Writers Guild Awards: Breaking Bad, Homeland and Modern Family Win Big

Get More: Awards, News

AMC’s Breaking Bad, Showtime’s Homeland and ABC’s Modern Family each came away with two wins at this year’s Writers Guild Awards, which were handed out on Sunday night.

Breaking Bad won for Best Drama Series — besting Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, The Good Wife and Homeland — as well as for the individual drama episode, “Box Cutter” (aka the season opener).

Homeland was honored in the New Series categories — winning over Game of Thrones, The Killing, Episodes and New Girl — and tied Breaking Bad in the episodic contest (with “The Good Soldier,” in which Brody beats the polygraph after hooking up with Carrie).

Modern Family won for Best Comedy (beating 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Louie and Parks and Recreation), and in the episodic comedy race (with the installment in which Phil and Claire are “Caught in the Act” by their kids).

Other TV winners include HBO’s Cinema Verite and Too Big To Fail (in the longform original and adapted categories), The Simpsons, The Colbert Report and General Hospital (over All My Children and The Young and the Restless)

Comments (18)

• General Hospital won for soaps? Ugh! The writing for that show has been horrible the past year!

Comment by George – February 19, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t it the only soap left though?

Comment by Carmichael – February 19, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If I am remembering correctly, GH was pretty good in the beginning of 2011, but I might be getting my years mixed up. Of course, I did not watch several months of GH last year because it was so terrible. However, OLTL was amazing for the better part of its last year.

Comment by Sarah – February 19, 2012 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, Modern Family wins yet again. Big surprise there. I seriously don’t understand all the love for this show. Is it funny? Sure. But season 2 was nowhere near as funny as season 1 and season 3 has been inconsistent. It’s also at a point where the characters are starting to turn into caricatures. I know many will disagree, but I thought both Parks and Rec and Louie were far more deserving of the Best Comedy award.

Comment by Michelle – February 19, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. I find Modern Family to be overly predictable. It is still funny but it’s not as funny when you can see the joke coming from the opening scene (or in the case of the episode where Mitchell thought he fathered his ex’s child who turned out to be her little person husband, from the ads for the ep). Modern Family was great in the first season because it pushed the envelope and now it’s just kind of ho hum. Parks & Rec has a really great year creatively and I’m shocked it is being snubbed! The third season was so close to a perfect year I couldn’t believe it. Maybe P&R gets snubbed because some of it is ad libbed? I can think of no other excuses.

Comment by Ari – February 20, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still find Modern Family to be a very funny show, but I will agree with you that Louie is much better written. Probably also Parks and Rec. And even though it wasn’t nominated, Community. I also think the particular episode they submitted, Caught in the Act, was one of their weakest episodes they’ve ever done, I’m so surprised to see it winning so many awards, like the WGA and the Emmy for best written episode.

Comment by Amber – February 21, 2012 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know if these are televised?

Comment by jenn – February 19, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t agree with you more modern family stoped being funny after the frist season and anybody else in that category would of been more deserving bt parks and rec and louie writers are comedic gold.

Comment by dot – February 19, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO happy for Breaking Bad! It’s always so successful for its acting but it stings when the writers and producers don’t also get recognition for their incredible work!

Comment by Alexis – February 20, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best drama series of the year should have been Homeland as well, or Game of Thrones, which is magnifically written, even though no one can argue with the great Breaking Bad anyway. Now, Modern Family beating Louie is just as outrageous as Community not being even nominated. MF has run its course as “best”, it’s still solid and good, but not something to go around collecting awards at all.

Comment by godzilla's_foil – February 20, 2012 05:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree about Game of Thrones and Community! I think Community is coming back in March or April! Finally!

Comment by barbara – February 20, 2012 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch many of the comedies but all the nominees in all the categories for the dramatic TV series were so good this past year, and each could be best drama award-worthy. This really is the Golden Age of drama on TV and I am loving every minute of it. Many thanks to the TV writers.

Comment by KatherineM – February 20, 2012 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still happen to think Modern Family is quite funny, although I wouldn’t mind seeing some love for other great comedies like Happy Endings, or Louie and P&R as others have mentioned.

Comment by DL – February 20, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What? No mention of Dean Pelton’s (Jim Rash, is it?) WGA Award for The Descendants?

Comment by ESLKid75 – February 20, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh my gosh, are you serious? The Descendants was written by Dean Pelton? I did not know this. This would explain Joel McHale tweeting his excitement over The Descendants win the other night. Well, now I’m excited that I’m going to be seeing Dean Pelton win an Oscar, because you know that’s winning Best Screenplay.

Comment by Amber – February 21, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Treme gets ignored again, and by the writers no less; WTF?

Comment by Tahoe Mike – February 20, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course, Parenthood is never nominated for anything. ugh. It should really win for acting though.

Comment by Fabian – February 20, 2012 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprised and pleased to see Homeland winning over Game of Thrones. I freaking love Homeland. I’m going to pay this show the best compliment I can think of….I like it as much as I liked Deadwood. And that Good Soldier episode was definitely one of their best. Claire Danes and Damian Lewis crackle when they are screen on together. They are like sharks circling each other. I definitely think they should be hooking up more in Season 2, and I hope the show finds a way to make that happen. Amazing chemistry between those two actors.

Comment by Amber – February 21, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post