either. What was there 7 out of 12 blondes

• Ultra Venia says:

Least bit overweight??? Hell, the girls were so big I had to take it off of widescreen to watch. No, no one was morbidly obese, but morbidly obese != the least bit overweight.

• John says:

I would hardly say that all the spots were filled with eye candy. Only three of twelve are actually out and out hot and at least two and possibly all three of those ones are going home tonight thanks to the instant six at once cut.
        Some of the bunch are not remotely hot. And not all of them are that thin. And if you are healthy and young, you probably are not going to be overweight and the contestants top out at age 28 and many are like practically half that age so what do you expect? None of them looked unhealthy either way.
        Looking at dial idol it seems the tweens and cougars have eviscerated the hottest ones already (although to be fair, the hottest two of all, didn’t really have a very good night, too bad, not that they would have survived the jealous voters more than a few more weeks anyway unless they had the best two performances by a mile every single night, but it was a shame, one of them seemed like a real character and the other one seemed really sweet and nice too, just rough nights at the worst possible time).

• John says:

(And to be honest, there actually were some who do have a bit of extra weight if you really want to get down to it, but I’d rather not. Just not sure what you expected to see. Why should a bunch of young girls/women start at a couple of extra pounds and go up from there?? That’s not healthy.)

• JJ says:

Wrong. Chelsea has an a$$ that’s 2 axe handles wide. Jen is a freakin’ amazon. Skylar looks like Snookie from Jersey Shore, zaftig and cheap. And Elise is overpainted & homely. What show were you watching?

2. Christina says:

Can we just fast forward to May when the final 4 will be Jessica Sanchez, Joshua Ledet, Elise Testone, and Phillip Phillips?

• HOLLAYYY says:

and HOLLIE CAVANAGH! :(

• Snsetblaze says:

I’d probably add Skyler in as #5 (and remove Hollie from the top 10 at all) because she’s good and country has a big voting block (and I’m not a big country fan of the stuff on the radio although I like alternative country/folk/Americana).

• MamaLis says:

Sadly, I don’t know about Elise. She’s my favorite with that emotional voice and I’m-so-real-I’m-ackward-personality. But didn’t anyone catch the end of the show with WicKed JLO?? Elise had JUST performed and yet when JHO was asked to pick her “best female performances of the night,” she skimmed the girls and very purposefully left ELISE OUT!!! I fear a Hallie R. Re-dux!! She’s just meeeaaaannnn!

3. Elena says:

I actually really liked Hollie and hope she will get the chance to show what she can do without so many nerves affecting the vocals. Overall I thought the girls were far superior to the guys and am glad they acknowledged that they let several skate on by with subpar performances. Hoping Hollie, Hallie, Jessica, Elise, and Skylar make it through.

4. Deb says:

I don’t know about 5 but top three were Skylar, Jessica, and Elise. That’s all I got.

• somebody says:

dear god, skylar???????
      Nobody was worse than her, nobody is more utterly annoying than her and nobody else is more country than her.

• Tee says:

Funny – i can’t stand country music – yet Skylar kicked the ass out of the Faces…one of my fave songs.

• somebody says:

All I can say is all of my friends thought that it was beyond a disaster. Simply awful. We’d all listen to six hours of even Baby Lock Them Doors over 10 seconds of Skylar.

• Tarc says:

And the rest of the country thought it was amazing based on polling…

• Marsaili says:

Well, I guess it’s a good thing that you are the only person that hated Skylar’s performance—but it seems to go beyond that—you seem to be incredibly hateful of her—more than just, I really didn’t like that performance, you seem to be HATEFUL. Let me guess, you know her in real life and don’t like her so you thought you’d try to come here and smear her? Sorry kiddo—Skylar kicked ass no matter what you and your “friends” thought about it.

• jj says:

ok. i would NOT listen to baby lock… over skylar. but i think that people are being overly effusive when it comes to praising skylar. she’s cute and reminiscent of reba and she was really enthusiastic about the song, but i’ve heard as much at local karaoke. but there wasn’t anything particularly NEW she’s bringing to the table. if there were another good country singer singing, would everyone be saying she was amazing? if carrie underwood were in this batch, i don’t think anyone would be talking about skylar. Since she will probably stick around, it will be interesting to see what she can do with a song outside of her wheelhouse or if it will just be typical country retread every week. (which granted is what a whole bunch of the populace wants, but i personally like artists that bring something new as opposed to singers who just sing the same old type of thing.

• Ben says:

You seem to be in the significant minority, somebody. Also, up above? You said you wanted Baylie and Haley in – the two worst of the night. So I’m not really sure that you are judging on voice, maybe you just don’t like Skylar but do like Baylie and Haley??

• Ultra Venia says:

Only if it was on mute, because they are prettier. Skylar unfortunately looks like a Tracy Ullman character.

• w says:

Comment by Ultra Shallow.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh my gosh, I loved Skylar and I love Tracey Ullman, but you get a Made Me Laugh. :-)
            I’ve been trying to figure out who she reminded me of – other than reba.

• luke says:

JJ above said – “it will be interesting to see what she can do with a song outside of her wheelhouse or if it will just be typical country retread every week.” !?
          Skylar sang “Stay With Me” by the Faces – it is not a country song – it is a rock song – NOT in her ‘wheelhouse’ so week 1 she is already taking risks – plus she performed the heck out of it.

