Ratings: Cougar Town Dips Slightly, Glee Finale Up, Ringer Rebounds

ABC’s Cougar Town, in its second week back, drew 4.5 million total viewers while scoring a 1.7 demo rating. That marks dips of 8 and 6 percent from its Season 3 opener.

Elsewhere, it was business as usual, with NCIS topping the night in both total viewers (holding steady at 19.6 million) and in the demo (down a tenth to a 3.8).

Over on Fox, Glee‘s winter finale (7.4 million viewers/2.9 rating) inched up a few percentage points, New Girl (6.25 mil/3.0) was relatively flat, and Raising Hope (4.85 mil/2.2) saw a tiny uptick.

Michael Slezak’s Glee Recap: A very Special Cliffhanger

The good-ish news for Ringer fans is that with an audience of 1.4 million and a 0.5 demo rating this Tuesday, the CW freshman gained some 25 percent versus its unarguably dreadful week-ago tallies.

A few other notes….

* Teeing up Cougar Town, Last Man Standing held steady at 7.5 mil and a 2.2. Come 9 pm, ABC’s The River was flat in Week 4 with 4.8 million viewers and a 1.7.

* NCIS: Los Angeles (15.9 mil/2.9) was down 9 percent in the demo to a season low.

* At 10 o’clock, Unforgettable (10.6 mil/1.9) dropped 17 percent to an all-time low demo rating, yet still led the hour. Parenthood, with 4.9 mil and a 1.7, was up 10 and 6 percent and placed second in the demo. Body of Proof (6.5 mil/1.4) gained 5 and 17 percent.

1. rob60990 says:

Poor Cougar Town. Not a chance this comes back. :D

2. Kate says:

So what Cougar Town has dipped, its still AWESOME!!!!!! ABC need to learn how to market this show!

• Mags says:

Not to mention how to pair it with something compatible. ABC has such a weird line up, no way anyone sits through their whole line up

• KevyB says:

No kidding! Tuesday goes from Tim Allen’s witless laughtrack festival to Cougar Town’s smart “we’ll supply our own laughs, thank you” show to The River and then to Body of Proof! What kind of lineup is that? Our only hope is that Don’t Trust the B in Apartment 23 tanks and they put Cougar Town back in that slot until they decide to put Happy Endings back (unless Happy Endings is done for the season at that point). Though why can’t they just shuffle those two and Suburgatory throughout the season so those slots are never reruns?

3. alyssa897 says:

I think the reason why Ringer spiked so much in viewers was because Misha Collins guest starred. I know a lot of Supernatural fans that watched just for him.

• DreamRose311 says:

Heh, yeah I came here to comment the same thing. Hopefully some of those who turned in just for Misha will stick around though…

• Pand Bear says:

Well, i have ben watching Ringer since it first started and have seen every episode. It waas jus an added bonus with Misha, since he wont b back on Supernatural until March.

4. kevin says:

Cougar Town is becoming one of its “bubble shows” as does Unforgettable, Body of Proof, Ringer and a few others on Tuesday nights. Meanwhile, the fate of Parenthood is still unanswered and they rather have another shot at renewal just like it did last year. :(

5. Jason Rey says:

What really sucks about Cougar Town is that they announced it’s coming back, then had limited advertising, for about a month. It was announced sometime in mid-January that Cougar Town was coming back on Valentine’s Day, giving less than a month of time for people to learn about this gem of a show. I fear NBC is doing the exact same thing with Community. Though I am super-happy it’s coming back on March 15 (hooray!!), that’s less than a month away. From an inpatient fan’s point of view – awesome. From the point of view of someone who realizes that that means virtually NO time for advertising or getting in new viewers – less awesome.

• daeb says:

Jason Rey, you are right. Cougar Town gets no love from the network, and that’s a crying shame. I’m a huge fan, and I didn’t know it was coming back on VDay.

• Greg says:

you cant compare the two, community is returning to finish its season so it doesnt need the same promotion as a show just starting its season after being off air for almost a year.

6. Michael C. says:

I will admit I do not particulary care for Cougar Town. But I am one of those people that sympathizes with viewers who love this show. Like all of us we tend to mourn the loss of a great show when it is cancelled. Who knows it might get another season. What I thought though was just plain rediculous is the fact the Cougar Town cast made cameos on other ABC shows. That was super dumb and pointless, talk about pathetic.

• Oh yes says:

Oh yes, it is so pathetic to try to raise awareness about the show that you work on. What losers.

• Amber says:

As much as I love Cougartown, I found the cameos to be a bit odd as far as promotions go. I’m not really sure how much awareness it raised. I heard about the cameo blitz the show was doing, but then never noticed a single one of them appearing on any of the shows mentioned. Of course I also missed the cameo of the 6’4″ Conan on How I Met Your Mother this week, so I’m obviously not the most observant one.

