Fox's Spring Switch: Bones Moves to Mondays as Kiefer's Touch Scores Post-Idol Time Slot

Fox’s midseason schedule shuffle isn’t over just yet.

Buoyed by the strong reception Kiefer Sutherland’s Touch received with its winter sneak peek, Fox has moved the the freshman drama’s official season premiere to Thursday, March 22, at 9/8c, where it will remain and lead out of American Idol.

To make way for the newbie, Bones will unspool the remainder of its seventh season on Mondays at 8 pm, beginning April 2. (Previously, Bones was to return from Emily Deschanel’s maternity leave-induced hiatus on April 5.)

House will thus return to its 9 o’clock perch on April 2, building up to its series finale with all-original episodes. What’s more, Fox has scheduled a retrospective special looking back at House‘s eight-year run, to air Monday, May 21, at 8, followed by the show’s grand swan song.

Elsewhere amongst Fox fare, The Finder will air its spring finale on March 8, then resume its season at a date TBA. Alcatraz, as previously announced, will continue with all-new episodes throughout March, including a double helping on March 5 and a two-hour season finale on March 26.

What do you think of Fox’s latest switcheroo? Are you glad to have Bones back a few days sooner, even if it’s on a new night?

1. English says:

Was someone bored? Did they throw all the shows in a hat and pull them out at random? I hate when things get moved around. I forget what night they are on.

2. Laura says:

This really sucks. They should have just left Bones on Thursdays.

3. Alex says:

Fox has done so much shuffling this season, especially on Mondays. Kind of hard to keep up with.
    I’ll give them that it makes sense to move a show that was received so well critically and ratings wise in the plum post Idol slot since it performed really well there in its preview.
    Bones might be a little graphic for the 8pm hour, but I guess we’ll see.

4. Sean says:

LAME!!!!! Bones on monday… that just doesn’t fit. I like it better on thursday at 9.

• AJ says:

Your comment confuses me. Bones doesn’t fit on Monday? How so? I actually think Bones & House are a very good fit. Much better fit than Bones & Idol. And people, let’s get real. Alcatraz is getting killed by the Voice. Fox wants to protect Touch and not have it get killed by the Voice. House is over. Bones is close to being over (Hart Hanson essentially said so himself). If they suffer on Monday, so be it. Fox needs a new hit. And I’m sure they want it to be Touch.

• Carol Holloway says:

I surely hope Bones is not nearly over! Those characters have more chemistry than most other series’ folks and emotional depth to be explored for a long time to come. Love ‘em all.

5. Katie says:

Yes! I am actually thrilled to hear this! I work nights so I’d be able to watch it before work and never ever have to flip between it and Grey’s again!

6. Cass says:

I don’t know how I feel about this. I mean, I’ve followed BONES all over the scheduling map since Season 1 and will follow it whereever it goes, but FOX is fortunate I don’t have too many conflicting shows in that time slot. I just hope it helps, not hurts, BONES’ ratings.

7. tvaddict says:

Fox has way too many shows and not enough time slots! They need to stop ordering so many shows especially when they are constantly having to rearrange their schedule.

8. KS winchester says:

Fox is taking good care, not to loose this show like Terra Nova and Alcatraz.

9. torontogirl98 says:

Good my tv viewing schedule is way way too packed on thursdays already and as long as Bones is on who cares when it is

• houstontx1322 says:

I agree with you. There are so many shows that come on Thursdays that some times things end up getting bumped from my DVR schedule. Now I have something to watch on Mondays and don’t have to worry about it accidentally getting cancelled because of other shows recording.

10. Javi says:

they should’ve given that spot to FRINGE… they need it more!!!

• Mel says:

AGREED!… and to think FOX hires professionals to maximize their TV schedule efficiency -_-

• Disappointed says:

Have become disilousioned with FOX as they have trashed so many good shows by schedule movement. I am afraid that I will not have a good reason to wath anything on FOX as soon as House retires. They effectively cancelled “Fringe” – A BIG disappointment, and it looks that Terra Nove will go the way of the dinosaures, too bad because it was family fun. If all FOX wants it pander to the American Idol crowd and sports fans, then count me out. I watch ESPN for sports and the Voice for an actual singing/talent show. May FOX rerst in peace.

11. kevin says:

Fox continues to have its prime time schedule way too confusing. Kevin Reilly should be ashamed of himself just like it happens to Game 7 of the World Series between the Texas Rangers and St. Louis Cardinals and the NFC Championship Game last month between the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers. :( :(

12. Mia says:

This works for me there was just so much going on at that 9pm hour on Thursdays. I have to be honest there was a time or two when I clicked over just to get an idea what was happening on another show I watch and I would miss a HUGE chunk of Bones.
    Bones viewers are pretty loyal, I don’t feel like they’ll have a problem moving to Mondays.

13. Maggie says:

Hey, Fox, how about not changing your mind every 30 seconds about Bones’ scheduling and leave it alone. You’ll be very sad when people don’t realize they need to tune in on Mondays and your best show is canceled.

• Sam says:

Considering that Bones isn’t even on now as it is, I don’t really see that happening. It’s not like people are tuning in and watching it on Thursdays.

