Glee Post Mortem: Max Adler on Life After [Spoiler] and a Possible Kurt/Karofsky Romance

Glee Max AdlerIf you have yet to watch Tuesday’s episode of Glee, hit the nearest exit at once. Everyone else, continue reading…

Glee officially turned the tables on Kurt’s ex-tormentor Karofsky this week when the bully became the victim — a reversal that had near-fatal consequences when Max Adler‘s closeted alter ego tried (and failed) to commit suicide. In the following Q&A, Adler reflects on the powerful storyline, weighs in on a possible Karofsky-Kurt romance, and answers the question on the minds of his insanely passionate fans: Will he be sticking around Glee long-term?

TVLINE | What was your reaction when you found out you would be involved in such an intense storyline?
I was thrilled to be coming back. I found out in early January that I would be returning for these episodes, but I didn’t know the story at the time; I didn’t know where they were going to take Karofsky, but I’m thrilled they went there. I really think it’s incredibly brave and honest and it’s treating the character with the integrity that he deserves. For me as an actor, I’ve always been fascinated with the human struggle… I think you can’t truly appreciate [all the fun parts of high school] without experiencing the other side, which is the fear, the anxiety, and the struggle that teenagers go through identifying themselves.

TVLINE | That was a wonderful life Kurt envisioned for Karofsky.
That’s basically what gives Karofsky hope that there will be someone that will love him for who he is and he won’t have to keep this mask on and continually hide himself from the world. And that, to me, is the message that I would love for people to take away; you can be yourself. Although society might try to suppress who you are, there are people out there who will love you for who you are. And I think that is the message of hope.

TVLINE | Do you think part of Karofsky dreams of a future with Kurt?
No. I never thought Karofsky lusted after Kurt. I never saw it as sexual; I always saw it as a yearning for a genuine human connection. Karofsky’s whole life has kind of been playing this role and being what everyone wants him to be and tells him to be. But [then] he sees Kurt as a beacon of hope — somebody that can truly be who they are, say what they want to say, feel what they want to feel, and not really care what society has to say about it. And I think that’s such an admirable trait. Karofsky finds that so incredible and has such respect for Kurt. I think that’s what it’s been; I don’t think he imagines this life-long love with Kurt. I think there is a true friendship there. Kurt really is the guy that helps Karofsky see the light and brings him out of his darkness.

Glee Summer Tour Cancelled… But There’s a Twist

TVLINE | There are some fans who prefer Kurt with Karofsky instead of Blaine. Is it your understanding that that isn’t going to happen?
That is my understanding. I think there’s been too much history between the two of them to just completely forget about that and start a full-fledged romance. I think at this point, Karofsky is still dealing with his own struggles and his own identity and is not really stable or healthy enough to jump into a real relationship. I think at this point, Kurt is just an incredible friend, and in a way, a mentor for Karofsky. And I think at this point in their lives, Kurt is just an incredible friend that Karofsky truly needs. And my analogy in reading the script is picturing Karofsky hanging off a cliff by a really thin rope, and Kurt is the only one that is hanging onto him to bring him out from the depths of that.

TVLINE | How big a role will you be playing on the show moving forward?
I won’t be in the next episode after that, but as for the future? There’s [nothing certain]. I would love to portray this character the rest of my life. It’s an incredible experience and I’ve learned so much. It’s just been a complete dream to have this opportunity. But as far as actually knowing what’s happening down the road? I don’t know; we’ll just have to see what happens.

TVLINE | So this week’s episode could potentially be your swan song?
It could end here. But my personal thought is that there might be something else down the line to show where Karofsky goes post-hospital. But that’s all up to the writers. They’ve done everything amazingly well and treated this character with incredible consistency and honesty and integrity. Whatever they do, I think it will be genius.

TVLINE | It’s insane how passionate your fans are. A day doesn’t go by where I don’t receive at least a dozen emails from them asking when you’re returning to Glee.
They’re amazing. That’s what is so gratifying and rewarding about this; this character is so real — the way he is written and the way I get to play him and experience him and talk about him. I think the fans have a connection to him… What I’m so happy about with this episode is that it gives that really amazing, powerful message to victims of bullying and to people who are or have contemplated suicide that there is hope; there are people who accept you for who you are, and you don’t have to change yourself for what society tells you to be. It also shows the bullying aspect, and what your words on Facebook or Twitter can really do. You almost get desensitized because you type a few words and hit send and then you go on with your day. It’s just so powerful how human beings can affect each other. I think that’s the message: if people are in need of help or crying out, we need to be there for one another and stick up for one another. I think [it would have been different] if one guy in the locker room would have defended me. People are afraid to speak their minds or speak up because they want to fit in. I think that’s [another] message: we can all be ourselves and we can all open our minds a little bit and have some perspective, and we can treat each other with the respect that we deserve.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Scoop

1. Matthew says:

Thank god he says there’s no Kurt/Karofsky romance on the cards. DNW.

• Mo says:

That’s the only thing you took out of this whole article? Disgusting. Not everything is about ships.

• Matthew says:

The reason I commented on the ship part of it is because that would be the most problematic way this storyline could go, imo. And it’s a relief to hear that it won’t happen.

• Ken says:

That’s all i read out of this as well …NO Kurtofski. YES.

