Ratings: Fringe Observes a Tiny Uptick, ABC's Shark Leaps, CBS' Boss Drops

Fox’s Fringe enjoyed its first uptick in four weeks this Friday night, adding 100,000 total viewers (to 3.1 mil) and gaining a tenth in the demo (returning to a 1.2, at long last up from its series low).

Fringe resumes Season 4 on March 23, with an uninterrupted run of eight original episodes, straight into the finale.

Elsewhere on the night….

8 pm | Undercover Boss led the hour with 8.63 million total viewers and a 1.9 rating, but was down 20 percent from last week’s time period premiere. Shark Tank (5.9 mil/1.8) gained 20 percent in the demo, while NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are, Blair Underwood? (5 mil/1.0) dropped 11 and 23 percent. Kitchen Nightmares (3.5 mil/1.5) was up about 10 percent.

9 pm | A Gifted Man (9.1 mil/1.3) fell 13 percent in the demo, allowing Grimm (4.8 mil/1.5, down a tenth) to score a win. ABC’s Primetime: WWYD (4.6 mil/1.4) was flat.

10 pm | Blue Bloods led all of Friday with 11.2 million total viewers and a 1.7 demo rating, up a few percentage points week-to-week. Dateline, 20/20, yada yada yada.

1. Mary says:

Fringe is Amazing!!! Fringe deserves a season five.

2. gamedog says:

Please don’t die fringe…

3. Alex says:

Not great ratings, but any improvement is good…
    Such an amazing episode last night!

4. ML says:

How do we get a season 5? Has Foxed said anything?
    I’m so worried they are going to cancel this amazing show

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

We ran this a month ago: http://www.tvline.com/2012/01/fringe-season-5-renewal-cancellation/
      And here is what EP Joel Wyman said on Thursday of this week:
      “Conversations are ongoing. Everything is running the way that things usually run in these types of situations. I guess, we’ll find out like everybody else. But we don’t fret about it because, really, it’s out of our control…. But if this was the last season… I would feel, obviously, incredibly sad because I know how much of the story that we have left to tell and that we would love to tell.”

• Mike says:

I know Kevin Reilly (FOX Pres) asked for there to be no petitions or anything like that because he can’t take it. But, in case people want to know, there is a Twitter Event happening during each episode’s airing. @Fringenuity has cracked the code on getting Fringe related hashtags trending during the airing to show FOX and WB that more people are watching this show (LIVE too) than Nielsen gives credit for. Even a few tweets to Nissan Leaf are thrown in there for good measure. I participated this past Friday and #LoveIsTheAnswer was the top trending hashtag nationally right before and during Fringe’s 2 airings (east and west). The more people that want to participate the merrier but follow the instructions they explicitly spell out! And Matt, maybe some publicity for the movement!? lol (I read about it on Blastr)

5. Vittoria says:

Thank you american viewers!! I cannot watch it live but I love Fringe, thanks to everyone who watched it, we deserve a fifth and final season! (and more Peter Bishop on our screens!)

6. FringeFan says:

Hallelujah! Praise The Lord! It may be small, but I’ll take it! Hopefully people are finally realizing what a gem of a show Fringe is, and it cannot be cancelled! Please Nielsen Families, watch it live, or just leave your TV on during Fringe on Fridays 9/8c!

7. Susy says:

Finally! I hope Fox will take this slight,yet important spike as an indication that Fringe deserves another season!
    Last night’s episode was amazing and it can only get better from here!

8. kevin says:

Hope there’s an online petition to save Fringe. A Gifted Man is still on life support and it looks like next week could be the end of the Patrick Wilson led medical drama and Grimm may have a better shot to get renewed for a Season Two.

9. irishrose4583 says:

yay finally an uptick! just in time to go off the air for a month…( hope people remember to come back! this show is amazing!

10. Barb says:

Figures. Now it is off for a month and will need to work with building its ratings again. These breaks do not help the show. Hoping for a 5th season.

• Doug-H says:

All network programming is in repeats in March due to basketball coming up and ratings sweeps over.. And Fringe repeats poorly frankly… So they’ll finish the year/series with 8 in a row which is OK…

11. dan says:

Thanks you commenters, for going on and on about Fringe. I decided to start watching again, and I’m glad I have. The episode with Astrid’s double coming over was great, and I loved Fauxlivia. Now I’m going to have to go back and catch up on what I’ve missed.

