Pilot Scoop: The CW Finds Its Young Carrie Bradshaw — Look Who Landed the Plum Part!

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

After weeks of pilot-season speculation, we couldn’t help but wonder: Who would be cast in the titular role in The Carrie Diaries, The CW’s Sex and the City prequel from Gossip Girl producers Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage?

And today, the answer is in: AnnaSophia Robb (Soul Surfer, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory‘s Violet Beauregarde) has landed one of the hottest roles this pilot season.

Robb will play a young Carrie Bradshaw as she comes of age in the 1980s, asking her first questions about love, sex, friendship and family while exploring the worlds of high school and Manhattan.

The Carrie character, of course, was made iconic by Sarah Jessica Parker during six seasons of HBO’s Sex and the City, and in two subsequent big-screen adaptations.

Excited about this casting? Will you tune in to The Carrie Diaries? Sound off below!

Comments (51)

• Cannot wait for this show, I hadn’t heard anything about it until now! And thats the girl who played Violet in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory? MIND BLOWN.

Comment by Claire – February 27, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It blows your mind that an actress that had a small part in a movie, got a job on a tv show? It blows your mind?

Comment by Jen – February 27, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought this girl had better things going for her than doing a tv part in a soon to be canceled show in a struggling network tbh.

Comment by Clarissa – February 27, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’ll be back to movies before you know it.

Comment by Ken – February 27, 2012 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel bad, this show is going to be canceled so quickly. I pray it doesn’t make it past the pilot stage.

Comment by Shalaylay – February 27, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if you don’t want it cancelled, why pray for it not to be picked up?

Comment by s – February 27, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may have to watch this now. She is a very good actress! Loved her in Bridge to Terebithia!

Comment by Steven – February 27, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree… it’s like they never learn

Comment by Javi – February 27, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s terrific, but I can’t see her as a young Carrie. She doesn’t remotely resemble a horse.

Comment by Templar – February 27, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • but she doesn’t look like a horse

Comment by sonr – February 27, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HAHAHA I was thinking the same thing… How did she grow up to be … SJP :\

Comment by awkwardMEOW – February 27, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That joke lost its humor a long time ago. Not that it was ever funny to begin with…

Comment by Josh – February 27, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • no, josh, you just lost your humor

Comment by s – February 27, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But she’s a YOUNG Carrie, so she should look like a PONY!!! :-P

Comment by Timmy Bauer – February 27, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A pony is not a young horse. A pony is a smaller breed of horse. A colt/filly is a young horse. Just sayin’.

Comment by JJ – February 28, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Considering SJP “tallness”, she’s been a pony since start…. a Falabella, actually 8-)

Comment by max – March 27, 2012 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is a disaster waiting to happen. Savage and Schwartz wanted an 80s version of Gossip Girl when they thought of creating the spin off about Lily’s youth. So now they finally have their 80′s show.

Comment by abc123 – February 27, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh my gudness I CAN NOT WAIT for this show to come to life ill be vegged out in front of the tv every whatever day it’ll come on can’t wait.

Comment by kellie – February 27, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldnt mind watching this show, but i can tell we the haters this show wont last

Comment by fernando – February 27, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at least dianna agron looked like a horse

Comment by J – February 27, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY CW? WHY!?

Comment by GGMustDie – February 27, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This pilot is based on the YA novels The Carries Diaries, and is not a prequel to the HBO series, but a prequel to Candace Bushnell’s Sex and the City book.

Comment by Craig – February 27, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited about this, I hope it goes to series as its one of only a couple decent sounding pilots/shows in devlopment for CW(first cut, cult are the others).

Comment by Brandy – February 27, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last I heard they wanted an unrecognizable, fresh face (as reported in THR I believe) that could be branded into this show. Though shes not completely a household name, she has a resume and certainly doesn’t carry the essence of Carri Bradshaw. That’s Hollywood for you…they don’t like to roll the dice. Will be interesting to watch what happens.

Comment by April – February 27, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be funny if the CW had “The Carrie Diaries” and “The Vampire Diaries” on the same night. They could advertise it as the diary night. Anyone else notice how funny it is that they plan to have two shows with “The ___ Diaries” as the title? I think they should start changing the names of all of their shows and become The Diaries Network. The Supernatural Diaries, The Nikita Diaries, The 90210 Diaries, The Gossip Girl Diaries, The Ringer Diaries, The Dixie Diaries. This could go on and on… :)

Comment by Justine – February 27, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Supernatual Diaries and The Dixie Diaries are really cool…

Comment by GGMustDie – February 27, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought that Carrie didn’t move to New York until she was in her ’20s. I guess they are retconning the plot of Sex and the City to make a Gossip Girl type show that takes place in the ’80s.

Comment by Roxie – February 27, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i guess the series finale is gonna have Carrie get in an accident or explosion & become horribly disfigured??