• Taylor says:

There’s nothing disgusting about talking about the various potential pairings. A significant portion of this interview was devoted to just that. And just because someone comments on that part of the interview certainly doesn’t mean that’s the ‘only thing’ they took away from the episode.

• Milly says:

Mo, I see you forgot to read this part: “It also shows the bullying aspect, and what your words on Facebook or Twitter can really do. You almost get desensitized because you type a few words and hit send and then you go on with your day. It’s just so powerful how human beings can affect each other.”

• 323 says:

Yes, so glad he said this.

• Jenny says:

Yeah, I like Kurt as a friend/mentor role for Dave but nothing more. I agree that there is too much history and I don’t like the idea at all. He caused Kurt way too much pain to make me believe he could love Dave.

• Martoukian says:

It’s difficult to imagine one, let alone two, characters having a crush on an annoying character like Kurt.

• Audrey says:

You people make me sick. Stop bringing your damn pairing into everything. This episode is bigger than Klaine, bigger than all of you. So just shut up and quit bitching.

• Jon says:

hey Audrey, this episode is bigger than you too. So stop bitching about everyone else’s bitching…mkay?

• RK says:

Audry – I feel your frustration but unfortunately there are people who still don’t get it. The episode was NOT about romance and which pretty thing should be with another pretty thing. This episode was a message about the effects of bullying and the tragic wave of teen suicides. Based on some of the comments here some people will never get it. The Karofsky story is one of the best Glee has ever presented – making us understand that the bully can be troubled and insecure, the emotional turmoil of coming out and how haters can push someone to hurt themselves. When I read comments pages filled with hateful comments and attacks it saddens me because some people just don’t want to get it, they want to continue hating, they enjoy the anonymity the internet gives them to let their hater flag fly and they don’t care who they are hurting. I hope TVLine and other websites with open comments sections decide to start monitoring for bullying and haters. Blocking a comment with a curse word? The problem is way bigger.

• Spencer says:

Why do they need to monitor it? Shouldn’t people be able to control themselves in the first place? (not bashing you, just piggy-backing your comment.) the only reason I would Kurtofsky to happen is because I hate Blaine with every bone in my body, and the actor that portrays him, and if Klaine ended I would be seeing much less Blaine. Yay. That’s just my OPINION, for everyone who will probably troll this comment.

• Gene says:

Beautifuly said RK

• Why says:

Klaine is the most boring thing to ever be put on television and I feel like it, and Blaine’s constant attention, are ruining this show and the immature and obnoxious fans ruin fandom. UGH.

• Milly says:

I see you forgot to read this part “It also shows the bullying aspect, and what your words on Facebook or Twitter can really do. You almost get desensitized because you type a few words and hit send and then you go on with your day. It’s just so powerful how human beings can affect each other.”

• Susan says:

Last night episode of Glee wasn’t about if Kurt and Karosky will get together it was friendship and having someone to talk to. I wish the media would concentrate on that. Karosky needed someone he felt all alone. Kurt and blaine has a very strong connection that can’t be broken just because Karosky sent him a few cards on Valentine Day means he going to run off with him.

• Lyle Anderson says:

And why is that? Is Karofsky not pretty enough for you? I bet you’d be saying differently if he was some jock type character. Ugh, give me a break.

• Michael says:

I don’t think that this has anything to do with looks. But, maybe they should have Kurt date Karofsky. Then, they can have Mercedes date an ex-KKK member. Oh, an Rachel’s Jewish dad can dump his husband and date an ex-Nazi.
        It is profoundly disturbing to root for the coupling of a gay man and his ex tormentor, no matter how repentant the tormentor is. The damage has been done. Kurt can forgive Karofsky but he’ll never forget what he did to him.

• Gleekaholic says:

Agreed with everything you said. Plus, a Kurtofsky romance would only send the message to viewers, “See, the way to get someone to be your boyfriend is to bully him, threaten his life, assault him, stalk him, and keep pestering him even though he’s already in a healthy relationship with someone. Keep doing all that, and soon he’ll drop his gorgeous ex-Warbler boyfriend to be with you.”
          I do like that the show is going for Kurtofsky friendship and forgiveness. However, forgiveness =/= dating someone.

• Gleekaholic says:

Oh, and I think Max Adler is very handsome. Just saying.

2. lorena says:

I love how well spoken Max is about his character. I completely agree with this thoughts on Dave liking Kurt and how them becoming a couple would be too much. They have a lot of history that isn’t easy to forget, even if forgiveness is been given.
    Kurtofsky friendship would be epic though.

3. laura says:

I for one would love a Dave/Kurt romance, but not right now because I completely get what Max is saying about where Dave is in this moment.

4. none says:

When will Plain Blanderson?

• freida says:

Never lol. since Darren Criss is a crappy actor compared to Max.

• none says:

Preach. I could not deal with his demonic “emotive” singing faces and limp-wristedness during cough syrup either.

• gin says:

……. limp-wristedness? You said THAT on the comments to an article that was brought into existence because of a fictional gay suicide attempt? Classy.

• none says:

It’s not about him being gay. It’s me being irritated with the way he moves his hands, not to mention his over gelled hair, bowties and how he talks without enunciating.

• Ken says:

Darren Criss is the best thing in Glee. He has the best voice and he is an excellent actor. Writers isn’t giving him much chances to show it. These rare moments he has a scene to show it are the best. And he (and Klaine) is the only reason i even watch the whole show.