7. JAmandaFan says:

I loved last night’s CougarTown- and I don’t understand why people aren’t watching it–the writing is crazy good and the actors are so fun to watch! Why can’t the people who watch Last Man Standing–just leave their TV on and go into the other room?…(We need their ratings!)

• Jon says:

I was a big fan of Spin city and Scrubs so I gave it a try, watched 3 episodes but didn’t feel myself liking the show. I hope it stays on the air but not for everyone.

• KSM says:

If you haven’t watched in a while, you may want to give it another shot – it’s a funny show, and very different from what it was the first season!

• Cindy says:

Depending on which 3 episodes you watched, I would definitely give it another go! It took them a little bit to get into the groove of what the show’s about, and it’s pretty awesome right now!

8. jess says:

wait, there was a new ringer episode?! My CW just showed ACC basketball game! F!!!

9. Mike says:

CT is Abc’s Community, the network is trying to kill it.

10. Rameses says:

So hooked on Ringer after watching it last night. I’ll be sure to watch it every week even though Misha won’t be there….OH WAIT.
    m1sha5ever <5

11. KSM says:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Cougar Town once Glee is in hiatus. I know that I’ve been DVRing Cougar Town and watching Glee live – next week I’ll be watching Cougar Town. Granted, I’m not a Nielsen viewer, but I can’t be the only one that likes both shows. They are both pretty campy. I will say though, if people get others to watch Cougar Town, people like it. I convinced my husband to watch it this weekend with me and he loved it!

• Cindy says:

Agree completely! People need to get others to just give it a chance because the title has nothing to do with how AMAZING the show is (though as an original CT fan, I still love the title anyways haha). And I’ve started to do the reverse – DVR Glee and watch Cougar Town. I really do hope there’s a good turnaround for CT in the upcoming episodes!!

12. Svenja says:

So happy about Ringer gaining viewers again.
    It’s such a good show.
    NCIS deserves high ratings. YAY. Last night’s ep was awesome.
    I am kinda sad that NCIS LA had a season low in demo. Last night’s ep was one of the best of the season so far with a strong cliffhanger

13. Rolfe says:

Good to see Ringer get an uptick. Hopefully it can continue next week.

14. sarah says:

So happy Ringer is up in viewers as was Parenthood!

15. fernando says:

I hope Body of Proof gets a season 3 and gets moved to Sunday nights, Tuesday night isnt working for it anymore, I think with Sundays it can at least be in the 8 million and make at least a 2.0 Demo and I hope The River resolves most of the story by ep. 8 because I really like this show but you know people dont want to give it a chance.

16. Cindy says:

If Pan Am gets cancel then Cougar Town should get cancel,sorry CT fans but ABC can not canel one show with low 3 to 4 million ratings and save another with the same or close to the same ratings it would not be fair. either cancel both or renew both.

• tripoli says:

What does fair have to do with it? I highly doubt that being fair is considered when deciding to cancel or renew. Plus Cougar Town is awesome and Pan Am is dreadful.

• AK says:

I think more than just ratings goes into the decision of whether or not to cancel a show. It helps if the show has award wins, like in the case of Mad Men. A network can forgive low ratings if they have emmys behind the program. Also, the production budget has a lot to do with it. An expensive to produce low-rated hour-long drama has a much worse chance of getting renewed than a cheaper to produce half-hour comedy. Just my humble opinion. Fairness doesn’t exist in life, I’m afraid.

17. Cyn says:

I know I only watched Ringer for Misha so look for ratings to fall again next wk….

18. Cindy says:

If you are a Cougar Town fan who hasn’t joined the grassroots movement to gain more viewers, please do so! And ABC, please give the show a chance – it’s a crappy title but it’s a wonderful show!!! I too hate that the show gets no support from the network – it also has a terrible timeslot right now :( Still crossing my fingers for a turnaround for the show.

19. S says:

So happy to hear about Ringer. They need good GUEST STARS. I have no idea why they dont offer a role to some Buffy alum like Anthony Head.

20. Ella says:

To be fair, this isn’t great news for Ringer fans due to the fact that the 25% spike came from fans of Misha Collins who knew he would be guest starring. His following is MASSIVE. Ringer’s ratings will go back to being awful next week and it won’t last beyond this season.

• Kalie says:

Come on. I like Misha Collins, but I wouldn’t say his following is massive. Most people don’t even know who he is. I doubt the spike was entirely due to his appearance. Everyone knew that this episode would reveal why Siobhan hates her sister so much. Plus, there was that huge reveal at the end of last week’s ep.

21. Mikael says:

Nielson is so OBSOLETE! They need to rethink how they figure out ratings and which tv show is being watched the most, because people don’t watch live anymore. It’s like how Billboard had to change their method of music rankings to include downloads instead of just radio plays, and now it gives a much better sample of what people are listening to.