14. Alex says:

I know this probably won’t ever happen, but with the vast number of shows that Fox has, maybe they could open up the 10pm hour a couple of nights a week…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Extremely unlikely. As is, I believe Fox is only able to run into the 10 o’clock hour a total of two times a year.

15. Dean says:

At least this will boost Touch’s chances for season 2. I personally think it’s the best out of all the new shows on FOX.

16. Sarah says:

I’m alittle worried about this time slot tbh, I just hope any castle/bones fans will choose to watch bones instead of castle.

17. A.D. says:

Hate FOX…they won’t give that spot to a good show like Fringe…won’t move Idol to Friday cuz they know it’d fail…they pick their show they want to save and give it a prime slot…Hate FOX!

18. Paula says:

So disrespectful the way fox is dealing with Bones this year. All changes and poorly promoting the show when it is aired.
    As I said before disrespectful not only with fans but with the whole crew and cast.
    And I am sadly point this out…

• Stacey says:

They didn’t have much choice due to Emily’s pregnancy. Airing in September would have led to a bigger delay, or interruptions galore. I don’t fault FOX scheduling. They will promote BONES when it comes time for it to come back.
      BONES still has it’s core. It hasn’t really suffered at all. Even with Brennan and Booth getting together, and the introduction of a baby storyline.
      FOX doesn’t want to lose BONES with Alcatraz, Terra Nova and Fringe doing terrible. And House will be gone. Glee has gone down in it’s ratings. BONES is pretty safe at this point! So they need to try to save Touch!

• jJ says:

They were lucky to get the post Idol spot last season when the show was lagging. It picked up a lot of viewers then so now it’s time to give Touch a chance.

19. Michaels says:

This could be good or bad for Bones. As for Touch, meh, don’t care. Bones was the only show I really cared about on Thursdays, so that means that I can actually ignore that day (I watch BBT online).

20. Sarah says:

This sucks. I already have plenty of shows to watch on Mondays. I need stuff to watch later in the week too. :(

21. Samantha says:

This sucks. Can’t they leave Bones alone? Like it didn’t already have enough competition. Almost every show I watch is on Monday.

• bonescrazy says:

I agree with you completely!! Why can’t Fox leave Bones alone. I would be very happy because Monday is impossible for me!!

22. Sarah says:

I’m officially REALLY MAD Fox now!

23. Lindsey says:

Hey, at least Bones will finally be back on.

24. Vi says:

Seriously? I already watch Grey’s Anatomy and record Person of Interest. Was looking forward to Touch, unless it is on demand, which Bones wasn’t I guess I will miss Touch.

25. Ali says:

Great now i have to choose Bones or How I Met Your Mother. ugh

26. Nickole says:

The people schedule at fox are annoying. I love bones and now I have to choose between bones and HIMYM. As I’ve been a fan of the latter longer, I’ll miss the beginning of bones. How does this new show take rank over one people are already committed to. Just dumb.

27. Christy says:

Amen! Fringe is one of the best shows and was it thrown in the hat with these others to save or make more convenient for ratings?

• Bill H says:

Of course not. They don’t care about it, that’s obvious. They care more about their fake reality shows and no talent wanted talent shows.

• Nicole says:

Agreed. Fox wouldn’t have these problems if American Idol wasn’t on 3 days a week for the first half of its season and even 2 days a week for the rest of it.

28. Nichole says:

Okay, so a little part of me was kind of relieved as Thursday nights have too many good shows across the board. If it weren’t for On Demand, I would have to give something up. Then I saw this was moving to Mondays, which is about just as crowded. Seriously though Fox, stop airing 12 hours of Idol a week, and maybe you’ll have room for the rest of your shows.

29. Kat says:

Sorry Bones, but HIMYM wins the time slot for me

30. kamien says:

F*ck American Idol. It’s the most pointless, stupidest show I have ever seen. Reality tv is nothing compared to shows that actually have an interesting storyline with plots and characters. I wish American Idol would just disappear.. If that happened then the world would be a better place.

• Bill H says:

I wholly agree. The only true reality shows on TV are sports and news. Except for the “news” on Fox, lies are not news. Come to think of it their “sports” programs are worthless too. Which is what you get when you hire biased idiots.

31. Marc says:

God, does this network ever stop moving its shows around?

32. aimee says:

Doing the happy dance since we will be able to see Bones earlier than planned. Love it being on a new night!

33. Theresa says:

Seriously? I’m in calculus until 9:30 and I’m not allowed to have DVR in the dorm. fml. At least I can still watch Castle.

34. J.Norman says:

I think that Fox is showing way too much confidence that Touch will be a (major) success. I would want to see what it can do for a few episodes before giving it the prime 9;00 Thursday time slot.
    It will be very difficult for Fox to gauge Touch’s true success while following Idol.

35. Leslie says:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dude I need my Max fix from 2 Broke Girls and my Bones fix. Yeah I can dvr. But seriously I like watching both when they air.

36. Jillian says:

I’m happy that Bones switched to a new night. I think they will do very well. The only competition they have is like Gossip Girl and How I met you mother. Those shouldn’t be hard to beat.