• wrrr says:

This so much.

• Meg says:

…is this a joke? All of his acting is stilted AT BEST. He can’t even control his singing faces, which made the “Cough Syrup” scenes inappropriate. He’s close to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to “Glee” actors, and the standard there is pretty low to begin with.

• none says:

mte he’s dead behind the eyes unless he’s grinning like a lunatic for no reason.

• none says:

Kay, giving him the benefit of the doubt; he seemed a lot more controlled last year, if I remember. He had a better energy, and seemed to know who his character was. This year he’s just half-heartedly floundering everywhere.
            I wonder if he’s just not that into it as before, or was blindsighted by the de-aging and the baseless school transfer. Also all he does is sing songs with no context or personal emotion. That must get tiresome. They should definitely work on that.

• none says:

(diplomacy is about to go out the window)
            but omg I have to mention Darren’s mouth/lips! they never move!
            Why is his mouth/jaw always so lax when he delivers lines? even when he talks the bottom half of his face moves so very little and yet the top half moves far too much. namely his eyebrows.
            jnkml;
            But when he sings, his whole face goes suddenly manically out of control???
            omg someone explain this phenomenon to me.
            he hand-talks waay too much. Everything he says is matter-of-fact with no nuance. He portrays anger in one specific way all the time.
            And most of the time I can’t even tell what Blaine is thinking because I can’t read eye-brow sign language, okay.
            /rant

• none says:

Also hiz hair iz drownnned in gel.

• Ellie says:

I completely disagree. tired of ppl hating on blaine, so I MUST say this…
            blaine clearly had a lot of crap happen to him at his school before dalton (as it is both a sensitive topic for him and he had to go as far as starting a fight club because of all the bullying) so although he is proud to be who he is, blaine still tries to act very reserved and proper/dapper because he doesn’t want to draw too much attention to himself.
            The things that seem to get the most rise/emotion/passion out of him are:
            1. Bullying (when karofsky bullies kurt, when kurt gets upset at him for questioning his sexuality, when finn was being passive aggressive to him, etc)
            2. Kurt (when they hang with mercedes b4 they got together, when he was “mentoring” him, when he talks to burt about kurt before they get together, when they r playful with each other, when they fight, etc)
            3. music (he acts so restrained all the time because of his past-even his dad is weird around him- so performing is the only time that he really loses himself. it’s y he looks so intense when he’s performing-cuz all his pent up passion is finally being freed and he no longer cares about looking wild on stage. he really looks like he is having the time of his life up there, and he probably is.)
            I got ALL that just from darren criss’s portrayal of this deep character. I find it all very inspirational and moving. (plus am I the only person who just LOVES the gelled hair and bow ties?)
            just had to put all this out there…

• Martoukian says:

The acting is silly and the character is a tad annoying, but he’s a terrific singer.

• ilaria says:

exactly and all this hate in these comments make me sick-especially because Darren is an amazing actor and doesn’t deserve hate at all
          But well this fandom is going crazy

• Nick says:

It’s practically ~the blaine show~ now, what the hell are you watching? And I agree with the OP, I find Blaine obnoxious and ridiculous looking. He is so stereotypical. We don’t need even more characters perpetuating that. We need characters like Dave who are realistic and something we’ve never really seen before.
          And Klaine needs to break up. No one dates their first love in high school and stays with them forever and ever, not on this show. They need to break up just like everyone else. Might even make Klaine interesting, for once!

• Allie says:

Darren Criss is definitely not a crappy actor. He does his best to give his character and his relationship with Kurt depth and meaning even when the writer’s don’t give him many lines, and I definitely think he succeeds. If you’re not happy with Blaine’s storyline, it’s the writers you have to thank for that, not Darren. And obviously Blaine had to transfer to McKinley if they wanted him to be a series regular…they can’t keep switching to Dalton and then back to McKinley. I think Darren has taken all the information they gave him about Blaine, including the small backstory they’ve given him, to create one of the most amazing characters on TV today. He’s never forgotten his past at Dalton, or his past when he was bullied. He brings all that into his character now and it’s just so amazing how real he is. He does a very accurate portrayal of how someone who has been through what Blaine has would react and how he would be at his age. All the awards to Darren!

• Spencer says:

About your comment that it’s not Darren’s fault and just the writing, the writing part may be true, but he is still an ATROCIOUS actor. His singing faces are disturbing, along with his stupid hair and ugly bowties. And for everyone saying he is a ‘great singer’, I heard him Live and he was aweful. He is also a rude, conceited person always making things about him and his ‘amazing’ talents. Sorry for my rant, I am just sick of him….

• Tara says:

I think that Darren is an okay actor, but a much better singer. Lea annoys the crap out of me. Her idea of emoting is closing her eyes tightly. I think that it must be a Broadway thing – anyone who has been on Broadway has an overwhelming desire to over-emote and over-act in everything else.

• Terry says:

Tara..on stage you have to over act, you dont have a camera right there to show your emotion so it must be expressed with exagerrated movements and motions.

• none says:

I also get the vibe that DC is horribly concieted and self-involved, and that he thinks very highly of himself. ugh. I’m also pretty sure the rest of the cast really despises him, and that Colfer seems to regard him as a freaking pain in the ass to act with.

