Ratings: Daytona 500 Drives CBS' Men to Series Low, Leads Fox to Monday Win; Smash Rises

Fox’s impromptu primetime coverage of a rain-delayed Daytona 500 rained on everyone else’s parade, driving almost every rival down in viewership.

What’s more, by averaging 14.24 million total viewers and a 4.5 demo rating, Fox’s NASCAR coverage about doubled its typical House/Alcatraz numbers and thus led the network to a rare Monday win on both counts.

Fox’s Spring Switch: Bones Moves to Mondays as Kiefer’s Touch Scores Post-Idol Time Slot

The night’s other headline belongs to NBC’s Smash, which with 6.9 million total viewers and a 2.4 rating enjoyed week-to-week gains of 6 and 4 percent. Might the musical drama wind up singing a happy renewal tune after all?

Michael Slezak’s Smash Recap: Serious as an Art Attack

Going hour-by-hour….

8 pm | The Voice drew 14.8 mil and a 5.4, dipping 8 and 10 percent week-to-week. How I Met Your Mother (9.1 mil/3.6) slipped a few percentage points, while 2 Broke Girls (10.1 mil/3.7) fell 11 and 7 percent. The Bachelor (8 mil/2.6) gained a tenth in the demo. Gossip Girl held steady in the demo (at 0.5) but gained 16 percent in audience (to 1.17 million viewers).

Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: ‘Twere Blind, But Now They See

9 pm | Even the resilient Two and a Half Men (11.8 mil/3.6) was not immune to NASCAR’s impact, dropping 11 and 14 percent to series lows; Mike & Molly (10.1 mil/2.9) was also down double digits. Hart of Dixie (1.4 mil/0.5) saw losses of 11 and 17 percent.

10 pm | Hawaii Five-0 led the hour with 9.44 million total viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, down 9 and 14 percent, respectively. Castle (9.1 mil/2.2) gained 5 percent in the demo to hit a five-week high, yet placed behind Smash in that measure.

What were you tuned into this atypical Monday night?

1. Joni says:

I definitely contributed to the Fox ratings boost for the Daytona 500. Turned the race on at 7pm and stayed with it until the checkered flag – even watched the Red Flag time.

• Velvet says:

Joni, I’m right there with you. I actually enjoy Red Flag time. Awesome crazy race. I wonder how Keselowski’s phone handled after he crashed out :)

• I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

That race was insane! I honestly didn’t think they were going to recover the track after the Juan Pablo spinout and the dryer catching on fire. Thank goodness no one was seriously injured!

2. Jarrod says:

Only Dair could lift ratings.

3. Mikaylah says:

I thought Hart of Dixie was really great last night. Too bad the ratings didn’t reflect that.

4. ESLKid75 says:

How did the Bachelor do in the ratings?

5. Jane says:

It cracks me up that the white trash event of the year crushed CBS’s lineup.

• jj says:

In a year where Rick Santorum is seriously a contender for president, that doesn’t crack me up at all. It just goes to show you that you can’t take it for granted what people like or think in this country. I personally cannot understand the allure of watching cars go round and round in circles for hours. now if it was a cannonball run street race? hells yeah!

6. Alex says:

Anyone know when they’re going to air House and Alcatraz? I was so disappointed to see NASCAR on my DVR recordings when I got home last night! Why couldn’t they do this on Friday when it’s a repeat of Kitchen Nightmares? Or Saturday? If people want to watch NASCAR, they’ll watch it…

• jennifer says:

If you are asking why they don’t run the race until Friday, because they have a race in Phoenix this weekend.
      I believe (don’t quote me) that they are showing House next week(?)

• kirads09 says:

I too feel a little cheated that I didn’t get to see Alcatraz.
      Are they going to adjust their schedule to show the House and Alcatraz that didn’t air? I am going to check if the Alcatraz episode is on demand to catch up tomorrow night (since very little is on Wednesdays that I like).

• Mike says:

Right…I’m sure the 100,000 fans that had tickets to the Daytona 500 were willing to wait a week to see the race. And possibly if they traveled, stick around in Florida for a whole week. LOL I would have loved to have seen Alcatraz last night but live sporting events are live sporting events. They take precedence.
      Alcatraz was scheduled to air 2 episodes next week so I think that will remain the case. Everything will just move out a week. I know House was scheduled to go on a temporary hiatus so, it may be longer to see that episode. Don’t know for sure. But, it’s the last season so I’m sure Fox isn’t too concerned with messing with its schedule too much. (just speculating here lol)

• Pash says:

I wish everyone would stop complaining about Nascar. It was one time! One day! Try watching the Amazing Race where pretty much every week the show is bumped for sports. Geez. Put on your big girl pants and move on. I’m sure you can find the episodes online somewhere.

• Kiki says:

It’s not wait a week to run the race it’s wait a week to air it so it can be edited into something other than mind-numbing circles and talking heads babbling about why they aren’t driving in mind-numbing circles.

• amanda says:

you can’t be serious? would they tape delay the Superbowl because it got rained out one night or some other act of God caused it to happen at a time other than scheduled? It’s a sporting event with a huge fan base that garnered more ratings than either of those shows could hope to. It gets aired live. Deal with it.

7. apor says:

Smash without the Voice would not even register anywhere close to H50 and Castle. H50 will be top spot and Castle a close second once DWTS returns and there is no Nascar to speak of.

8. Mark says:

My guess is that tweenies tuned in to Smash to see Nick Jonas hence the slight increase in ratings.

9. Demi says:

For those who did not watch 2 1/2 Men, you did not miss anything.

