Ratings for the Amazing Race and Celebrity Apprentice Premieres, Pan Am Finale

Apologies for the generic-y headline, but it’s kind of a mixed and uncertain bag with this Sunday’s ratings, due to golf overrun on CBS and conflicting benchmarks. But here goes!

As officially approximated by CBS, The Amazing Race 20 came out of the starting gate with 9.9 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating. Versus a year ago, the competition series was up a few percentage points, yet down from its fall opener.

Sunday’s other premiere, The Celebrity Apprentice, averaged 7.4 million total viewers and a 2.6 rating, which is on par with the NBC series’ previous opener.

The night also offered up one finale: ABC’s Pan Am touched down with an audience of 3.9 mil while scoring a 1.2 rating, which marks a sizable if irrelevant jump from its previous, Grammy Awards-impaired outing. (Prior to that irregular week, Pan Am drew a 3.74/1.2.).

A few other quick notes:

* On ABC, Once Upon a Time (9.7 mil/3.0) drew a few extra eyeballs but was flat in the demo versus its Grammys-depressed numbers; nonetheless, the freshman was Sunday’s highest-rated program. Desperate Housewives (7.55 mil/2.2) gained 18 and 22 percent week-to-week. It could/should be noted, however, that both ABC dramas were down double digits versus their last “regular” outings.

* The Simpsons (5.8 mil/2.6) celebrated 500 episodes with gains of 30 percent.

* In other thoroughly approximated CBS numbers, The Good Wife (9.6 mil/2.1) appears down a bit, as does CSI: Miami (9.8 mil/2.1).

1. kevin says:

Now that Pan Am is done, it’s all up to ABC’s decision on whether or not the period drama is really canceled depending on its own struggles in the ratings. :(

• rod says:

Brothers and Sisters was doing a lot better last year in the same time slot and still got cancelled, and i still miss the Walkers

• Darcy says:

This is a great show, are you kidding? We finally get a real show not all those reality crap shows and they cancel the show. What’s going on in America with T.V.?

2. apor says:

Low ratings all around. Will this be another week like last where most shows post series lows.

3. Djb says:

What about the downton abbey finale? Any ratings info?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As with cable ratings, PBS numbers do not come in until much, much later — and with the holiday and all, maybe not even for another day or two.

4. Sarah says:

You don’t mention that last night was the final episode of Downton Abbey….I have a feeling numbers for shows like The Good Wife will be better next week

5. Juli says:

At this point, can ABC create a spin-off centering around the spy world, and featuring Kate? Pan Am started off with an interesting premise; but, it went downhill

• Joseph Oroza says:

Excellent concept and attention to details! Bad writers and story lines. Shame, could have been as succesful as Mad Men.

6. Tamara says:

I really hope that Pan Am gets renewed. I know the actors are going for pilot season, but I think the show is great. The show seems to be getting ok ratings, so hopefully the network will think about it and the fanbase.

7. Nick says:

I think you mean apologies. Not apologizes.

8. Sarah says:

Glad to see at least OUAT won the night. It was a good episode even if I wanted more answers than we were given (in fact I’m not sure we even got answers…only more questions).

• Jenn says:

That’s what makes this show so darn addictive!!! I feel like if I miss even 5 seconds of it I’m going to miss that all important clue! Sign of a great show :) So bummed no new show for 2 weeks.

9. Jeff says:

Love PanAm, hope abc brings it back, has a great premise, the ensemble cast are all enjoyable to watch.

10. nicky says:

Thanks so much for all the information.
    I really do hope Pan Am will get renewed. I kinda fell in love with the concept of the show, and the writing’s good, and the actors and actresses are all amazing. I would be so sad to see them go.

11. Carla says:

My thoughts on the last moments of PanAm, when the whole cast was standing there watching the ball drop, was “What great potential this show had, and what a mess they made of it.” If they get picked up (highly unlikely), we’ll have one storyline of a Jewish girl searching for her brother lost in WWII France, one of a CIA agent in training, and one of a weird love triangle featuring husband, wife and mistress. This is the show’s problem- IT’S ALL OVER THE PLACE! But it still doesn’t find the time to focus on small, interesting character developments. You’d think Maggie would have lost her footing a little more what with her idol killed and all, but she only mentions it once in passing and then goes on to make out with some a**. Really? Very disappointing.

12. PutAforkINit says:

Who the heck are these people who watch CELEB APPRENTICE?
    That’s the real story here — the dumbing down of America.

