Bones' T.J. Thyne Has Fun Helping The Finder: Unlike Booth, Walter Takes Hodgins Seriously

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

Though Bones doesn’t return until April 5, fans can still get a dose of Hodgins, that lovable conspiracy theorist, when T.J. Thyne visits Fox’s The Finder this Thursday at 9/8c. The set-up: When the Jeffersonian team takes a breather, Hodgins will play — or more specifically go hunting for ETs! — in Miami with the spinoff’s offbeat P.I., Walter Sherman (played by Geoff Stults). Thyne gave TVLine an overview of this second Bones crossover.

Exclusive: The Finder Hosts 7th Heaven Reunion, Casts George Stults as Geoff’s TV Brother

TVLINE | What brings Hodgins to Florida?
Hodgins is in Miami because he’s presented with this opportunity to find something that has landed somewhere on planet Earth that came from outer space. He has not a clue where this object might be, so he comes to the one person that he believes can help him find it — Walter.  Jack is convinced that it involves aliens, that this is definitely something very extraterrestrial in origin. Walter isn’t necessarily convinced of that, but he’s willing to have a go at it. Whether it ends up being aliens or not, there’s definitely a huge conspiracy going on and these two conspiracy theorists together make a good team to be tackling this.

TVLINE | Is Hodgins, like, in Heaven?
He really is. Hodgins is in Heaven. In his world up in D.C., people don’t take him seriously, you know? Booth kind of shrugs him off like he’s just an idiot, and yet Walter really, really thinks that he’s got something here, and that’s so fun to play. It’s really exciting to have someone take you seriously when this means so much to you, so we really get to see a side of Jack that we haven’t seen before.

TVLINE | Since Walter isn’t really a believer in aliens, do they butt heads a bit?
They butt heads a lot, but they also get along. They have a really good chemistry. They come up with different plans on how to solve some things, and they’re both right there with each other on it. But the actual what is happening is the thing that they butt heads on from the start to the end. For Jack, it’s very much about extraterrestrial life and for Walter, it’s very much about “the Man” and corporations and things like that. But they’re both convinced that something is in fact happening, and I think they’re right.

Bones Exclusive: Find Out When It’s Returning!

TVLINE | Do you interact with some of The Finder‘s other characters, too?
Yeah. When this world is opened, Hodgins warns them that there’s many people that are not going to like the fact that they’re out looking for this thing — and sure enough, they run right smack into those people. It rattles Walter and so he needs to bring the rest of the team on board to help.

TVLINE | What’s going on back in the homestead while Hodgins is in Florida?
Angela’s off with the baby, doing like a mommy-and-tots arts camp off in Sedona, which is very Angela. And of course, Jack is fine with that. And since Cam’s off on vacation for about a week, the Jeffersonian Lab is shut down. So Jack, instead of going off and having a lot of fun somewhere or going on vacation, heads down to Miami to dig deep with Walter into this conspiracy.

TVLINE | Bones and The Finder share a timeline then?
They’re both taking place at the same time, yeah, which is really fun. That’s what allows us to do these crossovers, and I actually love that. So yes, we can come back and forth — and matter of fact, we do.

Comments (13)

• Boy they are really trying hard to make The Finder work. Maybe too hard? Am I the only one who finds the rebellious teen girl obnoxious?

Comment by kirads09 – February 23, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know what you mean. I’m hoping that Sweets/Hodgins are only showing up because it’s so early on and they’re not busy with Bones right now. At some point they’re going to have to see how it does standing on it’s own two legs. As for the teen, I would have agreed with you up until that episode where we find out about her and her fiancé, and now I’m intrigued.

Comment by Arlo – February 23, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • some of the wittiest dialog on TV right now, and Walter and Leo are a great team

Comment by Cindy – February 23, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I love the bantering between them.

Comment by Ashleah – February 23, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually really enjoying The Finder.

Comment by Ashleah – February 23, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. I watch it ever week.

Comment by Irish – February 23, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually, I didn’t like the first episode much, but it has grown on me since then. This sounds like fun, and I’m not even a fan of Jack.

Comment by Marcie – February 23, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is fun. I really enjoy it.

Comment by Renee – February 23, 2012 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never watched Bones in my life, despite hearing many good things about it. I guess it’s just something I’ve never gotten around to, what with all those other shows to watch, keep track of, and catch up on. However, I did start watching The Finder when it premiered and it has quickly become my favorite new show of the entire 2011-2012 television season. It’s absolutely wonderful and always keeps my interest. I hope the Bones crossovers generate enough interest to help keep the show going, because it’s absolutely fantastic.

Comment by R.T. – February 23, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The keep away from the zoom-in autopsy shots and I’ll keep watching Finder. It’s a LOT less soap than Bones as well, which I find a good thing.

Comment by John – February 23, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They put Hodgins in a suit? Wow.

Comment by Liz – February 23, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched the show last year at the sneak peak episode and really like it and enjoy it more now. It has been interesting in learning about Walter and Leo’s backstory. Hopefully, they will show more of how they got together and how the female FBI agent got involved with them. It’s a fun show and I hope it stays on for awhile – at leat 2-3 years!

Comment by majamababe – February 23, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a huge fan of Bones AND The Finder so this definately works for me. And to the person wondering whether The Finder can stand on its own, it CAN, but like some other great shows that are under-watched and under-rated (ahem…Arrested Development) they need the viewers. Thursday has never been a great night for new tv shows. If there is a show that can make Thursdays more exciting (Big Bang Theory excluded), this is it.

Comment by Ray – February 23, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post