Sacha Baron Cohen Dumps 'Ashes' on Ryan Seacrest at Oscars: Did He Go Too Far?

“Now you know this isn’t taped. Anything can happen, and it most certainly did. All over my lapel. Those were the words of the incredibly professional, surprisingly good-natured Ryan Seacrest, cutting to commercial after Sacha Baron Cohen — dressed in character from his upcoming comedy The Dictator — dumped an urn of ashes over the E! host in the middle of the Oscars red-carpet telecast.

The incident began when Cohen, clutching a gold-colored container, told Seacrest he was carrying late North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il’s ashes in his hands. “It was his dream to come to the Oscars and to be sprinkled on the red carpet and over Halle Berry’s chest again,” he said, before “accidentally” fumbling the urn and dumping its contents onto Seacrest’s tuxedo. After a few seconds of fumbling, Cohen continued: “If somebody ask you what you are wearing, you will say Kim Jong-il!” He was then escorted away by some beefy security guards.

Seacrest, never losing his composure or his trademark smile, told Cohen to “have fun this evening,” before chatting with cohosts Giuliana Rancic and Kelly Osbourne, both of whom seemed elated by the kerfuffle. Rancic, epitomizing celebrity in the social media age, called Seacrest “lucky” to be part of a moment that would certainly blow up Twitter. Osbourne, meanwhile, told Seacrest it was “the most priceless moment on TV that I’ve shared with you ever.”

“Do you think that I’m lucky? Is this a vision of luck?” Seacrest asked, laughing, before cutting to break.

I dunno, folks: I know it’s Hollywood in 2012, and I know the object of the game is to promote your project at all costs. But to me, Cohen’s stunt wasn’t nearly entertaining enough to support its nasty after-effects. Thankfully, Seacrest is such a pro that he was able to — quite literally — brush the dirt off his shoulder, but Cohen just ended up looking desperate to promote a flick with a trailer that’s surprisingly laugh-free.

To which I ask you: Was the ashy catastrophe a good thing for the E! host? Was Cohen’s joke funny enough to make up for its undeniable obnoxiousness? Sound off below!

1. Marg says:

Sacha Baron Cohen is a jerk, nothing he does is funny and certainly not this. He should’ve been escorted off the red carpet before it ever got this far.

2. Norkir says:

The Academy should have stuck to their guns and kept SBC uninvited!! Classless, tasteless self promotion has no place at this prestigious event. He made a mockery of every nominee & recipient. Reserve this fype of foolishness for the MTV Movie awards.

3. KJ says:

This is why I am glad SBC does stuff like this. So I can read all the huffy, indignant, “this is not the time or place” post. Y’all are acting like he slaughtered kits in a nursery school or streaked the State of the Union. And I am finding it hilarious. Continue :P
    Oh and female. Totally get SBC. “I wanna be the minority!”

4. syb says:

Oh, I laughed. I’m not a fan of SBCohen type of humor, but this show was pretty forgettable except for a handful of incidents. This at least lightened up the all too precious “Aren’t we special artists?” attitude that pervades these red carpet deals.

5. Kimberly says:

The Oscars is and always has been a very upscale and sophisticated event. Sacha Baron Cohen’s “stunt” went beyond poor taste; it was classless. Kudos to Ryan Seacrest for being so calm when quite frankly, Sacha Baron Cohen deserved to be physically removed from the event!

6. Scott says:

I would have rather Baron Cohen had just dumped on Seacrest. I can’t stand Seacrest anyway, but at least he’s a totally unknown, talentless, nobody outside the US.

7. Rob2012 says:

Cohen is an idiotic no talent jerk, totally tastless moron!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Big John Slim says:

That was awesome! Seacrest is the worlds biggest douche and finally he got what was coming to him, SBC should get an award for that. People that didn’t like the stunt are just queers who are offended by Bruno.

9. Tanya says:

I’m pretty sure this isn’t the first time Ryan Seacrest has had another man spill something on his chest

• JB says:

He should’ve dumped it all over this lame douche’s head. How someone so bland & untalented has made so much $ shows how stupid this society has become.

10. Whitney Houston says:

It would have been awesome to dump Whitney Houston’s bag of coke on Ryan.

11. Sol says:

Cohen is a rude classless low life who has been very very lucky so far that someone hasn’t given him a beat down into next week or much worse. Don’t be surprised when fate finally catches up to this fool. His time is coming.