• somebody says:

What I said was that it’s hard to take the show the tiniest bit seriously anymore, especially after last year. And if it’s not just about the best voice each night, then why not have Baylie and Haley move on? Baylie is cute and seems to be very nice and from little I heard before last night she really didn’t sound bad. Haley seems kind of quirky and interesting and is cute and was way better before from little I saw of her. So why not? Only two or three singers really sang all that well and the rest were all varying degrees of whatever or train wreck so there is plenty of space left free.
          I only caught a little bit of those two earlier on, since I basically haven’t watched this season, but they seemed to have done way better in the past so maybe it was just an off night and there were not even close to 5-7 who blew it out of the park.
          Anyway, listen, I will agree that Baylie did miss a terribly high percentage of notes last night (I haven’t seen too much of her before, but it seemed like she did way better before tonight, maybe it was just nerves?), but so did Metal Head from last season, just to name one and all the girls seemed to going crazy for him and wanted him to stay. And yes Haley made a very risky song choice and then had the expected wreck, maybe even worse than expected, but I’m sure she can do a lot better than that and she appears to have some quirky potential.

• somebody says:

As for Skylar I just didn’t get the performance, do not like that style at all and then add in that some of the notes were just painful or strained, almost bleating, and it was a musical nightmare in my opinion. A style you least like of all styles and then with parts of it simply not well done and even the parts that were OK not any better than someone doing decently well at any old Karaoke night and what was there for me to like?
          I’m actually shocked that the idol loonies crowd is digging her. Especially last night. Stunned. I guess her style is very polarizing.
          Everyone I’ve talked to in person thought she had one of the worst train wrecks of the night. And I see similar comments on some forums too. But then I also see a whole bunch here and on a few other forums praising her like crazy.
          As many notes as Baylie missed and as weird and off-track as Hayley went I’d rather listen to even those two worst performances of theirs (yes, even with the TV picture off) than Skylar’s performance of last night. To be honest, I didn’t think any of those three performances last night were good though, but at least Baylie and Haley would for sure do at least somewhat better next week and sing in styles that I can tolerate while I’m sure it’ll be just more of the same from Skylar. Plus she is clearly a producer’s pet and after last year it would be refreshing to see a producer’s country pet not do well.
          Plus I know the producers were also mad and down on Baylie just because she kept resisting their push for her to get back to her country roots and sing country even though that is not her and those are not her musical roots. All they want is millions and billions of the country music crowd voting like mad.

• somebody says:

And I do think Baylie has much, much, much better in her. Nerves, racing heart, being strangled by a dress will send notes off key. I could be wrong, but I bet she would’ve done wayyy better if there had been a next week for her.

• somebody says:

And knowing Idol, they were probably pumping twelve-tone into her ear piece as she was trying to sing.

• w says:

So you don’t get country. Then step aside. Because Skylar was far from the worst – In fact hers was one of the best performances of both nights.

• SallyinChicago says:

Agree.

5. Slizabeth says:

American Idol hit the jackpot. They officially have a country music artist with both a good voice and a PULSE. SKYLAR LAINE had so much fun, and you could tell! She’s got TONS of personality, and I love it. Great performance tonight!

• Amanda says:

I agree. I am not a country fan, and got really tired of Lauren and Scotty last season (although they were decent vocalists). I didn’t see the whole show, but this performance blew me away.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Skylar’s performance gave new life to an old song that I hadn’t heard in a while. What a nice surprise! I was expecting a country song and never saw that coming. It was like sitting down to watch a movie you’re just sure you won’t like but end up thoroughly enjoying the show. Loved hearing a song by Faces, Rod Stewart’s old group! It was great to see a performance with some energy.

• Snsetblaze says:

She had one of the better song choices for the entire two nights. So many of the others’ choices were treacly, cliched crud. I like Adele’s songs (and I don’t include them in my crud comment) but I wish Idol (and The Voice) would give them a rest.

• Templar says:

I wish that these contestants would realize that taking on a song by a current vocal powerhouse like Adele is self-destructive. It would be like taking on an Elvis song in the 50s or a Springsteen song in the 80s. If you can’t do it as well or better, don’t do it at all.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree. I believe they’d be better off taking an older song and putting a new spin on it.

• Lo says:

Skylar has “STAR POWER” written all over her. I think she’s Idol’s best shot at a female winner this year, and she has the potential to sell a ton of records. I bet the Idol producers are drooling just thinking about the money that a Scotty/Skylar tour would make.

• Ruby says:

You must be related to her. Because my household thought she was one of the most annoying people ever to be on Idol. And that’s saying a LOT.

• me says:

@Ruby – +infinity
        That IS saying a lot and yet I find it hard to disagree and same can be said for everyone I’ve talked to in person about it.
        (and then her performance too, she sounded like a strangled goat on some notes and had that nasty country twang here and there ugh)

• Grace says:

AGREED! Geez, between the voice, the stage presence and the personality… win or lose, I’m betting that girl won’t be having money troubles anymore when this season’s through!

• Gorm says:

Completly agree. I’m not a fan of country and I never listen to country but her performance was incredibly good, such a spot on vocal and such genuine energy on stage. It felt like a real and established recording artist showed up and put the full effort into their guest star spot amid the formless blonde sea of Adele done badly.