5. Joe says:

I would watch a show entirely about Dave. Total dreamboat.

• Drew says:

Thank God I’m not the only one. I don’t follow Glee fandom, so I was worried that no one else saw it. But, c’mon, the guy’s built like a linebacker, has the sweetest face (when he’s not scowling) and he’s COMPLEX. Hits every nail for me.

6. Zoey says:

I get what Max is saying about Dave being a little messed up right now. He needs to become more comfortable with himself and his sexuality before he can have a relationship with anybody. I’m all for a Kurt/Dave romance, but I think the writers should proceed carefully with it If they decide to write it into the show.

7. Stephanie says:

Lovely interview. I hope we get to see more of Max/Dave in the future. Seriously, glee writers! Give this guy a more concrete role! Please!!

8. K says:

I’d really like to see more scenes between Karofsky and Sebastian. Such an interesting dynamic between those two.

• Martha says:

‘Interesting’ Dynamic? It was a 10 second scene where Dave asked Sebastian how to get a guy (Most likely about Kurt) and Sebastian insulted him. I hope their interactions are kept to a minimum. It would feel like a cop out if they were paired together just so they could have love interests and not interfere with Klaine.

• K says:

I was talking about the bigger picture. The current bully with the former bully. One vulnerable; one made vulnerable by the other. And I don’t think Dave asking Sebastian “how to get a guy” had anything to do with Kurt. I think he was trying to put himself out there and got rejected. Now, I’d like to see more scenes where Sebastian continues to be remorseful and do things to support Dave (such as he did when raising money in David’s name). Dave is going to need strong support, and Sebastian has a fierce personality. That’s what I meant by interesting dynamic.

• Van says:

Agreed.
      How many gay guys are just like that. Dismissive, treating everything like just a game.
      Sebastian was iredeemable for me, but after that scene. Everyone can change, and I am glad that Sebastian figured it out.

• Audrey says:

I actually agree. I think they could have a really interesting friendship, possibly even romance. It’s a total role reversal for Dave. Sebastian is everything Dave isn’t now- a bully, confident, brave, outspoken. Dave could benefit so much from his support, and Sebastian could really benefit from helping him out. I think it would soften him a little. It would really be a very sweet plot line.

• Leila says:

I definitely agree. The contrast in their personalities is amazing. Sebastian could show Karofsky what it’s like to be confident about who you are. Karofsky would help soften Sebastian and bring out his more compassionate side. I definitely hope that they’re friends, maybe even something more. Karofsky deserves to find someone. Kurt is definitely not right for him in the romantic sense, so I think Sebastian could be really good for him.

• Gleekaholic says:

I don’t think a Dave/Sebastian romance would be healthy as they both have violent tendencies, and if they had a lover’s quarrel, one or both of them could wind up in the ER.

9. Krista says:

Max is such an amazing person, and actor. The way he feels for his character, and all the kids out there just like him, is amazing. You hear people talk about connecting with their characters all the time. But I never believed them, until Max came along.

10. TaMara says:

I didn’t think it was possible to love Max Adler more. Great interview. I can’t wait to see his career soar.

11. M says:

Well, if Max isn’t going to come back on Glee, then I’m done with the show. He was the only compelling character left for me and I always looked forward to any episode with him. His scenes with Chris were some of the most emotional scenes in the series and they had such great chemistry together (more so than between Chris and Darren). If that was his last episode, then so long! I’ll follow wherever Max’s career takes him next.

12. Elizabeth says:

I was crying throughout the entire “Cough Syrup” scene. I’ve had a bad feeling they would take it there and I’m so glad the writers were brave enough to take that turn but I’m EVSTATIC that Dave is still alive. His character is so refreshing and REAL and Max is brilliant at making him a genuine person.

13. The Raisin Girl says:

Really, commenters? That’s the aspect you zeroed in on? With all of the incredibly important messages he’s sending both through his character and in this interview, that’s the thing you took away from it? How short-sighted can you be?
    This episode of Glee was important. It wasn’t just fandom important, it was IMPORTANT. It was an honest depiction of what happens when a person is cut off from all their support and made to feel like the person they are is not good enough. It’s what results from the thoughtless, anonymous hate that people spew online. It’s a real struggle people deal with EVERY day, and the show managed to show that struggle with honesty, show the horrifying impact of it…but also send a message of real hope.
    But yes, please, let’s just focus on a will they/won’t they question that the show itself hasn’t even asked. JFC.

• Lessa says:

With this fandom I’m not surprised they only noticed and commented on that part. smh
      Anyway, Max’s performance was amazing (as always) and I wish him luck and success on whatever he’s working on next.

• Maggy says:

It’s really disgusting that that’s what people zeroed in on in this whole thing. DISGUSTING.

• yeah says:

Seriously? You’re mad because people are happy that there’s going to be no Kurtofsky? A lot of people find that relationship disgusting because of what Karofsky did to Kurt. It would be wrong. Excuse me for being happy that it’s not going to happen.

14. Rinzi says:

I’m thrilled that Kurt and Dave are friends now, and I hope we can see more of them in the future. Maybe someday a Kurtofsky romance would be nice, but I agree with Max that Dave just isn’t ready for romance right now.
    Max’s performance was amazing in this episode. When Dave asked Kurt if he could be a sports agent in his imagined future, I honestly believed for a moment that he was just a kid even though I know Max is in his twenties.

