America's Next Top Model Renewed -- and It's Headed to [SPOILER]!

tyra banks antmGood news for fans of Tyra’s Next Top Crop of Pretty, Emotionally Fragile Playthings America’s Next Top Model. The CW has renewed the Tyra Banks-fronted reality competition for a 19th season, but with a twist: The show’s next cycle, which will air in fall 2012, will be its inaugural “college edition,” which means that casting will take place on campuses across the country, according to a CW rep.

We’re not 100-percent sure right now what else the college theme will entail, but we’ve got a few guesses:
• Tyra Mail will no longer be written in crayon.
• Miss Jay’s runway lessons won’t literally have to begin with the instructions “place one foot in front of the other.”
• Tyra’s use of French “words” and “accents” will increase tenfold.
• Tyra and her fellow judges will remind us at least four times per episode that it takes brains and beauty to succeed in modeling.
• Shelves of the Top Model house will contain books as well as shiny objects.

Are you smizing over the news that Top Model will continue to bring its patented brand of fierceness to The CW schedule? What do you think of the college theme? Sound off below!

1. Anon says:

I don’t watch ANTM, but it honestly seems like a respectable reality show for the CW, and it’s the only reality show the CW needs rather than picking up new ones (ex: H8R, Remodeled, etc).
    Now I hope the CW gives early renewal to The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, and Supernatural soon!!

2. tvaddict says:

I used to watch this show but I stopped after like the 10th “cycle”. I know it still gets good ratings but I wish the CW would quit beating this dead horse.

• Nameless Idol Watcher says:

“Cycle?” So it has 2 seasons a year, like Dancing with the Stars and Survivor? I don’t like shows that do that. It exhausts the series so much faster. I got scared a first when I saw the number 19, but if it has 2 seasons each year, it makes sense. I hope American Idol isn’t around for 19 seasons; I’m addicted to it and can’t get off until it’s canceled. (No, I can’t “just stop watching.”)

• jenna says:

Agreed! I usually stop watching shows when they start doing 2 a year, its happened with ANTM, SYTYCD and Amazing Race. I’ve only recently started watching Top Chef again but with the original Top Chef, Top Chef Masters and Top Chef Just Desserts its kind of ridiculous!

• jennrae says:

Ugh, I loathe when they refer to the season as “cycles.” I know Tyra started calling it that to make it different, but all it makes me think of are menstrual cycles. What adult even takes her seriously (millions of dollars be damned)?
      The contestants are usually dumber than a sack of hair, and casting at colleges sounds to me like it’s just encouraging girls to drop out–unless they’re shooting the show during the summer, but then what about promotion? Either way, the message is a college education is great and all, unless you’re offered a modeling contract and then who needs a degree?
      Not that the show had much credibility or integrity to begin with, but the scandal with re-shooting the finale last “cycle” and crowning a new winner may have turned me off the show for good. I couldn’t even watch the episode once I heard what happened. For one thing, Allison should have won. But it wasn’t fair to anyone to DQ Angelea and give it to Lisa, who was then forced to be excited even though she knew it was by default. However, I guess working at a bank and going to Miss Peggy Olsen’s Secretarial College didn’t make Angelea as smart as she thought she was.

3. jamie says:

Weird they’ve renewed it for once cycle and not two.
    I’m confused as to why they didn’t announce all of their early renewals at the same time :/

4. Rolfe says:

I haven’t watched since Cycle Seven. I’m glad that The CW still has a “hit” with it, but I think it is time for them to find another reality flagship.

• Anon says:

Or perhaps none at all. The CW has tried so many new reality shows, and none of them has ever worked out for them other than ANTM which originally aired on UPN. After ANTM finally ends, the CW needs to focus on dramas and comedies for their line up and drop reality shows altogether.
      This is just my opinion anyway.

5. Jamie says:

Thanks Matt!

6. Robin says:

Will not watch again after All Stars debacle.

7. Reward says:

Again ANTM? Oh MY God! ._.’

8. Brandy says:

I think the college edition sounds great.

9. Jessica says:

I still want to know exactly why Angelea Preston was disqualified. I didn’t want her to win, but I want to know what happened. WHAT HAPPENED!?!?!?!?!?

• Eileen says:

I think she won and posted about it on facebook or something similar–which disqualified her. Not certain, but that’s what I heard.

10. Julie says:

Granted, I haven’t really watched more than an episode here and there of ANTM for several seasons now, but I just don’t understand how this is all that different from the other seasons. Maybe Miss Jay will don a graduation cap for his walking lessons, they’ll throw out a couple of college puns, there will be some kind of college-themed photoshoot, and Tyra will mention graduating from Harvard Business School. Mostly, however, this seems like kind of pointless gimmick to me. I guess I can’t really judge the concept too much though without knowing more about it.

11. Rax says:

hot models on TV doing what they do best! POSE :P
    I would Say Amen to another cycle!

12. Mikael says:

I love ANTM, but after they shafted Allison FOR THE SECOND TIME, my faith is gone.