• McFudge says:

I liked Skylar before she ever sang a note. When she very matter-of-factly, after having been sent to the hospital during Vegas week, said that even though she was sick, of course she’d be able to perform, “it’s only a minute”. No wailing and gnashing of teeth. Loved that coming from a young girl. And even though at one point I thought she was going to jump out of her skin last night, I thought her joy was infectious. I think the hyperactivity at one point was her being nervous, which I’ll take any day over the other kids whose nerves came out in flat notes and flat performances.

6. Zach says:

HOLLIE & ELISE <3

7. MSD says:

Very pleased and excited for Elise, Hollie, and Jessica. Gonna go start throwing all my votes Erika Van Pelt’s way- cause that gorgeous tone just HAS to make it through!! (and I’m worried…)

• TheBeach says:

Glad to hear that. While I thought Elise, Hollie and Jessica were stand-outs tonight, I thought Erika was right up there with them.

• Snsetblaze says:

I thought Erica was excellent – probably my third favorite of the night and figuring she needed the help, I threw more votes her way and hope she makes it through but if she wants to rock it out like she said she did, she actually needs to choose more of a rock song. “What About Love” is a pop song (like most of Heart’s later catalog). I would love to hear her on earlier Heart songs, which are more rock-oriented like Bebe Le Strange, Even It Up, Straight On, Crazy on You, Barracuda, or heck, even Ann Wilson’s version of Led Zeppelin’s Rock N Roll or The Immigrant Song would be great. She, and all other singers, should stay away from Alone though.

• C says:

I think Erika has one of the most beautiful pure voices that I’ve ever heard from a woman on this show. It’s got such a warm, clear tone to it, instead of the wide-open screaming tone that so many of today’s female pop singers have. I LOVED HER!

8. Elisabeth says:

I think that the girls are much stronger than the guys this year and am not really sure who will go through. I honestly think the only mortal lock is jessica, other than that, i think it’s a toss-up between some of the others. Hoping that Hollie (love her voice), Hallie, Skylar, and Jen make it through. All have really strong vocals.

9. Merlin says:

My Top 5 girls:
    Jessica
    Elise
    Hollie
    Skylar
    Shannon
    Can we just make the Top 13 ten girls and three guys? The girls were so much better!

• I hope they at least choose 2 girls and 1 guy for the wild card rather than adding 2 guys and 1 girl. The girls are significantly better. It’s really hard narrowing the girls because they are so good, and it’s difficult picking enough boys to actually fill out the Top 13. There are a few good males, but the number of great females far outnumbers the males.

• Ben says:

I’d go 3 guys, no girls. The girls are significantly worse, in my opinion.

• Devon says:

I agree Ben lol

• jj says:

i agree as well. it would be nice if they didn’t have to be chosen by gender. i have an idea for why the girls are weaker every year. you have two straight guys as judges who are CLEARLY influenced by how someone looks. so you get pretty girls that can sing a little bit who last longer through the vetting process than those with more talent that don’t look as good. if you’re not as pretty, you have to have a voice that can’t be denied. also, will someone please clue these kids in during hollywood week that noone cares about their stupid choreography? stop spending three hours trying to make up and memorize that crap and work on learning the song! memorizing it! i think we lose people that get nervous and crash and burn there that we probably shouldnt as well.

• Jonathan says:

Jessica is number 1 because she is the best singer on the american idol she sing ine the best song ever is i always love you everyone love that song i well vote for herto win thisyear

10. Boss says:

Where was Randy’s train-wreck detector last night?

• Christina says:

Seriously. We actually got some judging tonight. Only if they called out some of the train wrecks last night.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Randy’s train-wreck detector was in the dawg house last night. Yo!

• Billy says:

Listen! Now listen – that was very clever! You’re one of the best we’ve heard here and you know this reminds me that last year I was asked by a world famous author whose name I won’t mention to ghost-write…

• darcy's evil twin says:

Aw, shucks – thanks, Billy, but there are a lot of funny, clever, and insightful folks here.

11. sunny says:

“Randy said she reminded him of — wait for it — Lauryn Hill. I didn’t realize Lauryn Hill competed in Miss Teen USA.”
    You crack me up Slezak.
    What a great night on idol. Lots of great performances, and outfits to make fun of. Loved it!

• Anna B says:

I know – lolz! Total Miss Teen USA. Reminded me of that woman last year who sang in Spanish and was super, super pageant-y….I can’t even remember her name now but she didn’t last a hot minute in the Top 12.

• Christina says:

I double checked at Randy’s comment to. Comparing Shannon to Lauryn Hill, really Randy.

• Melissa says:

she made me think of a Disney princess – for better or worse.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Sweet Baby Jesus, please do not strike me dead for this but I positively hated Shannon’s version of Kathy Traccoli’s “Go Light Your World”. Did she learn nothing from Pia? What’s with the pageanty singing and that awful dress? She probably wants world peace as well. The song started uncomfortably low and out of her range, and I don’t think she’s the low, growly singer SHE thinks she is – or Randy Jackson thinks she is. Growly gospel music? Really? Only Randy would compare a White Bread Junior Miss Pageant Singer in a Dress from Nordstrom’s Mother of the Bride Collection to Lauryn Hill.

• TheBeach says:

Oh Darcy, I’m afraid you are actually my equally evil twin. Your posts are on-point, funny, clever and witty. I enjoy you!