15. Lauren says:

Max Adler is amazing on Glee, his performance on Glee is one of the best things about it.

16. Matt says:

Can we talk about Quinn’s car accident?

17. zogs says:

Really hope we see more of him. His scenes by himself and with Chris were the best in the episode, and probably the best of the season. I personally don’t want to see a romance between the two, but I think a friend/mentorish relationship would go a long way to healing Karofsky.

18. Nina says:

Ausiello had a crush on his former bully, or? O.o
    Bravo for Max’s performances! My uncle tried to commit suicide because of disability so this storyline shook me hard because yes it could happen to anyone and for any reason, even when your family is fully supportive sometimes you just ended in that dark road.

19. josh says:

HEY CHILDREN YOU ARE BEEN BULLIED AT SCHOOL
    DON’T WORRY CAUSE YOUR BULLY ACTUALLY LOVE YOU AND IT COULD BECOME A EPIC STORYLINE

20. Eric says:

I for one would be happy to take on the role as Dave’s partner with that son of his. I love how max speaks about this character and totally hope for a strong Kurt/Karofsky friendship the rest of the season.

21. Amy says:

Oh, man, I sincerely hope Karofsky’s story doesn’t end here. I agree with Max Adler’s take on the character — the writers have written him so well and so consistently and have developed him realistically in a way that people just really connect with. It would be a shame to just let that go now when there’s so much more that could be done with his character.
    I’d like to see more scenes of him with his Dad (and can I just say here that even though it was very brief, I think Daniel Roebuck’s performance absolutely shattered everyone’s heart); I’d like to see Dave interact with his non-accepting mother (did NOT see that one coming); I’d like to see a reconciliation with Azimio (I’m assuming that he was the mentioned best friend who never wants to talk to Dave again?) I always liked James Earl’s Azimio and I’d love to see him come around and be Dave’s friend again.
    And of course, mostly, I want more great scenes with Max Adler and Chris Colfer. They just really play off each other so well – their scenes together are always riveting.
    Anyway… Wonderful interview, wonderful episode, wonderful acting!

• Alana says:

I’m so with you re Dave’s Dad – I would love to see more scenes between them. That scene in On My Way just tore my heart out, it was so raw.
      Max’s portrayal of Dave is just astounding and, all ships aside, the chemistry between Max and Chris has been pure gold since day 1, so I hope Dave becomes a fixture on the show and we see an epic friendship between the two.
      And Azimio! I have always felt like he wasn’t coming from a true place of hate, just being a really stupid kid who didn’t get it and was joining in with his friends (it makes me think of Papa Bear Hummel and his description of how he was in high school in Theatricality to Finn). I like James Earl and think he could bring life and understanding to that plot line.

22. what says:

I’m not understanding why people want Kurt with someone who threatened to kill him and mad his life hell. Bottom line, a person does NOT do that. They can be friends and Kurt can help Dave, but anything more than that is ridiculous.

23. Rachel says:

Dave is a great character. I am so ashamed that people keep thinking about Klaine. Glee fandom, your priorities SUCK. This isn’t about shipping, it’s about a character. Keep Klaine out of this. They’re fine for right now, so enjoy it while it lasts.
    I hate the fandom for that reason. It all goes back to petty shipping.
    Ugh.

• Lessa says:

I agree with all of this so much. People don’t seem to grasp that.

• Kiterie says:

I agree 100%. The character is wonderful.

• yeah says:

Yeah, Karofsky is an awesome character. But excuse us for wanting happiness for Kurt? Klaine is not just staying together “well it lasts”, they love each other and help each other so much. Everyone needs that in their lives.

• Nick says:

The fact that you’re implying Kurt could only be really be happy with Blaine shows everything that is wrong with the Klaine fandom. You don’t care about Kurt or Blaine. You care about your dull, stereotypical, obnoxious ship.

• k says:

‘I hate the fandom for that reason. It all goes back to petty shipping.’
      Preach. I’m a hard Klaine shipper but it’s angering me so much that Klaine and Blaine are getting dragged into Karofsky’s personal struggles. It was never about ships, never about Karofsky or Blaine being better than one another or anything… I’ve never hated the fandom as much as I have today.

