Fox's Spring Switch: Bones Moves to Mondays as Kiefer's Touch Scores Post-Idol Time Slot

Fox’s midseason schedule shuffle isn’t over just yet.

Buoyed by the strong reception Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch received with its winter sneak peek, Fox has moved the the freshman drama’s official season premiere to Thursday, March 22, at 9/8c, where it will remain and lead out of American Idol.

To make way for the newbie, Bones will unspool the remainder of its seventh season on Mondays at 8 pm, beginning April 2. (Previously, Bones was to return from Emily Deschanel’s maternity leave-induced hiatus on April 5.)

House will thus return to its 9 o’clock perch on April 2, building up to its series finale with all-original episodes. What’s more, Fox has scheduled a retrospective special looking back at House‘s eight-year run, to air Monday, May 21, at 8, followed by the show’s grand swan song.

Elsewhere amongst Fox fare, The Finder will air its spring finale on March 8, then resume its season at a date TBA. Alcatraz, as previously announced, will continue with all-new episodes throughout March, including a double helping on March 5 and a two-hour season finale on March 26.

What do you think of Fox’s latest switcheroo? Are you glad to have Bones back a few days sooner, even if it’s on a new night?

1. Pam says:

I am a new viewer to Bones I found it on Thursday nights and love the series. I went out and bought the dvd sets and am all caught up. I was worried about it being moved to Mondays because of the popular shows on Monday nights it will be up against. The only other show I watch is Castle and I am happy Bones & Castle are on at different time slots. I wish Fox wouldn’t mess with Bones the ratings on Thursday were getting it new viewers like myself, I am concerned with the move and the long wait for new episodes to be filmed due to Emily’s leave to have her baby will lose viewers in the shuffle. This series can go many more seasons if it doesn’t get killed in the ratings dept. from all the Monday shows. Paley Fest will be interesting this year for Bones to hear what the cast have to say about another night change.

2. mark says:

Usually when they start moving a show around it’s because the network has lost faith and they’re cutting their losses.

• Lisa says:

That isn’t what it means at all. It’s because Fox does have faith in Bones that they have moved it to Monday so as to give Touch a chance to build an audience. They want at least one of their new shows to do well. The AI lead-in may help. Bones has been all over the Fox schedule ever since it first aired and has done well no matter what. Bones is pretty much assured of an 8th season. They’ve proven themselves time and time again.

3. Christina says:

Thanks for deciding that I won’t even check out Touch, Fox. I hope it tanks. Your blatant disrespect of one of your most stable performers makes me sick.

• Laura says:

Amen! This is exactly the reason I refused to check out The Finder. Fox moved the Winter Finale of Bones at the last minute to use it as a lead-in for The Finder premier. No respect for Bones whatsoever.

• Emily says:

Wasting a big AI lead for an established show like Bones = stupid. FOX making decisions based on how offended Bones viewers will be = also stupid. Stable performers can move because they are, well, stable. Duh.

4. Jillian says:

Looking at the ratings, Bones can totally beat HIMYM. They can’t beat the Voice or Dancing with the Stars, but I wouldn’t be surprise if Bones become second in the timeslot. That’s awesome and it will definitely do better than House or Alcatraz.

• El says:

I cannot see Bones beating HIMYM, at least not in the demo. It s going to be tough. Each network has a popular show at that time. At best I think it will come in third but anything better than that would surprise me.

5. Guy says:

So FOX has killed House, killed Alcatraz, killed other good shows on Monday and now its time to kill Bones. Yeah thanks a lot FOX. Bones is Thursdays and always has been. Not happy at all.

• Lisa says:

House killed House. he’s a one note character. He’s never grown or changed over the entire run of the show. Every time they show a little bit of character growth they’ve re-set it so he’s still an unlikable jerk. That show’s been going down hill for the past three years.
      I wanted to like Alcatraz, but it’s just boring. Putting it in a different time slot wouldn’t have helped its storyline be any more interesting.

• Stacey says:

It’s only been on Thursday since Season 4. Before it was Tuesday, Wednesday and even Monday at 8. On Thursday it’s been on at both 8 and 9. So no, it’s not always been on Thursdays.
      BONES is guaranteed to bring it back. All their new drama’s have failed to catch on. Fringe is getting horrific ratings. Glee is down but not out. House will be gone. BONES is their highest scripted drama this season with six aired episodes. Now it doesn’t mean it will do well on Mondays. But next to Thursdays; Monday’s is very competitive. If it can do well on Thursdays. It can do well on Mondays. When it will be the only scripted show at 8 next to the CBS comedies. I am not worried! It might go down a little bit. But it has a loyal fanbase!