• darcy's evil twin says:

To add to that disaster, and I can’t recall the exact words, but Jennifer made a comment about Shannon’s “passion” (?) and then said something like, “I don’t know what you’ve been through”. Come again? Shannon is the 16 year old daughter of a former St.Louis Cardinals World Series pitcher and lives in Tampa, Florida. If she’d even had to endure a few years of crappy St. Louis weather that would count for something but I’m guessing Shannon hasn’t “been through” much of anything. She seems like a nice girl, though.

• TheBeach says:

Ha…I lived in St. Louis for 8 years. The weather sucks.

• abc says:

Sometimes those kids end up being as messed up and going through as much as the inner city poor. At my private school it was the VERY richest and poorest kids, on average, who were the most messed up and did the most drugs.
            That said, it didn’t seem from the clips and her demeanor that that fits the bill in her case at all. Seemed like she had a good family life.
            Anyway I hope she makes it and enough with the snide pageant remarks, starts sounding a bit catty.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Okay then, enough of the snide pageant remarks but I didn’t care for her performance and I actually like that song!

• Snsetblaze says:

I hated that performance though I have been ok with her in the past. And that comparison to Lauren Hill was ridiculous. It did however make me wonder if she also had a large black woman living inside her and did her and Adam’s black woman know each other.

• RealityCheck says:

Hey hey hey! Native St. Louisan here! but you are right about the weather and right about Shannon! LOL

• Yo says:

Yup, the girl reeked of privilege and pageant, which, of course, is not really her fault – mostly a fortunate accident of birth she isn’t yet aware of. Umma gonna guess the pageant theme will work for her, ushering her into the top five with a mass of middle America votes. Personally, I can’t warm up to very privileged kids, perhaps because I once married one.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t have a problem with Shannon’s life – I certainly don’t hold that against her any more than I would hold it against someone that hadn’t had advantages. Life hands you what it hands you and at 16 it’s pretty much beyond your control. I just found Jennifer’s comment a bit odd.

• Carol says:

Jennifer finished the sentence with, “or maybe you haven’t been through anything yet.” So, not so odd actually.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Well, okay then. I stand corrected. But I’m sure she’s had trouble finding pants that are long enough because she’s so tall. ;-)

12. Anna B says:

Loved Hollie, Jessica, Skylar, Elise. Would love to see Erika go through, and maybe Jen Hirsh too.

13. Vetle says:

Loved about half of them.
    Jessica, Elise and hollie were the best for me, with Skylar, Erika, Jen and Hallie following behind.
    I want Jessica, Elise, Hollie, Skylar and Erika/Jen to make it, but I think Shannon will Erika’s or Jen’s spot because the world is not fair.

14. Andrea says:

I think the judges should use the 3 wildcards for all females. They are so much better than the guys. I like Hollie, Erika, Elise, Jessica, and Skylar. I’m not feeling Shannon but can tell she will make the top ten. I also think Hallie Day is really good, but not sure if she’ll get the votes. Would like to see another week of some of these ladies, so hoping for 3 females for the wildcards!

15. Pam says:

Haley Johnsen’s performance of Sweet Dreams was abysmal. Too bad because I enjoyed her intro video and she seems like a cool chick. But egads, that was awful.
    Top five for me were in order:
    Elise (wow, wow, wow, WOW)
    Jessica (sore throat? seriously?)
    Erika (I’m afraid people will forget about her and not vote. She is REALLY good.)
    Skylar (I seriously fell in love with this girl tonight. So much energy and fun. Fantastic.)
    Hollie C. – Hated the song choice, but I adore her.
    If these five make it, I will be incredibly happy.

16. Lo says:

The girls were great tonight! But I was very disappointed with Jen – her voice wasn’t great, and her body just looks SO AWKWARD when she performs! She needs to learn to move better. Other than that, loved the show! They should put 3 girls through for wildcards.

• Grace says:

My god Jen reminds me so much of Katharine McPhee in her Idol run – SO good but SOOO awkward and all over the place! Someone’s got to convince her to dial it back. Just because you CAN run and growl and hollerate all over the place doesn’t mean you should do all of it all at once all the time!! I really hope she sticks around long enough to figure that out, because I think she’s got an epic “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” performance in her somewhere…

17. dan says:

Why so harsh on Brielle? I find her endearing… She put on a show.

• Brigette says:

I actually really like Brielle’s tone. I want her to make it through, but I’m kind of doubting it will happen because of the poor edit she’s gotten so far.

• Holly says:

Yes, she sure did a lot of showboating! I have to agree with you there!

• Ben says:

Forget you are listening to Brielle, leave the room, and you could be listening to Haley at this point in the competition. It would be a shame if she went home because her mother is a pain in the butt.

• me says:

I didn’t think she was actually that bad although she didn’t seem particularly great either. I bet she’s a nice enough kid.

18. Henry says:

Hollie executed the Disney song beautifully and maturely. Not missing Thia at all.
    Didn’t get the appeal for Jessica. Her enunciation was awful.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, thank goodness. I wasn’t getting the love for Jessica after her last performance, either. I was reading the comments here and beginning to wonder if I was missing something. I’m just not that wild about her but I’m in the minority, obviously.

• Ben says:

In some ways, I’m glad there are some people who don’t like Jessica. Shes my favourite though.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Let’s not say I don’t like her. Let’s say at this point I’m still on the fence, but I can’t really explain why.