24. Kiterie says:

It’s really pathetic how people are turning this into some kind of pairing war. That’s just so stupid. Frankly I love all the actors and all the pairing possibilities for different reasons and I, for one, will be happy no matter where the writers take the friendships and romances between the characters. Those who are fighting about pairings clearly missed something important in the episode. That hate is not healthy and we shouldn’t tear each other down like that.
    Max Adler is an extremely thoughtful actor and I would love to see him more (not just in Glee either). My favorite part of this episode was oddly enough that his attempted suicide brought about a real change in Sebastian. Sebastian was an ass and so far he’s been a bit of a flat character – interesting but fairly flat. The fact that Dave brings out this good side of him made me happy. Not per se in a pairing fashion although like I said before I love all of the possibilities including that one. I’d like to see Dave have a relationship and I agree with Max that currently because of everything that wouldn’t work with Kurt (maybe in the future, but not any time soon for sure). It would be nice to see Dave get a romantic interest though.
    Also the writers have done an incredible job of developing the characters on this show and I think the gay characters have a nice range in personality, background, and looks. I like that. It makes everything feel more realistic.
    Kurt is sweet, little bit of a queen, and a bit more traditionally what people think of as gay but with his own flare. He’s got a strength to him that the others don’t that makes him beautiful. Personally I think Chris Colfer does a spectacular job with making the character compelling.
    Blaine is normal. I know people think he’s boring but he’s not. He’s normal and I like that. He’s androgynous in a lot of ways, he’s more of a guy than Kurt, but he still gets a lot of the things that are part of the culture. He doesn’t have a super dramatic background and I think that’s nice because I think we need to have characters who are normal because it’s like saying – THIS can be normal and accepted and okay and not something that’s unusual or different. It can just be and it should be able to just be. I like that Blaine is gay and frankly fine with being gay. He accepts that he’s gay, he doesn’t make a big deal of it, and neither do the other warblers… this is where I hope some day things are for everyone. It’s nice to be reminded of what could be and what should be. Daren Criss… I admire him a lot because he’s not gay and plays a gay character and I think that’s reflected in his character – like I mentioned the idea that it is perfectly fine to be gay. That is a wonderful statement that should never be underestimated.
    Dave embodies change in EVERYTHING that is his character and I love that. I love that he shows us we can grow up and learn from our mistakes and just maybe learn to love ourselves and each other a little more. He evokes change in other characters. Obviously as I said before Sebastian in this episode gets some sense knocked into him because of Dave. Kurt we’ve seen it from the beginning even when he was a bully he pushed Kurt’s character. He made Kurt stronger. Every single character this episode grew a little because they saw what they did and while they may have been slightly entitled to like Dave that didn’t mean they should have treated him that way. Yes when we were first introduced to the character he was a JERK, but the adults… should have at least realized that he was also a teenage boy and that there was bigger issues going on. They all chalked him up to being a bully, but nobody is one dimensional. Not really and characters shouldn’t be either. They should reflect who we are and we should be able to change if we want to. We should have hope that people CAN change and Dave does so we should recognize and respect that.
    Sebastian… the character is a complete PRICK. Seriously I want to punch him in his face half the time BUT at the same time I have to wonder if some of that anger isn’t hurt because he was rejected by Blaine and he’s jealous of Kurt. I think he’s used to getting his way and I like that he doesn’t get his way and has to learn to deal with that. There’s also the possibility of deeper issues just like there was with Dave and the fact that he changed this episode and we saw something more to him… I liked the promise in that. I like that he’s got serious levels confidence like Blaine but isn’t so sweet. I love his snarkiness too. He’s a smart guy – probably of all 4 of them he’s actually the brightest. It’s an interesting and still another take on how sexuality doesn’t make us fit into some stereotype.
    I love for all the characters to have happy endings because they’re all great. If Klaine works then I’d love to see DavexSebastian and if Kurtofsky was to happen then hell maybe Sebastian could have Blaine… as long it’s well written and well action I don’t think the writers can really go wrong and I think the people fighting over this need to chill out and learn to not be such jerks to each other. No pairing war has ever won fans from one side to other. Ever. So stop trying to bring each other down because ALL you all are doing. Appreciate the pairings and the possibilities and show a little respect to each other.

• Yin says:

Amen to this post

• 3424 says:

This is such a great post. It’s perfectly fine to like Blaine, Sebastian, Karofsky and Kurt at the same time. I don’t understand why people need to bash characters and actors just because of stupid ship wars.

• Craig says:

I agree with Kiterie 100% thanks for a great post! I really enjoyed the episode, I hope that Max wins an award for his performance, it was incredible.

• Alana says:

PREACH Kiterie!
      Thanks for articulating everything I wanted to say :)
      And Craig – from your keyboard to the judges ears… Max deserves so many awards and mad recognition for this incredible portrayal of such a heavy and terrifying situation. And the writers of course!!

25. Markella says:

I’ve read a few articles now and it seems like Max knows exactly what to say, to the point where I have my thoughts prepared beforehand but the damn guy goes and says them for me in the actual article! Basically, Max knows how his fans feel and he does an amazing job at expressing what his character means to people. The episode focused on teen suicide, bullying, and cyber-bullying, which is a problem for most Glee fans. His fans are cyber-bullied daily by other fans of the show so it’s amazing to see him talk about that topic and even more touching that the writers would incorporate that into an episode. I hope we can learn from it. As far as Kurt and Dave are concerned, I do hope they continue to be friends, long, long after they leave school, I’d like Kurt to be the guy in the dream sequence.

26. princesspoison23 says:

Okay, first of all, stop being jerks to each other. Did we not watch last night’s episode of Glee and see what cyberbullying could lead to? Second of all, I don’t think Kurt/Karofsky would be good together, not because of shipping or whatever, but because they just wouldn’t…fit. But I do love the idea of Kurt being Karofsky’s friend/mentor. And I agree with Audrey, Van, K, and anyone who thinks Karofsky/Sebastion would be good together. I’d love to see where they go in that storyline.
    I used to be seriously considering suicide, but then I saw Glee and realized how fantastic life was. Glee saved my life. <3
    And how could I die without seeing what happened next?

