Pilot Scoop: Brandon Routh Cast as Michael Urie's Boyfriend in CBS Comedy Partners

Brandon Routh PartnersErstwhile Man of Steel Brandon Routh is sweeping Ugly Betty‘s Michael Urie off his feet.

As first reported by Deadline.com, the Chuck baddie has been cast as the boyfriend of Urie’s character in Partners, CBS’ comedy pilot from from Will & Grace creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan.

Pilot Season Lingo Guide (Including the ‘Scary’ Second Position), Plus a List of Picked-Up Pilots

The sitcom revolves around lifelong friends and business partners —architects  Charlie (not yet cast), who is straight, and Louis (Urie), who is gay. Routh will play Louis’ steady boyfriend, a former alcoholic model who’s now a sober, vegan nurse.

The cast also includes One Tree Hill‘s Sophia Bush as Charlie’s fiance Ali, Elizabeth Regen as the duo’s assistant, and Lucy Davis (the UK Office) as a colleague of Ali’s.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Nickodimas says:

That’s hot!

• lorna says:

brandon routh was incredible with justin long in ‘zach and miri.’ have not seen him as superman but the roles ive seen him in, i love. good for him.

2. scorpo says:

I want in the middle of that action

3. Cassie says:

Will love seeing Michael Urie’s smiling face once again gracing my small screen. It’s been too long. Can’t wait for Partners! The “former alcoholic model who’s now a sober, vegan nurse” boyriend sounds intriguing. Hehe

• The Squatch says:

…and they are now two of my favorite people in the world for making those references… Awesome movie. To me anyway. hehe

4. RyanT says:

He plays a vegan here? OOOH will he have super powers?

5. Mark says:

Idk how much I buy him as gay or that he would get with Michael Urie…

6. ally says:

Ha Ha! Great comment!Look at his eyes, they don’t glow so …I guess not.

7. Templar says:

So, is that the new wave for shows? NBC has The New Normal, CBS has this. All that’s left is for ABC to resurrect Cagney & Lacey as lesbians.

8. gurl says:

Just seeing Routh’s stupid face makes me angry for how he ruined the Superman movie.

9. gurl says:

Just seeing Routh’s face makes me angry for how he ruined the Superman movie.

• Ruby says:

If by “Brandon Routh” you mean “Kate Bosworth” then I agree. But Routh didn’t ruin Superman. He was perfect in the role.

• Hera says:

Perfectly awful. Routh can’t act to save his life. It’s why he’s sunk to 5th billing gay boyfriend on TV, five years after he was a leading man in film. He is just a pisspoor actor, who has finally sunk to his appropriate level.

• Ann says:

It wasn’t Brandon Routh who ruined the movie. It was the horrible script, dumb plot, and terrible directing.

• tarc says:

Routh was brilliant in the role – the script was terrible (terrible, terrible, terrible).

• penn says:

So he was brilliant at being terrible? LOL. Now THAT, I agree with. Routh was the very embodiment of terrible, terrible, terrible in Superman. A weak wooden actor all around.

10. Darth Pablo says:

Gelato isnt vegan?

11. Paola says:

It’s milk and eggs, b**ch.

12. sally says:

At least Brandon isn’t stretching his meager acting skills. Playing gay again is well with in his limited range.

13. erica says:

#1- I don’t buy them as a couple.
    #2- Urie is a waaaayy better actor than Routh!

14. Adriana says:

Great news! BTW, Routh is happily married.

15. Ruby says:

Geez, did Urie sell his soul to the devil or what? That’s quite a catch!

16. Lauren says:

Excited about this show, love Sophia Bush and Michael Urie and Brandon Routh was hilarious in Zack and Miri. Looking forward to hearing who is playing the other ‘Partner’.

17. Katy says:

Brandon Routh is actually a pretty good actor – he was passable as supperman (i’m a huge fan of all things superman), he was funny in the terrible Scott wassisface vs the world or whatever and if you need proof of his capabilities, just watch Chuck – he was amazing as Shaw, truly chilling and a fantastic bad guy!

18. Benjamin Kabak says:

Routh isn’t [playing gay. He is. How do you think he cast as Superman? Brian Singer directed. Connect the dots.

• well says:

Bryan Singer is well known for using the casting couch and liking to cast his sextoys, but straight directors have been doing that forever with females. Nowadays, it just goes both ways.

19. Mike says:

wow lots of ignorant and bitter people here.. but yeah, I’m very excited about this new show. I’ll watch anything Routh is in, he’s a very versatile actor. And HOT!

20. R.T. says:

Wow, sure are a lot of bitter people in this comments section. I don’t care about Brandon Routh’s sexual orientation. I’m just looking forward to having him on this show and playing an interesting sounding role. Also reprising his role as a vegan.
    Also so glad to have Brandon Urie back on my television set. He’s fantastic. This show looks a hell of a lot better than Ryan Murphy’s piss-poor generic NBC pilot, “Modern Family 2″.

21. Ash says:

you know I don’t care what anyone else says I love Brandon Routh! Agent Shaw in Chuck was one of my favorite villians. Also Michael Urie is amazing mark from ugly betty was just perfect for him

22. Tiki says:

If this show gets established, I hope Routh abandons the sham and just comes out like Neil Patrick Harris. Urie is out too and his career seems to be progressing fine, better than Routh’s at this point, to be honest. Routh may be a weak actor, but if he comes out, I’ll be rooting for him to succeed. These days, I think he could actually get more fans by coming out than staying in the closet. If an actor isn’t trying to be a movie leading man, action star or romance, then there is no point in staying in the closet in 2012, imo.

23. David says:

This makes the third sitcom with that title. I want “The Partners” with Don Adams and Rupert Crosse to be released on DVD, but this new “Partners” will just complicate it.

24. Mandy says:

I am seriously just glad to see Michael Urie back on my screen, but it is good to see that the gay character won’t just be the perpetually single guy, like Will (from Will & Grace) was.
    Also, hot couple alert!

25. Diana says:

1. Brandon is horrible! Michael is cute.
    2. Urie is better actor than Routh.
    Routh sorry but so does the TV.
    Good person, good actor.