Pilot Scoop: The CW Finds Its Young Carrie Bradshaw -- Look Who Landed the Plum Part!

After weeks of pilot-season speculation, we couldn’t help but wonder: Who would be cast in the titular role in The Carrie Diaries, The CW’s Sex and the City prequel from Gossip Girl producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage?

And today, the answer is in: AnnaSophia Robb (Soul Surfer, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory‘s Violet Beauregarde) has landed one of the hottest roles this pilot season.

Robb will play a young Carrie Bradshaw as she comes of age in the 1980s, asking her first questions about love, sex, friendship and family while exploring the worlds of high school and Manhattan.

The Carrie character, of course, was made iconic by Sarah Jessica Parker during six seasons of HBO’s Sex and the City, and in two subsequent big-screen adaptations.

Excited about this casting? Will you tune in to The Carrie Diaries? Sound off below!

1. Claire says:

Cannot wait for this show, I hadn’t heard anything about it until now! And thats the girl who played Violet in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory? MIND BLOWN.

2. Shalaylay says:

I feel bad, this show is going to be canceled so quickly. I pray it doesn’t make it past the pilot stage.

3. Steven says:

I may have to watch this now. She is a very good actress! Loved her in Bridge to Terebithia!

4. sonr says:

but she doesn’t look like a horse

5. abc123 says:

The show is a disaster waiting to happen. Savage and Schwartz wanted an 80s version of Gossip Girl when they thought of creating the spin off about Lily’s youth. So now they finally have their 80′s show.

6. kellie says:

oh my gudness I CAN NOT WAIT for this show to come to life ill be vegged out in front of the tv every whatever day it’ll come on can’t wait.

7. fernando says:

I wouldnt mind watching this show, but i can tell we the haters this show wont last

8. J says:

at least dianna agron looked like a horse

9. GGMustDie says:

WHY CW? WHY!?

10. Craig says:

This pilot is based on the YA novels The Carries Diaries, and is not a prequel to the HBO series, but a prequel to Candace Bushnell’s Sex and the City book.

11. Brandy says:

I am so excited about this, I hope it goes to series as its one of only a couple decent sounding pilots/shows in devlopment for CW(first cut, cult are the others).

12. April says:

Last I heard they wanted an unrecognizable, fresh face (as reported in THR I believe) that could be branded into this show. Though shes not completely a household name, she has a resume and certainly doesn’t carry the essence of Carri Bradshaw. That’s Hollywood for you…they don’t like to roll the dice. Will be interesting to watch what happens.

13. Justine says:

It would be funny if the CW had “The Carrie Diaries” and “The Vampire Diaries” on the same night. They could advertise it as the diary night. Anyone else notice how funny it is that they plan to have two shows with “The ___ Diaries” as the title? I think they should start changing the names of all of their shows and become The Diaries Network. The Supernatural Diaries, The Nikita Diaries, The 90210 Diaries, The Gossip Girl Diaries, The Ringer Diaries, The Dixie Diaries. This could go on and on… :)

14. Roxie says:

I thought that Carrie didn’t move to New York until she was in her ’20s. I guess they are retconning the plot of Sex and the City to make a Gossip Girl type show that takes place in the ’80s.

15. lee says:

i guess the series finale is gonna have Carrie get in an accident or explosion & become horribly disfigured??

16. sarah says:

I may check the show out

17. Velvet says:

I won’t be watching that crap. I never had any interest in watching “Sluts and the City” either.

18. Christy says:

I’m excited that it’s from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. I’ll watch anything they make. I’m indifferent towards the Sex and the City universe, but I’m such a sucker for 80s stuff – especially NYC in the 80s.
    I don’t know how strong the CW’s 30something demographic is though, but hey, 90210 is doing okay, maybe this will take off too?

19. Amanda says:

another Schwartz & Savage show?! No, thank you.

20. Philipp says:

SJP is Carrie Bradshaw! No one can even come close, this is such a bad idea. I will try to ignore this with every fibre of my being.

21. Lori says:

Very funny!

22. Freedomwatcher38 says:

Nope will be skipping have no desire to see a prequel to Sex in the City, didn’t care for the original TV show or movies either. I mean we all know how it ends so why bother with the beginning LOL
    I hope this show gets skipped over big time, then again it’s no worse than the CW remake of Beauty and The Beast lol
    In fact all their pilots but Arrow and The Cult sound horrible…

23. DoveGuy says:

I hope this “sophisticated” role of a sex-crazed big city girl doesn’t taint AnnaSophia’s image. Her career has been filled with innocent characters with morals and faith. “Because of Winn Dixie” “Bridge to Terabithia” and most recently, “Soul Surfer.”

• Mark says:

The description of the show doesn’t make it seem like young Carrie is “sex crazed.” Maybe the innocent thing will work for the character.

24. Melanie says:

I think her mind is blown because the girl had grown up a lot since then. Anybody reading that sentence could see that…

25. mici says:

She was amazing in Soul Surfer.

26. kelly says:

i think it has potential to be possibly a really good series..just as long as they dont screw it up like they did with gossip girl HMPH..

27. Pepper says:

Isn’t she too blonde? I mean, Carrie (SJP) almost always had dark roots.
    I know, monumental problem but still.

28. Cherie says:

You say TV like it’s the kiss of death. Most tv stars are paid more then movie stars.

29. megslin says:

It’s basically gossip girl…in the 80′s. I mean, I first of all would prefer to see the SATC writers versions of a young carrie bradshaw and co, though I do realize of course I’m supposed to love candace bushnells–I don’t. One of the few instances where the show was much better than the book. Plus, Charlotte didn’t even exist in the book.
    Still–this new show isn’t even the Bushnell version of Carrie-as it’s already set in Manhatten. At a prep/private school. I realize the CW thinks it’d be a lot more interesting to watch a bunch of prep school kids talk about how they’ll live their lives in the city when they grow up–but sorry, they already did that show.
    I wouldn’t mind if it were a) similar to bushnells actual carrie diaries or b) set from when carrie+co met up in their 20′s (and for samantha, early 30′s)and how they lived their lives trying to make ends meet and living life on a modest budget (yes I realize satc never was that realistic on the budget end, but still…).

30. Jared says:

Based on name recognition alone..the CW will go ahead and give a series pick up whether it’s good or bad..I mean it can’t be any better or worse then any other CW show.

31. Fabricio says:

Perhaps is the Carrie Diaries, but with Savage and Schwartz on board as executive producers, it smells to me like a “The It Girl series” in disguise.
    “The It Girl” is a book series that is also Gossip Girl’s spin off with Little J as the big star. For me, this show is a mashup with Carrie Diaries and It Girl.
    But I give it a chance. Can’t wait to see the promos and the pilot.
    does The show have a voice off narrator like Sara Jessica Parker on Sex and the city and Kirsten Bell on Gossip?

32. Tusk says:

AnnaSophia is waaaay too pretty to play a young SJP…
    Maybe, it’s a good career opportunity, but it has potential to be a step down from the upward trajectory her career has been heading.

33. Mick says:

Wait is the CW actually having a decent pilot season or are my eyes deceiving me?
    This is a good move for AnnaSophia despite its reputation the CW helps nurture young talent. For instance who knew Nina Dobrev has such range as an actress. Or that Blake Lively could be a leading lady?
    Deadline said Emma Roberts was competing for the role so I think it might a good script.

34. alyssa897 says:

I really like AnnaSophia Robb! I think she’s perfect for the role and I’m really excited for this show. I know a lot of people are writing it off because it’s the CW and it’s a teeny girl show, but give it a chance people!