• Joseph says:

I actually like Celeb Apprentice , with the exception of the Board Room that makes up 1/2 of any episode.
      The Trumps are just nasty people so little attraction there when it comes to the cut throat aspects of the board room where they go out of their way to create fights.
      What I love are the charities and some of the interaction we get from the cast and their solutions to the tests. But I do a heavy level of channel surfing during the Apprentice :)

13. Hannah says:

Hope Pan Am will get renewed! Love OUAT!

14. Mikaylah says:

I wish Pan Am would get renewed, although that is some very wishful thinking. I thought last night’s episode was great.

15. Bobbi says:

Of course, The Good Wife’s ratings were probably down. I tuned in at 9 to watch it and got stuck in the middle of The Amazing Race’s nonsense. So, I muted it and waited. TWENTY minutes later the show I wanted to see was starting. The way they treat this intelligent, entertaining show is shameful. I wish they’d change the night it is on so I can find it! Those that were recording it lost at least twenty minutes of it. Absolutely shameful!

• elr says:

That Amazing Race nonsense was on because golf ran over, and the big wigs at CBS chose to run their normal schedule, which meant that everything started late instead of not airing 60 Minutes. What they need to do is schedule the evening like this: 7:00 – 8:00 2 half hour repeats from earlier in the week or some other hour repeat that it wouldn’t hurt to not show if a sports event ran over; then show 60 Minutes at 8:00, The Amazing Race at 9:00 and The Good Wife at 10:00. They can cancel CSI Miami that show is horrible. If they would just schedule this way then a lot more of the public would watch their primetime programs.

• kathy says:

Noting ran late on the west coast. Wondering what the ratings were for golf though if it ran into the 8 o’clock hour on the east.
      AND I LOVE TAR! As does my husband & my sister, and my daughter’s teacher and her family and my b-i-l and their family.
      Even though I am sick and tired of CBS putting on people from Survivor! And now this year they’ve added from Big Brother! Yuck.
      TAR isn’t so much about screwing over the competition, but dealing with traveling all over the world, working with a person 24/7 for 30 days, time changes, different languages, really bad cab drivers!
      And what’s with all the muscles and tats this season?

• Doug-H says:

CBS On Demand is the way to go.. No delays or worries about how to record stuff… You can’t really blame CBS.. the golf ran over by over an hour.. Where I do have problems with the way CBS has the overruns with NFL football which are scheduled to end at 7pm even with a 4:15 start… Never happens.. But they do it for a reason since NFL overruns draws ratings and forces people to watch stuff live if they don’t have On Demand option and that really only help night owls who can watch after midnight when it becomes available..

16. Mark says:

I loved last night’s eppy of Desperate Housewives. Gabby was a scream, so funny. I liked how Porter was the father. We finally figured out who sent the notes, Orson. Only complaint is that marc cherry promised that mrs. Mccluskey would not die and now she has cancer. Not loving that.

• Mandy says:

The actress who portrays Mrs. McCluskey has cancer in real life. I hope it doesn’t end up like a similar situation in the early seasons of The Soprano’s where the actress who portrayed Tony’s mother was sick and then died. She appeared in a scene near the end of the following season and the buzz was about her being brought back to life.

17. Pan Am Fan says:

I was so sorry to see that last night was Pan Am’s finale; I really think it’s gotten a lot stronger and more interesting in recent months. The acting is great, and I really care about some of the characters (Ted and Laura, anyone?). What might be the odds of its renewal at this point?

• Ed says:

Pan Am will be renewed or picked up by another network if its fans make enought noise…we have had enough of stupid reality trash shows and Donald Trump..please.

18. Bj says:

Pan Am is DONE my delusional friends.

19. kevin says:

Don’t know how GCB would fare in the ratings when it debuts on March 4th.

20. Joseph says:

BTW , Broadcasting viewing has taken a huge hit since last Tuesday by about 10%+ , some think its a combo of the Spring effect starting early and some great Cable shows taking share , an example being The Walking Dead , last night.

21. Ella says:

I hope Pan Am get renewed, if only for Dean and Colette.

22. Laurel says:

If only NBC would cancel Celebrity Apprentice and Donald Trump.
    He is so obnoxious.

23. Amber says:

I was all about The Walking Dead on Sunday. That was the scariest episode I had seen in awhile. I can’t remember the last time I screamed instructions at a television character to look behind them.

24. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Thought I’d make a final note regarding Pan Am. I’ll miss the show, and I really liked it, but I don’t think it can/will be renewed for the fall [hope I'm wrong]. What I found interesting was that even though the show tried to make adjustments and changes in the series during these past 5+ months to improve ratings, the adjustments didn’t seem to help. Maybe there is a lesson here – perhaps too many ‘cooks in the kitchen’, with the network getting involved too much, the ratings falling too quickly, producers coming and going. I tend to agree with Carla’s comment above – the show was trying to be too many things – at least one of the story lines [characters] should have been dropped [more on that below].
    Also, after 14 episodes, I found the ones I liked best and found most entertaining were the ones with Bridget [Annabelle Wallis]in them – she really looked and acted the part of a 1960s stewardess. And finally, not to pick on any of the cast, but how much better and more believable this series might have been if Bridget was in the 14 episodes and Christina Ricci was in just 3 or 4. I just never figured out how/why Ricci was cast in this series. I’m sorry, I don’t understand. I didn’t understand it last spring during pilot season, and a year later and 14 episodes later, I still don’t understand. I like Christina, but she was simply not right for this role, a role Wallis would have played much better as the flight crew purser. The other stories tie together much better – Bridget and Colette had the European connection, Bridget and Kate worked for the spy agency, Kate and Laura were sisters. Those four connect. But every time Maggie was on screen, I felt the story line just stop cold – here we go again, another Maggie story line going no where and interfacing with none of the other cast. Maggie had that one good episode/back story [episode 'The Genuine Article'], and that was about it. Too bad – remove that one character, recast the pilots, and I think you have a better, more streamlined storyline and show. Just my opinion.
    Nonetheless, I’ll miss the show, and I doubt GCB will do any better in the ratings. RIP Pan Am and thank you for the 14 episode flight.

• Michael says:

Christina Ricci was selected because she was basically the only “name” cast member they had. According to the logic of Hollywood, she would attract viewers. It’s too bad this series will very probably disappear. Kudos to Karine Vanasse as Colette Valois. If anybody wants to see her really show some game, find the movie “Polytechnique” by Academy Award nominated Québec director Denis Villeneuve.

25. Amber says:

Hey, don’t you guys do the very funny recaps of The Amazing Race anymore? This season seems like the most interesting one I’ve seen in awhile. For the last couple of years, literally the only thing I liked about the show was the TVLine recaps. But this season is shaping up to have some interesting characters. I’m intrigued to see more episodes for a change.

26. Monika Kassees says:

They take away all the good shows and leave all the reality crap shows on!! Who makes these decisions??!!! Pan Am was an awesome show.

27. Dillon York says:

What is wrong with CBS on Sunday Night. Why watch it at all? The shows never start on time because of golf, football, basketball, baseball etc etc. How can you tape a show at 9pm when it starts at 9:42pm because of overtime in football at 4pm? then the 10pm show does not start until 10:42pm and ends at 11:42pm. Come on this is a Sunday night, some of us have to work at 7am in the morning so we change the station to ABC which airs its shows on time!!! Can under stand putting it back once but not that many times.

60 min was delayed, The goodwife was delayed and never saw Pan Am because we missed it.

28. otccor says:

I really enjoyed Pan Am and am sorry to read that the show will not be renewed. Any chance the show would be picked up by someone else?

29. Lee says:

Ratings are inaccurate….the reason why some are up & some are down..are largely due to the fact that when a new show comes out..u show us 6 episodes..and then we can’t find the dang thing…one week its not on..then the next week..still no new episodes..then we wait a third week..ooh..we get an episode..and then the next..no show.. We can’t follow a new show when its only on for a random 12 out of 30 weeks or whatever..U just get into a show and then by the time its on air again, we’ve forgotten what we watched 2 or 3 weeks prior! What happened to weekly shows??????? You can’t build a bond with a show..or have it be “your show” when its never on & completely undependable! Better off to rent TV seasons of shows when they make it to video! And with all the commercials on tv, no one watches in real time anyway..its all recorded…& watched later when we can fast forward through the dang commercials..that again are sooooo interruptive to a program..u honestly can’t get into it..8 minutes of show vs. 6 minutes of commercials! We are frustrated & I think a LOT of people have just given up on TV altogether..so take note networks!!! doesn’t matter what u put on..if all of this continues!

30. PAM AM: It took a season for a cast to gel and have a repor. They have reached that point and are an interesting cast. I don’t understand why you would end a show in development for nothing or something else more raw. There are plenty of blanks in the schedule to keep this one moving forward to continue to test the waters. Since they have a troupe of writers from desperate house wife’s looking for a cast. And this cast has already had the growing pains. Leave it in until you have something better to replace it. Just think you might end up with a reason for people to change the channel from CBS and watch. Then your advertising would be seen along with the shows being developed forward.
    Seems like a win win, People watching and people working you are already paying.
    Look how unfortunate it turned out when another network thought they could run a show without it’s name sake. I guess they are running it another year to save face.Because I’d say the waiting for it to get better has passed. but I digress.

31. This will be a excellent blog, will you be interested in doing an interview regarding how you designed it? If so e-mail me