10. Jules says:

@Alex- episode 14 will air on March 19th
    Thank god, for us Canadian, thanks to Global they aired our [H]ouse episode at regular time 8pm..(normally, I always watch on Fox, but bcuz of the delay of NASCAR I decided to stick to the other network)
    But I’m sad for my 2 american friends( one live in Vermont & 2nd in Boston ) and ALL others [H]ousefans who had to deal/wait patiently to prying to be able to watch the episode, only to learn a bit later, that the episode would be presented only in March(so, a long 3 weeks hiatus…so my Friends(and me too) will have to wait(possibly dying of a suspense overdose)
    Seriously, How disrespectful Fox is with his best Drama and To theirs Fans too..
    Plus, we just learn that they reschedule (again) the mid-season line-up, by moving Bones on Monday at 8pm-pushing [H]ouse @9pm for the last 8 episodes remaining through the series finale in May 21st
    Seriously, it’s painfull How ungreatfull their are with theirs best series..they will never do that with theirs stupid reality tv…
    No wonders(include others network) the ratings of theirs Drama&comedy have problems…reality tv KILLS good shows…
    Anyway, I’ll be watching my favorite sarcastic diagnostician limping away until the end..and endure/wait madly to stuck watching BONES boring & predictable ending(baby delivery drama…)Sorry Bones fan, but it’s true!
    [Good luck nxt fall, our faith would end up in jeopardy like [H]ouse..]
    But, one thing for sure…the way the network act..I understand why HLaurie and DShore…decided to end it…and for my part, specially nxt fall TV will be Boring!! Possible I boycott the Network, retire my remote for good

11. kevin says:

What’s wrong with Fox? First, Game 7 of the World Series back in late October. Then, the NFC Championship game a month ago and now, the Daytona 500? Somebody needs answers expect Kevin Reilly.

12. amanda says:

Go smash best show in a long time I cannot wait for next week!

13. jennifer says:

Demi,considering the quality of 2&1/2 men on a weekly basis( rude and crude)-it’s safe to say you could neglect to watch it every single week-and-not miss anything worth watching. Thank you.

14. mdaily says:

So did I miss something… but even TVLine reported Monday’s shows as a regular Fox line up, including original episodes of Alcatraz. And then when I tune in, there’s some friggin’ race car thing going on… and on… and on! So why wasn’t this Daytona thing reported by TVLine or other venues? In fact, even the info box on my Fox channel was giving the House/ Alcatraz episode info while the race was going on! What the hey…?! Somebody’s got some ‘splainin’ to do, no?
    Needless to say, I was disappointed. Still, I was glad for a wonderful episode of Smash. For the first time, I actually chose to watch Smash live over Castle, which I’ll catch On Demand.

• jj says:

There was a rain delay, you can read about it anywhere online. Do a simple search. No hidden agenda. Just some lazy non research on your part. It’s a big enough draw (evidently) for Fox that it trumps anything else.

15. Oscar says:

To mdaily,
    tvline had no idea that the race was gonna be on monday night. The reason they couldn’t put it on another night as another poster posted. Is they are going out west for the next race. Fox pays big money for the Daytona. So needless to say they will always bump regular programing for a live event. ALWAYS.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you.

• mdaily says:

thanks, @Oscar. Also just read elsewhere that the race was rain delayed, too boot. Explains a lot. And Matt, I wasn’t blamin’ TVLine (if you note, I mentioned other venues as well). Was just wondering why no one had reported it as such, and it took me by surprise, is all. Oscar’s explanation clarifies things.
      So, any idea when the missed episode of Alcatraz will now air?

16. sarah says:

Happy that H50 had the most viewers, however that is not good if it was down in ratings. However the whole nielson thing is silly!
    I just hope the shows I am watching this season are renewed
    Hart of Dixie was good as well

17. cas says:

So what these ratings are saying is that white trash people usually watch TAAHM. That makes sense to me. Now hopefully the white trash will forget they watch TAAHM normally and it will die finally.

18. Fabe says:

Go Smash! I hope it keeps steady or rises! It deserves lots viewers! I hope it can beat Hawaii 5.0 and Castle next week!

19. fernando says:

I am still enjoying Smash, I think it really picked up the drama last night and next week will pick up the drama even more when Karen and Ivy go head to head with each other, their war is offically starting and I hope Karen wins, because I started team Ivy but slowly is hating her. Hart of Dixie really is also starting to spice it up and being more of a drama show then look at me im a cute type of show and I’m liking it, I hope CW will renew for season 2.

20. Rebecca says:

DAIR has brought me back to GG this season!

21. diane says:

They should have announced what they were doing. They should have told us when they planned to air the episodes. We are all different. That race means nothing to me, but I watch House every week. It was wrong and the network even with their increased ratings should apologize and tell us how to see our shows. PS, So they boosted their ratings for a one time event but disappointed their fans of regular shows that we watch weekly all season. So this says they would rather lose us than Nascar fans.

• Vi says:

Agreed. It should have been announced what they were doing. When they preempt shows for something else, they need to have it running at the bottom of the screen. That way when people switch over, they will see when they can expect it to be on. We just had a very tragic school shooting in my area yesterday and they are preempting Unforgettable for a special. We do know that, it has been announced all evening, but nothing on when we can expect to find this episode of Unforgettable and it is not on demand.

22. Kendra says:

Please . I don’t watch GG , but I find it so absurd that these “DAIR” fans are attacking “CB” fans asking how their “boycott” is going . That’s not much of a point to make when your show when promoting the “dair” couple only garners a 1.17 mil viewers. Meanwhile on a Friday, Nikita REPEATED to the exact same numbers 1.17mil, after being adjusted down, it was originally 1.22mil , guys, from what I can tell DAIR sucks and it’s bringing the show down with it.