19. agreed anna! says:

these are my picks as well! i was so disappointed in baylie, i had such high hopes for that girl! reminded me of carrie underwood but i guess she just wasnt ready still :(
    i love elise, jessica and hollie in no particular order. and i also love skylar and her spunk though she’s not one of my favorite three. i like erika, her performance was pretty damn solid and she hit all of her notes plus she has an awesome tone and i think jen hirsch has potential that was not reflected in her performance tonight :(

20. Paisley says:

Top 5: Jessica, Hollie, Skylar, Elise, maybe Shannon over Erica for fifth spot. Was blown away by Hollie b/c I’d not expected such a big voice from that tiny girl , same with Jessica but at least she had some Hollywood Week exposure so I just knew she’d be great. Elise made the most of her spot and her voice and we loved her. Skylar made me smile what a natural performer and so talented. Shannon had some nice vocals but reminded me of the singers on the Lawrence Welk show. The way she looked, not her voice, LOL. Jen Hirsch underwhelmed me and I was horrified at the performances of Baylee and the one who sang Sweet Dreams.

21. Justin says:

Top 5 for me:
    Elise – Absolutely love her voice and ability to connect to the song (so rare for Idol). Looking forward to more from her.
    Jessica – Spot-on vocals. Great stage presence.
    Skylar – The biggest shocker of the night for me. I don’t like current country music at all but this like firecracker easily demolished Chelsea and Baylie and was an absolute joy to watch.
    Hollie – Very nicely done. Great vocals, range. Cute. Where is she from? I detect some kind of accent.
    Erika – Just barely. Love her smooth lower register. Solid vocal, terrible outfit. I’m afraid her horrible singing position is gonna do her in but she might get Wild Carded.
    Chelsea, Haley and Baylie need to go ASAP. It’s up in the air for the rest. I am still not buying into the Jen Hirsh love. I find her voice just plain unpleasant to listen to.

• Anna B says:

As they mentioned in season 10, and is on her AI official profile, Hollie is originally from Liverpool (UK), although she lives in Texas now.

22. Dani C says:

Wow! Overall a great night, especially compaired w/last nights horror show. I loved Jessica and Elisa, but i am pleasently surprised to say my fav of the night was Skylar-girl blew my mind! Holy cow, if she doesn’t make it to atleast the the top 5, it will be a travesty.
    On a sidenote, I really hate the judges; a lot….like everything they say makes me want to punch them in the face.

23. aizjanika says:

I don’t know if I can vote tonight. It seemed as if nearly everyone started in a key too low or something, and almost everyone was off-key quite a bit or at least some of the time. A few were just hot messes the whole way through, even ones I’d previously liked. I was disappointed, because I don’t think anyone showed their best tonight, and that’s what I want to see.
    Of the girls, I think Skylar Lane was great, but not a great song, a little too frantic in the performance.
    Holly Cavanaugh was one of the few who sounded great. I didn’t even remember her from the auditions or Hollywood, so I noticed her. I’ll be interested to see what she does from here going forward, if she stays, because I’d like to see what else she can do.
    Elise Testone was also great, but not a great song. I think even she hit a couple of bum notes, but overall was good–just not a good song for her, I think.
    I actually felt very bad for Baylie Brown. I only remember seeing her once before, but I thought I remembered liking her, but tonight was not good at all. I felt the same about Haylie Johnson. I’d especially liked her before, but she was awful tonight. Too bad, because I would have liked to see her go forward, but I doubt that will happen after that performance.
    Overall, I thought tonight was very disappointing, as were the boys last night.
    I guess the ones I think will go through are Hollie, Elise, and Skylar. After that, everyone else hit so many bum notes and/or had other problems that I can’t even begin to guess who people might vote for.

• lemon says:

I agree with you re: too may people starting too low. Hollie sounded gorgeous in her middle register, but her lower register was just weak. Stuff like this makes me think of Kelly Clarkson, who had no weak register….every register was beautiful, full, round, gorgeous…..sigh. Will we ever have anything close to Kelly again?

24. David says:

Not getting the love for Jessica at all. Bored me, really. Thought Hollie was terrific and has a lot of potential, and I don’t think I’ve seen someone with Skylar’s energy on that stage in a long time. Overall I have not been impressed with this years crop of contestants though, guys or girls.

• Yesenia says:

Agreed. Love Skylar, not so much love for Jessica Sanchezzzzzzzzzzz…

• Dan says:

Hollie sings a disney ballad… and you’re bored with Jessica who can wail like J-hud, growl like it’s nobody’s business and move around on stage?

• David says:

Maybe it was from a whole night of mediocre performances. And what the Hell is wrong with a Disney ballad if it’s sung well? Cynical much?

• Eurydice says:

I like Jessica a lot, but what made her boring was that practically everybody was wailing and growling – with all the screeching and hollering and bellowing, it was like feeding time at the zoo.

25. Joe says:

My top 5? Skyler, Jessica, Hollie Cavanaugh, Elise & Shannon. I want to put Erica in the top 5 but Shannon out performed her in my eyes. Jen made a HUGE mistake going up against Elise w/the same song. That’s it for her. The rest were forgettable.

• TheBeach says:

So glad you mentioned that. I was truly surprised that they let 2 girls sing the same song.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Does anyone recall another instance where two contestants sang the same song on the same night? That was unusual.

• mark says:

Season 2 Clay Aiken and Josh Gracin ‘to love somebody’ by the Bee Gees was the last time, I think.

