Parenthood: Lauren Graham Sets Record Straight on Sarah and Mark's Seemingly Doomed Fate

Without fail, NBC’s Parenthood leaves us a sobby mess every week. But when merely the promo for a new installment causes a minor breakdown, we know we’re in for a world of hurt — as was the case when a glimpse at the Season 3 finale (airing tonight at 10/9c) featured Sarah and Mark on verge of a break-up.

But will the fan fave couple really part ways? Lauren Graham tells TVLine it’s not as cut-and-dried as it may seem.

Parenthood Scoop: Find Out What the Finale Has In Store After 2 Major Game Changers!

“It’s not like that!” the actress responds, passionately, when asked if the season ends, as it seems, with Sarah once again single. “Everybody likes these two together, including everyone here [on Parenthood], and this relationship became oddly real. Jason [Ritter] is a member of our family, so it’s a funny position where we’re all hopeful for these two… but in a way, it’s a win/lose situation.”

Graham is of course referring to the fact that while selfishly she would love to see her scene partner stick around forever, Ritter is now at work on an NBC drama pilot with Parenthood boss Jason Katims. And given that the future of said project won’t be determined by NBC until mid-May, Graham maintains there is still hope for Mark and Sarah.

“Rather than make a definitive decision [in the finale], there is a question left in the air. Their relationship is not completely resolved,” she shares. “Without giving it all away, I wouldn’t say theirs is a hopeless situation. We wouldn’t do that to fans.

Spoiler Alert! Exclusive Parenthood Finale Preview

“I just really wanted to be truthful to these people,” Graham continues, “and I would say that we are. I fought for the issues that [come between them] to be real — it couldn’t just come out of nowhere, because Mark and Sarah adore each other.”

Graham calls the couple’s impending difficulties “complicated,” noting that, “It’s truthful to their age difference and where they are in life — and without being a total about-face in the storyline… Sarah has this fear of not being able to give Mark this thing that he wants — a baby — and also a fear that maybe he isn’t really ready for it anyway.”

Take a peek at the clip below, which shows a little of what’s in store for the pair, and then hit the comments with your thoughts on Sarah and Mark’s maybe break-up.

Comments (22)

• Love this show

Comment by sarah – February 28, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jason Ritter maybe done with Parenthood now that he’s doing a pilot for NBC called County, which could get pick up as a series during the upfronts in May but I really don’t know what the future holds for him and the show’s fate.

Comment by kevin – February 28, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ……all of which was stated in the article itself above. Do you read?

Comment by Danyelle – February 28, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It doesn’t matter just like Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson says.

Comment by kevin – February 28, 2012 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as she doesn’t leave the show, I’m cool with whatever is to come for these two.

Comment by Jarrod – February 28, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best show on television.

Comment by Fabe – February 28, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • argh. these two are so similar: their love of literature and writing; their free-spiritedness; their romantic outlooks on life… BUT she’s 40 with two kids and he’s just so young. she’s already had this whole life before they met and he doesn’t seem to have lived his yet. it’s one of those “if only you were 10 years older/younger” or “if it were a different time and place” kind of things, which is so frustrating because I love them both as actors and as their characters i really don’t see how this is going to work out. as I said when they got back together, “Jason Ritter, don’t you break my Lorelei’s heart!!!”

Comment by Jen – February 28, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • COMPLETELY agree. ugh i just love these two :(

Comment by Serena – February 28, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really would love to see them together but I am very excited to see this new show with Jason and Micheal B Jordon who played Haddie boyfriend, I think it sounds nice and I loved NBC when they made Mercy, which was a very good nurse show and I think this show will fit in.

Comment by fernando – February 28, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see what happens with Julia and Zoe…more than Mark and Sarah.

Comment by Ms. Chanandler Bong – February 28, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is my favorite couple on tv and in someways I am just dreading tonight’s episode because I am fearful it’s the end based on promo’s and also this other show. I love Jason Ritter and wish him the best, but hope they can figure out a way to sustain this storyline even while he is on another show.

Comment by Talismangirl – February 28, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wonder where they leave Sarah and Mark´s storyline in the finale. I´m rooting for them to make it. I´m unhappy about Jason leaving the show for a new pilot. Sarah deserves better than that.

Comment by Dana – February 28, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care if he leaves. Sarah can go back to Seth, where she belongs. Sarah/Mark are boring and the chemistry is lacking for me. But I love Parenthood, and I can live with them together if Jason stays on the show. I just hope he won’t.
    I love Lauren. But “Everybody likes these two together” is wrooong :b
    Keep up the good show. Love it.

Comment by Amadeu – February 28, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • akh! these two! I want them to make it work so bad!!!

Comment by pv – February 28, 2012 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe the season is over tonight! I’m not ready to let go of the Bravermans for 6+ months. Kinda hope County doesn’t get picked up (sorry Jason). Love Sarah and Mark together and want her to be happy…seriously…I’m currently watching GG on the Family Channel, and Loreli and Luke just broke up because she slept with Chris…d*mn you Amy Sherman Pallidino! – I JUST CAN’T TAKE ANYMORE!! Sorry….sniff sniff.

Comment by Melissa29 – February 28, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to hear that I’m not the only person who watches the GG reruns on ABC Family…I loved that show as much as I love Parenthood!!!

Comment by cmo – February 28, 2012 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same!! i mean GG will always go down in my eyes as the best show ever created on television. but wow. parenthood is such an all around great piece of art. its so excited each week. and mark and sarah proposal was perfect. i hope they get married!

Comment by stephanie – February 28, 2012 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show! I don’t watch much tv but this is the one that I have to catch up online if missed. Is it normal to have ‘season finales’ this time of year? I’m almost a little nervous since it seems everyone got their happy ending tonight. Crosby got married. the brothers made up and didn’t sell their business. Sara got a proposal. Julia got a son. Isn’t a season finale supposed to leave a few cliff hangers? My favorite shows always get cancelled and I don’t want to see that happen to Parenthood!

Comment by Parenthood Junkie – February 28, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People love Sarah and Mark together? I DONT! I liked it in the beginning but I honestly find him annoying now.

Comment by S – February 29, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So much love for this show! please, NBC, don’t ever cancel it!

Comment by Mayra – February 29, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dying for this show to start again. one of the best series to come out in a long time!!!!’

Comment by Toni – July 26, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post