• Angela says:

I was just about to say the same thing. Seriously, people. Chill. Also, I’m glad to hear the show helped you out during a tough time.
      Nice to read the thoughts from Max on the storyline and his character. Sounds like he’s given a lot of serious thought to all of it, which I really appreciate and admire, and I love his general attitude about the show and what’s happening with him and the others on there. It all paid off-I really felt for him last night during the show. Be very curious to see what else is in store down the line.

• Gleekaholic says:

Wow! That’s wonderful that Glee had such a positive impact in your life! Tell THAT to the haters!!!!!

27. JasonB. says:

An incredibly moving episode on a show that often fails to hit those powerful notes. Max Adler made me break down and cry like a baby. Holy crap.
    I can’t imagine why anyone would walk away from those scenes concerned about childish ship wars. You’re all shameful.

28. Joan says:

Max Adler’s portrayal of Karofsky is truly amazing. He has given the character so much depth, more so than most of the regular characters. I cried through “Cough Syrup”. So glad that Karofsky didn’t die. I would love to see him on the show more often. Watching Karofsky’s evolution is one of the best storylines on the show.
    Kudos to the writers / producers / powers-that-be. Truly an epic storyline. I am sure that episode touched many lives last night. I hope it saved some too.

29. Jess says:

Regardless of how I feel about the whole Kurt-Karofsky-Blaine situation, and how I feel about the decline of glee as a whole, Max Adler is VERY well spoken and that’s something I really appreciate! Great interview! THANKS!

30. Silke says:

This was just the most powerfull and painfull episode ever on Glee. Amazing performance from max and Chris, both deserve an Award for it……just an amazing and strong message but if I look at the Internet this Day I see that still some people don’t get the message. It’s not about shippings its about a very very serious Topic and it needed to be told there!

31. Megan says:

I do like Kurtofsky and would like it to happen…someday. But that is so far in the future I don’t really think it’s worth mentioning. Dave and Kurt have so much pain that they need to work on, to heal. Friendship between them is as much as either of them need right now.
    Especially Dave, no romantic relationship right now could be healthy. Kurt is in love with Blaine besides. If Kurt and Blaine happen to break up in the future and Dave is emotionally stable then I don’t see why they wouldn’t give it a try. But this episode was beautiful and I am still emotionally wrecked from it.
    Chris Colfer and Max Adler are just brilliant and deserve all the rewards. I just think people should give the shipping a rest, b/c this was so beyond Klaine and Kurtofsky. In fact I liked that Blaine was the one to be singing as Dave’s scene unfolded.
    Anyhow it was a great episode. Let’s put shipping aside.

32. Arthur says:

“I think there’s been too much history between the two of them to just completely forget about that and start a full-fledged romance.”
    I’ve said that all along. Besides, Karofsky needs to deal with his own struggle before even thinking of embarking on ANY relationship.

33. Anna says:

Max is such an amazing actor. I hope Dave will be back at McKinley and into the Glee Club so that we can have him as a regular. I really want to see him on my screen every week. By now I’m just tuning in to Glee when I know he’s in an episode because he always shines and brings Chris Colfer with him. I’m tired of seeing Chris rest in Darren Criss’ shadow!!!
    As for tonight episode… still processing it because I really was a Karofsky myself so this storyline really touched me deeply… I still can’t properly watch the “Cough Syrup” scene without looking away and cry. My heart is still aching since then.
    But the Kurtofsky hospital scene was beautiful. Really beautiful.
    I’m all for a Kurtofsky romance in the future, blossoming from this friendship that I wish will be explored more and more. But I do agree it’s not the right time, now… and still I hope RIB+ will give it a chance by the end of the season, that can be the final for these characters.

RIB+, please set free Chris Colfer from Klaine that is bringing him where he is just a useless background and make him shine in a lot of scenes with Max! That’s all I need to tune in every week! (ç_ç) Also, Seblaine.

34. John Berggren says:

I would love to see Max back next year. The way I see it, he might not return to school this year. He could easily stay back a year and return to McKinley next year.
    I also wouldn’t mind seeing the character in a spinoff later in life.

• Melanie says:

I’d love to see Max back as Dave next year! He has a history with just about every character on the show. That brief glimpse of him and Sebastian at Scandals had me thinking how interesting it would be if he decided to take Dave under his wing. Dave *isn’t* ready for a romantic relationship just yet, but friendship? Gay solidarity? Yes please. (Especially with Kurt.)

35. E says:

I must know though…how exactly can you fail at hanging yourself? lol

• wow says:

It actually takes time to stop breathing if your neck doesn’t break. Which it wouldn’t in a closet. So if someone walks in and you’re not dead yet..you don’t die? How is this not obvious to you.

36. Alex says:

Well, I’m just glad Max realizes any kind of romance between Kurt and Karofsky right now would be a terrible idea. It’s not about ships or the fandom or whatever it is people are bitching about. It’s about the fact that at this moment that relationship would not be healthy AT ALL.
    I believe Karofsky needs to deal with his own demons, get himself in a good, stable place before being romantically involved with someone. And I also don’t think that person should be Kurt.
    I don’t know if any of you have ever been bullied, harassed and threatened by someone before but I speak from experience when I say that you don’t just forget things like that. You forgive them, absolutely, but I falling in love with them would be a messed up dynamic for both of them. And to be honest, a dynamic that I doubt Glee has the ability to deal with.

