Ratings: Big Bang Scores Big Win Over Idol, Person of Interest Catches Grey's in Demo

The Big Bang Theory this week perhaps pulled off its biggest Thursday win to date, besting American Idol not only in head-to-head competition but overall as well.

Inching up a few percentage points week-to-week, Big Bang drew 16.1 million total viewers and a 5.2 demo rating, while Idol did 14 mil/4.0 in the shared half-hour and 15.4 mil/4.4 across the full 60 minutes.

The CBS hitcom thus emerged as Thursday’s most-watched and highest-rated program. And you got to see Sheldon play the bongos.

Michael Slezak’s American Idol Recap: Semi-Sweet Dreams

Idol meanwhile was down 13 percent in the demo versus last Thursday, while year-over-year Night 2 of the Top 24 reveal was off by 28 and 37 percent.

Among the night’s big gainers, The Office (5 mil/2.6) was up 14 percent, while lead-out Up All Night (3.45 mil/1.8) rose 16 and 20 percent. On the flip side, Private Practice felt the steepest drop, down 9 and 15 percent to 6.4 mil and a 2.2.

Going hour by hour…

8 pm | CBS’ Rob drew 10.6 mil and a 3.0, dipping 6 percent in the demo. Wipeout was steady with 5 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating. NBC’s 30 Rock (3.7 mil/1.5) and Parks and Recreation (3.42 mil/1.7) both were flat.

Community Season 3 Return Date Revealed! Plus Other NBC Schedule Changes

9 pm | Person of Interest, up 10 percent to 14.4 million total viewers and a 3.1 rating, led the hour in audience and tied Grey’s Anatomy (steady at 8.9 mil/3.1) in the demo for the first time ever. Fox’s The Finder (6.2 mil/2.0) dipped a tenth in the demo.

10 pm | The Mentalist (13.2 mil/2.5) dipped a few percentage points but of course led the hour, with Private Practice, as already noted, slipping some.

What were you tuned into this Thursday? And why do you think Idol‘s Top 24 reveal had markedly fewer viewers versus last season?

1. Cinders says:

The Big Bang Theory was just full of Sheldon awesomeness. No wonder it pulled out the big win. Howard at NASA as the B story was hilarious, too.

2. Eric says:

Big Bang Theory was terrific!

3. apor says:

Yes for POI, but what happen to Greys. Two weeks ago it hit a 3.9, and it now is a 3.1. Greys however is not the only show to be down from its results from two weeks ago. Most shows seem to be down 2 to 4 tenths from their averages of two weeks ago.

• Joseph says:

There were movements but most shows have have settled after the shocker the Networks had last week.
      The really large movers were Grey’s – down .9 and American Idol down 1.3.
      The others network shows moved down in a range of .1 and .4.

4. Carmichael says:

You know, the cynic in me wonders if NBC is putting Community back at 8 hoping for low ratings so they cancel it.

5. Alex says:

Person of Interest has really shaped up to be a great show, the ratings got off to an ok start but they’ve been pretty steadily good lately and the past few episodes have been fantastic.

6. kevin says:

CBS better cancel Rob as does Rules of Engagement when the show returns and IDOL still can’t catch a break. Can’t wait for the premiere of AWAKE next Thursday on NBC.

7. RS says:

“Set my DVR to record Big Bang Theory. The whole world is watching this thing, and I’ve got to know why.” — Dr. Cox, Scrubs

8. gcem says:

I was definitely the Howard and Sheldon Show last. I don’t know who was funnier. Loved the bongo drumming Sheldon and the very, very broken Howard. Love this show!!!!

9. kirads09 says:

Yay for Big Bang Theory and Person of Interest! :)

10. Lil Jo says:

Two words
    Bongo Solo!

11. gcem says:

*sigh* “It was…” I just hate that, don’t you?

12. Templar says:

Simon Helberg is brilliant in his portrayal of Howard on TBBT. Second only to Jim Parsons in that altogether stellar cast. This show just gets better and better.

13. Sarah says:

I wonder if Fox will finally pull The Finder from the schedule with it getting the lowest demos since its premiere and falling two tenths from the last episode..

• Renee says:

I hope not I really enjoy The Finder.

• Marcie says:

I also hope not. It was fun last night, with Hodgins’ visiting. I’m starting to get into it.

