Parenthood Post Mortem: Find Out What the Finale Has In Store After 2 Major Game Changers!

[Warning: If you have yet to watch Tuesday's Parenthood, avert your eyes now! And we repeat, if you have yet to watch Tuesday's Parenthood, avert your eyes now! Everyone else, read on...]

Tuesday’s episode of Parenthood gave us the moment we’ve been not-so-quietly dreading for months: Upon giving birth to a baby boy, Zoe opted to keep her child instead of giving it to Joel and Julia to adopt.

“My first reaction [upon learning the resolution to the adoption storyline] was that it’s brutal and so heartbreaking,” Erika Christensen (Julia) tells TVLine. “The way that it goes down — it seems impossible and then it just happens.” The actress adds that while Joel and Julia “can’t hold it against Zoe because it is her child,” it’s not something they’ll easily forgive.

Christensen says that, obviously, the bond the couple shares with Zoe — baby aside — will be, for the foreseeable future, irreparable. “Zoe changing her mind about the adoption is something, long-term, that you could possibly get over, kind of like a breakup,” she muses. “But at this point, Julia feels very betrayed [because] she knew this was going to happen and gave Zoe every opportunity to back out.”

But the Braverman clan’s most determined duo won’t be down (or out) for long. Teases Christensen’s leading man, Sam Jaeger, “Thankfully, the end of the season… is somewhat distracting for Joel and Julia, who just immediately start on a different path. They’re open to anything at this point.”

“Our story is sort of wrapped up tonight, and then [next week's] finale just goes — boom! — into the next season for us,” Christensen adds. “It’s pretty broad and open where Joel and Julia go from here, but we’re definitely moving forward.”

As one couple coped with crushing disappointment, another celebrated long overdue bliss. After years of dancing around their soulmate status, Crosby and Jasmine (once again) decided to make it official and became engaged while on Jabbar’s school camping excursion. “The trip symbolized a crossroads for Jasmine, where she could either go down this road with Dr. Joe (D.B. Woodside) or that road with Crosby — and she decides to go with the one that is more exciting and unexpected,” Jasmine’s portrayer, Joy Bryant, tells us. “She just realizes that what [she and Crosby] have is greater than whatever happened between them in the past.”

And this time around, they’re foregoing a lengthy engagement and proceeding directly to the wedding.

“They’ve already planned a wedding once, so they just decide to get married [in the finale] and have a party,” shares Dax Shepard (Crosby). “But of course, the rest of the family wants more than that.”

Enter an exquisitely-decorated Braverman backyard and a Joel Graham-whittled alter, and — voilà! — you’ve got yourself a ceremony!

“Expect a lot of dancing at the reception,” Shepard tells us. “Our director let us pick out songs so we were comfortable dancing… For the slow dance, I picked out John Legend’s ‘Again.’ It’s a good one, but also it’s about a couple that keeps breaking up and getting back together… See what I did there? And also ‘Teenage Dream’ by Katy Perry, which was a mutual pick among the cast for our fast dance.”

Gushes Bryant, “For something that is planned in 72 hours, it goes off without a hitch. It’s beautiful and its fun… Crosby and Jasmine finally did it!”

Now, about those other significant others… Reveals Bryant, “Dr. Joe takes [the news of the engagement] very well and is really understanding — what a cool dude!” And what of Crosby’s lady friend, Lily (Courtney Ford)? “Yeah, I haven’t shot those scenes yet, but I’m not looking forward to it,” Shepard tells us with a laugh, noting that he’d read the script and her dialogue conveys a less-than-civil reaction.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Rio says:

I hope Julia and Joel adopted a baby. That will get her mind off the Zoe thing. If Amy gets pregnant with Drew I think Sarah will get super mad and tell Drew to break up with Amy.

2. Mandy says:

Such amazing acting came out of the not-adoption storyline. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense that Joel and Julia would be mad. Its almost like Zoe knew she was backing out, but needed their emotional and financial support and let them think she was going to give them her baby in the end. So harsh, so heartbreaking, but a true to life storyline.

3. Lisa says:

If Zoe signed papers, doesn’t she automatically have to give her baby to them, afterall it was a legal document!

4. Patrice says:

I can’t STAND Jasmine, and wanted her killed off. I’m not crazy about her little bratty son either (he was a brat to Max). Also, I wouldn’t mind Alex back…but Haddie annoys me so much! Scenes with Alex would mean scenes with her…annoying. And, I had a feeling, when Sarah was cuddling w/her daughter Amber, that she was thinking her kids still need her and, therefore, would not leave for NY. I think, however, that she SHOULD go to NY with Marc and pursue something for herself…a playwriting career and a relationship. I love Marc! I myself would never date a guy that much younger. But, if she’s comfortable with it, I think he can really open her up and encourage her to write, travel, and experience LIFE as a woman, not just as a mom.

5. Mark says:

What happens with the million dollar plus offer. Is Crosby nuts? You take the money and start again with greater gusto…or insure the building for several million because you know it’s gonna burn to the ground.

6. Elizabeth says:

I’m so happy for Crosby and Jasmine because they have each grown so much this season, and I think that is how it often happens in life. One of Braverman Clan’s issues with Crosby is that he has often been immature, but like a great family, they always had faith he would grow-up. I think this season shows that sometimes it takes you hitting rock bottom to recognize what is important to you; I think that happened for Crosby and Jasmine. As sad as the Zoe storyline is concerned, that is also how things happen for young girls in her situation. She saw this family how could give her child a life she may never be able to, but in the end, she bonded with the child as most mothers do. As much as I like this show though, I don’t think the producers always deal with hard issues the way they should, they often go right to the edge, then seem to take the easy way out. Maybe that is why they don’t get the accolades.

7. ashley says:

What happened with the adoption I missed the whole episode :( was something wrong with the baby or did she just change her mind??

8. JOANN says:

Love this show–so true to life usually-but not really necessary to introduce teenage sex at such an early age with all the clothes dropping scenes –we all know this happens BUT that is part of what is wrong in our society. We should have some self control and be responsible for our actions. These kids are not going to be responsible for the results of their sexual activity.

9. maria says:

Okay, confused here.. why did Julia give Zoe a watch?? I just didn’t understand that part..