• LuLu says:

Bones competition for Monday nights will be: 1) CBS How I Met Your Mother & 2 Broke Girls. 2) NBC The Voice 3)The CW Gossip Girl 4) ABC The Bachelor / Dancing with the Stars. I for one will watch HIMYM and Bones plus both shows will have babies birth eps soon. Dang you FOX.

• Holly says:

Bones is going to get massacred. Like, it’s going to be ugly. Trying to compete with HIMYM/2 Broke Girls, the Voice and Dancing With the Stars, especially after being on hiatus for most of the season, is simply too much to ask. It was doing well last season — had a nice groove and a bit of a cult hit feeling. This season has been a disaster and the time slot move is going to really hurt. I don’t see it going anywhere, given that Fox’s new shows flopped for the most part, but ouch. I wonder if the viewers will come back next season if it slumps in April.

37. DreamRose311 says:

So is this bad news for Finder? I thought that 3/22 was going to be the SEASON finale, so if 3/8 is the SPRING finale, are there still only two episodes for when it comes back?! Sounds like doom. Sucks, I like it more than Bones at this point…

38. nichelle johnson says:

Why not just move bones to 8pm on Thursday followed at 9 by the Finder. Bones introduced Walter. It is only rightthey stay together.

39. Deena says:

Thursday nights have always = Bones for me. I don’t understand network programming AT ALL. I’m still trying to figure out how moving The Good Wife to Sunday helped that show.
    But I digress. With 2 Broke Girls & The Voice already taking up my allotted DVR slot time, I’m screwed. Plus, DirecTV doesn’t carry On Demand for CBS or FOX. The Voice wouldn’t be On Demand until a few days later and with the live shows that defeats the point.
    Of course Keifer Sutherland gets the benefit of the doubt over loyal fans of a show for over 7 years. I swear, Bones and its fans get no respect.

40. Lorena says:

Come on. really? we have Castle, Hart of Dixie, The Voice, Smash, Hawaii 5-0o

41. Elizabeth Marie says:

As if Monday’s weren’t busy enough. At least the only things I DVR at 8 & 8:30 are HIMYM and 2 Broke Girls. I just don’t know when I’ll be able to watch Bones since I watch Hart of Dixie (9pm), Castle (10pm), and Being Human (11pm). Plus, I DVR Smash at 10.

42. Dani C says:

So first I was kinda excited about this…Thursday nights are hell on my DVR…but then I realized HIMYM and the voice are on at the same time!! Argh!!!! Why the hell does every show have to be scheduled at the same time…seriously nothing’s on Friday-how bout you schedule some sh*t then!

43. Kat says:

I hate the new time! Why can’t FOX leave Bones where it is? As for Kiefer’s new show who cares? I won’t be watching!

44. Courtney says:

Putting it up against The Voice and HIMYM is stupid! The ratings for the voice are huge and HIMYM’s ratings are big too. It almost feels like their trying to bomb it. Leave the time slot alone!!

• Christina says:

They’re not trying to bomb Bones. They’ve probably decided already that they’ll renew it, the schedule change is becsuse they don’t want ALL of their new shows to go down the drain and give Touch the post-AI slot.

• Courtney says:

I’m sorry but I have seen fox take a great show move it to a new slot then say oh not good ratings half a season or worse cancel it. Put Touch on Monday’s with House instead since the preview did great and also 24 fans will watch for Kiefer Sutherland. I’m just weary of Fox after they have canceled shows I liked like Firefly and Keen Eddie because of bad time slots. I hate Fringe’s timeslot but they refuse to move it.

45. Mic says:

Bones has out done EVERY show, in EVERY time slot & all on different channels 2 so no big deal. Bring it in season 7, 8 & 20!!

46. Nikki B says:

Im a bit peeved over the bones move. Did someone loose a bet to a castle writer about bones getting good rating on a monday or something?? Really guys. We havr 1 tv, no dvr & this is just a crappy deal. Monday for us is , HIMYM, hart of dixie & castle. Why toss bones into the mix. Thursdays Bones is the one thing we always make time for. I am wondering if FOX is trying to make this the last season, it feels like they have done everything possible the last few seasons to drive viewers away.

47. Jillian says:

I think Bones will be fine. When they aired episode 6 against The Big Bang theory in January…I really thought that the ratings would be very low, but they actually did pretty good in a new timeslot without any lead in. As long as they promote the show and make sure people know that it airs on Mondays…I’m sure it will be fine. Even if they only get like 8 million and a barely above 2.0 demo. That’s still pretty good.
    Yeah, it won’t beat the competition, but I also don’t think it will tank…and no doubt that Bones will be renewed for another season. Fox just hasn’t announced it yet.

48. Dale says:

Are these plans already blown since Fox preempted House and Alcatraz tonight for the white trash car crap?

49. liz says:

this makes me sad. i love alcatraz.

50. Marie says:

WTF why is Bones moving to Monday’s for? I watch WWE Monday night Raw and How I met your mother on monday’s and i can only dvr 1 of them. What the hell is Fox thinking the ratings for Bones will differently drop now. Thanks Fox for ruining my Day!!!