• Kelly says:

Also, in Season 4, Carrie and Anthony Federov both sang “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” for Top 4 week. I actually remember Anthony getting better feedback for this song. It was one of Carrie’s lesser performances.

• Johnny says:

The contestants each submitted a song list, and the producers chose the songs the contestants actually sang. So this might have been a ploy to either gt one of the two out or promote the, both by showing two different styles for the same song, but it was probably a bad call.

• Joe says:

Wow. If that’s true than I can understand why Jen didn’t seem up to par for her last night. To be given the same song as Elise and then put in an early death slot while Elise got a pimp slot pretty much would crush anyone’s confidence. Elise’s style made the song feel more authentic while Jen felt like a merely good hotel singer on it last night.

26. Lauren says:

Hollie Cavanagh gave me goosebumps. Hopefully she will choose more interesting songs in the next weeks, but wow she was phenomenal!

27. woooh yes pam says:

exact same picks for me and your critiques are spot on! :) didn’t love the song choice for hollie but there’s something i love so much about her and her voice :)

28. marie says:

Jessica, Elise, & Skylar, with Erika and Hollie close behind. A few others were enjoyable as well. Jessica is amazing. Girls MUCH better than the guys overall.

29. gohollie says:

I have a bad feeling at least 2 of the wildcards will be used on guys. I think that several bad contestants (Eben, Jermaine, Chase, white chocolate..) will get voted in, and the judges will feel like they have to use their wildcards on the good guy performers (even if they weren’t as good as th girls.)

• Ben says:

Eben and Chase are the two bottom on nearly every single poll I can find. If either get through I’ll be truly surprised. I’m not sure where the impression that they will get through comes from? Other younger contestants, like Eben, who have gotten through “unexpectedly” have actually had their getting in well signposted on various polls.

30. lemon says:

I’m not even into country, but Skyler….dang girl! Whatever ‘x-factor’ really means….she has it.
    I preferred Jen’s voice to Elise’s….much clearer, smoother, and better supported. I think I’m in minority on that though. Elise’s voice is a bit too ‘gravelly growl-y’, and that gets old fast.
    Somehow I think Skyler is this years Scotty, and will probably take this thing. You can’t buy that kind of charisma. She just has ‘it’.

31. Owen says:

Honestly, what are some of you seeing in Shannon I’m not…cause she’s really…look up mediocre in the dictionary and you’ll see a picture of her performance…

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree. I was underwhelmed by her performance and then the judges acted as though it was fabulous. Didn’t get it.

• jj says:

i’m with both of you. completely mediocre. third place in the miss teen florida pageant. but she does get miss congeniality! (and i’m saying this as someone who DID pageants)

32. mailmanjimmy says:

Skyler the next Miranda Lambert? Wow. Baylie was all hype..America’s next Model is waiting for your audition. Jessica..Wow! Think girls might have stolen a wild card spot from the guys again.

33. Elle says:

Picks for Top 13:
    Girls: Elise, Hollie, Skylar, Jessica, Erika, Shannon, Hallie
    Guys: Phillip, Heejun, Deandre, Colton, Joshua, Chase

34. Elise says:

I thought Elise was the best, but I’m probably biased by her spectacular name. I also liked Hollie, Skylar, Jessica, Hallie, and Shannon — even though she was totally pageant-ish, she’s got a great voice and will only improve with vocal coaching and a good stylist.
    BTW — Somebody PLEASE talk to Nigel and fix the sound problems that have plagued the show for the last two seasons. I don’t need to hear the band & back-up singers over the idol contestants! Why are they so much louder? Michael! Use your pull, call your buddy and do something about this!

• Billy says:

True, but let’s count our blessings that Idol hasn’t gone down the same road as X-Factor and drowned out the contestants with the audience’s screams.

35. Johnny says:

Erika, Skylar, Hollie, and Elise for sure, Jessica or Jen or even Hallie in the fifth spot.
    I would love to see Brielle get sent through by the judges just for the reaction, but she’s dunzo.
    Extremely surprised by how bad Baylie was- I figured she’d be one of the pimped girls this year, but she doesn’t even deserve a wildcard chance after that doozy of a performance.
    I so wanted Haley to do well, but that song was horrible. The song selection probably reflects who the producers want through, since the songs were chosen by producers from a short list created by the contestants.
    Shannon is the epitome of a Stepford-Wife-To-Be.
    Also was wondering if Chelsea had lockjaw- ironic reference!
    Erika, Skylar, and Elise are tops for me right now, maybe even overall in the whole competition.

36. somebody says:

Skylar HAS TO GO! Simply horrendous, annoying and way too country to boot.
    Elise and Jessica would need to stay if vocals actually meant anything on the this show, but they don’t, but I will toss them in as the two token singers who did well anyway, just for laughs.
    I will then round it out with Baylie, Hayley and Shannon. Two of them were not so good tonight. Hayley took on a dangerous, dangerous song that almost nobody can make work on this sort of show and it was a wreck, sadly. But they were not bad in the earlier rounds. Baylie never missed that many notes the entire previous rounds combined, not even close, so I’ll give her a pass for an off night tossed off pitch by nerves. Plus her super hot looks will drive JLo completely over the edge.

