Exclusive: FNL's Aimee Teegarden to Headline CW's Hunger Games-esque Pilot The Selection

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Aimee Teegarden The SelectionAimee Teegarden has hit the proverbial jackpot.

The Friday Night Lights ingenue has been tapped to headline The Selection, The CW’s Hunger Games-esque drama pilot that’s described as an epic romance set 300 years in the future which centers on a poor young woman who is chosen by lottery to participate in a competition to become the next queen of a war-torn nation at a crossroads.

The project, based on the forthcoming series of books by Kiera Cass, is being shepherded by Angel/Shield/Vampire Diaries scribes Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain.

Comments (36)

• I was just thinking the other day about how Aimee Teegarden needed to join a Pilot this season. The show sounds interesting, I would probably check it out. If it gets picked up I mean.

Comment by Jorge Jose Herrera – February 23, 2012 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Aimee. Unfortunately, I won’t watch this. It’s okay to knock-off Twilight because Stephenie Meyer had no claim on vampires, but this is a direct knock-off of The Hunger Games, and everyone is going to see that.

Comment by Slizabeth – February 23, 2012 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and one can claim that portions of The Hunger Games are a “knock off” of Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery! Art is art is art is art. it gets bended and reshaped and reflung out into the world every day.

Comment by ak – February 23, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love that you name-checked The Lottery. I seriously LOVE that short story. So great and sooo disturbing.

Comment by Jason Rey – February 23, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the idea of a lottery to select tributes for a deadly competition dates back to ancient greece – if you read anything susan collins said about the hunger games you would know that

Comment by sonr – February 23, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! The whole Minotaur myth is about that! I love The Hunger Games, but it’s just a different way of retelling a story.

Comment by Belle – February 23, 2012 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And The Hunger Games is a knock-off of Battle Royale. Everyone does it.

Comment by whatevs – February 23, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually the synopsis for the book that this is based on (which is not yet out) makes it sound more like the Biblical story of Esther, then the Hunger Games. Think about it, beautiful young women taken from a life of poverty to the palace, forced to compete in what is essentially a overblown beauty contest, with a chance to be the new queen. That’s totally Esther.

Comment by Regal – February 23, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the Hunger Games, no matter how much I ADORE it, is basically a knock- off of Battle Royale.

Comment by Natalie – June 23, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, I think i’ll hold off judgment. I read the full book description and it isn’t as close to the Hunger Games as this article made it sound. I’m happy now. lol

Comment by Slizabeth – February 23, 2012 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you’re going to look at it that way Slizabeth, consider that Hunger Games itself was essentially a ripoff of the Japanese “Battle Royale”

Comment by Calvin – February 23, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking!

Comment by Bernadette – February 23, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • only its not the idea of people killing each other for entertainment has been around since gladiators so its not really a rip off. I’ve read both novels and watched the battle royale movie and can tell you they’re nothing alike both are great though

Comment by t.t – February 23, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m interested to see what Aimee will be like in this and how she’ll play the part. I saw Prom that other day and she was TERRIBLE. Couldn’t believe it was the same gal from Friday Night Lights. Not that anyone in Prom was great because the writing and dialogue was awful, but still, I expected more from Julie Taylor.
    And yes, this really does sound like a rip-off of the Hunger Games. The books it’s based on aren’t even out yet, what is that about? Sounds like someone told this author to cash in on Collin’s success, take her concept and go write a similar book… how original. Having said all that, everyone wanted to be the first one to say that the Vampire Diaries was a copy of Twilight, and while it certainly wouldn’t have been made if it wasn’t for those books/films, it isn’t like them. It has really evolved into a great show for The CW and is the most consistantly entertaining program they have. So I’m not opposed to giving the show a chance.

Comment by C – February 23, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Vampire Diaries “copied” Twilight? That’s hilarious. The Vampire Diaries were written back in the 90s, before the Cullens and co. ever popped into SMeyer’s little head. The CW didn’t option it until they realized that oooh, all the tweens are falling for vampires, so they scrambled to find a property. Secret Circle is another LJ Smith series from the 90s… she has another one called “The Forbidden Game”, wonder how long it’ll take them to ‘adapt’ that one.
      Hollywood needs to wake up and get original. People are sick of the damn ripoffs and cash cows already.

Comment by Amanda – February 23, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you read C’s post? He/she said that “Everyone WANTED to say….” not it did…So yeah not so hilarious.

Comment by Josh – February 23, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you! Amanda, I’m well aware LJ Smith wrote her books long before Meyer, but that didn’t stop people from suggesting the show was a copy/rip-off of Twilight and that’s exactly what a lot of people did say. It still had something to prove, as does this show.

