Pilot News: Glee's Max Adler Cast In Shawn Ryan's Last Resort Drama for ABC

Glee‘s Max Adler has boarded Shawn Ryan’s submarine-themed ABC drama pilot Last Resort — but that doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve seen the last of Karofsky.

Adler, who has recurred on Glee since Season 1, will appear as a guest star in the pilot — and may or may not stay on if it gets picked up to series.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

Last Resort has also added Academy Award and Emmy nominee Bruce Davison, whose recent TV gigs include Covert Affairs and Hawaii Five-0, in what would be a recurring role. Details on either Adler’s or Davison’s characters were not immediately available.

Last Resort is set in the not-so-distant future and follows the crew of a U.S. nuclear submarine who become fugitives after refusing to fire their missiles. Ultimately, they make camp on an island that hosts a NATO listening station and declare themselves an independent nuclear nation. Andre Braugher (Homicide) stars as the captain and Scott Speedman (Felicity) is set to play his second in command. Autumn Reeser (No Ordinary Family), Daisy Betts (Persons Unknown) and Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse) round out the impressive ensemble.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Sam says:

Great for him, especially since it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of Karofsky!

2. Melanie says:

So happy for Max! (So happy his fans may get a chance to see him weekly!) This is DEFINITELY a show I’ll be watching with interest.

3. Jane says:

hf Autumn Reeser

4. DLGR says:

\( ꒪Д꒪)/ OMG! I am so proud of him right now! Shawn Ryan + Max Adler + Action Plot (I assume??) = fsajfhsalkfhsakfhslahflksahfklh!!
    This is so great!! CONGRATS, MAX!!

5. Stephanie says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE PICK HIM UP AS A SERIES REGULAR! PLEASE! Max Adler is an AMAZING actor. He would be great for the show. Seriously, we want Max on the show!

6. lorena says:

So happy for Max! I hope it gets picked up so he can finally be freed from the crappy show that is Glee. He deserves so much better than that show!! <3

7. James says:

Excellent. Best of luck there. And may we never see you on Glee again.

• Erik says:

Rude! Max does a great job on Glee and Karofsky is an amazing character.

• James says:

Sure he is. That’s why the GA doesn’t know his name and he was totally on that poll of favourite characters where we had Burt!, Santana, Kurt and Blaine. Oh wait.
        Listen the guy is a good actor, he got stuck with a very unfortunate script on Glee. I wish him all the luck in this world, just out of Glee. And having a character without the baggage Karofsky has can only do him good.

• Erik says:

There’s no need to be ajerk about it. If GA doesn’t know him by name how come Karofsky has been a trnding topic on Glee 3 times?

• thefirstmrshummel says:

He was only the main focus of an episode that inspired a 300% increase in contacts to The Trevor Project. Max also garnered 10,000 new followers on Twitter overnight last Tuesday. Obviously this is because his story is “unfortunate” and no one cares about Dave Karofsky.
          Your pettiness is showing. It’s ugly, mean-spirited, and entirely unwelcome.

• Penguin says:

As much as I adore Dave [in fact, he's the sole reason I watch glee right now], I actually /do/ want him out of the show and into a new one as a series regular. The creators of glee have been taking him for granted and it’s just starting to be beyond ridiculous. Maybe once he leaves the show and wins golden globe/emmy awards, they’ll learn their lesson.

• Dar says:

Yeah, it’ll be great for Glee to lose one of it’s few good actors, haha.

• Sarah says:

I’m with you James. Adler seems like a nice enough guy and a competent actor, and I wish him nothing but the best, but I wont miss him on Glee.

• Jane says:

lol, rabid Klainer strikes again!

• Audrey says:

Karofsky and Max Adler actually has a HUGE fanbase. We’re just usually not as vocal or aggressive as the Blaine fans because Karofsky fans tend to be older Glee viewers and Blaine fans tend to be the teens and preteens.
      Karofsky’s plotline is extremely important, and Max is without question one of the best actors on the show- possibly THE best. I’m guessing you didn’t see the last episode where he attempts suicide, or you wouldn’t be so quick to throw his character away in such a rude manner.

• thefirstmrshummel says:

Oh, I’m sure they saw it. I mean, don’t you know that no matter what happens on the show, Dave is evil and unforgivable? They could have an episode where he cures cancer and brings world peace, and these people would still hate on him. They’re a broken record that refuses to take in any new information, and in addition I think they’re pissed lately that Glee completely invalidated their arguments about Dave being irredeemable. That must have stung.

8. tim says:

Good for Max

9. Liz says:

No matter how many times I read a description for this show, I still don’t get what the hell it’ll be about. None of it makes sense to me at all

10. thefirstmrshummel says:

Finally, Max is getting the recognition he deserves! Whoever cast him knows he can hold his own with the likes of Davidson and Brougher, and I know he won’t disappoint. This is not a show I would tune into normally, but if Max is involved I’m totally willing to give it a shot. And if he becomes a regualr, I’m sure I’ll become a loyal viewer. Max Adler on my TV every week is what I’ve been longing for for the past 18 months!

11. Josh says:

I hope this means good things for him. He deserves great work. He’s such a fantastic actor, and a wonderful human being. I really, REALLY hope this doesn’t mean we’ll lose Dave Karofsky, because that’s my favorite story on TV. I’m so happy for him, though, and I hope it’s a great role and a great show and that he gets the recognition he deserves.

12. Lauren says:

I was going to watch this anyway, because I can’t not watch something with Scott Speedman and his adorable smile in it, plus I also love Dichen Lachman and Autumn Reeser, but this is the cherry on top. I love Max Adler. Hope he definitely stays on the show.

13. Erin S. says:

Just so very happy for Max!

14. Sara says:

This show already had me as a viewer with Andre Braugher and Scott Speedman. But to add Max Adler? Yep, I’ll be there.

15. Audrey says:

The show’s not something I’d normally watch, but I’ll give it a shot if Max Adler’s in it. I have a random taste in shows anyway- Glee, Dexter, Breaking Bad, and Community are my obsessions- maybe this can just be another weird show to add to my list.

16. Marco says:

When I read the news, I thought they had cast him as a regular, which I hope they will, because he is really talented and would fit perfectly in the show. That would be one more reason to wait for this and pray it gets picked up to series (Scott, Andre, Dichen, Davison, Autumn, the plot and Shawn Ryan’s pedigree are the other reasons).
    I will definitely miss Karofsky on Glee, but a regular role on a quality show with a competent person at its helm is much better than a guest role (albeit the best-written character on the show) on a formerly-good trainwreck with headless chicken at its helm.

17. Craig says:

I am really happy for Max, he’s an amazing actor. I’m glad that this doesn’t mean the end of Dave Karofsky, he’s an intriguing character.

18. Anna says:

I’m so happy to read it! Max deserves to be everywhere on TV!
    I hope to see him as a regular on “Last Resort” and “Glee” as well! ^^

19. Jay says:

Max totally deserves a great career going forwards.

20. topsyturvy says:

The HAPPY ENDINGS people need to cast him as Max’s brother or cousin.

21. Amy says:

As much as I want to keep seeing Dave Karofsky on Glee regularly and often, this new show sounds really good, too. I will definitely be watching. Can’t wait to hear more about his character… hopefully a ‘good guy’ this time!

22. Craig S says:

This doesn’t sound like my usual kind of show (although I did enjoy it when it was called “Buried on Sunday”…look it up). But if Max is in it, I’ll give it a shot.

23. I have to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in writing this site. I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own blog now ;)

24. Christiane says:

Hi there, this weekend is nice designed for me,
    since this time i am reading this wonderful informative article here at my house.