37. thefirstmrshummel says:

The heart and passion that Max puts into his acting is so incredible. I love hearing him talk about his craft. He and Chris Colfer have always been incredible together, because I think they share that and it’s just magical watching two really good actors connect like that.
    The one thing that amazed me about this episode is how many little details they got right. Glee has not been the best about that, but I really can’t think of anywhere they let something slip through the cracks. Every single negative thing about Dave was brought up and shot down. They addressed the cyber-bullying in their own fandom unflinchingly. All the adult characters took responsibility for dropping the ball. Continuity reigned, making it the best episode of the season, and one of the best in all of Glee.

38. A.R says:

Evil is knowing wrong and continue doing wrong. Dave Karofsky is not evil; he learned his lesson. Kurt Hummel chose to forgive his former bully, thereby examplifying his own noble qualities. Love between these two? Not now, not yet, perhaps never. Only Time can tell. Superb acting in this episode though; there’s no denying that.

39. Josh says:

I’d love a Kurt/Dave romance once their friendship has taken off and really healed old wounds. This story shows that people can move beyond their mistakes and be redeemed and be OKAY. And if Kurt has forgiven him and Dave learns to love himself, there is no reason to not take it to the next step. I think Max knows that and is trying to placate the crazy people who send cruel things to his twitter when he supports a Kurtofsky romance.
    ps. Klaine is not a good reason for them to not be together. And Klainers should stop acting like they think this is ~problematic~ and wrong. Blaine was forcing himself on Kurt when he was drunk and then got MAD at him for saying no. Which is very disturbing. And you still love that ship. So just shhh, stop pretending this is about anything more than your ship. Which is very boring, btw.

40. me11 says:

I have a bit of a crush on Max Adler–he sounds so humble and well-spoken! I have a lot of problems with the inconsistent writing on this show, but the stuff they’ve done for Karofsky has been very, very good IMHO. He’s been one of the most consistent characterizations on the show, and Max’s portrayl has always been spot on! I hope they bring him back later at some point.

Actually, come to think about it, the gay kids on the show are much more consistent characters than the rest of them. A testament to how that’s the only storyline(s) that the writers seemed to have really cared about maybe? There’s a lot of flip flopping and breaking up and general absurdity amongst the other kids and their “storylines”.

41. k says:

I think it’s bloody ridiculous that somehow, everyone is pointing this back to Darren Criss/Blaine/Klaine with their endless hate towards them. Give it a rest! It was never about Blaine or ship wars. This is about Karofsky’s personal struggle at the end of the day. Really, fandom… really?!

42. David says:

I am a gay man and think a (romantic) relationship between karofsky and kurt would be absolutly insulting and i promise the glee producers if they go that route it will be the final nail in the glee coffin!!
    Instead of giving development to a character that should have been gone a looooong time ago how about giving some to Blaine, who we still know nothing about after almost 2 seasons.
    A.R you talk about how noble it would be of Kurt to forgive karofsky but have you ever heard Chris talk about his RL bullies, i promise you he is not as forgiving and seems to really enjoy the fact that he is now rich and famous while they are stuck in dead end jobs, and why shouldn’t he be.But now Kurt not only forgives Karofsky but will for in love with him.
    If you can’t practice what you preach then don’t do it at all it makes you look like a hypocrite.

• John says:

Kurt forgives Karofsky because he UNDERSTANDS Karofsky. They are both gay. Kurt is not forgiving of the other jocks who bullied him because they are straight jerks who want nothing than to inflict pain and suffering. Same thing in real life.

• Geoffrey says:

And as a gay man myself (since we’re pretending that it makes our opinions more valid) , I find it ridiculous that you’re more concerned about getting more Blaine than about telling powerful stories about our struggles and the power of understanding, forgiveness and the human spirit. As for Chris, he’s expressed interest in Karofsky’s redemption story on a number of occasions. It may even be cathartic for him to find a place of empathy toward people who have hurt him in the past. Hatred is a horrible burden.

43. A.R says:

I hear you. I guess CC only plays Kurt and is not Kurt in RL. Maybe that’s why we all watch TV? So as to give us a chance to suspend our disbelief about being what we maybe not? Just my opinion.

44. Quinn says:

Now if Karofsky and Puck got together, THAT would be some good TV! LOL

45. brittanarules says:

I actually like Kurtofsky better then Klaine, Chris and Max have more chemistry than Chris and Darren.

46. Ben Kabak says:

How many gay kids go to this school?

47. Kevin_BGFH says:

“TVLINE | Do you think part of Karofsky dreams of a future with Kurt?
    No. I never thought Karofsky lusted after Kurt. I never saw it as sexual; I always saw it as a yearning for a genuine human connection.”
    That sounds very real to me. When I first came out, I would look at every gay man I met and wonder if we were going to end up in love. Even if I didn’t really see anything special in them, I was so starved for an emotional connection in a way that my straight brother, who had girlfriends throughout grade school, never had to question. I got over that pretty quickly once I had a chance to make more gay friends.

48. Erin says:

Leave it to the writers of Glee to deal with such controversial topics as teen suicide and bullying – with such understandable, down to earth eloquence. I wish the same could be said for more shows aimed at our kids.

49. xkelpiex says:

What you guys don’t understand is that everyone involved with Glee is sneaky and will tell you one thing when really another will happen. A Kurtofsky romance could def be in the cards. I don;t think it will, myself, but you should never trust a Glee’s cast member’s word.