• Christina says:

They won’t pull it. If they could, they would’ve done it weeks ago. The problem is that they don’t have anything (aka new and edited Bones episodes) to replace it with. However, they’ll only air 10 episodes of the Finder in the post-AI time slot instead of the original 13. Don’t know when the rest of the episodes will be aired, but they won’t be on after Idol, as Bones resumes its season on April 5th.

14. Mikaylah says:

I watched TBBT, The Finder, Grey’s Anatomy, Person of Interest, and The Mentalist. All were good. Person of Interest, in particular, I really enjoyed. Loved seeing Hodgins on The Finder.

15. Justin says:

I enjoyed The Finder (with Hodgins) last night. I especially enjoyed Person of Interest, Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation, and the Office.

16. Alice says:

Sheldon needs to play the Bongos at some point in the future. Like Rock,Paper,Scissors,Lizard,Spock, this needs to happen again next season. “Never play the bongos going down the stairs!”

17. dot says:

Parks and rec is so funny it should be getting way more viewers wish people would give it a chance please watch at least one time!

18. Cam says:

Idol had dragged this final top 24 selection waaaay too long! They need to keep it tighter.

19. TFF says:

The Finder was great. Very underrated show. People should really give it a chance. Stop compairing it to Bones. Bones is a great show, and so is The Finder. It just happens to be in the same TV Universe, so crossovers can happen. The Finder is not a spinoff of Bones, its like its little brother. Not the same person, but same family/same DNA(aka Writers, producers, occasionaly actors).

20. Filmboy60 says:

Big Bang Theory,Person of interest,The Mentalist,all top quality entertainment.I think you need to give the finder time to grow,it has potential.

21. Guest says:

I think what people tend to forget is that people continue to watch shows since they are invested in the characters. While I agree that singing competitions need to focus on the talent, this changes every season. Thus, there needs to be some investment on the audience’s part to want to watch the judges season after season. Then they get invested in the contestants during their season. AI was successful way back because audiences actually were invested in what the judges would say, particularly Simon, who was a character unto himself. However, I think Simon jumped the shark in his last two seasons when he really didn’t seem to care and that affected how people received him in X-Factor. Not to mention that X-Factor is overtly manufactured. Now, I think AI is finding that while they can continue to get big numbers because of the show’s format, people are not as inclined to hear or believe what Randy, JLo and Steven think about the contestants. Thus, retention season per season can fluctuate greatly until contestants are identified. I think this is what The Voice recognized. As a TV show, their judges provide good TV. The banter is great and they all have personalities and convictions not driven by the producers’ desire to pander to every possible kind of audience out there. Whether they can keep this up over 10 seasons is yet to be seen. Everything and everyone has a saturation point.

22. jess says:

I’m not bitter about how craptastic Idol has been these past couple of years… what am I talking about? of course I am! Yay for TBBT, aka actually entertaining TV!!!
    P.S. the only good thing about Idol is that it provides fodder for the funniest web series on the internet: Idolatry, i mean, idoloonie, i mean, idology. Yep that’s the one. :)

23. JJ says:

I’m definitely not understanding how TBBT is so popular. Don’t get me wrong, I do think the cast is great it’s so predictable/dated that it strike me as an 80s/90s type of sitcom. Wait I take that back, about the cast, Haley Cuoco is dreadful.
    I do hope FOX takes note of AI’s drop and makes some changes. While The Voice entertains viewers with their auditions AI detains them holding them prisoner through loooooong dragged auditions, Hollywood week, top 24 reveal with a less appealing judging panel. Steven Tyler has two phrases ‘I loved it’ and ‘that was beautiful’. While Randy has been there for a decade and needs to go away. J Lo is ok but they need to lose. 2/3 of that panel.

24. DogBoy says:

Idol beat itself by setting up this week’s shows the way they did. After watching the Wednesday night’s borefest, people opted to skip the second straight night of the fake drama of selecting Top 24. The numbers will go back up next week when actual singing takes place.

25. amy says:

I’m sorry but I don’t find BBT funny at all. Sheldon and co. says some nerdy stuff and people laugh at that. Community and Parks and Rec are way superior.

26. Svenja says:

TBBT deserves the ratings. They are getting better and better and better. This week’s ep was terrific!!!