• Ben says:

Baylie missed about that many notes in every performance in the previous rounds. I was really hopeful for Baylie when she returned, so I’m not knocking her just to do it. But she let me down long before tonight. This wasn’t a surprise at all.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I agree about Baylie, and as they say, “That’s why they run the race”. She doesn’t deserve to move on, super hot looks or not. I laughed out loud when I read Mr. Slezak’s comment: “Oh dear” – because that’s exactly what I said when she sang not only badly, but with less-than-zero passion.

• lemon says:

Baylie is really beautiful, but was the weakest singer tonight. She could be an actress though. She should get together with Ashley Benson in the new NBC nighttime soap, “Darcy and her Evil Twin.” I see Ashley as Darcy, and Baylie as her evil twin Marcy.

• TheBeach says:

Plus they’ve got that other girl (Goin’ Down) that looks like Jessica Rabbit, so they’re good.

• Gorm says:

Skylar will go….. straight through to the top 13, then likely to the top 5. Her vocal was fun, accurate and on pitch throughout. Her dancing was energized and carried her love of the song she was singing. She’s got talent within her lane that cant be denied and she’ll be here for a while. I’m sorry that you only like hands-clasped-across-your-gown ballads and clumsy reaches into Adele’s territory, but one or two of your generic blonde champions will go through by default next week, dont be too upset.

• Marsaili says:

Oh come on Somebody, didn’t you tell us in great detail how much you hate Skylar above? Really, let it go already!

37. Margo says:

Jessica and Hollie were the only ones who mattered tonight!

38. Carly says:

I like Jen Hirsh, but during her performance I couldn’t help thinking of Lauren Gray’s audition, which I personally like much better.

39. somebody says:

I also don’t like that they stuck with the sudden 24->12 thing again. It stinks.
    I have a feeling I won’t be watching any more after the results tomorrow night. So tonight was my one night of viewing for this season. Just as well. After last season, they proved they don’t deserve ratings from anyone anymore.

• Ben says:

I love it. By far my favourite semi system… absolutely by far. I couldn’t stand dragging through three weeks of listening to the same average performances so they could get knocked off in week 3, or in the case of some (Paige Miles) make it into the top 12. This system forces people to vote their favourites, and as a result we see the best get through. I bet Eben doesn’t make it, but I bet under the old format he would have, because he only has to avoid being in the bottom two each night instead of the bottom 7.

• somebody says:

But it’s a dangerous thing too since sometimes it can take a couple performances for the voting public to catch on to someone good. And one bad song choice during 24-12 and you have absolutely, utterly zero chance to be able to survive since it will be the one and only thing to resonate with voters, later one someone who is really good can sometimes survive a bad choice (as soon as I saw “Sweet Dreams” I already knew Haley was a goner, although she did a lot worse with it than I had expected on top (too bad since she seemed like she might be an interesting character, I had hoped she’d be able to sing better). Say you think Elise is great, what if she had done Sweet Dreams this week or Jessica had? boom they’d be goners just like that).
        If Dial Idol is to be believed Eben is breezing into the top five, so I don’t think it will work to remove him, instead someone much better and more ready than him won’t make the top five boys.
        But then again, Idol no longer cares about being good so you say who cares if here had been someone great he didn’t have time to catch on so what does it matter? Well the 24-12 STILL stinks, since even if you can’t take the show seriously anymore you can’t even get a little eye candy out or some weird and bizarre performances out of it, since it all goes the very first week instead of slowly over a few weeks.
        Looking at Dial Idol, the two super hotties would’ve likely survived another week, maybe two (maybe more if at least one of them got back on board again with the vocals).
        Plus we won’t get to see JLo’s head spin around in circles form having to look at someone like Baylie who is so much younger and hotter than she is.
        Or get to see Randy to go into wild rants the second he hears the name Haley again.
        I should never have even started watching it again the last couple of weeks. All the hotties will be gone as soon as they arrived. The producers already love the country girl Skylar so Elise and Jessica and the others who showed more hope of providing top vocals are just going to get “ahh I don’t know. baby, baby” while Skylar will get praise beyond all imaginings each week. You can already see clear hints that they will not judge everyone evenly. The whole show is a joke if you try to take it seriously. And it doesn’t even work even if you don’t take it seriously.

• Ben says:

Dial Idol isn’t to be believed.

• Ben says:

It is currently about the single worst predictor of idol results out there. It simply doesn’t work any more in a time with text and online voting.

• somebody says:

Actually dial idol has done amazingly well the last few seasons, far better than you’d ever think it could considering all the power texting and online voting. But seriously look at the past results and it generally did very well.
            HOWEVER, you do have a point in this particular case, the sudden cut where six get cut in one week. Someone pointed out on another thread that their predictions had a terrible time with the giant cut the first time they used it (last season). They said that the raw dial idol count, usually not accurate, did prove to be 100% accurate for the mega cut week though. The raw numbers do NOT have Eben and Brielle on top, so yeah the dial idol stuff we posted above is probably completely off base.
            (And I will shut up about Skylar and maybe Idol in general, I think the show just lost me after last year, I don’t even know why I turned it on again the last couple of weeks. I just have zero respect for it at this point. So much of it is so much more fake than even people the who suspect it might be fake think. But for those still trying to take it at face value, I will just bow out. I’m too biased against it to even comment fairly about anything to do with it any more.)

40. me says:

“Skylar Laine, Faces’ “Stay With Me”
    I haven’t had this much fun watching Idol since…actually I don’t know that I’ve ever had this much fun watching Idol.”
    How can someone who worshiped (and rightly so) Haley R. last season make the statement quoted above?????? I sincerely hope that was meant with the deepest sarcasm.

