Mad Men First Look: The Official Season 5 Poster Debuts -- But What Does it Mean?!

Spoiler Alert: Coming up on Mad Men, Don Draper will befriend a bunch of dummies.

That’s one (arguably simplistic) way to interpret the AMC drama’s just-released official Season 5 key art, which features the show’s tortured leading man staring at a pair of mannequins — and his reflection — in a department store window.

Series creator Matthew Weiner tells the New York Times that the “dreamlike image” is “a nonverbal representation of where my head is at and where the show will be… By the end of the season I guarantee you’ll know what it is about.”

What do you think it’s about? Hit the comments with your (serious and silly) theories.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: First Look, News

1. nora says:

This gives me a real Pygmalion vibe.

2. yippity says:

In the end, Don Draper will be sexually incompetent thus the male mannequin is all dressed while the female one is naked lol

3. SnazzyO says:

My first thought:
    1) Isn’t that a S1 Don image? Where he likes his women stupid and naked? I was kinda hoping that Don was past that.
    2) My second thought: Don is now realizing how much he objectifies women.
    3) My third: Don’s going back to Betty.
    I’m hoping someone has a better imagination but right now it looks all about women being naked dummies for his entertainment.

4. Annie says:

The women are willing to bare it all while the men sit comfortably and get left behind? Historically they should be moving into the “Feminism” movement era, so maybe he’s “mourning” the loss of the days where he could freely objectify women?
    But this might be me wishing for Peggy to be even more awesome than she has before (and little Sally too).

5. Karen says:

Sally got boobs over the summer.

6. Go Peggy says:

Jon Hamm, as Don Draper, speaking Hungarian was sexier but just as weird. YouTube it.

7. don says:

Don bored with the way his life has become.

8. Linda says:

Don realizing his marriage to Megan (if it ends up happening) and by extension his life is all window dressing and nothing more.
    Or…y’know, Don just likes looking at boobs. Even if they’re not real.

9. Chester says:

In Don’s relationships, the women become naked, physically and emotionally. They seek intimacy. Don just sits there and looks, but does not participate. He is clothed emotionally. Since he is looking at the this set up, he is beginning to reflect on whether it is what he really wants. He told Betty the truth and she iced him.

10. John Kelder says:

à la Clueless, our tragic hero is walking down a busy New York boulevard, so frustrated at his budding feelings with a “brother-like” figure, maybe..Peggy, yes… and his angst is almost tangible, but . . “wait, is that bathrobe in my size?”

11. Amber says:

That poster is trying way too hard to be deep. Also, it’s creepy. It’s the first time I ever haven’t liked a Mad Men ad. But I’m still so excited over the show coming back that I can’t sit still.

12. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Interesting season 5 artwork. I’m assuming it reflects a basic theme for the upcoming season – how Don envisions his potential new ‘home life’ with Megan post-Betty. What is his new ‘identity’ now with a second wife? What type of new identity can he ‘create’? We know the culture and times during the mid-60s will start to rapidly change and transform everything around Don… can he keep up?
    Looking at this photo, I can hear three conversations from last season – one from Don’s lawyer [to Don], another from Don’s conversation with Megan, the final between Don and Betty. I can imagine these thoughts going through Don’s head as he stares into that store window, wondering.
    Don’s lawyer -“Don’t you want to go home someday and see a steak on the table?”
    Megan – “I know you always want to be better.”
    Don – “We all want that…it doesn’t always work.”
    Betty – “I don’t know Don, things aren’t perfect.”
    Don – “So you’ll move again.”
    Indeed.

13. jennrae says:

I thought it was obvious: Donald Draper is so pimp he LITERALLY undressed that mannequin with his eyes.

14. Dana says:

Everyone is right, the meaning of this poster is def. directed towards the female mannequin. I dont think it has anything to do with feminism though…let’s be real, Don does not care about anything but himself (hence his reflection shown in the poster)…i think one of 2 things is being portrayed:
    1.)Don wants his life to be like this one day(and it will be again), but the bare mannequin reflects the mystery of whom it will be with.
    2.)Don realizes his engagement to Megan was a bad, impulsive decision and its possible any woman can portray the mannequin as long as he is not alone in his life.