Comment by C – February 23, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Vampire Diaries was written way before Twilight… Although I’m sure the success of Twilight ensured it being adapted for TV.

Comment by SDU – February 23, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the hunger gaes hardly has a unique concept. it stands out for being well written – unique in the young adult field.
      the cw will try to link the show to hunger games for ratings.
      the idea of young women being drafted to serve as queen sounds like it came from star wars episode 1 – phantom menace.

Comment by sonr – February 23, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is completely diferent, yes, and if you look clodsely the original l j smmith book was written in 1991, 14 years before twilight’s 2005 publication. But i take your point ;)

Comment by Katy – February 23, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My excitement has dimmed…I always found her to be one of the weaker links of Friday Night Lights…..Actually she had always been the weakest link…

Comment by Josh – February 23, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also a horrible idea for a show to come out before a book series. A movie is bad enough but with the book coming out first, the book series just becomes the “copy” to which it’s compared too. Horrible move.

Comment by Josh – February 23, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy for Aimee. I hope the show works out for her.

Comment by Leslie – February 23, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there ANYTHING that you whiners won’t complain about? A good actress is cast in a show that’s decidedly unique for The CW, and all you can do is drone on about how the vague description “sounds” too close to a movie that’s not even out now.
    There’s a word for chicks like you, but I think I ‘d be banned for life from this site if I used it.

Comment by Jason – February 23, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Welcome to the internet where people complain, a lot. Honestly though, it’d be a bit boring if all we did was reply saying things like “omigod yes this sounds so good, love hunger games lolz” and every comment was brimming with positivity. Least we’re discussing it and having a bit of debate about it’s casting and concept. Also you realise you are now whining about people whining… and I don’t think everyone would agree that Aimme is a “good” actress, just sayin’.

Comment by Veronica – February 23, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Everyone says everything’s a ripoff. Can we please get a little more original with the criticism already? I’m all for negative comments that foster productive discussion, but “Hey look, it’s set in the future and people compete with each other” does not a Hunger Games replica make. It’s called marketing. What, do you think marketers just sit back and let trends pass them by? Timing is everything. Also, so many things are adaptations. Vampire Diaries, the Walking Dead, Pretty Little Liars are only a few on air right now. Being “unoriginal” doesn’t make them bad. Just like being “original” doesn’t make something good.

Comment by Emily – February 24, 2012 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chicks??? Out of 16 posts, there are 3 guys (4 including you), 4 girls names, and 3 names that are ambiguous and so could be guys or gals. Sexist much?????????

Comment by Katy – February 23, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Initially I was resisting interest in this show because it annoyed me that it seemed like it was a rip off of The Hunger Games. I still think that, but the presence of some FNL alum makes me reconsider.

Comment by soarin829 – February 23, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when when when!!!

Comment by ak – February 23, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Despite this being an obvious “this will be popular, so let’s do it too!” scam, so was The Vampire Diaries. And that turned out to be the best thing on the network.
    I am not, however, convinced of Ms. Fain and Ms. Craft’s writing abilities. Whenever I see their names on screen, I brace for a weaker episode.

Comment by Sam – February 23, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “…is being shepherded by Angel/Shield/Vampire Diaries scribes Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain.” AND AIMEE TEEGARDEN AKA JULIE TAYLOR FROM FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS?!?! done. I’m watching even if it is bad. I’ll at least give it a shot. The Shield and FNL were AMAZING shows so I owe it to them. Angel is a spin off from Buffy so hell yeah, I’m on board!

Comment by Kay – February 23, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’ll always be Julie Taylor ’til the very end. Wondering if Aimee will reprise her role in the movie version of FNL.

Comment by kevin – February 23, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree that nothing is truly unique out there and almost everything could be termed a ripoff if you only look at the surface. And that’s all we have so far on this particular project. Nowhere near enough information to make any statement on whether it’ll be good or bad.

Comment by sara – February 23, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will all the haters just cool their jets, and wait for the actual show to come out before you start hating on it? It’s physically impossible for someone to make such severe assumptions and accusations for a Series that barely even got two paragraphs about it. Kiera’s great and she’s not one to “ripoff” anything. There’s a difference between ripping off and then twisting and turning an idea to make it unique and your own.
    True The Selection is like The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor but before we start insulting her work and dedication we should just give it a chance.
    End of rant.

Comment by V – February 23, 2012 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it me or does she look really old in that picture. She is young and beautiful why is she covered in make up and have Lisa Rinna lips

Comment by Jase – February 24, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought she was suppose to be on another show?

Comment by Shannon – May 2, 2013 03:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post