• Billy says:

I can understand Michaels point; it was pure hee-haw fun watching Skylar’s performance. Haley was awesome last season, but the only performance by her I thought was “fun” was her duet with Casey, and even that was more WOW THAT WAS GREAT than fun, IMO.

41. karenb says:

Do you ever get the feeling that Ai reads your recaps, Slezak?! It’s AMAZING how all of a sudden the judges become so “critical” over night. Ugh.
    That being said, I thought the guys did way better than the girls.
    But oh snap! The judges didnt get the memo to throw the guys under the bus! Haha! It was funny to see them all flip flop tonight and make the girls the superior contenders. Whatever.

• Ben says:

Slezak is god, and it is entirely due to him that the judges were harsher tonight. (No, not really… there are dozens of idol blogs and columns out there, many of whom have similar views to Michael on the judging. There is also fan reaction on twitter, etc. They will keep an eye on all media buzz, and I’m sure Michael is a part of that too. But they’d only react if they felt it was valid. This time it was.)

42. coco says:

Deserving Finalists:
    Guys: Joshua, Phillip, Colton, Deandre, Jeremy, Heejun
    Girls: Hollie, Jessica, Elise, Erika, Skylar, Jen, Hallie
    Realistic Finalists:
    Guys: Phillip, Joshua, Heejun, Chase, Eben, Jermaine, Colton
    Girls: Jessica, Shannon, Skylar, Elise, Hollie, Baylie

43. James says:

Hollie was by far my favorite so most of my votes go to her!
    However I threw in a few sympathy votes for Baylie simply because she is the hottest chick out of all 12…Give me 5 mins with her and i’d do anything!

• Billy says:

I think Hollie has an understated beauty and an unpretentious deportment that’s going to help keep her from alienating female voters, while still appealing to the guys.
      Don’t worry, Baylie will by fine doing commercials or modeling.

• Miscellanopolan says:

Okay. I’ve read a lot of these comments and I’ve gotta ask: why did people like Hollie’s performance so much? I didn’t DISLIKE it; I thought it was fine, about on the level of Shannon Magrane’s stand-there-and-sing-pretty type of delivery, but I don’t get the love. I would put Hallie Day’s soulful rendition of Feeling Good above Hollie Cavanaugh’s Disney balled, decent though it was.

44. Davey says:

I think I’ve outgrown this show. The format, style of singing and arrangements all seem terribly dated. I thought Jessica and Elise were the best.
    What’s with Hollie’s pronunciation? She was nervous obviously and can sing but I didn’t care for her.
    I agree though that the girls were better than the boys. I think Creighton was thrown under the bus tonight which is a shame because he actually can sing, unlike Eben.

45. Ben says:

I’ve seen HeeJun, Jessica and Hollie all get criticism for the way they pronounce things. Do we have that much difficulty with people whose accents are not entirely American? For me, sounding different to anyone else I can listen to on the radio is a selling point, not a drawback.

46. jake says:

Seriously, elise, the one who sang last — she was absolutely awful, that and the eurythmics girl. The best: Jessica Sanchez, hallie day and hollie cavanaugh (does she have an accent>?)
    Hallie’s number is 5705
    jessica 5711

• TheBeach says:

Diff’rent Strokes for Diff’rent Folks, I guess. I thought Elise was the best of the night.

• Dan says:

Agreed. Elise is insanely talented. Maybe may favorite of the top 24. There are many great singers, but out of those, only a few whose album I would buy right now. I’d buy Elise’s in a heartbeat. She best be making it.

47. Stephie33 says:

Did anybody else receive horrible audio during the first three performances? The first two girls were drowned out by the backing vocals and music, and the judges’ audio sounded all tinney. Then abruptly in the middle of Brielle’s performance, it shifted to normal sound.

• Billy says:

Aha! I thought it was my local station out here in the sticks. Erika’s vocals were drowned out by the band, and she and Chelsea both sounded like they were in a phone booth singing.

48. Lindsay says:

This was definitely the more interesting of the two shows. My favorites tonight were Hollie, Hallie, Jessica, Elise, and Shannon (I loved the 16 year olds and hell is freezing). Skylar just needs to skip this silly competition and go put out her hit country album, stat. Erika was indeed solid and woke me up after Casanova, but not particularly inspiring. Jen was disappointing for me. Baylie and Haley were particularly painful train wrecks. Tepid feelings for the rest.

49. Rick says:

Go Hollie! :D , and I hope Haley gets through to piss Randy off.

• Danny says:

I feel bad for Haley, because I think she’s more talented than she showed last night–but why pick that song? WHY?

• somebody says:

Yeah, it was a shame. I suspect there is a lot more to her. But that is just not the song that you pick. With the six gone in one week, I think it’s just about certain we will never know. I don’t see how she makes it since, being 100% honest, that may have been the worst performance of the night (although I did find one other to be more unpleasant, even if technically better, but I’ve said too much already) and with this being the first voted upon performance there is way too little to fall back on. I can’t honestly say I disagreed with Randy’s take on it, for once he spoke more truth than the other two.

50. forwarders says:

If Eben makes it there is no hope for the show. Horrible and I hate his
    Personality. Too cocky. Wont forget how he danced behind poor David in the green mile walk.
    I think Jessica has it all. Total package .