6. Terri says:

No kidding. It’s times like these I really appreciate my DVR.

7. digitalred93 says:

Which means it’ll run opposite of Eureka so no Bones for me (my DVR can only record one show at a time).
    FOX really does want to kill Bones, doesn’t it?

• Diana says:

Doesn’t Eureka repeat later on the same day for SyFy I know some cable networks (SyFy, TNT, USA Network) repeat their primetime lineup a few hours later so why not record BONES first and then record Eureka when it repeats. Simple solution

8. Renee says:

That sucks for Finder and Touch! Not airing all Finders episodes is just wrong, and I watch Person Of Interest Thursdays at 9 so this literally leaves me with nothing to watch on Mondays and DVR Touch on Thur.

9. Carrie says:

And Bones officially falls off my DVR and because you can’t watch it on FOX.com for 8 days I won’t keep up. This effectively ends my watching of Bones. Lame.

10. Sue says:

Crap! I already have a zillion shows to watch on Monday. My DVR is on overload.

11. Georgia Madman says:

So happy with the move! Thursday’s were so crowded I couldn’t watch and DVR everything I wanted to see. Now Monday’s will be perfect with Bones and Castle and I won’t have to DVR. I do wish they had Bones at 9 so I could immediately switch to Castle afterwards. Bones fans will follow it whereever it goes. Best TV news in awhile.

12. Jules says:

Seriously, Fox is disrespectful toward is BEST Drama..even knowing that US, true [H]ousefan we have to endure a painfull stupid hiatus of 3 weeks already-until we are able to enjoy the last 8episodes remaining,(plus repeat of last night episode)cancelled bcuz of thestupid/long Nascar delay)
    Now we have to wait 1hr – and be paring with Bones( with theirs predictable & boring baby delivery drama storylines season finale ) its worst than bck in October with Tera nova… Beurk!.!!!!!
    Seriously, I understand now the desicion of HLaurie & DShore to finish/honor their contract and leave, bcuz the Network dosent respect theirs shows, thinking only that Idol(stupid reality tv) is their main success..
    Sorry, but after the end of [H]ouse, I’ll be retiring my remote for Good…Boycotting yr Network for a long time

13. Tracy says:

Why why why why WHY? Mondays are horrible for me. DVR is already maxed out. I cant switch stuff around that easy. Oh this sucks..

14. NONNIE says:

THE only show I watch on Fox is BONES … I will
    continue to follow it but have not desire to watch
    any other show. I am okay with Monday night as
    there is nothing else on… Just hope I remember.
    Nonnie

15. Grace says:

That timeslot didn’t help [H]OUSE much and either did it’s writers.

16. Luis says:

Fox warming Bones up to take House’s place on Mondays this fall?

17. Millie says:

maybe they r thinking of giving bones houses spot next season. 9 on monday is a good spot nd then castle would b after it on ABC. while the two aren’t on the same network i think the fans r the same nd will probably complement each other nd if terra nova gets renewed it would b b4 bones. monday would then become my favorite night on tv. as 4 the comedies my fav is the big bang theory which is on thursdays anyway. i’m willing 2 give the comedies on monday up, especially since CBS puts a lot of them on demand.

18. AnnClau says:

Okay, I was having trouble because Bones and Grey’s were at the same time, but now they’re moving Bones at the same time as HIMYM and Gossip Girl? There’s way too many good shows on the the Mondays 8pm time slot. They should have a least put them at 9. I already have so many episodes of House to catch up on anyway, and it seems to me Bones is a better fit at 9pm.
    It won’t be good for HIMYM because between a half-hour show and a hour-long one. People will choose the longest and catch the shortest in some other way.

19. Max says:

I agree with MANY of the comments above…..I have other programs that I watch on monday nights…..This is only going to mess things up and frustrate many viewers!!

20. Lisa says:

No, I don’t like the change to Mondays. The networks need to stop moving everything around and messing up our viewing schedules. And BTW, does anyone know what happened to CSI:NY?

21. Wjennings13 says:

Im so glad bones is on Monday’s! Thursday’s were completely covered on my DVR. All the networks compete for that slot and you can only record so many… Woohoo

22. beatriz del carmen says:

i am just happy its back and hope it lasts at least another 2 years, its my favorite show. my dvr has it as priority over all my other shows.