Comment by lee – February 27, 2012 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may check the show out

Comment by sarah – February 27, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won’t be watching that crap. I never had any interest in watching “Sluts and the City” either.

Comment by Velvet – February 27, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wait long enough and the sexism rears its head.

Comment by Haley – March 1, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited that it’s from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. I’ll watch anything they make. I’m indifferent towards the Sex and the City universe, but I’m such a sucker for 80s stuff – especially NYC in the 80s.
    I don’t know how strong the CW’s 30something demographic is though, but hey, 90210 is doing okay, maybe this will take off too?

Comment by Christy – February 27, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • another Schwartz & Savage show?! No, thank you.

Comment by Amanda – February 27, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SJP is Carrie Bradshaw! No one can even come close, this is such a bad idea. I will try to ignore this with every fibre of my being.

Comment by Philipp – February 27, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very funny!

Comment by Lori – February 27, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope will be skipping have no desire to see a prequel to Sex in the City, didn’t care for the original TV show or movies either. I mean we all know how it ends so why bother with the beginning LOL
    I hope this show gets skipped over big time, then again it’s no worse than the CW remake of Beauty and The Beast lol
    In fact all their pilots but Arrow and The Cult sound horrible…

Comment by Freedomwatcher38 – February 27, 2012 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this “sophisticated” role of a sex-crazed big city girl doesn’t taint AnnaSophia’s image. Her career has been filled with innocent characters with morals and faith. “Because of Winn Dixie” “Bridge to Terabithia” and most recently, “Soul Surfer.”

Comment by DoveGuy – February 27, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The description of the show doesn’t make it seem like young Carrie is “sex crazed.” Maybe the innocent thing will work for the character.

Comment by Mark – February 27, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think her mind is blown because the girl had grown up a lot since then. Anybody reading that sentence could see that…

Comment by Melanie – February 27, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She was amazing in Soul Surfer.

Comment by mici – February 27, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think it has potential to be possibly a really good series..just as long as they dont screw it up like they did with gossip girl HMPH..

Comment by kelly – February 27, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t she too blonde? I mean, Carrie (SJP) almost always had dark roots.
    I know, monumental problem but still.

Comment by Pepper – February 27, 2012 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You say TV like it’s the kiss of death. Most tv stars are paid more then movie stars.

Comment by Cherie – February 27, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s basically gossip girl…in the 80′s. I mean, I first of all would prefer to see the SATC writers versions of a young carrie bradshaw and co, though I do realize of course I’m supposed to love candace bushnells–I don’t. One of the few instances where the show was much better than the book. Plus, Charlotte didn’t even exist in the book.
    Still–this new show isn’t even the Bushnell version of Carrie-as it’s already set in Manhatten. At a prep/private school. I realize the CW thinks it’d be a lot more interesting to watch a bunch of prep school kids talk about how they’ll live their lives in the city when they grow up–but sorry, they already did that show.
    I wouldn’t mind if it were a) similar to bushnells actual carrie diaries or b) set from when carrie+co met up in their 20′s (and for samantha, early 30′s)and how they lived their lives trying to make ends meet and living life on a modest budget (yes I realize satc never was that realistic on the budget end, but still…).

Comment by megslin – February 27, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Based on name recognition alone..the CW will go ahead and give a series pick up whether it’s good or bad..I mean it can’t be any better or worse then any other CW show.

Comment by Jared – February 27, 2012 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps is the Carrie Diaries, but with Savage and Schwartz on board as executive producers, it smells to me like a “The It Girl series” in disguise.
    “The It Girl” is a book series that is also Gossip Girl’s spin off with Little J as the big star. For me, this show is a mashup with Carrie Diaries and It Girl.
    But I give it a chance. Can’t wait to see the promos and the pilot.
    does The show have a voice off narrator like Sara Jessica Parker on Sex and the city and Kirsten Bell on Gossip?

Comment by Fabricio – February 27, 2012 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AnnaSophia is waaaay too pretty to play a young SJP…
    Maybe, it’s a good career opportunity, but it has potential to be a step down from the upward trajectory her career has been heading.

Comment by Tusk – February 27, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. No way does this young beauty grow up to look like SJP.

Comment by Rachel – February 27, 2012 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Have you seen SJP when she was young – she was so cute!

Comment by G.G – February 28, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait is the CW actually having a decent pilot season or are my eyes deceiving me?
    This is a good move for AnnaSophia despite its reputation the CW helps nurture young talent. For instance who knew Nina Dobrev has such range as an actress. Or that Blake Lively could be a leading lady?
    Deadline said Emma Roberts was competing for the role so I think it might a good script.

Comment by Mick – February 27, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like AnnaSophia Robb! I think she’s perfect for the role and I’m really excited for this show. I know a lot of people are writing it off because it’s the CW and it’s a teeny girl show, but give it a chance people!

Comment by alyssa897 – February 28, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post