ABC's Beauty and the Beast Pilot Finds Its Beast

Get More: Casting News, News, Pilots

Of this pilot season’s two Beauty and the Beast projects, ABC’s has emerged as the first to cast its creature.

Scottish actor-singer Darius Campbell has landed the role of Shiro, a beastly bodyguard who forms an unlikely bond with a yet-to-be-cast embattled princess named Grace.

Previously for ABC’s Beast — which is described as a re-imagining of the classic fairy tale — Aussie actor Christopher Egan (Kings) was cast as Grace’s fiancé Gorrick.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

A relative newcomer to television acting (save for BBC’s Hotel Babylon), Campbell’s primary outlet to date has been West End stage musicals (including Chicago and Guys and Dolls) and singing (he’s a platinum-selling singer-songwriter). He also competed and reached the finals on the UK’s Pop Idol.

Interestingly, Egan also is no stranger to stage musicals, though there has been no indication that ABC’s Beast will have any musical element. I’m merely throwing that out there.

The CW also has a Beauty and the Beast pilot in the works this development season, though theirs is a reboot of the late-1980s TV series starring Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman. That B&B already found its beauty in Smallville alumna Kristin Kreuk.

Comments (27)

• I’m Scottish so it’ll be interesting to see darius on American TV!!

Comment by Jill – February 25, 2012 05:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this dude definitely looks like a beast. ewww

Comment by lorna – February 25, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I’m a but worried about it as i was excited about the show but trying to keep an open mind :)

Comment by magsybt – May 4, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know anything about him so I guess I can’t really say anything. But I really would have preferred someone like Jamie Dornan. He would have been amazing in this role. I like that this guy is Scottish though. Still, I don’t know why but the whole Pop Idol thing has me a little worried. I mean, the beast has to feel like a beast. He has to have this strong presence. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Comment by Autumn – February 25, 2012 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No just nooo….im sorry but no

Comment by Kaz – February 25, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? Other than the photo, not much is known about the guy, who’s good looking’. I see no reason to object.

Comment by Tracy – February 25, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m from the UK and remember watching him on Pop Idol all those years ago and seeing him in the West End (where he co-starred along America Ferrera [Ugly Betty] for a period of time last year). Quite interesting news, hoping this gets picked up now.

Comment by Jack S – February 25, 2012 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a strange bit of casting this is. I still just think of him as the weirdo with a pony tail and Goatee on who kept singing Britney Spears songs. If this makes it to air I’ll definitely have to watch just to see how it turns out.

Comment by BenVB – February 25, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do we need this show if there is already Once Upon a Time?

Comment by catherine – February 25, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts exactly. Especially with the rumplestilskin- beauty and the beast side story

Comment by jenna – February 25, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Beauty and the Beast needs a separate story where there is an actual Beast. I’m not sure where the problem is. The two are so far apart. I personally would like a full Beauty and the Beast show. I want the CW one to get picked up as well. The more the better!

Comment by Autumn – February 25, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Autumn. OUAT’s center of story is Emma. Rumple is an important character but Beauty and the beast are not (maybe only serves as a background for Rumple). But I won’t object a spin-off about Rumple and Belle anytime lol.

Comment by Lyla – February 25, 2012 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, it’s a different show, and O.U.A.T. ”Belle” is just a guest star for few episodes. After ABC, CW has another beauty and the best show [remake] in the works, too.

Comment by otch – February 26, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just looking at his photo doesn’t give you much to go on, but he just doesn’t strike me as a beast. Evil villain sure, but not the beast. Maybe it will be different once he’s in full makeup but the smarmy smile is not appealing.

Comment by lacey – February 25, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD…Seriously?? This is the guy who took himself so seriously he sang Hit me baby one more time in a ridiculously high pitched voice, he didn’t get close to the finals if I can recall. He’s mellowed but he’s still seen as a bit of a joke over here in the UK so you guys are more than welcome to have him..lol

Comment by Louise – February 25, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He came 3rd on Pop Idol. He still has his fans, he ended up winning ‘Popstar To Operastar’.

Comment by Jack S – February 26, 2012 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :S

Comment by Jay – February 25, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say I am impressed……. I guess he is good at auditions.

Comment by Rusty – February 25, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I’ll be rooting for Gaston.

Comment by Mark – February 25, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow guys we haven’t even seen this person in the series I’ll say give him a shot. I’m looking forward to see the pilot and also the CW one, altho I’m not too fond about Kristin Kreuk. But I also agree the beauty and the beast in once upon a time are AWESOME. maybe just because I love Robert Carlyle lol.

Comment by Lyla – February 25, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything Christopher Egan has been in has failed, most of them anyway. I don’t like his acting. As for this being a major Once fan why must ABC go ahead and cannibalise their own show with something similar?

Comment by Guy – February 25, 2012 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously?! The actor formerly known as Darius Danesh? Did they change his name so he sounded less foreign or so Americans couldn’t Google his god awful Pop Idol performances? Very very weird for someone so untested on screen to land such a part. Maybe he’ll be great, but I can’t imagine it right now.

Comment by Rachel – February 26, 2012 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • His proper last name was always Campbell-Danesh. Campbell is his mother, Danesh his father. If you remember he went by just Darius after Pop Idol which by the way was a decade ago, so any odd behaviour on his part should be forgiven, especially since he’s since turned out to be an accomplished West End performer. I’m sure you did some stuff 10 years ago you look back on and cringe…
    We should give him a chance before ripping him based on something he did eons ago.

Comment by SarahA – February 26, 2012 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be fair, I did admit in my post he might be good, it’s just hard to imagine. I’ve seen him in the West End (Chicago) – he does fine, but there’s a big leap from that to headlining an American TV series. I find it surprising more because he has practically zero screen experience – obviously he must have put in a hell of an audition. Afraid I don’t remember how he referred to himself after Pop Idol, in my head he’s always been Darius Danesh (even after 10 years!) and never even knew about Campbell. And no, 10 years ago, I didn’t do anything even remotely cringey as Pop Idol. Commenting that it did happen to him is not me “ripping” into him. I do believe that’s why they changed his name though (I would!).
      Will totally give him a chance when the time comes – I can be surprised at his casting without be closed minded to his performance when it airs.

Comment by Rachel – February 27, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is Belle?

Comment by otch – February 26, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darius will be perfect, Trevor Nunn picked him to play Rhett Butler in his westend musical of Gone with the Wind, and he was superb, he has played a baddy on Tv, as well as Billy Flynn in Chicago 4 times, and Sky Masterton in Guys and Dolls – at 6 foot 5 – I can see he will have great presence as the beast, and with his rich deep toned voice I can’t wait to see him -I beleive he will be wearing a mask of some sort – I loved Once upon a Time, so if this is similar it will be fantastic!

Comment by DeeDee – February 29, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so excited to hear there was a remake. CW remake is a total disappiontment because vincient and catherine was more of a love story than and action movie. I hate CW concept already. I’m trying to keep a open mind about the ABC Remake hope it don’t let me down. Vincient was a poet, lover,with a voice to charm your panties off. I don’t think any man can pull off Vincient but Vincient so call Ron Perlman. Ron Perlman still has the body and voice. Ron Perlman is now 62 years old and still handsome as HELL! Perez Hilton has the cheek bones but not the body, but you could fix that.

Comment by michelle crute – June 12, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post