Scoop: Josh Hopkins Cast in NBC Comedy Pilot — What Does This Mean For Cougar Town?

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Josh Hopkins Cougar TownNBC is betting against Cougar Town getting a fourth season.

The network has cast the show’s leading man, Josh Hopkins, in Lady Friends, Kari Lizer’s comedy pilot about two life-long female pals — Nicole (Better Off Ted‘s Andrea Anders) and Jen — who are living very different lives but can’t live without each other. Hopkins would play Nicole’s hubby.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the Always-Scary ‘Second Position’)

The gig is in second position (see definition) to Cougar Town, which essentially means NBC will be forced to recast Hopkins’ role should ABC renew C-Town for a fourth season (as well all hope it will.)

In fact, Fox’s New Girl and NBC’s (yet-to-debut) BFFs had to do just that — recast Damon Wayans Jr. and Adam Pally, respectively — when Happy Endings was renewed by ABC last spring.

In anticipation of Hopkins’ news leaking, C-Town co-creator Bill Lawrence took to Twitter to assure the show’s fans that “the odds of Cougar Town coming back are the same,” adding, “But if it’s a coin flip, I don’t want actors to be jobless/cashless… I want them to go out, make $$, then have to be recast because our show comes back. I still believe — promise.”

Comments (32)

• Cougar Town has been on for 3 seasons?
    Wow
    How did that happen?
    CRAP
    NBC is guessing RIGHT!

Comment by PutAforkINit – February 28, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly you have never seen an episode of cougar town beyond the pilot.
      #sixseasonsandamovie

Comment by Sam – February 28, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t see how this isn’t a bad sign for Cougar Town. :(

Comment by Sk – February 28, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When it wasn’t clear if Happy Endings was coming back, Damon Wayans jr. did the pilot for New Girl, and that role had to be re-cast. This is just actors trying to have some form of job security. There is no reason to freak out yet. I swear, the doom and gloom from all the fans is making it really hard to enjoy the show this season.

Comment by Josh – February 28, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just seeing this headline took my breath away and not in a good way. Oh Cougar Town, please please don’t be cancelled. I may shed some real tears if Cougar Town is cancelled this year. I am still hoping they will get the pick up though. Their season has barely started. ABC renewed HE last year when it was on the brink, I’m sure they can do the same for Cougar Town, especially after saddling it with a terrible time slot (versus both Glee and American Idol and no quality lead in)

Comment by Ari – February 29, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nooooooooooo dang u abc just renew it already episode tonight had me continouslly laughing

Comment by ollie – February 28, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So if nbc is betting against CT getting a fourth season, I’m thinking community also will not get a 4th season as the ratings for both are quite similar.

Comment by Timelord – February 28, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well its not NBC’s decision to give Cougar Town a fourth season; it is ABC’s. Also, other shows on NBC have ratings similar to Community’s so there are strong chances of its renewal.

Comment by Amy – February 28, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except that NBC’s shows have a much lower average rating, so it bodes better for Community than Cougar Town.

Comment by Josh – February 28, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this happens more than we think. Sophia Bush was cast in an ABC comedy but she did not go on because OTH was renewed. I REALLY hope Cougar Town lives on it is SO good!

Comment by Lara – February 28, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PutAforkINit : why you comment for a show you don’t like and don’t watch?! what a waste of time
    If CT is cancelled is too bad because the show is so funny and the cast have a great chemistry

Comment by sasha – February 28, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The same thing happened with Damon Wayans Jr from Happy Endings, he was in the pilot for New Girl but then Happy Endings got picked up for a second season, so they recast with Lamorne Morris. I don’t think that the news in itself is bad news for Cougar Town. I am not sure that it will back for another season, but this is what it is – actors making sure that they have work for next year one way or another.

Comment by JJ – February 28, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Andrea Anders seems like a lovely human being, but she’s a show killer, so I wouldn’t worry.

Comment by Kiki – February 28, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But KiKi, the show has to be on for Andrea to kill it. Can’t say I’d miss CT all that much. It has good points, but like Scrubs, annoys me too much in the end.

Comment by Cy – February 28, 2012 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True Kiki, she is a show killer. She does seem lovely and is quite pretty, I wonder why she is such a turnoff?

Comment by april-ann – February 28, 2012 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • April-Ann, I think the problem is chemistry, she doesn’t seem to have any. With anybody. It’s the same with poor Paula Marshall. Great actress, but can’t play a romantic lead because nobody believes her. Was at her best playing Jay Mohr’s snippy ex. As for you Cy, it’s a pilot, 22 minutes and while it will be seen at network level, that’s not a promise we will.

Comment by Kiki – February 29, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO CATS!!!!!!!

Comment by kyle – February 28, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, no! But all in all this can’t be surprising, since there have been many articles here regarding new ABC sitcoms for which they obviously must find berths. Cougar Town gave it their best shot, the best shot they could on the ABC (Already Been Cancelled) network. I hope Cougar Town is renewed too, but he has a supporting role on it whereas he’d be the male lead here. And really, a Kari Lizer comedy? I’m so happy for him. Ausi, who will play Jen?

Comment by april-ann – February 28, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking of Andrea Anders… just bring back Better Off Ted instead. heh

Comment by The Squatch – February 28, 2012 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo, Cougar Town has got to be renewed, its the best comedy.

Comment by juan – February 28, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How close is Cougar Town to syndication?

Comment by Sally – February 28, 2012 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not very close. I don’t even think they’ll be halfway there by the end of the season since this one was cut short. Let’s not panic. I swear we are all putting out bad karmic energy that is backfiring.

Comment by Jules Kiki Cobb – February 29, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be surprised if Cougar Town gets renewed. Its ratings are horrible and it is still 2 seasons away from getting to syndication (88 episodes).

Comment by Spencer – February 29, 2012 05:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on CT!

Comment by Stephanie – February 29, 2012 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don´t know what I´m going to do if they cancel Cougar Town, it´s an awesome show, a very awesome show! I love it, and I think it should get at least one more season.

Comment by Hanna – February 29, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It means the show ain’t coming back and doesn’t deserve to.

Comment by rob60990 – February 29, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did someone at Cougar Town run over your puppy or something? Why do you troll the internet looking for Cougar Town posts so you can write how glad you are the ratings are bad or the show is bad.

Comment by Pash – February 29, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s see the chances of getting a fourth season by quoting this very site…
    “Cougar Town, in its third week back and opposite Idol, dipped another 4 and 12 percent to NEW SERIES LOWS of 4.3 million and 1.5.”
    I’m sure it will get a fourth season… right… right???

Comment by Midori – February 29, 2012 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post