• FringeFan says:

Yes! Please do! And once you’ve caught up try to watch live if you can, and DVR as well :) It really is a fantastic show, you won’t regret it!

• jenna says:

I’ve almost caught up and i’m trying to go as fast as I can just so I can start watching it live! I would hate for the show to end just when I’ve started watching it :(

12. Helen says:

I really hope that a gifted man doesn’t get cancelled. Its brilliant!

13. rod says:

i dont get A Gifted Man´s ratings, how come the show is always watched by 8mil-9mil, but only scoring 1.2-3 in the demo??

• dee says:

Because a lot of those 9 million people are over the age of 49, and advertisers don’t believe people over 50 and go shopping.

• Alienate says:

Yes. I think only CBS realizes that us people over 50 are the ones with all the MONEY.
        They don’t seem to care that their shows play to an older audience.
        They laugh all the way to the bank.

• grannygeek says:

No sh*t cindy! Not only that most of people over 50 have all the $$$, many of their precious demo are still living or back living with their parents/us because of the economy.

14. panda says:

Good news.I love Fringe and i need my weekly Olivia fix.

15. andrew says:

Glad to see Shark Tank is doing well! One of my new favs!

16. ultimate troll says:

OMG enough with all the Dateline coverage! One yada is sufficient.

17. forrest says:

Good news for Fringe and the increase in audience – time for another break (4 weeks!) Granted, I have seen more Fringe promos on Fox since the Winter season began, but, I mean really, to build an audience takes consistancy. I can only hope the next 8 CONSECUTIVE episodes is able to build a following enough for another season commitment. Here’s hoping.

18. tp says:

I am happy about Fringe! However, I hate that they moved A Gifted Man. Fringe and Supernatural take precedence. I enjoyed AGM at 8 p.m.

19. jennifer says:

I have been a Fringe fan ever since its’ debut and I agree it needs another season. It’s amazing that it finally goes past a 1.1-only to leave for a month-I truly hope all my fellow Fringe fans return on March 23rd. I pray this four week break doesn’t kill off this show. Personally, the fact many more people are not watching Fringe blows my mind,as,it is an absolutely amazing & captivating program. The reason they deserve at least another season is because there are still many unresolved questions. Fringe is a show that actually makes you think,and,as of late I have figured out a few(but,only a few things).However there is still A LOT here that deserves another season to be explored and answered. One of my favorite episodes so far was also the one with Astrid-it was very well done-that episode touched me on an emotional level. I also love Olivia. I could go on and on about Fringe. One more thing:my fellow fringe fans:be sure to return & watch the beginning of eight episodes in a row on March 23. Thank you.

• Mike says:

I think people are being too harsh on this 4 week hiatus. There’s always reruns in the beginning of March for full season shows that start in the fall. February Sweeps will just have ended so a lot of shows take a break. Plus, I can’t imagine it would do well up against CBS’s March Madness coverage on Fridays. It will have to on the 23rd, but at least it’s only 1 week instead of 2 weeks. Believe it or not, I don’t think Fox is INTENTIONALLY trying to kill this show. They’re scheduling all of their shows a little differently this year. I think they prefer to air their shows in chunks than to have them on for 2 weeks, then off for a week, on for 3 more, then off for a week. The TV landscape is changing and they’re trying to evolve with it. The show needs to end in MAY SWEEPS, so I’d rather get the 3 Fridays without Fringe over with now so that we get 8 straight after. The ratings are so low right now, I think the people that are watching are planning to stick around.

20. Jessica says:

What were Supernatural’s ratings?

21. Robin says:

I really hope Fringe does not get cancelled. Please network exes – see that many viewers still love this show!!! This increase shows that!

22. Zepp says:

The ratings are stable. I feel that is coming to the fifth season of Fringe!

23. Grace says:

I SO HOPE that A GIFTED MAN does NOT get cancelled. I love their stories and the cast is great! PLEASE GIVE ‘A GIFTED MAN’ more time to find more viewers.

24. sarah says:

Glad that Blue Bloods continues to do well and SO happy that Undercover Boss did worse and that Gifted Man is not holding up as many viewers as CBS thought it would, maybe they will smarten up and realize cutting CSI NY’s season and putting it on Hiatus until the end of March WAS not the best move

25. Maddie says:

Seriously…if hawaii five o has made it then A Gifted Man should totally make it! I don’t understand people like wow